I'm on a Priv, and I love everything about it. I'm not worried about the year old specs now-a-days. Literally the only thing that makes me envious of the DTEK 60 is the fingerprint sensor.

My work email requires a PIN lock, but I do use smart lock and I always am wearing an android wear watch, so I rarely have to type it in, but I still deal with the lockscreen. I just can't get over watching people unlocking their phone and bypassing the lockscreen with a touch of the finger.

My question is for those that have a 60 and this is not your first fingerprint sensor, has it been the revelation to you that my mind is trying to convince me that it is?
    11-04-16 01:13 PM
    It is very fast and works very well.

Is it very secure? No.
    Randal Yandal and Mirko935 like this.
    11-04-16 01:15 PM
    Why not secure??? I thought the whole purpose was without your fingerprint the phone is a no go.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 01:56 PM
    I like the convenience of the fingerprint scanner and that apps that utilize it. Makes things easy. This is my second phone with the fingerprint scanner, and based on my experiences the DTEK60 scanner is a little slower than the Galaxy S7 but the DTEK scanner is less finicky about fingers being wet, cold, etc.
    11-04-16 02:04 PM
    Why not secure??? I thought the whole purpose was without your fingerprint the phone is a no go.

Posted via CB10
    Because it's trivially easy to lift a fingerprint from the device itself (you DO hold it, right?) :-)

It's more-secure than a 4-digit PIN (probably), especially if someone can get a picture or video of you using it. But it's FAR less secure than either a long alpha password or a picture password.

It wins big on convenience though....
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-16 02:16 PM
    Tks never have bothered to set up any security features on my cell phone I find it a pain ever time I want to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Menage likes this.
    11-04-16 03:30 PM
    I remember the older Iphones having issues with animals being able to open the fingerprint unlock. Has there been any random instances in this case where a non-user is able to consistently unlock?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 03:43 PM
    Finger print scanners are majorly for convenience and less about security...even BlackBerry said so.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 03:45 PM
    Key points if you're going to use a fingerprint scanner:

1. Lobby for them to be unusable for screen lock but usable for *application* locks. This is not currently supported by BlackBerry, but would measurably add to security, since you'd have to unlock the screen first (e.g. with a picture password.)

2. Enroll only *one* fingerprint. Figure out which way you hold the phone "usually", which finger that means you'll be in a position to use, and enroll only *that* finger. This cuts the false-positive risk down *and* at the same time makes it harder to use a lifted print (since the bad guy doesn't know which one to lift and use.)

With that said while #1 is a meaningful improvement it's not supported, and #2 is only a marginal improvement. If you're ok with the limitations then go ahead and use it, but don't believe it's particularly secure, because it's not.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-16 03:58 PM
    Finger print scanners are majorly for convenience and less about security...even BlackBerry said so.

Posted via CB10
    No doubt. I know many people buy BlackBerry for security, heck the name of the phone is after the security software, but I am more interested in BlackBerry for their physical keyboard initially, and now they have won me over having used their software fore a year (I'm a forever android user, and BlackBerry does android better than just about everyone). Throw a fingerprint on the Priv and I'd be set, but just asked the question strictly from a convenience standpoint.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-16 05:10 PM
    I didn't think it was useful but yes, it is something you have to use to appreciate. and then like BB10 gestures, once you get used to it and get prompted for password like (on boot) you get annoyed.
    11-04-16 07:30 PM
    Tks never have bothered to set up any security features on my cell phone I find it a pain ever time I want to use it.
    Fingerprint scanning is much more secure than this.
    11-04-16 07:48 PM
    Key points if you're going to use a fingerprint scanner:

1. Lobby for them to be unusable for screen lock but usable for *application* locks. This is not currently supported by BlackBerry, but would measurably add to security, since you'd have to unlock the screen first (e.g. with a picture password.)

2. Enroll only *one* fingerprint. Figure out which way you hold the phone "usually", which finger that means you'll be in a position to use, and enroll only *that* finger. This cuts the false-positive risk down *and* at the same time makes it harder to use a lifted print (since the bad guy doesn't know which one to lift and use.)

With that said while #1 is a meaningful improvement it's not supported, and #2 is only a marginal improvement. If you're ok with the limitations then go ahead and use it, but don't believe it's particularly secure, because it's not.
    Number 1 is a great idea.
    11-04-16 08:37 PM
    Exactly!!

I wonder if their marketing VP was in charge of hiring the fingerprint security guy...

Posted via CB10
    11-07-16 03:15 AM
    Glad to hear it's quick and responsive
    11-07-16 10:35 PM
    This is my first phone with a FPS, but I enjoy it. Its fast and easy to get into my phone. Only downside for me personally is that it is a tad bit small.
    11-08-16 09:37 AM
    Wait - BlackBerry users using fingerprint scanners? Isn't this an insecure gimmick? Aren't you worried that you can't change your fingerprints or reattach fingers that have been severed to gain access to your phone?
    app_Developer and John Albert like this.
    11-08-16 05:10 PM
    Because it's trivially easy to lift a fingerprint from the device itself (you DO hold it, right?) :-)

It's more-secure than a 4-digit PIN (probably), especially if someone can get a picture or video of you using it. But it's FAR less secure than either a long alpha password or a picture password.

It wins big on convenience though....
    So you have proven that a finger print can be lifted from the phone and used to unlock it? It's not as simple as you think.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 05:18 PM
    Yes it is
    zephyr613 likes this.
    11-08-16 05:52 PM
    Didn't think fingerprint scanners were important until I got it on my S7.. Owning both I can say the dtek60 is way better.. Faster and more accurate.. Not to mention it is positioned in a more convenient spot.. With the S7 sometimes I have to try twice to get it to work.. With the DTEK60 it just works all the time.

Really happy with it and probably one of the features that will soon become standard across the board.. This is stopping me from using my priv.. Which I was planning on using occasionally along with my dtek60..

I use password keeper a lot, and being able to unlock it with the scanner is super convenient..
    11-08-16 10:07 PM
    Eye scanner is more secure.
    Fingerprint Sensor Impressions-demolition_man_3_eyeball.jpg
    11-18-16 06:32 AM
    So you have proven that a finger print can be lifted from the phone and used to unlock it? It's not as simple as you think.

Posted via CB10
    Actually it is....
    11-18-16 06:42 AM
    One I hate on Dtek60: after deep-sleep lock or use App Screen Off and Lock, regardless of wake up via button or FP sensor, always I am forced to use PIN password for "better security". No FP sensor, no Picture password.

For BlackBerry people (if any insider read this): It is WRONG!
    Picture password is more secure and I don't want to be forced to less secure PIN password method!
    11-18-16 06:56 AM
    The fingerprint sensor is fantastic and far more useful than I had anticipated. I use it a dozen times per day. So quick compared to typing in a code! I also use it for some individual apps as a sign in.
    11-18-16 07:30 AM
    One I hate on Dtek60: after deep-sleep lock or use App Screen Off and Lock, regardless of wake up via button or FP sensor, always I am forced to use PIN password for "better security". No FP sensor, no Picture password. For BlackBerry people (if any insider read this): It is WRONG! Picture password is more secure and I don't want to be forced to less secure PIN password method!
    I have never been asked for that *except* on boot (which does require it.)
    11-18-16 07:54 AM
28 12