Umm..not all Privs. I have not had heating issues. Only get warm when downloading. Day to day tasks are fine
    No heating issues with my Priv either.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    10-29-16 07:52 PM
    Dtek60 here looks slightly better.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    10-30-16 02:15 AM
    How does the Dtek60 camera do in low light images and video recording?
    10-30-16 02:38 AM
    The snapdragon 808 & 810 generation of processors were known to be toaster ovens and ruined the last generation of android phones. OEMs had to under clock those things just to keep the phone from melting. It is the Privs Achilles Heel.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You are correct! My Priv is extremely slow right now after several updates they they clocked it down considerably. My Priv would heat enough to fry an egg but was quick. Some apps don't work properly now. The camera on the Priv is very good. By the way a couple of co-workers use the Moto Pure with the same 808 chip and their phones fly without heat issue same ram as the Priv. I'm not buying that excuse they have tweaked the Priv down. Something else is to blame here. I will look into purchasing 60.
    10-30-16 06:20 AM
    You think the Mercury will be a mid-spec phone? I don't know. I hope it's a top tier device. With a smaller screen, the battery performance should be excellent and I can see BlackBerry releasing it with similar specs to the DTEK60. That way, you have two flagships - all touch and PKB.
    I suspect it will be mid-spec, yes, for the reason of greatly extending battery life.

There's no free lunch, and people don't want a phone that's as thick as a pack of cigarettes, which is the other way to get there (a huge battery), so de-clocking the CPU along with a large battery is the path you wind up taking. There's no reason to pay for a top-spec CPU if you're not going to use it, ergo, what's likely to show up is a mid-spec device with a large battery, resulting in 2+ day time-to-charge in "average" use.

There is, I suspect, a material market for that device -- those people who are very heavy email users but do zero (or nearly zero) "gaming" sort of things, and where a mid-spec CPU will prove no impediment to them at all. The trade-off works for that segment of the market.

But I like the snappy response, and I REALLY like the trade-offs the DTEK60 made, in that it's thin, it's well-built, it's FAST and yet it gets through a full day, including an evening out at the bars and such, without needing to be charged -- and if you DO run low you can top it back off in a few minutes in your car and get a 50% charge in about 15-20 minutes time.

I don't think you're going to get the same from Mercury as the requirements they're working to are almost-certainly not the same. Witness the slamming people gave BlackBerry for the down-spec selfie camera, which was forced ​by the slider form-factor.
    10-30-16 09:04 AM
    As far as i can tell the DTEK has better color reproduction but the Priv is brighter in low light.
    It seems that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would be better, but I guess not.

It's sad; sounds like the DTEK60 is an epic fail... I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer younger consumers. Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry. Very sad.
    10-30-16 09:07 AM
    Agreed. I do get the "Getting hot" notification from time to time but it never slows me down
    10-30-16 09:27 AM
    You are correct! My Priv is extremely slow right now after several updates they they clocked it down considerably. My Priv would heat enough to fry an egg but was quick. Some apps don't work properly now. The camera on the Priv is very good. By the way a couple of co-workers use the Moto Pure with the same 808 chip and their phones fly without heat issue same ram as the Priv. I'm not buying that excuse they have tweaked the Priv down. Something else is to blame here. I will look into purchasing 60.
    You might want to get your unit looked it because that's not a common experience. There are at least 12 Privs in my office and none have reported slow downs since the update.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    10-30-16 09:29 AM
    It seems that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would be better, but I guess not.

It's sad; sounds like the DTEK60 is an epic fail... I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer younger consumers. Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry. Very sad.
    What an epic proportion load of bullocks. Heads out here take life to seriously over a d8mn phone. Epic fail??? Smh. Do you even know what the word epic means fam? Like EPMD says.. You gots to chill.
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-30-16 09:42 AM
    Good comparison images. Thanks. I would like to see some more if you have the time, including outdoor images.
    10-30-16 10:25 AM
    The dx0mark score is out for the DTEK60 camera. Same score as Priv and iPhone 6s.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-...s-nice-camera!
    Last edited by conite; 10-30-16 at 11:05 AM.
    10-30-16 10:47 AM
    What an epic proportion load of bullocks. Heads out here take life to seriously over a d8mn phone. Epic fail??? Smh. Do you even know what the word epic means fam? Like EPMD says.. You gots to chill.
    I am likely BlackBerry's biggest Canadian Fan. I have had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv. I have posted many reviews about all these devices on-line, and have always said all of these devices are excellent for many reasons. I have always been a loyal fan.

If BlackBerry has now lost a consumer like me over the cameras on the DTEK60, it's likely they are losing many others as well.
    10-30-16 10:54 AM
    Link doesn't work.
    Try it again.
    10-30-16 11:09 AM

Um.. As someone who owns both, this is completely and absolutely false. In someways it is better than the Priv camera, it seems to do a better job at accurate colour reproduction without over saturating. And the 8mp is MILES better than the 2mp on the Priv. No contest.
    10-30-16 11:17 AM
    Link doesn't work.
    Yes it does
    10-30-16 11:18 AM
    The dx0mark score is out for the DTEK60 camera. Same score as Priv and iPhone 6s.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-...s-nice-camera!
    Anyone who thinks this camera is worse than the passports is absolutely delusional.
    10-30-16 11:23 AM

Priv (4.3mb)

Dtek60 (6.1mb)
    00stryder and mithrazor like this.
    10-30-16 11:27 AM
    Again the DTEK comes out with a more natural looking picture, the leaves are not as red as the Priv camera would have you believe.
    10-30-16 11:28 AM
    Saturation on the Priv has always been dialed up a bit too high.... that's pretty easy to correct after the fact, but it is there as a baseline.
    10-30-16 11:29 AM

DTEK50 1.3mb

DTEK60 6.2mb

Priv 4.3mb

all taken from the exact same position
    10-30-16 11:38 AM
    Um.. As someone who owns both, this is completely and absolutely false. In someways it is better than the Priv camera, it seems to do a better job at accurate colour reproduction without over saturating. And the 8mp is MILES better than the 2mp on the Priv. No contest.
    I really, really hope you are right.

Right now I am depressed and crying 😢.
    10-30-16 12:08 PM
    I really, really hope you are right.

Right now I am depressed and crying 😢.
    Ummm...
    10-30-16 12:18 PM
    http://i.imgur.com/H4iNrMG.jpg
    DTEK50 1.3mb
    http://i.imgur.com/zHQpoqn.jpg
    DTEK60 6.2mb
    http://i.imgur.com/HJSxFxq.jpg
    Priv 4.3mb

all taken from the exact same position
    Thanks very much for the comparison!
    Few users have posted such a good comparison!
    10-30-16 12:24 PM
    Ummm...
    Just leave it alone...
    10-30-16 12:24 PM
    Oh wow. I need to go play with a Priv first. See how it feels in hand. My question is how easy will it be to get replacement parts for the Priv now that BlackBerry is out of hardware?
    10-30-16 12:34 PM
88 1234