I have owned a Priv since day one. These are the two biggest issues I am concerned with when comparing it with the Priv. Anyone know the hardware details of the camera to compare it with the Priv? Also, any reason to believe the smaller battery of DTEK 60 would be equal to that of the Priv's battery?

Just asking...
    09-28-16 02:35 PM
    The camera on the Priv had one of the highest dxo mark scores when it first came out. It was a sony sensor camera as is the 21mp one in the dtek60. So I would say more of the same in quality.

The cpu with be a big bump in quality. Another 1gb of ram will up it too.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 03:00 PM
    I have seen that the MP are more with the 60, but that doesn't really mean anything. I also see the aperture for the rear cameras are the same. I just wonder how the lenses and such stack up?
    09-28-16 03:19 PM
    I have seen that the MP are more with the 60, but that doesn't really mean anything. I also see the aperture for the rear cameras are the same. I just wonder how the lenses and such stack up?
    It's a blend of software adjustments , pixels and sensor.

09-28-16 03:26 PM
    They are both Sony sensors, which bodes well. Until Dxo can test it you won't have a direct comparison.

My only concern is apparent lack of OIS. This has particular relevance only for static (non-moving) subjects in low light conditions. OIS (such as I have on most of my dSLR lenses -- but not all) reduces camera shake, so on longer (slower shutter speed) exposures where the subject is not moving it allows a clean shot for hand-held cameras at slower shutter speeds than otherwise possible -- typically about 3 (and occasionally 4) stops worth of improvement.

It does nothing for a moving subject, however -- which means that most of the time it will do nothing for you when taking pictures of ​people. While there are digital IS systems that use the sensor to attempt to perform the same function (and there are rumors the cam module in the DTEK60 has that) they are generally inferior, usually being only good for 1 or 2 stops of improvement.

Megapixels alone mean little at the resolving power available with small-lens devices (and all phone cameras are.) What is important, however, is sensor noise, read-out speed (for video where "tearing" becomes a factor on panned shots) and (especially) aperture. Both cameras have the same f/stop so that will help a great deal. In addition the front-facing camera is likely far superior; the Priv's is sad in capability, simply due to physical space limitations (they couldn't fit a better one in the thin extending piece.)

I'm expecting approximately equal performance for the rear camera to the Priv (which I find excellent) and far-superior for the front. What I would *really* like, but don't know if we'll get, is RAW mode. Being able to eliminate JPEG compression artifacts (you do need to post-process then however to use the images in something such as Lightroom) would be VERY nice.
    DroidBerryGuy likes this.
    09-28-16 03:56 PM
    What I would *really* like, but don't know if we'll get, is RAW mode. Being able to eliminate JPEG compression artifacts (you do need to post-process then however to use the images in something such as Lightroom) would be VERY nice.
    I shoot photography professionally and only shoot RAW. I literally do not know how any of my cameras processed jpeg looks like apart from the preview on the cameras LCD screen. Admittedly I have photographed very little with the phones I have previously had as I found their quality very low, but I have been surprisingly impressed with what I have seen of the Priv's images so far though I have never imported any of its images into Lightroom to really look at it. I still haven't shot a lot using it, but promised myself to do so more.
    However, I have no interest in shooting RAW with a phone and doing any post. Not at all. Why would I? I'll be using it to quickly, conveniently capture memories. Anything else more serious I'll use one of my cameras. I do hope the continue to develop their in camer... er, in phone processing and from what I see of the Priv, they seem to be heading in the right direction. From the specs I've seen, I would expect at least the same from the Dtek60, but we won't know until it's tested.
    09-28-16 04:19 PM
    I will not be surprised if the dtek60 gets better battery life than the priv. The snapdragon 820 is supposed to use 20-30% less power and the screen resolution is lower as well at 1080p opposed to 2560x1440. These factors should offset the difference in battery capacity.
    09-28-16 05:08 PM
    I will not be surprised if the dtek60 gets better battery life than the priv. The snapdragon 820 is supposed to use 20-30% less power and the screen resolution is lower as well at 1080p opposed to 2560x1440. These factors should offset the difference in battery capacity.
    The screen is going to be the same from what I read. They said it was an upgrade BB was doing to the phone.

Also, I will eagerly await the camera tests. I would want an equally good camera if I am to consider the phone. So many times you see Chinese phones with high megapixel cameras, but they are just junk. Maybe this one will hold up.
    09-28-16 05:36 PM
    I hope it stays the same as the reference TCL 950 model which sports a 1080p screen. 2560x1440 resolution with a 3000mAh battery seems bad
    09-28-16 06:11 PM
    DTEK60 Vs. Priv on Camera and Battery-1475105344120.jpg

This is from Phone Arena
    09-28-16 06:29 PM
    I hope it stays the same as the reference TCL 950 model which sports a 1080p screen. 2560x1440 resolution with a 3000mAh battery seems bad
    Is it going to be QHD, if you have been following the news you would have noticed the specs leaked from BlackBerry's official website stating 2560x1440

09-28-16 06:29 PM
    I wish they stuck with a 1080p screen resolution but that's not the case, it's going to be 1440p resolution. The fact that the TCL950 has 1080p screen with a 3000mah battery vs the DTEK60 which has the same battery but higher resolution screen sitting at 1440p, will make the battery weaker on the DTEK60. That screen will be sucking up juice like crazy.

I know the snapdragon 820 is more optimized which will use 20-30% less power but now BlackBerry has increased the the screen resolution which will work against the 3000mah battery. Just hoping we can get the same usage as a Priv. We will soon find out.

Thoughts anyone? Or am I over thinking this?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 10:19 AM
    I wish they stuck with a 1080p screen resolution but that's not the case, it's going to be 1440p resolution. The fact that the TCL950 has 1080p screen with a 3000mah battery vs the DTEK60 which has the same battery but higher resolution screen sitting at 1440p, will make the battery weaker on the DTEK60. That screen will be sucking up juice like crazy.

I know the snapdragon 820 is more optimized which will use 20-30% less power but now BlackBerry has increased the the screen resolution which will work against the 3000mah battery. Just hoping we can get the same usage as a Priv. We will soon find out.

Thoughts anyone? Or am I over thinking this?

Posted via CB10
    I think it will be the same as Priv. Priv's 808 processor sucks up more battery plus it has the same resolution screen as dtek60. Priv does have 400 more mAH but the dtek60 820 processor is 20-30% more efficient with battery life.

Randal Yandal likes this.
    09-29-16 11:00 AM
    I think it will be the same as Priv. Priv's 808 processor sucks up more battery plus it has the same resolution screen as dtek60. Priv does have 400 more mAH but the dtek60 820 processor is 20-30% more efficient with battery life.

OK good to know that. Thanks! Makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 12:13 PM
    Also depending on improvements on panel, it could be more energy efficient.

Not sure if it's LCD or OLED. But that can also be taken into consideration.

09-29-16 03:19 PM
    Also depending on improvements on panel, it could be more energy efficient.

Not sure if it's LCD or OLED. But that can also be taken into consideration.

I believe its AMOLED. Looks like the DTEK60 has the Idol 4s QHD screen which uses AMOLED.

09-29-16 03:22 PM
    OK good to know that. Thanks! Makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    Also you get quick charge 3. 80% battery charged in 30 minutes.

09-29-16 04:01 PM
    Also you get quick charge 3. 80% battery charged in 30 minutes.

Didn't know that either. That's a nice thing to have. If in a bind 80% charge can give more than I need to go until bedtime. Thanks! Not so worried about that battery anymore.

Can't wait for this phone to come out. I'm still on BB10 rocking a Z30, but from what I can see BlackBerry has done a wonderful job with the software side on Android. Hopefully one day they can get that HUB going like BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 04:12 PM
    Didn't know that either. That's a nice thing to have. If in a bind 80% charge can give more than I need to go until bedtime. Thanks! Not so worried about that battery anymore.

Can't wait for this phone to come out. I'm still on BB10 rocking a Z30, but from what I can see BlackBerry has done a wonderful job with the software side on Android. Hopefully one day they can get that HUB going like BB10.

Posted via CB10
    It's almost identical to the bb10 version now, especially if you set it up as a widget left of the home screen which gives it sort of a peak gesture. Plus the android version supports more apps.

09-29-16 05:07 PM
    It has the Sony IMX230 21 mp sensor, same as the ELEPHONE M3 and Moto X Style. From what I have been able to find, the Moto X Style had pretty good camera ratings. Can someone fully compare the two based on the info that is available.
    09-30-16 10:43 AM
    It's almost identical to the bb10 version now, especially if you set it up as a widget left of the home screen which gives it sort of a peak gesture. Plus the android version supports more apps.

Thanks for letting me know. I heard it was close to BB10 but not up to par with BB10 HUB. Will have to wait and see when I get my DTEK60.

Yes I know, the app gap is starting to be felt with BB10. All devs have abandoned ship and some of my Android apps stopped working.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 11:01 AM
    I have owned a Priv since day one. These are the two biggest issues I am concerned with when comparing it with the Priv. Anyone know the hardware details of the camera to compare it with the Priv? Also, any reason to believe the smaller battery of DTEK 60 would be equal to that of the Priv's battery?

Just asking...
    Technically speaking, they have the same screen resolution so the Priv should have a longer battery life but the 820 processor in the DTEK60 is more power efficient. So it would be close.

Posted via BlackBerry Leap (Crackberry Edition)
    09-30-16 03:08 PM
    Technically speaking, they have the same screen resolution so the Priv should have a longer battery life but the 820 processor in the DTEK60 is more power efficient. So it would be close.

Posted via BlackBerry Leap (Crackberry Edition)
    I agree. Plus, the back camera seems close to the Priv all minus having ois. The front is no contest. The processor will be hands down better. The priv has been hamstrung by constant heat issues since day one. One of the few drawbacks of the phone.
    09-30-16 04:56 PM
    Can't wait to see a priv vs. Dtek60 video comparison. If marketed right, blackberry could make the Dtek60 compete with the OnePlusThree and ZTE Axon 7. Those phone are nothing to sneeze at.
    09-30-16 04:58 PM
    Can't wait to see a priv vs. Dtek60 video comparison. If marketed right, blackberry could make the Dtek60 compete with the OnePlusThree and ZTE Axon 7. Those phone are nothing to sneeze at.
    There will be no marketing. BlackBerry doesn't do that.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    09-30-16 10:39 PM