Hey all, my kid cracked the display on his DTEK60, & I was wondering if the cost of replacing it is worth it? I remember back when his Z30 got crunched the display was nearly 70% of the cost of buying a new one! So it never was done & he migrated to the 50, then the 60.

Assuming that it's even possible for me to replace it myself, has anyone done it yet? Or know of where to get the best deal on the parts? As long as I'm asking I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of a cheap place to get the display for the Z30? If the price has gone down in the last year I can fix it to have a backup device in case I drop my cell & it finally cracks. Thanks in advance!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    12-19-17 07:32 AM
    eTradeSupply is a great source for replacement parts.... then there is always eBay.

I suspect you could buy a used Z30, rather than a new screen at this point.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-19-17 08:18 AM
    You are looking at $125-150 and a bunch of work. Just not worth it.

And I know since I opened my D60 so I can destroy the motherboard. I sold the carcass on eBay for $125.

If you can wipe yours, do it, then dump the remains on eBay.

You can get an LG G6 in either new or near-new condition for $300-350. I am seeing new LG V30's on the Los Angeles/Orange County craigslist for $500-550. Both are running Nougat and are being updated to Oreo. I am also seeing Pixel 2 XLs for around $650 at the moment.

I picked up my LG G6 a few months ago brand new for $400.

The bottom line is that there is just no reason hanging around BBMo/TCL products. They could have been the security focused android maker, but they showed with the Priv that they are just not willing to be that player. The Priv is using the Snapdragon 808, just like my wife's Nexus 5X. The Priv is dead with 6.0.1. The Nexus 5X is running 8.0 with 8.1 update in a month or so. Guess which one is more secure....
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-20-17 10:59 PM
    The bottom line is that there is just no reason hanging around BBMo/TCL products. They could have been the security focused android maker, but they showed with the Priv that they are just not willing to be that player.
    BBMo/TCL has absolutely nothing to do with the Priv.
    12-21-17 12:11 AM
    And that's a distinction most people won't make. All they will remember is that they got shat on exactly 24 months to the tee.

I am going to bet 20 bolivars (at black market exchange rate) that come July 2018, the DTEK50 will meet the same fate as the Priv, with the cross-hairs on the DTEK60 for Oct 2018. It will be 24 months exactly, just in time for the 3rd battery for many folks. Which is exactly why not that many will cry when this happens. Most of the DTEK60's will be completely unusable as a mobile devices by the 24 month mark if they are still sporting the original battery.
    12-21-17 01:44 AM
    The issue has nothing to do with TCL but rather in buying a phone that sells in low numbers or not buying a cheap phone to begin with. The second problem is not having a good case for the phone to begin with.
    dirk_ddiggler likes this.
    12-21-17 01:52 AM
    The consumers can't hear you over the sound of the BlackBerry badge on all those devices.

For the consumer, a blackberry is a blackberry, they don't care where it was built, and they don't care who screwed them over.
    dirk_ddiggler likes this.
    12-21-17 04:03 AM
    The consumers can't hear you over the sound of the BlackBerry badge on all those devices.

For the consumer, a blackberry is a blackberry, they don't care where it was built, and they don't care who screwed them over.
    We're not talking about "the consumers". I was responding to an individual who was complaining to the wrong party.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-21-17 06:15 AM
    Wasn't trying to complain, just was hoping to salvage the damn thing! Losing the Z30, DTEK50 & now the DTEK60 in the same year really hurts our budget. We've had multiple thousands of dollars in medical bills this year as well, so I had been hoping to keep it working for a few more months at least. While I don't regret any of the BB10 devices we've used, I didn't realize how far BlackBerry had fallen in both the devices & especially in customer service people who make it clear that they care so little about the users that (as my Sergeant used to say) they wouldn't bother to **** on us if we were on fire!

So I obviously regret that I suggested that the others buy the android phones when they switched from their BB10 phones. Oh well, even I can learn if I get burned enough times..

12-21-17 06:40 AM
    Wasn't trying to complain, just was hoping to salvage the damn thing!
    I was responding to @dirk.

Post#4.
    12-21-17 07:10 AM
    And that's a distinction most people won't make. All they will remember is that they got shat on exactly 24 months to the tee.
    Agreed. But I'm responding to you, not to everyone.
    12-21-17 07:12 AM
    In the US at least right now the best deal out there is the LG V20; there are a BUNCH of them that appear to be NOS (never used; they're booting with March firmware on them which immediately updates to current) and can be had for under $250.

Everything is a function of performance for price paid. At $700 I was no fan of the LG, but for $200-250? It's an unbeatable deal, especially considering that the battery is removable and thus trivially replaced if and when it wears out.

You lose DTEK (obviously) but can have the rest of the suite off the Play store, and it has Nougat on it now. Those devices also have extraordinarily-good RF performance -- shockingly so. They're BIG though -- for many people, too big.

Now if you can find a DTEK60 in the $300-350 area that's got a new battery in it and is otherwise pristine (or one that's NOS but is guaranteed in case the battery is compromised), that'd be a good deal too. Same CPU and RAM/sensor/etc configuration.... It's all a matter of price for performance.
    Last edited by tickerguy; 12-21-17 at 05:23 PM.
    12-21-17 08:30 AM
    Agreed. But I'm responding to you, not to everyone.
    This.

The consumers can't hear you over the sound of the BlackBerry badge on all those devices
    Conite, you and I keep going back and forth about a technicality that you and I understand. You repeat technicality. I repeat that consumer perceptions trump (no pun intended) technicalities and facts. Blackberry is a blackberry is a blackberry for 99%. It's only us here in the forums that know the difference and are passionate enough to post here at all. This needs to be kept in perspective.

I think this post summarizes the feeling:

https://www.androidauthority.com/bla...pdates-824374/
    12-21-17 06:18 PM
    In the US at least right now the best deal out there is the LG V20; there are a BUNCH of them that appear to be NOS (never used; they're booting with March firmware on them which immediately updates to current) and can be had for under $250..
    I wanted to throw in that the Essential PH-1 is selling for $449 in Best Buy right now. Steal of a deal for flagship specs and awesome design. It's not IP67/68 certified, so just keep that in mind. Oreo beta 2 is out right now.
    12-21-17 07:46 PM
    Scubafan my first Dtek 60 screen shattered months ago and I couldn't find any one that could get parts. So my insurance policy just sent me a check to replace the phone. I couldn't find another Dtek 60. But when I saw the price drop I picked a new one up.
    12-21-17 08:17 PM
    I wanted to throw in that the Essential PH-1 is selling for $449 in Best Buy right now. Steal of a deal for flagship specs and awesome design. It's not IP67/68 certified, so just keep that in mind. Oreo beta 2 is out right now.
    The Essential has two huge problems:

1. It's a microcap company (MUCH smaller than TCL!) which means if you break it, you got problems -- especially out of warranty. NO PARTS availability at all.

2. iFixit has rated it as basically a zero in terms of repairability as getting it apart without fracturing the back cover is basically impossible. So you're ENTIRELY reliant on the manufacturer and their support, whatever that may be. This also means if you break the screen (the other big risk with a cellphone) you just ate $449 since nobody covers physical damage of that sort under warranty, and with no ability to get it apart to change it and no parts......

Throw-aways for $449 don't work for me. For $250 I'll take the risk, never mind that I can get parts for the LG and the most-likely to fail part (the battery) is user-replaceable at low cost. Is it a *small* step back from the Essential and similar? Sure. It's also half the price, has Nouget on it now, has been getting security updates every couple of months and is supposed to have Oreo within the next month or two.

It's all cost:benefit in the end. Warranty support is only as good as the company providing it and post-warranty service is a fat goose-egg if the company is tiny has no parts depot available. At least with the TCL devices the big kahuna of "things that break" (the battery) is readily sourceable, and the 60 isn't hard to get apart to change it. The DTEK60 at $300-350 is also a good buy, IMHO, even without Nougat - if you can find one with either a replaced battery or a NIB unit.
    12-21-17 08:34 PM
    Could go around and around on what phone is the best value these days. For some even an argument that a $1000 iPhone X might be a good value might be valid (not in my book), as it's going to hold it value and be supported for years.

Essential is a great price for the hardware, but it's doubtful they'll sell enough for it to see a long life or much in the way of cheap replacement parts. FYI, the way to replace the Essential screen is from the front and not the rear... iFixit was holding it wrong

Me, I'm tired of being on the outside looking in. In my market Apple and Samsung devices rule, and repairs to both aren't too expensive. Not sure about LG devices, as no one I knows has one or has had to have one repaired. But niche devices like Essential, BlackBerry or now BBMo... no one here in my market is going to stock parts or have any experience doing repairs.

One good thing about the KEYone's screen lifting issue.... at least it forced them to get the replacement parts on the market sooner. Still kinda pricey...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-22-17 09:58 AM
    I am seeing new samples of the Essential PH-1 on the Los Angeles/Orange County craigslist for about $350. Essential might be a new company, but given that it's getting Oreo already, that's more support than we can claim for the D60.
    12-22-17 12:01 PM
    In the US at least right now the best deal out there is the LG V20; there are a BUNCH of them that appear to be NOS (never used; they're booting with March firmware on them which immediately updates to current) and can be had for under $250.

Everything is a function of performance for price paid. At $700 I was no fan of the LG, but for $200-250? It's an unbeatable deal, especially considering that the battery is removable and thus trivially replaced if and when it wears out.

You lose DTEK (obviously) but can have the rest of the suite off the Play store, and it has Nougat on it now. Those devices also have extraordinarily-good RF performance -- shockingly so. They're BIG though -- for many people, too big.

Now if you can find a DTEK60 in the $300-350 area that's got a new battery in it and is otherwise pristine (or one that's NOS but is guaranteed in case the battery is compromised), that'd be a good deal too. Same CPU and RAM/sensor/etc configuration.... It's all a matter of price for performance.
    Any recommendations on particular storefronts for the V20? I cracked my DTEK60 screen and got a quote for ~$140 to fix it (until they realized their vendors don't carry the screen), only to see the screen itself for that price online. So at this point I might just start looking for my next phone. The device is still usable so I'm in no hurry, though my original plan to wait for the Pixel 3 may not stick.
    01-13-18 02:45 PM
    Fry's appears to have them new, but at a slightly higher price-point. There are a bunch of places selling them on eBAY and elsewhere that look to be getting turn-ins from the carriers, whether people upgrading or NOS from locations that have closed in varying conditions -- some obviously used, others look not to be (some have extremely old firmware on them when powered up which implies they were never used at all.)

In general you have to be careful with "refurbs" and similar but it all comes down to price paid for what you get. As long as it's not DOA and everything works properly when you get it these deals (even though there's no warranty) in the $200-250 range look pretty good. You can buy two of them for what a new DTEK60 (or Motion) will cost, so.... yeah. It doesn't hurt that there are what appear to be sealed, OEM batteries available (at present anyway) for under $20 -- and they're user-changeable -- either.
    01-13-18 03:07 PM
    Fry's appears to have them new, but at a slightly higher price-point. There are a bunch of places selling them on eBAY and elsewhere that look to be getting turn-ins from the carriers, whether people upgrading or NOS from locations that have closed in varying conditions -- some obviously used, others look not to be (some have extremely old firmware on them when powered up which implies they were never used at all.)

In general you have to be careful with "refurbs" and similar but it all comes down to price paid for what you get. As long as it's not DOA and everything works properly when you get it these deals (even though there's no warranty) in the $200-250 range look pretty good. You can buy two of them for what a new DTEK60 (or Motion) will cost, so.... yeah. It doesn't hurt that there are what appear to be sealed, OEM batteries available (at present anyway) for under $20 -- and they're user-changeable -- either.
    I own both DTEK and problem with both is a screen that reminds me of the original iPhone durability wise. I'd apply the money towards a Motion if you want VKB BBMo experience. If that doesn't matter, but a G6 or V30. The G5 or V20 might be a long in tooth now.
    01-13-18 03:26 PM
    The V30, like the V20 when it was new, is a $700+ device. It simply is not the same market segment whatsoever.

Screen durability comparisons are IMHO idiotic; all are tempered glass, all will shatter if you drop them. If that's a problem get a case and pay attention to the design of said case. Oh, and give up the idea of "bezel-less" phones and similar idiocy, all of which make sure the glass goes RIGHT TO THE EDGE and thereby radically increases the probability that a drop will impact said screen.

The DTEK60 was an interesting mix of a device -- a flagship-class processor, full complement of RAM, and a decent (but not class-leading) camera with a moderate pricetag -- a nice deal. The Motion has double flagship endurance, a full complement of RAM and a decent (but not class-leading) camera along with good but not class-leading weather sealing -- and a moderate pricetag. Again, nice deal overall.

You have to look within the class of what you're interested in buying; trying to compare a Camaro to a Porsche is interesting, but other than both being cars they're not in the same segment of the game -- neither in capabilities or price.
    01-13-18 04:49 PM
    Rather than wait for the Motion (plus worry about lack of support if it dies) my kid gave up on BlackBerry altogether. Started with Z10, then Z30. When the Z30 was smashed between a wheelbarrow & user we were going to replace the display until I discovered that the part alone was nearly as much as buying a new one.

Got a DTEK50 that was in an Otterbox case when it fell a measured 10" onto a wood floor & the display cracked. I just have a cheap hybrid Seido case on my Q10 that's fallen dozens of times in the last few years yet looks pristine. Of course we were told by BlackBerry that the $500+ we'd spent 5 weeks earlier was flushed down the crapper as they wouldn't even partially cover repair. Got DTEK60 instead despite the specs not being as good as competition, & isn't waterproof or even splash resistant.

We just thought the "extra security" would be worth it. So when it cracked from a short fall thankfully the digitizer didn't break like on the last 2 phones so there was time to look for options.

Last week bought a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact with better specs than the DTEKs that can also survive 30 minutes at about 3'/1M depth as well. Loaded what BlackBerry apps were available but of course lost the DTEK program. So now I'm the last in the family using BlackBerry.

01-22-18 02:10 AM