Correct.

A Type C-C cable is inherently straight through and should be fine in any event. The risk with a laptop comes when you start trying to use it with OTHER THAN a C-C cable (e.g. using adapters.) THAT carries risk. There are no phones today that have USB-PD implemented; there will be in the future I'm sure, but not today -- so today, there's a 5V@3A limit on charging via USB C-C to the phone, or 15 watts. That's slower than QC3.0 can achieve, but won't break anything.

Be careful with laptops and adapters, in short. They're ok for things like Webcams and similar but trying to use them for power purposes of any sort is dangerous, and potentially dangerous to the laptop (not just the charger.) QC chargers plugged into a QC capable phone are not at risk.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-16-16 11:29 AM
    Correct.

A Type C-C cable is inherently straight through and should be fine in any event. The risk with a laptop comes when you start trying to use it with OTHER THAN a C-C cable (e.g. using adapters.) THAT carries risk. There are no phones today that have USB-PD implemented; there will be in the future I'm sure, but not today -- so today, there's a 5V@3A limit on charging via USB C-C to the phone, or 15 watts. That's slower than QC3.0 can achieve, but won't break anything.

Be careful with laptops and adapters, in short. They're ok for things like Webcams and similar but trying to use them for power purposes of any sort is dangerous, and potentially dangerous to the laptop (not just the charger.) QC chargers plugged into a QC capable phone are not at risk.
    Google Pixel series uses USB-PD.
    11-16-16 11:21 PM
    Google Pixel series uses USB-PD.
    So do the Nexus 5X/6P
    11-16-16 11:32 PM
    Careful with that assertion; it might be false. I'm reasonably sure it is with regard to the 5x/6p.

USB-PD allows charge rates up to 100 watts, massively beyond what QC permits (up to 18 watts.) But USB Type C can deliver power in either direction without the PD spec being implemented. The limit, however, for such a connection is 15 watts (3A @ 5V.)

I don't happen to have a Type C-connectorized USB power analyzer. I do have one with a Type A connector, which is how I check for QC chargers (and whether they're working correctly, along with what a given device is actually asking for.)
    11-17-16 08:35 AM
    Careful with that assertion; it might be false. I'm reasonably sure it is with regard to the 5x/6p.

USB-PD allows charge rates up to 100 watts, massively beyond what QC permits (up to 18 watts.) But USB Type C can deliver power in either direction without the PD spec being implemented. The limit, however, for such a connection is 15 watts (3A @ 5V.)

I don't happen to have a Type C-connectorized USB power analyzer. I do have one with a Type A connector, which is how I check for QC chargers (and whether they're working correctly, along with what a given device is actually asking for.)
    Are you saying any device that can't output 100W for charging can't be USB-PD compatible? That would mean most any small device battery pack would never be USB-PD which doesn't make sense if you want widespread acceptance by the public. It makes more sense to me that battery powered devices can be 3A and still be allowed under USB-PD.
    11-17-16 03:25 PM
    Are you saying any device that can't output 100W for charging can't be USB-PD compatible? That would mean most any small device battery pack would never be USB-PD which doesn't make sense if you want widespread acceptance by the public. It makes more sense to me that battery powered devices can be 3A and still be allowed under USB-PD.
    No, I'm saying that without PD it is prohibited to vary Vbus under the USB-C spec.

USB-PD allows up to 20V @ 5A. Importantly, it also does negotiation using only the Vbus lines which is necessary to be able to pass data at the same time you're running power. It is that requirement (using the data lines, which is what QC does) that Benson and others are garfing about, as that allows VBus to be increased and under the USB-IF spec that's not allowed.

Without that negotiation in the USB-PD world you're limited to 5V @ 3A.

Find me a power bank that delivers more than 3A@5V and you've got one that does USB-PD in full. There are a handful of AC chargers that claim to but I've yet to see a portable power bank that does.
    11-17-16 04:06 PM
    i just bought these 3. I hope they don't fry my phone lol:
    Google (Benson Leung) Tested USB-C Cables-capture.png
    11-23-16 07:00 AM
    i just bought these 3. I hope they don't fry my phone lol:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	412793
    Anker just recalled a bunch of USB-C cables:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08...-usb-c-cables/

Since it's like 3 months ago, hopefully it's not that batch anymore.
    11-30-16 10:01 AM
    Here's the package of cables I bought... they're working fine.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C2OAFRE/?tag=crackberry07-20&ascsubtag=UUcbUvbUpU12682560[/url?tag=crackberry00-20&ascsubtag=UUcbUvbUpU12682560]

And this is the car-charger I have and am using (which is also working great)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B2BMIMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    11-30-16 10:09 AM
    Anker just recalled a bunch of USB-C cables:

Anker issues recall and replacements after researcher demonstrates unsafe USB-C cables

Since it's like 3 months ago, hopefully it's not that batch anymore.
    haha thanks, but that's not mine. mine are not the affected model number. thanks for the scare though.
    11-30-16 11:02 AM
    Thought I'd leave this here, since DTEK60 is allegedly BlackBerry's first USB-C phone, and given the mess USB-C is.

List of safe to use USB-C cables.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    https://plus.google.com/102612254593...ts/1PJZT2g61Ag
    This is what I got from my distributor. Got one for myself and one for my wife. I now use them as my default cables with the Quick Chargers that came with the DTEK60s. The original cables from the DTEK60 boxes...I use them with the rapid travel chargers that came with the bundle deal via shopblackberry.

These USB 3.1 to USB C cables are crazy fast when I'm transferring pics / videos back and forth to my DTEK60 connected to either my laptop or desktop's USB 3.0 slot. I'm using a class 10 64GB Sandisk microSD as internal memory.
    Attached Thumbnails Google (Benson Leung) Tested USB-C Cables-13500.jpg  
    Last edited by qphone; 11-30-16 at 01:18 PM.
    11-30-16 01:08 PM
    This is what I got from my distributor. Got one for myself and one for my wife. I now use them as my default cables with the Quick Chargers that came with the DTEK60s. The original cables from the DTEK60 boxes...I use them with the rapid travel chargers that came with the bundle deal via shopblackberry.

These USB 3.1 to USB C cables are crazy fast when I'm transferring pics / videos back and forth to my DTEK60 connected to either my laptop or desktop's USB 3.0 slot. I'm using a class 10 64GB Sandisk microSD as internal memory.
    ...I don't think DTEK60 supports USB 3.

DTEK60 & DTEK50 Specs ? Specifications for Android BlackBerry Smartphone - Canada
    11-30-16 02:56 PM
    From that link...you are correct. Got those cable since it supports 3A highspeed charging. Being USB 3.1 is a bonus I guess...

But I did notice that transferring 1GB videos back and forth from the DTEK60 were stupidly fast when connecting to my computers USB 3 slot.
    11-30-16 04:55 PM
    What's the difference between usb 2.0 and usb 3.0?
    08-14-17 10:38 PM
    What's the difference between usb 2.0 and usb 3.0?
    3.0 is faster.
    08-14-17 11:31 PM
    I bought a few adaptors for my old blackberry chargers. and they work wonders
    08-15-17 07:01 AM
    This is the adaptor I use.
    Attached Thumbnails Google (Benson Leung) Tested USB-C Cables-49676.jpg  
    08-15-17 12:17 PM
42 12