Yes
    12-07-17 01:18 PM
    I've replaced my battery and my problems are solved. My Dtek60 is back to normal with a battery I purchased from China. Some pictures of the offending (original) battery, front and back. I wasn't keen on wiping my phone and sending it back to..whoever I was supposed to send it to.

Back cover came off pretty easy. Check online for video instructions. Very simply, heat the back cover with a hair dryer, plastic prying tool all around and pull it apart. Unplug battery connector. Pry off battery (some mild adhesive holds it). Prying tool and a bunch of jewelers screwdrivers came with the battery.

DTEK60 shut down on 15%-img_20171219_0758393.jpg
    DTEK60 shut down on 15%-img_20171219_0758500.jpg

I'm smiling again!
    12-19-17 08:09 AM
    I've replaced my battery and my problems are solved. My Dtek60 is back to normal with a battery I purchased from China. Some pictures of the offending (original) battery, front and back. I wasn't keen on wiping my phone and sending it back to..whoever I was supposed to send it to.

Back cover came off pretty easy. Check online for video instructions. Very simply, heat the back cover with a hair dryer, plastic prying tool all around and pull it apart. Unplug battery connector. Pry off battery (some mild adhesive holds it). Prying tool and a bunch of jewelers screwdrivers came with the battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171219_0758393.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	432469

Name:	IMG_20171219_0758500.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	432468

I'm smiling again!
    Glad it worked! I sent my Dtek60 to the Alcatel "Repair Centre" (SBE Canada) TWICE and they did nothing.

Question: How did you glue the back onto the phone again? What adhesive did you use?
    12-19-17 10:49 AM

Name:	IMG_20171219_0758393.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	432469

Name:	IMG_20171219_0758500.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	432468

I'm smiling again!
    How did you glue the back on again?
    12-19-17 11:01 AM
    I re-used the same glue by re heating it. Worked just fine.

I was about to dump the phone and get something else while I was waiting for the battery. the battery came in I figured I'd give it a try thankfully it worked. nothing like your phone turning off at 78% I was going crazy
    12-19-17 11:31 AM
    I re-used the same glue by re heating it. Worked just fine.

I was about to dump the phone and get something else while I was waiting for the battery. the battery came in I figured I'd give it a try thankfully it worked. nothing like your phone turning off at 78% I was going crazy
    Hey thanks very much! Glad it worked for you! My battery failed after ten months of use.

I tried sending my Dtek60 in to the Canadian Alcatel Repair Centre (SBE Canada) TWICE and they claim they did a "Software upgrade" each time, which was a LIE since the Android version remained 6.0.1. They didn't even bother to load the latest monthly patch.

The Better Business Bureau has given them an "F" for Fail since they do nothing to honour warranties.

I may try what you did!
    12-19-17 01:09 PM
    Very fixable if you're careful and moderately handy; the battery is $30 or so, which is not bad. BlackBerry Mobile fixed mine for me under warranty, so it has a new battery in it, but if they had refused I would have fixed it myself.

Then again I've replaced a fairly large number of volume and power switches on Samsung devices over the years for people (which is a heck of a lot more delicate work than this is since it involves unsoldering with a hot air rework station); they're the cheapest part of the phones and break a LOT on those devices. If out of warranty you be flat-out screwed when it happens too if you can't successfully replace it. You also get to remove the board so you can clamp it and work on it; don't even think about using a hot-air station on it while it's in the rest of the case!

Interestingly enough for all the garfing people have posted here about hardware quality I don't recall anyone complaining about volume and power button failures on the Priv or DTEKs...
    Last edited by tickerguy; 12-19-17 at 04:35 PM.
    12-19-17 01:56 PM
    Hey thanks very much! Glad it worked for you! My battery failed after ten months of use.

I tried sending my Dtek60 in to the Canadian Alcatel Repair Centre (SBE Canada) TWICE and they claim they did a "Software upgrade" each time, which was a LIE since the Android version remained 6.0.1. They didn't even bother to load the latest monthly patch.

The Better Business Bureau has given them an "F" for Fail since they do nothing to honour warranties.

I may try what you did!
    Definitely try it, it works. Your DTEK60 will be back to its old self.
    12-20-17 09:32 AM
    If anybody needs purchase information, here is the battery I got via Amazon. Delivery time was half of what they quoted for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Came...UvbUpU13097881
    12-20-17 10:36 AM
    If anybody needs purchase information, here is the battery I got via Amazon. Delivery time was half of what they quoted for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Came...UvbUpU13098787
    Unfortunately, this item does not ship to Canada. I'm out of luck again.

Off to court now to sue BlackBerry Mobile and Alcatel.
    12-21-17 11:42 AM
    Well, you could have instead what Apple has now been caught doing -- and was basically forced to admit it.

They detected the failing battery and throttled the CPU. The result was that your phone got dog-slow, but it kept working... sort of. At least it didn't shut down when it said it had 40% power remaining. It instead ran with the CPU at roughly 40% of its usual clock rate! Oh, and no warning to the user that the battery was compromised either.

That's clever; if the unit is in-warranty when it starts, well, it keeps Apple from having to eat in-warranty battery changes. If it happens OUT of warranty as it progresses and becomes more common it will likely lead you to think your "older" device can't handle the load of "current" apps and operating system, so you buy a new one -- instead of paying to have the battery changed.

Don't be so sure the grass is all so green over in other yards...
    bigjman likes this.
    12-21-17 05:21 PM
    Well, you could have instead what Apple has now been caught doing -- and was basically forced to admit it.

They detected the failing battery and throttled the CPU. The result was that your phone got dog-slow, but it kept working... sort of. At least it didn't shut down when it said it had 40% power remaining. It instead ran with the CPU at roughly 40% of its usual clock rate! Oh, and no warning to the user that the battery was compromised either.

That's clever; if the unit is in-warranty when it starts, well, it keeps Apple from having to eat in-warranty battery changes. If it happens OUT of warranty as it progresses and becomes more common it will likely lead you to think your "older" device can't handle the load of "current" apps and operating system, so you buy a new one -- instead of paying to have the battery changed.

Don't be so sure the grass is all so green over in other yards...
    My battery was a complete failure. I've had it shut down as high as 78% charge, claiming it was 0% and shutting down. Apps like Golf Clash, PvZ, Facebook and the camera app had the same effect when opened. I felt like an iPhone owner, plugging into every charge point I could to keep the phone from shutting off.

I'm a few days in with the new battery and I'm still very happy. Very pleased with the outcome.
    12-22-17 01:41 PM
    my phone has just started shutting down with 16% of battery left, so I have just ordered a new battery and a replacement rear cover as well (cracked the rear glass in the first week of having it). both cost about $35Au each with free postage.
    01-06-18 07:50 PM
    I sent mine back to BlackBerry after going around and around with them for a month. Got it back in a week and it seems fine, but I bought another phone in the meantime and probably won't ever need the dtek60.
    01-06-18 08:45 PM
    Again, charge it fully while it is turned off. That should reset the calibration. It drifts over time and the percentage remaining is an estimate; at the low-voltage cut-off the phone will shut down.
    Thanks for that, would give it a try
    01-08-18 12:15 AM
    Yeah, if that doesn't help then the next thing to do is change the battery -- if out of warranty then buy one and either install it yourself or find a third-party repair location (there are a bunch) and ask them to do it. It's not a terribly difficult thing to do.
    01-08-18 06:24 AM
    Best Of Luck on the second time around, Black Berry should step up and do a recall on these defective Batteries. I've decided not to bother sending mine back for the second Battery repair.. $750 for a device and the repair Centre has had my phone twice for a grand total of 8 weeks! I've always been a Black Berry Loyalist but no more.. Now that BB has allowed me to learn Android Software im pursuing another Brand Android device. and in all honesty.. I'm Canadian.. I stuck with BB mostly because its a Canadian Company.. no More! Hardware is of poor Quality and the customer Service is Horrific. my Buddy preaches "Oneplus" products.. I'm leaning towards the New OnePlus 5T available on the Canadian Website Nov 24
    I sent my DTEK60 in TWICE to SBE Canada, the authorized Alcatel Repair Centre. After ten months, my phone would shut down in two to three hours of a full charge, and shut down at 30% charge.

The first time, under warranty, SBE Canada had my phone for three weeks and claimed to have done a software upgrade, which is a lie since the Android version remained 6.0.1. Once I got it back, I had to do the monthly security patch update myself. The phone shut down within two hours on a full charge

The second time, they had my phone four weeks. Again they claimed to had done a software upgrade, which again was a lie since the Android version remained 6.0.1. I had to again do the monthly security patch update myself. They also claimed they put in a new battery, which is hard to believe since the phone now shuts down within an hour of a full charge.

I am now pursuing legal action.
    01-09-18 06:19 AM
67 123