Mine arrived cracked from Blackberry. Two others I work with have had issues within a few days with camera lense glass cracking on light contact. Saw one instance first hand. Phone was leaning horizontally on a mug with you tube playing, mug slipped away and phone slid down and bumped on wooden desk. Spider web cracks all over lense. My other buddy bumped it on a wooden door when he walked by and cracked it too. I've had many phones that took more abuse then this. Love the phone but come on. Use better material please. Hopefully mines replaced because it came cracked but my two buddies I can bet will be out of luck.
    10-30-16 08:54 PM
    I don't own one but was worried about that. The shell case they ship with it is a poor design as it isn't raised around the lens to protect it either. Lens protrudes past.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 09:04 PM
    Maybe the camera lens is made out of plastic just like the priv's
    10-30-16 10:53 PM
    Luck of the draw. This is the first incident heard of. I've dropped my dtek60 twice and it's still good to go. Sucks that the camera lens sticks out. To me it's the only flaw in a really great phone. But cases may come out which may protect lens but had bulk to phone.
    10-31-16 05:53 AM
    The main camera cover appears to be glass and may be sapphire; it's got a tint to it that implies that it's not "plate glass" nor straight tempered.

That would make it very resistant to scratches, but shattering is still possible if so....
    10-31-16 08:34 AM
    Why would BlackBerry design it like that? Got mine today, and when you set it down it rests on the camera lens. It's like inviting it to break.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 10:51 AM
    Why would BlackBerry design it like that? Got mine today, and when you set it down it rests on the camera lens. It's like inviting it to break.

Posted via CB10
    You last name reminds me of one of the great players for Les Habs.....perhaps i am dating myself.
    11-04-16 10:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    It actually rests on the silver casing around the glass. But still prone to something. iPhone is the same issue.
    11-04-16 11:08 AM
    You last name reminds me of one of the great players for Les Habs.....perhaps i am dating myself.
    Yes, the Roadrunner. Distant relative, I'm told. Never met him of course.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 11:16 AM
    I read somewhere here from a member that there is a technical reason for the today's camera to be like that in a phone... apparently there is a need for physical space between the lenses and the sensors in order to take good pictures in such a small design...

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 11:18 AM
    It actually rests on the silver casing around the glass. But still prone to something. iPhone is the same issue.
    Yep; same issue across a LOT of different phones, including Samsungs, the Priv, iPhones and others. On a flat surface the camera "bump" doesn't actually rest on the front "glass" (in some cases glass, in others plastic) it rests on the frame around it -- but if the surface is uneven contact can easily happen.

The only real solution to this with any modern smartphone is a case of some sort that is thick enough to recess the frame. IMHO that's what you need to use if this is a factor for you, and for a lot of people with "ordinary handling" of their devices it is.
    11-04-16 11:19 AM
    Yes, the Roadrunner. Distant relative, I'm told. Never met him of course.

Posted via CB10
    Very cool .... maybe at the next family reunion!
    11-04-16 11:23 AM
    Do u guys check reviews. Or just buy a phone cause it's new. The rear lens sticking out shouldn't be the a shocker.
    11-04-16 11:24 AM
    Well, for some people is a shocker all around, the lens being that way, and that there are reviews available online stating this for weeks already hahaha...

Do u guys check reviews. Or just buy a phone cause it's new. The rear lens sticking out shouldn't be the a shocker.
    11-04-16 11:40 AM
    I read somewhere here from a member that there is a technical reason for the today's camera to be like that in a phone... apparently there is a need for physical space between the lenses and the sensors in order to take good pictures in such a small design...
    It seems big in diameter for the little lense in the center. Also seems to be where the heat is at if this thing ever sweats which is thankfully not common in my usage. Could it be a heatsink of sorts too? Lol.
    11-04-16 12:34 PM
    Thanks for your helpful comment. I knew it protruded somewhat, and have handled a Priv and so knew about that too, but the one on the DTEK60 just seems like it would be very delicate, more so than the Priv or iphone.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 12:41 PM
    I use the leather pocket on my Priv right now. Does a decent job of keeping the camera free of junk and also protecting it from bumps or scratches. Kind of hoping for something similar with the DTEK60.
    11-04-16 12:59 PM
    I use the leather pocket on my Priv right now. Does a decent job of keeping the camera free of junk and also protecting it from bumps or scratches. Kind of hoping for something similar with the DTEK60.
    One of the great aspects of the Priv is the fantastic 18MP camera with Schneider-Kreuznach lens. Yes, it sticks out the back a bit, but there is a heavy monogrammed metal bezel around the lens to protect the camera. I find the camera "bump" very solid. The camera takes great pics! I hope the DTEK60 is just as good!!
    11-04-16 08:25 PM
    It's nice everyone is discussing how easy or common if you have a phone with protruded lenses to break - that's true, they're more prone.

However, the op stated his lens arrived cracked.

His friends did not drop their phones on the ground or sustain any significant impact but rather very small bumps.

#whatisclassic
    11-04-16 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry did not design the phone
    11-04-16 09:16 PM
    just wanted to report I bought a BRAND NEW.... DTEK60 from BHphoto and received yesterday and the camera lens was already cracked out of the box.
    01-25-17 08:39 AM
    Two comments to make:
    - Get yourself the incipio case - it protects the camera and is a pretty nice case overall.
    - Interestingly, I read that the Pixel is wedge shaped as they took that approach to avoid a camera bump. I guess the Dtek60 could have been thicker on the top as well to make the camera flush with the back.
    01-25-17 01:41 PM
    Most thin phones will have a "bump" for the lens. Depends on what the lens is made of... plastic or polymer or easily scratched whereas sapphire are only scratched by diamond or sapphire itself.

I know for a fact that the lastest iphone uses sapphire... have no idea about the other phones
    01-25-17 04:43 PM
    My rear camera lens cracked too, I guess that's the problem using glass instead of plastic. Does anyone know if a camera lens from the Nexus 5 would work or any other phone, with a similar size, seems as though they should?

https://www.amazon.com/Dogxiong-Genu...UvbUpU12942095

https://www.canadiancellparts.com/pa...s=camera+lens#

Even the iphone one seems like it might fit?? Anyone have any luck?
    06-27-17 05:23 PM