Apple updates iOS in timely matter, averaging every two months. But with new hw and os it does need work. I give them six months, mid cycle, to work out links and time to improve the system, camera etc.

6S Plus was too tall and heavy for me. If cost is not an issue, and don't begrudge iOS, would be my 1st choice too.

I hope the 60 proves to be sweet spot. Hope 7.1 gets here before too long, like before March rolls around.

Apple now offering unlocked carrier free makes it an option, refuse to be tried to a carrier or contracts.
    10-29-16 05:31 PM
    Other than price, I don't see how this phone can be described as "better" than an iPhone or Pixel XL (I know that most on this thread haven't said that but there are a few "die-hards" on this forum who seem to believe this is the best phone ever)? Don't get me wrong, I want one, but that's because I don't want to spend �820 on a Pixel XL for my Android phone. The DTEK60 is about 60% of the price of the Pixel XL here in the UK thanks to Brexit-idiots.

Don't underestimate the software updates Google provide. Not only is Android N far nicer than 6, you get the security updates, Google Assistant etc. Bigger better, better doze, better camera (don't care how good the 60 is in good light - they all are - try it in low light and see if Google can write a better HDR alogirithm than TCL/BB... I suspect they can!) etc.

And don't bother to compare any Android phone to Apple iPhone. Totally different. People who want a iPhone buy a iPhone and not a BB phone, not a Google phone and not even a Samsung phone.
    10-30-16 12:57 AM
    I have the dtek60 for three days. Build quality alone is nothing compared to iPhone. I haven't seen the pixel but while I think this phone is good, it is no flagship by my standard. For me, this phone is a perfect fleet phone, but not a flagship.
    10-30-16 01:19 AM
    I quite agree. On this I will be interested to see how much different Googles android evolves from "stock".
    10-30-16 08:08 AM
    https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231593[/url]
    Great review, thanks.
    Just wondering, did you do a review for the Dtek50 also?
    10-30-16 08:51 AM
    If you want the fastest and most reliable phone, get the iphone. Fastest processor, fastest memory and OS optimization.

Get the Pixel if you really want stock Android and faster updates, otherwise get an S7 that's superior in almost every way

Get the Dtek60 if you want security, and a better "Bang for the Buck"

To me the best choice is to have a deal on a 7 month old Galaxy S7, I'm sure you can get those at a good price, and if your country has the Exynos Processor S7, then you have the most powerfull Android in the market with top camera, and fast memory too.
    There are videos of people complain of lag on these galaxy phones after a few months though....

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    10-30-16 08:53 AM
    Other than price, I don't see how this phone can be described as "better" than an iPhone or Pixel XL (I know that most on this thread haven't said that but there are a few "die-hards" on this forum who seem to believe this is the best phone ever)? Don't get me wrong, I want one, but that's because I don't want to spend �820 on a Pixel XL for my Android phone. The DTEK60 is about 60% of the price of the Pixel XL here in the UK thanks to Brexit-idiots.

Don't underestimate the software updates Google provide. Not only is Android N far nicer than 6, you get the security updates, Google Assistant etc. Bigger better, better doze, better camera (don't care how good the 60 is in good light - they all are - try it in low light and see if Google can write a better HDR alogirithm than TCL/BB... I suspect they can!) etc.

And don't bother to compare any Android phone to Apple iPhone. Totally different. People who want a iPhone buy a iPhone and not a BB phone, not a Google phone and not even a Samsung phone.
    Excuse me loll

There are countless times where apple releases an update that messed up your phone and people waiting for fixes.

Their cameras aren't always the best, they're good, but there are Android phones that consistently take that spot, usually Samsung.

Their os overall, is way too locked down and makes file transfers and sharing way too cumbersome.

10-30-16 08:57 AM
    There are videos of people complain of lag on these galaxy phones after a few months though....

Don't know if it is to the same extent as galaxys, but all Android phones lag after a few months of use... if you try hard you can make them lag out of the box. All androids lag
    10-30-16 11:13 AM
    Great review, thanks.
    Just wondering, did you do a review for the Dtek50 also?
    No, BlackBerry does not comp me phones (or send them to me for review) so I only review what I buy with my own money, although of course I can send anything I get from ShopBlackberry back if I think it stinks.

That also means there's no implicit coercion either (e.g. "you won't get the next one!")

I didn't find the DTEK50 compelling for any of my typical use cases when it was released so I didn't buy one. The Priv, on the other hand, I did review when I got it on release day; that review has expired but is in the archives (some articles are permitted lookback irrespective of time, but most expire after 30 days.)

That review was a "quick look"; I'll do a much more in-depth one after somewhere between a couple of weeks and a month, but thus far I've yet to find anything I don't like about it.
    10-30-16 11:15 AM
    There you go again ...saying DTEK60 is a poor cousin.

DTEK60 is equal in specs to S7, Pixel XL and iPhone 7 plus. For a lot less money!
    It's beyond value for your money. It's just being smart.
    DTEK60 is stock Android with BlackBerry Productivity Suite and best VKB and monthly security updates. It's also thinner than all those phones.
    Only thing missing is water resistance. Only other advantage I give Apple is customer care but we could argue that based on complaints of iPhone 6 and 6s.
    S7 and Pixel has a great camera but DTEK60 has not been long enough to compare yet.
    I just said that the Dtek migh be the best deal. what do you want me to say? that is superior to an S7 or iphone when it's not? Dtek is more of a value proposition, and a very good one.

Specs might be "the same" on the S7 vs Dtek, but performance might not. S7 has the best camera in the business, and if you can get the S7 with an Exynos, you have also a more powerfull processor than the SD820, that overheats less and is more energy efficient.
    If you get the S7 Edge, you also get a 3600mah battery instead of 3000mah of the Dtek, not to mention the option of 64gb of internal storage in the S7... so maybe the specs aren't the same either.
    It's not in the specs but Samsung makes the best screens on the market too, wich is nice.
    And I'm pretty sure you can get the S7 (non-edge) under 500$

All those Blackberry apps you can have in any Android phone, so that's worth nil...
    10-30-16 11:20 AM
    And I'm pretty sure you can get the S7 (non-edge) under 500$

Not with a US warranty. Not even close in fact. Best price on a factory unlocked US version with a US Warranty I've found for the S7 (non-edge), 32gb, from a legitimate source (e.g. not stolen, an eBay special which might be stolen, etc) is $599 -- that's $100 more. It gets even more ridiculous for the EDGE version (another $70 or so being the cheapest I've been able to locate, again, with US warranty.)

As for the Exynos processor yes, that's nice. But..... the trade-off may be band coverage, which is one you can't make in the United States unless you *know* it won't hurt you. Most of the time it *will* hurt you, frequently critically, and if you're in the US then buying the Exynos version means *NO* warranty *at all*, so if it turns into a brick you're out 100% of your money instantly.

10-30-16 11:23 AM
    Excuse me loll

There are countless times where apple releases an update that messed up your phone and people waiting for fixes.

Their cameras aren't always the best, they're good, but there are Android phones that consistently take that spot, usually Samsung.

Their os overall, is way too locked down and makes file transfers and sharing way too cumbersome.

When you say "countless times" you mean "once"? despite that, if I was you, I wouldn't argue that Apple has somehow "inferior" update system than Android. Apple has a much more slick way of updating their OS than Google has, BY FAR. iOS updates tend to be bugfree, arrive on time for everybody, old and new phones, regardless of the carrier.

It's almost embarassing that more than 60% of Android phones are still on 5.0 or older when 7.1 was already relsead. 27% still is on Android 4!
    Attachment 410950

"Way too locked down" is relative and not always inferior. Android is locking down their with each update.
    10-30-16 11:30 AM
    The Apple .vs. Android difference in this regard is largely due to Apple's original "exclusive" deal with AT&T, in which they negotiated as a part of that deal the right to distribute updates on their own without the carrier's interference.

This then allowed them to force that same model on all the other carriers, since the price of a carrier saying "no" was "no iPhone for you!"

Android, by its nature, could have never had this happen because it wasn't manufacturer-exclusive and manufacturers put their own crap on top of it themselves in many cases (e.g. Touchwiz, HTC Sense, etc.) The result of this was that the carriers managed to maintain the ability to force all firmware updates to go through them for any device they sold, and since a firmware update cycle is a cost with no financial reward the carriers had no reason to ever put any sort of effort into it -- in fact, they have every reason not so since they can try to lever that into forcing you to buy a new device (that they make another margin on.)

This, above all else, is why you either want a factory unlocked device with no such interference or you want one with an unlocked bootloader The problem with the latter approach is that safely using an unlocked bootloader and putting your own firmware on the device without exposing yourself to trojan horses and similar that can steal your data requires a level of technical competence that 95+% of the user population does not have. While people like myself are quite capable of doing so safely the vast majority of the population is not. Witness all the folks who get "cryptolockered" on their Windows machines.....
    10-30-16 11:49 AM
    The 7 plus and PIxel xl are approx 150$ pricier but the specs and camera are better than the dtek60, you know what they say, you get what you pay for.
    11-25-16 02:20 AM
    When you say "countless times" you mean "once"? despite that, if I was you, I wouldn't argue that Apple has somehow "inferior" update system than Android. Apple has a much more slick way of updating their OS than Google has, BY FAR. iOS updates tend to be bugfree, arrive on time for everybody, old and new phones, regardless of the carrier.

It's almost embarassing that more than 60% of Android phones are still on 5.0 or older when 7.1 was already relsead. 27% still is on Android 4!
    Attachment 410950

"Way too locked down" is relative and not always inferior. Android is locking down their with each update.
    I agree with Joao, Android's update schedule is far more inferior than that of iOS, and being a user of both iOS and android, I can easily say iOS is much much more bug free than Android, the only error that happened with iOS was with 10 and Apple were quick to launch a patch. And just If you don't know, The iPhone 7 Plus currently has the best smartphone camera that can be offered.
    11-25-16 02:28 AM
    I'll submit my 2-cents. I have a iphone 6s, Moto X Pure Edition, and a DTEK60.
    I was getting bored with my iphone and got the pure edition. Then got bored with the pure edition and got the pixel, then the DTEK60.
    Not being a power user, I like the DTEK60 swipes and shortcuts. I love the hub and keyboard. Its not the same as swiftkey. I don't like that it doesnt wake up when I lift it and I like the way pureedition google now works.
    All in all if you want android than the DTEK is the whole package. I do have to say I like what apple did with IOS 10.
    12-02-16 10:47 AM
    After playing with a Pixel and a iPhone 7plus today. I honestly think DTEK60 is superior then you add in cost difference and there is no comparison. My opinion...

I know the guys at Rogers sure loved the DTEK60 when I showed them today.
    It's a shame no one is carrying it. Without carrier support, this device is bound to be another failure. There has been 0 marketing for this device, I would say a large majority of consumers have no idea it exists.
    12-02-16 12:50 PM
    Android phone is android phone. I dont think that alcatel is better than iphone or samsung.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 02:12 PM
43 12