And others will try to justify not switching mainly because they paid a lot for the Priv. I bought the Priv and now after a month or more with the DTEK60 can see huge differences.

*DTEK60 is far faster. Noticeably.

*DTEK60 is way smoother on scrolling. Noticeably.

*DTEK60 is much lighter and thinner, easier to hold and use. And feels more comfortable than the Priv even if the DTEK60 has its case on.

*DTEK60 charges up from low levels incredibly fast.

*DTEK60 has by far a superior construction.

*DTEK60 has significantly better connectivity and maintenance of connection to networks, to car Bluetooth, and to wifi.

*I didn't use the Priv pkb much and don't miss it now at all. Those keys sucked, frankly, even though we all wanted to say they were adequate, and that's one reason why most people don't use them as much as they thought they would when they bought the Priv (no, I can't prove that but I believe most would admit it if asked). The other reason is that the BlackBerry vkb is great, as it is on the DTEK60.

*The Priv started running so hot it would shut down during Skype. It was at times too hot to hold comfortably. DTEK60 runs beautifully with zero heat issues.

*DTEK60 battery usage is better, including during heavy usage and during simple rest overnight or during the day on my desk.
    I would tend to agree with most of these comments.

I have had the following devices:

� Torch 2 (9810) slider with OS7 / pkb / vkb
    � Z30 with OS10 / vkb only
    � Passport SE with OS10 / pkb / vkb
    � PRIV slider with Android / pkb / vkb
    � Dtek60 with Android / vkb only

I can say that each of the devices was excellent each in their own right. BlackBerry has always produced quality handhelds, and more than any other manufacturer has been driven to create innovative devices to meet market wants.

I have had the DTEK60 for about ten days, and I can say the following:

- Solid, well constructed professional device.

- Thinner and lighter than the PRIV, and more rigid.

- No heating problems as with the PRIV.

- Good four speakers on DTEK60, but not as loud as the Z30.

- The DTEK60 5.5" display is slightly larger than the 5.4" on the PRIV, but the DTEK60 display seems much larger because it is brighter and colours more vibrant due to higher pixel density.

- VKB on par with PRIV since they are both Android. I still miss the performance of the original BlackBerry OS10 vkb on the Z30 and the Passport since the predictive text in multiple languages was more accurate. The BlackBerry vkb on the DTEK60 and the PRIV are very good, but not as excellent as the original OS10 version.

- Cameras: The DTEK60 21MP Camera is excellent, and in default setting produces wider panoramic shots than the PRIV 18MP camera. The 18MP camera on the PRIV is nonetheless excellent, and I have had many compliments on the photos I post on line. I find the DTEK60 21MP camera is at least as good or even better, and have had compliments on the DTEK60 21MP photos as well. I have not had problems with "low light" that some have claimed. The front facing 8MP camera on the DTEK60 is also far superior to the front facing 2MP camera on the PRIV.

- Scrolling, navigating, and Web surfing is faster on the DTEK60 both because it has a better processor than the PRIV, but also because after a year of use my PRIV has naturally slowed down as most devices do with extensive use.

- I really like the fingerprint sensor to access the phone. The phone lights up immediately. This is a first for BlackBerry.

- Charging is fast with either the stock charger or the traveller "rapid recharger."

- A case is a must since the DTEK60 is thin and slippery given the glass on both the back and front. I have put on the BlackBerry OEM "soft case.". I have also put on a screen protector. Note that the camera lens does protrude slightly with the soft case, but the camera lens protrudes on the PRIV too.

- The earphone jack is on the top of the Dtek60 where it should be, whereas it was on the bottom on the PRIV.

- So far calls seem clear. I never dropped a call with my other BlackBerry devices. Note that Z30 had the innovative Paratek antenna. Time will tell whether the DTEK60 is as good for voice calls.

- The is no pkb on the DTEK60, and I occasionally miss that.

- There is a flashing message LED on the DTEK60, but only in red.

- What I really miss is the accuracy of the original OS10 BlackBerry software on the vkb with excellent predictive text and auto correct in multiple languages, on both the Z30 and Passport SE. Neither the Android PRIV nor Dtek60 have that level of accuracy, although their vkb's are still very good.

Overall I find the DTEK60 to be a nice upgrade from the PRIV, with solid metal and glass construction, same BlackBerry features like Hub, keyboard, security, and message LED, great cameras front and back, but with access to tons of Android and Google apps. The price and free accessories available at BlackBerry and Crackberry make the DTEK60 a winner!

These are my thoughts!

TonyTheCanuck
    bigjman and the3maples like this.
    11-20-16 10:48 AM
    I would tend to agree with most of these comments.

I have had the following devices:

� Torch 2 (9810) slider with OS7 / pkb / vkb
    � Z30 with OS10 / vkb only
    � Passport SE with OS10 / pkb / vkb
    � PRIV slider with Android / pkb / vkb
    � Dtek60 with Android / vkb only

I can say that each of the devices was excellent each in their own right. BlackBerry has always produced quality handhelds, and more than any other manufacturer has been driven to create innovative devices to meet market wants.

I have had the DTEK60 for about ten days, and I can say the following:

- Solid, well constructed professional device.

- Thinner and lighter than the PRIV, and more rigid.

- No heating problems as with the PRIV.

- Good four speakers on DTEK60, but not as loud as the Z30.

- The DTEK60 5.5" display is slightly larger than the 5.4" on the PRIV, but the DTEK60 display seems much larger because it is brighter and colours more vibrant due to higher pixel density.

- VKB on par with PRIV since they are both Android. I still miss the performance of the original BlackBerry OS10 vkb on the Z30 and the Passport since the predictive text in multiple languages was more accurate. The BlackBerry vkb on the DTEK60 and the PRIV are very good, but not as excellent as the original OS10 version.

- Cameras: The DTEK60 21MP Camera is excellent, and in default setting produces wider panoramic shots than the PRIV 18MP camera. The 18MP camera on the PRIV is nonetheless excellent, and I have had many compliments on the photos I post on line. I find the DTEK60 21MP camera is at least as good or even better, and have had compliments on the DTEK60 21MP photos as well. I have not had problems with "low light" that some have claimed. The front facing 8MP camera on the DTEK60 is also far superior to the front facing 2MP camera on the PRIV.

- Scrolling, navigating, and Web surfing is faster on the DTEK60 both because it has a better processor than the PRIV, but also because after a year of use my PRIV has naturally slowed down as most devices do with extensive use.

- I really like the fingerprint sensor to access the phone. The phone lights up immediately. This is a first for BlackBerry.

- Charging is fast with either the stock charger or the traveller "rapid recharger."

- A case is a must since the DTEK60 is thin and slippery given the glass on both the back and front. I have put on the BlackBerry OEM "soft case.". I have also put on a screen protector. Note that the camera lens does protrude slightly with the soft case, but the camera lens protrudes on the PRIV too.

- The earphone jack is on the top of the Dtek60 where it should be, whereas it was on the bottom on the PRIV.

- So far calls seem clear. I never dropped a call with my other BlackBerry devices. Note that Z30 had the innovative Paratek antenna. Time will tell whether the DTEK60 is as good for voice calls.

- The is no pkb on the DTEK60, and I occasionally miss that.

- There is a flashing message LED on the DTEK60, but only in red.

- What I really miss is the accuracy of the original OS10 BlackBerry software on the vkb with excellent predictive text and auto correct in multiple languages, on both the Z30 and Passport SE. Neither the Android PRIV nor Dtek60 have that level of accuracy, although their vkb's are still very good.

Overall I find the DTEK60 to be a nice upgrade from the PRIV, with solid metal and glass construction, same BlackBerry features like Hub, keyboard, security, and message LED, great cameras front and back, but with access to tons of Android and Google apps. The price and free accessories available at BlackBerry and Crackberry make the DTEK60 a winner!

These are my thoughts!

TonyTheCanuck
    BTW.. DTEK60 has only two speakers. One at the top and one at the bottom but uses passthrough technology or something like that. Basically.. The sound booms from the front and back.
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    11-20-16 11:17 AM
    BTW.. DTEK60 has only two speakers. One at the top and one at the bottom but uses passthrough technology or something like that. Basically.. The sound booms from the front and back.
    OK, thanks for the info! There are two grills on the front and two on the back, so it looks like the DTEK60 has four speakers, but I think you are right about there being only two speakers since the BlackBerry soft shell case covers up the two grills at the back without loss of sound.
    11-20-16 12:15 PM
    I can't use a vkb to type,

Coming from the passport to the priv was nice,

Now when I try use a vkb on any device I feel weird,

I use my vkb yeah, but Im more happier punching against keys and I hate auto correct getting my words wrong.

Purely for this I pick the priv and performance wise if you going to complain about a couple seconds here and there I don't see it worth the upgrade,

Still think priv is brilliant. Not perfect though as I do have my issues.
    11-20-16 01:01 PM
    DTEK60 is very much like all other phones out there now. An average person is likely to perceive DTEK60 like any other Android phone. Priv on the other hand (in my opinion is also a great phone), but the general public might see a physical keyboard as a step backward.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-16 02:19 PM
    DTEK60 is very much like all other phones out there now. An average person is likely to perceive DTEK60 like any other Android phone. Priv on the other hand (in my opinion is also a great phone), but the general public might see a physical keyboard as a step backward.

Posted via CB10
    Well the DTEK60 has great cameras, BlackBerry features like the Hub, auto predict keyboard, and Dtek60 security, solid construction, BlackBerry LED, all at a reasonable price!
    11-20-16 04:52 PM
    I've been thinking about the DTEK60 as a replacement to my Priv. Here's my question. Does the DTEK60 heat up the way my PRIV does at times?

Posted via CB10
    Cool as a cucumber
    12-14-16 04:12 PM
    Dtek60 advantages over priv:
    - better battery
    - thinner
    - lighter
    - way faster. Super smooth. Amazing speed.
    - seems to have improved signal on both WiFi and cell
    - screen looks better

Disadvantages:
    - phone is way too slippery with the glass surface at the back. It slides and slips off any slanted surfaces and ledges. Even when I lay it on my thighs on jeans.
    - the edges are also very slippery making the grip less comfortable.
    - no optical stabilization of the camera. Many photos are good. But some photos came out with slight motion blur despite better quality and speed.
    I agree with most of what you say. However, I would also add:

1) The front facing DTEK60 21MP camera is superior due more pixels, wider shot, and more natural colours. The Priv 18MP is great and does have OIS, but colours are often over-saturated and the range is narrower. It's true that the first shot taken with the DTEK60 21MP camera can be blurred, but just steady the camera and the shots are great.

2). The DTEK60 8MP front facing selfie camera with flash is far superior to the Priv 2MP selfie camera.

3) a case will solve the slippery feel of the Dtek60.
    12-14-16 05:11 PM
    Excellent Review . Thank you . This motivates me to go for this amazing device . I have the Priv now almost one year old .
    Add to it
    No RGB LEd
    No Wireless Charging
    Blackberry Device Care not available for any Dtek products, i guess it's because they're not really Blackberries.
    12-15-16 01:57 AM
    I have hand on both devices and i was impressed much by Priv over DTEK60. I feel BlackBerry soul with Priv. With DTEK60 I feel nothing.

Posted by Passport Silver Editon
    buwee and tonythecanuck like this.
    12-24-16 05:31 AM
    I have hand on both devices and i was impressed much by Priv over DTEK60. I feel BlackBerry soul with Priv. With DTEK60 I feel nothing.

Posted by Passport Silver Editon
    I've had the Passport SE, the PRIV and the DTEK60. I know what you mean. BlackBerry-designed devices have a unique aura....
    Niwal Pro likes this.
    12-24-16 09:42 PM
    I've had the Passport SE, the PRIV and the DTEK60. I know what you mean. BlackBerry-designed devices have a unique aura....
    Well. So I will wait for Mecury because it owns physical keyboard.

Posted via The Beast Passport Red
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    12-25-16 05:47 AM
    I'm due to get the Detek60 tomorrow after I dropped my Priv and the phone company don't have any Priv's left so giving me this. Will the data just swap over like other Android devices ?
    01-25-17 08:43 AM
88 ... 234