I am very curious to know why BlackBerry opted to use TCL as the hardware manufacturer. I bought the Dtek60 because I imagined the hardware will be of good quality due to BlackBerry past devices. However, in hand I don't get the premium feeling as what other buyers commented. I thought it wouldn't matter as long as i have bb android software. But unfortunately it wasn't the case for me.

So i really want to know if i am missing something. I want to know the product i bought from bb is worth it. Why would bb lower their reputation by using lower cost material for their hardware?

For now i feel i could have bought a better hardware and install all bb software from playstore.
    12-16-16 10:06 PM
    You're getting what you pay for!
    12-16-16 10:13 PM
    Well, 'hardware feel' is entirely subjective anyway. Just because you feel that way about it doesn't mean others do, just like every other device out there. Curious, though, which hardware would you have bought in the same price range but would have been better for you?
    12-16-16 10:14 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Hmm in that price range I think huawei p9 or moto z would come close? But I know that i may not have security updates regularly if i have bought those devices. For me dtek60 feels more like AU$500-600 device. But I paid AU$740 including shipping.

I know this hardware feeling is individual. Probably someone can shed some light that the device is of premium quality as advertised.

I have patience to wait few more months to see how mercury fares.

Hoping no hate replies! Just friendly discussion
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    12-16-16 10:36 PM
    For now, BlackBerry Android needs a price point that makes sense. You might prefer PRIV; can't speak for the DTEK60 because I've never actually seen one in person, but the PRIV most definitely has a far more premium look and feel to a DTEK50.
    12-16-16 11:29 PM
    TO me, the famous premium feel is over hype as 95 % cover their phone with an ugly case.

That being said , we want a solid device and to me , DTEK60 is solid and has nice build quality.

But DTEK60 as well as all glass or metal body phones on the market is slippery. Cant understand why grippy back like Z30, PRIV , DTEK50, LG g4 are not the standard.

What is not premium on your DTEK60
    12-16-16 11:38 PM
    I am very curious to know why BlackBerry opted to use TCL as the hardware manufacturer. I bought the Dtek60 because I imagined the hardware will be of good quality due to BlackBerry past devices. However, in hand I don't get the premium feeling as what other buyers commented. I thought it wouldn't matter as long as i have bb android software. But unfortunately it wasn't the case for me.

So i really want to know if i am missing something. I want to know the product i bought from bb is worth it. Why would bb lower their reputation by using lower cost material for their hardware?

For now i feel i could have bought a better hardware and install all bb software from playstore.
    It's by far the most premium feeling blackberry device to date. The priv was squeaky. The passport and classic were definitely well built but this thing is a solid piece of hardware
    12-17-16 12:44 AM
    It's by far the most premium feeling blackberry device to date. The priv was squeaky. The passport and classic were definitely well built but this thing is a solid piece of hardware
    You must be new to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    heepman and ominaxe like this.
    12-17-16 01:56 AM
    In a sense the dek60 build is up to pare with most high end phones. Glass body with a metal/steel frame is what companies like samsung etc having been doing lately.
    Jlmsd likes this.
    12-17-16 02:00 AM
    I like the build quality a lot. Solid.

The only potential negative is the glass back, but I run with a case on my phones anyway. If you don't then it's the same issue as the iPhone4 had -- very nice, beautiful, solid in-hand and classy -- but if you drop it, well, it's glass.

All things in life are trade-offs. One thing you GET with the glass back is very good RF, since glass is (pretty much) transparent to RF energy. That is not to be discarded lightly; it is difficult to design an efficient antenna when you have a bunch of metal in the immediate vicinity as the metal tends to de-tune the antenna due to capacitance and it gets even worse when you have to account for the user's hands being on said metal (which changes the capacitance by a lot!)
    12-17-16 07:11 AM
    Versus the Priv I prefer the DTEK60 build quality. Less moving pieces is less opportunity for squeaks, rattles and screen clicking (remember all of that from last year... haha)

Versus other, non-slider BlackBerry hardware I will say it is lighter and thinner, which may add to a less premium perception for some of us ... but with no user removable parts these days, smaller and lighter are just the way things are.
    YeemanBB likes this.
    12-17-16 10:00 AM
    I intend to agree that the DTEK60 is one of the best BlackBerry in terms of overall build quality. Definitely the best all touch BlackBerry to date.
    It simply outperforms the previous all touch flagship, the Z30 in almost all hw and - but this is also subjective - aesthetic aspects.
    12-17-16 10:10 AM
    Take Classic in one hand and then take D60 in other. Big difference if you ask me. Classic is so wonderfully balanced and weight is just perfect.
    buwee likes this.
    12-17-16 07:01 PM
    i can see why TCL want to select BB as partner - using the brand name to get into high end market in US. As for why BB select TCL, passibly for utilize the components sharing utilization. As for the handset design, look like TCL is dominent for both dtek 50 and 60, judge on the form and fit (including swappable casing, camera location, etc.), possibly, utilize the injection mold tooling and PCB layout. In addition, the glass back is un-like BB design (lesson learned in iphone 4 days - just look at the 9860, it was learned on those days and none of the BB was glass backing... sad the lesson was not transfered to TCL that carried BB name... or TCL does not think BB has any contribution on the hardware except the spec wish list - don't know the inside story. what ever it is, the dtek look like a BB's foster children). It look like marriage of convenance. TCL didn't really go get the DNA of BB except the software. hopefully, mercury would be better (in house design? not just design per "spec" list).
    12-17-16 08:53 PM
    Take Classic in one hand and then take D60 in other. Big difference if you ask me. Classic is so wonderfully balanced and weight is just perfect.
    My classic wasn't that well built. My dtek50 is definitely better. I sent my classic back 3 times. For light leakage on the sides of the screen the first time. First replacement i got back had a white spot on the screen that wouldn't go away, third one was good enough. They all had crooked sim card trays, battery drain issues and would pocket dial all the time, etc. I wanted to like it but it was terrible. My z10 was replaced 2 times and my z30 replaced once. BlackBerry quality..
    12-17-16 11:42 PM
    You must be new to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Lol no, actually. I've owned pretty much every blackberry device. If you don't think the DTEK60 is well built you're not in the right state of mind!
    LoveMyLBZ and mike kootnikoff like this.
    12-18-16 01:05 AM
    Lol no, actually. I've owned pretty much every blackberry device. If you don't think the DTEK60 is well built you're not in the right state of mind!
    I don't know if the DTEK60 is well built or not since I haven't touched one, but from the looks and user reviews, I think it's just OK or fine, but to claim it's the best built phone "by" BlackBerry, then you must be pretty ignorant about the actual phones made "actually" by BlackBerry, which are having the best built quality than any other phones.
    And I doubt that you have owned pretty much every BlackBerry devices.
    Ever heard about curve 8520, bold 9000, 9900, 9780, Z30, Q10, Passport? Comparing DTEK60 with any of the above is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-16 02:57 PM
    The last piece of solid BlackBerry kit I had was the bold 9000. I tried both versions of the storm and they were complete and utter garbage.
    Every other BlackBerry I have since has had some form of minor defect or poor quality construction.
    Had to get 3 privs before I got one without the clicking screen. Then it finally stopped charging.
    Had a great initial z30 which died a death from water and then I went through about 4 in quick succession with issues like volume keys not working, not charging etc.

The z10 was okay, but the crap initial software basically killed BB10, it took about a year before that was working properly.

So I like how a BlackBerry android phone not manufactured by BlackBerry is likely to be higher quality and put together with less defects.

What BlackBerry is doing well is their minimal interference in the Android OS . Samsung and Sony I find annoying to use with the OS overlays.

I really did like BlackBerry and I only stayed with them as I hated IPhone and didn't like the way Android worked back then.

So yes having had the dtek60 now for a few weeks I can say that I think it is the best BlackBerry I have had to date and has a extremely premium quality feel.
    I even recently bought the DTEK50 for my mum and that is a pretty decent phone as well.
    Last edited by Slamdunc1; 12-19-16 at 12:02 AM.
    mike kootnikoff and nova_8 like this.
    12-18-16 06:22 PM
    I don't know if the DTEK60 is well built or not since I haven't touched one, but from the looks and user reviews, I think it's just OK or fine, but to claim it's the best built phone "by" BlackBerry, then you must be pretty ignorant about the actual phones made "actually" by BlackBerry, which are having the best built quality than any other phones.
    And I doubt that you have owned pretty much every BlackBerry devices.
    Ever heard about curve 8520, bold 9000, 9900, 9780, Z30, Q10, Passport? Comparing DTEK60 with any of the above is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    So the deciding factor is that BlackBerry designed those phones above and outsourced them to Wistron/Jabil Circuit/Celestica/Foxconn/whoever, while TCL did the hardware design and manufacturing for the DTEK50/60.
    My DTEK60 doesn't seem to have the clicking of my old Priv, or the light bleed from the keys and uneven brightness on the screen of my old Passport, so to me it is the best built one of the ones I had.
    mike kootnikoff and nova_8 like this.
    12-18-16 07:00 PM
    So the deciding factor is that BlackBerry designed those phones above and outsourced them to Wistron/Jabil Circuit/Celestica/Foxconn/whoever, while TCL did the hardware design and manufacturing for the DTEK50/60.
    My DTEK60 doesn't seem to have the clicking of my old Priv, or the light bleed from the keys and uneven brightness on the screen of my old Passport, so to me it is the best built one of the ones I had.
    Dont forgot screen lifting issue
    12-18-16 08:20 PM
    I didn't personally experience it, but that too. The same goes for double type (I have a Q10 where half the keyboard is touch and the other half requires keypresses).
    12-18-16 09:19 PM
    The toolbelts on the Classic also used to lift or creak, and the keys were also flimsy in some units.

What else, the sim trays on some units wouldn't sit flush against the phone after you took them out the first time loll

The Priv though by far - their worse built phone.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    12-19-16 09:29 AM
    The toolbelts on the Classic also used to lift or creak, and the keys were also flimsy in some units.

What else, the sim trays on some units wouldn't sit flush against the phone after you took them out the first time loll

The Priv though by far - their worse built phone.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    Ah yes I remember that
    12-19-16 09:30 AM
    I replaced my playbook 3 times before i finally got a perfect screen. Q10 changed twice because of double type. Compared to that, DTek is yes better... my first impression was not pleasing but now it's one of the best android I've used.. i think the software makes the user experience much better..
    12-19-16 10:57 AM
    DTEK60 feels great in hand. Very premium. My only concern is with the actual quality of the components. 1 month in and my digitizer went screwy.
    12-21-16 02:21 PM
55 123