To those who received their DTEK60, what are your thoughts on:

- General build of the phone
    - Battery life so far
    - Camera (front/back)
    - Pros of device (Hardware/Software)
    - Cons of device (Hardware/Software)
    - and the important point: What do you miss from BB10?

This will really encourage those of us who are contemplating a DTEK60.
    11-03-16 03:37 PM
    Got mine yesterday evening so today was my first full day with it. Coming from a Priv, but have used a Note 4, Passport, Q10, and Lumia 928 (plus OG Blackberries before those).

Build quality: great. Much better than my Priv and on par with my Note, Passport and Lumia 928 (all had great build quality IMO). I had a creaky keyboard on the Priv and it seemed to always run hot.

Battery: seems much better than my Priv but time will tell. Charges much faster than my Priv with no wonky charger issues (my Priv seemed to have problems with non-BB chargers).

Camera: back about the same as Priv, front much better. Back not as good as my Note 4 and Lumia, but much better than my older BlackBerry phones.

Pros: vkb, fingerprint scanner, snappy performance, really like Blackberry's take on Android and the PIM services (calendar, contacts, Hub, etc), USB-C, and good value for the money.

Cons: lack of accessories (cases) although the one that came with the phone is OK. I'd like to have something like a Trident Aegis or Otterbox Commuter. I see Incipio is making a case for this phone. May try that out.

Miss from BB10: nothing.

To those who received their DTEK60, what are your thoughts on:

- General build of the phone
    - Battery life so far
    - Camera (front/back)
    - Pros of device (Hardware/Software)
    - Cons of device (Hardware/Software)
    - and the important point: What do you miss from BB10?

This will really encourage those of us who are contemplating a DTEK60.
    00stryder and tonythecanuck like this.
    11-03-16 06:42 PM
    I'd like to have something like a Trident Aegis or Otterbox Commuter. I see Incipio is making a case for this phone. May try that out.
    Just thought I would mention Incipio lists the Dual pro case as coming soon, but it looks identical to the Alcatel version.
    11-03-16 06:54 PM
    Got mine yesterday evening so today was my first full day with it. Coming from a Priv, but have used a Note 4, Passport, Q10, and Lumia 928 (plus OG Blackberries before those).

Build quality: great. Much better than my Priv and on par with my Note, Passport and Lumia 928 (all had great build quality IMO). I had a creaky keyboard on the Priv and it seemed to always run hot.

Battery: seems much better than my Priv but time will tell. Charges much faster than my Priv with no wonky charger issues (my Priv seemed to have problems with non-BB chargers).

Camera: back about the same as Priv, front much better. Back not as good as my Note 4 and Lumia, but much better than my older BlackBerry phones.

Pros: vkb, fingerprint scanner, snappy performance, really like Blackberry's take on Android and the PIM services (calendar, contacts, Hub, etc), USB-C, and good value for the money.

Cons: lack of accessories (cases) although the one that came with the phone is OK. I'd like to have something like a Trident Aegis or Otterbox Commuter. I see Incipio is making a case for this phone. May try that out.

Thanks very much for the comments! I am coming from the Priv too, so your comments are useful!!
    11-03-16 07:20 PM
    -Fit and finish seems that of a flagship

-Battery life :thumbs up:

-Camera, will know when I need it. Just seen an update come out for it too.

-Pros, hardware, battery life, screen, haptic feedback. Pros software, Dtek and BlackBerry everything, efficient.

-Cons, hardware, the sim/sd tray combined going in the way it looks; jamming a sim card sideways passing through a SD card slot. No problems just concerning maybe in the long run lol. Cons, software, simply that it's not anything to do with QNX and instead aligned with Google but my thoughts may change on that.

-Miss from BB10, swipes as prominent navigation and built in apps
    11-03-16 07:25 PM
    Didn't even like my DTEK50 that much. But still rushed to return within the window and order a DTEK60. Should be here tomorrow. Really struggling with Android. Am actually thinking that finger print scanner may change my mind completely. My DTEK50 issue I think was more of an issue that everything felt slow from the moment I had to even unlock the device.
    11-03-16 07:30 PM
    Anyone have the No Service problem on AT&T that we Priv users experience?
    11-03-16 08:52 PM
    Is the back camera really like the priv? I didnt own the priv but those who did were not happy with the camera at all.

11-04-16 09:59 AM
    Anyone have the No Service problem on AT&T that we Priv users experience?
    Nope. In fact RF performance is better than my Priv (materially so) and at least equal (and perhaps superior!) to my Passport.

This case line fits perfectly; I have one and like it a lot. It's basically an Otterbox without the ridiculous bulk and EXTREMELY protective.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU12653267

Here is a quick-look review I wrote about a week ago; there's a much more in-depth one coming, probably early next week.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231593
    11-04-16 10:02 AM
    I'm also keen to know how well the battery performs over 24 hours (once you've settled in with all your apps and customization completed)

11-04-16 10:18 AM
    The device was slow you mean? I thought 3 gb would be sufficient for its size.

Didn't even like my DTEK50 that much. But still rushed to return within the window and order a DTEK60. Should be here tomorrow. Really struggling with Android. Am actually thinking that finger print scanner may change my mind completely. My DTEK50 issue I think was more of an issue that everything felt slow from the moment I had to even unlock the device.
    11-04-16 10:19 AM
    I dont think QNX will stay as we know it. I think it will be highly enterprise to the point that it doesnt even concern consumers anymore. BB10 will just be on the shelf offered to organizations that really want to restrict phone usage to pure hardcore communication and nothing else.
    -Fit and finish seems that of a flagship

-Battery life :thumbs up:

-Camera, will know when I need it. Just seen an update come out for it too.

-Pros, hardware, battery life, screen, haptic feedback. Pros software, Dtek and BlackBerry everything, efficient.

-Cons, hardware, the sim/sd tray combined going in the way it looks; jamming a sim card sideways passing through a SD card slot. No problems just concerning maybe in the long run lol. Cons, software, simply that it's not anything to do with QNX and instead aligned with Google but my thoughts may change on that.

-Miss from BB10, swipes as prominent navigation and built in apps
    11-04-16 10:21 AM
    My device progression:
    iPhone 3g >> iPhone 4 (with a two week stint on a Nexus 4) >> iPhone 5s >> iPhone 6 >> Huawei Mate 8 >> DTEK60

*General build of the phone*
    On par with other devices I have owned; feels solid. I wouldn't use it outside of a case due to the glass/ceramic back and the large camera bump. Screen is great, and the oleophobic coating seems particularly effective in comparison to other phones I've had. Front facing speakers make the audio experience of the phone better than anything I have previously used. Button actions are nice, but the power button location is indeed very odd. I'm mostly mitigating this by using the tap to wake function, and just setting a relatively short screen time out.

*Battery life so far*
    Fantastic. Unplugged at 7:30am today, and am still at 75%, with moderate use and absolutely no attempts to control battery use (GPS, wifi, bluetooth, etc have all been on the whole time). I have no doubts that it will reliably be able to get me through a day of use, and in a pinch probably even carry me into the morning of a second day if need be. I like the ability to automatically activate the power saving functions at either 5% or 15%. What is more, the quick charging is truly remarkable; I went from less than 50% to 100% in 25min last night, and I am confident that I should be able to get to 100% in less than an hour in the vast majority of cases. This is better than any other phone I've had -- the iPhone 6 was the next closest. Even though it had a 4,000mAh battery, the Huawei Mate 8 really needed to be plugged in overnight to get to 100%, and its battery management was so poor that apps and services like GPS had a tendency to really blow through juice. I have yet to come across an app or service that does that to my DTEK60 yet.

*Camera (front/back)*
    Both are above average, and the UI is great. Cameras on the Mate 8 were crap, and even if the hardware was good, the software was not optimized at all. iPhones have always been great in that regard, and I doubt that reviews/tests will put the DTEK60 at the top of the class, but it is good enough that I won't be looking longingly at other phones for their cameras. From a UI perspective, the default settings are very intuitive and responsive -- I like that exposure compensation is very accessible -- and I really like the manual mode (I'm also a camera geek). The processing engine also seems to be good, especially at getting the right balance between noise reduction and detail in low light.

*Pros of device (Hardware/Software)*
    The BlackBerry skin of Marshmallow is outstanding. I had started using Hub and Calendar on my Mate 8, but wanted better system integration, and the DTEK60 has delivered in every possible way. I'm using Nova Launcher (personal preference), but most of the great BlackBerry features are independent of the launcher. I'm really liking the swipe shortcuts and convenience key, and I appreciate that it stays pretty stock as far as the notifications/quick settings pane are concerned. Interactions with notifications on the lock screen are great. In Marshmallow, I really like that I can turn off just about everything from Google, and really just use Android as a vehicle for a BlackBerry experience. From start to finish, there is really great hardware-software integration, which matches the continuity of Nexus & Apple devices. Fingerprint reader is fast and reliable. IMHO it's a flagship experience at less than flagship price -- glad BlackBerry finally found this sweet spot.

*Cons of device (Hardware/Software)*
    It's not 100% sunshine and roses (maybe 95%). I've got four significant complaints: i) power button, ii) TPU case, iii) lack of key stock apps, and iv) IPxx rating.

The positioning of the power button is absurd. The only way it is even remotely ergonomic is if you are pressing it with your thumb while holding it in your left hand. Its positioning directly across from the volume buttons means that it's really hard to get leverage to push it, without inadvertently changing the volume. Even if you're willing to sacrifice alternate functionality of the convenience key to use it as a screen off button, you can only set it to lock screen, which a) will only turn the screen off, not back on, and b) locks the screen such that it must be unlocked with a password, not just the fingerprint. As I said, I'm getting around this with a short screen off time, and tap to wake, which isn't too bad, but there really ought to be a better way. Maybe swap the keys with a firmware update?

The TPU case has one big deficiency and two smaller ones. With time, other TPU cases will become available, but due to the ceramic back and large camera bump, having a good TPU case is somewhat critical. The big deficiency is that it makes using the productivity tab really strained. The productivity tab swipe is only really differentiated from a standard right or left swipe (e.g. to move from one launcher page to the next) by originating at the absolute edge of the screen, or ideally, swiping from off the screen onto it. Because of the sloped sides, and the fact that the TPU case really just forms a straight line from the top corners to the bottom (no dip to follow the screen contour) making the required swiping action requires that you essentially swipe from on top of the TPU onto the screen. This only works sometimes, and is the tactile equivalent of swiping from sandpaper onto glass. The lesser of the TPU issues are that the camera bump protrudes beyond the TPU -- so it is still highly scratch prone -- and the seams that connect the back/sides are pretty rough. I don't think you really want to up the thickness of the TPU that much, but something better crafted that would sit more flush with the camera bump would be appreciated. I think a design that hugged the metal band more on the sides, and only came up to provide a face-down buffer at the chin and forehead would be ideal.

The lack of key stock apps -- PDF, document, and image viewers/editors, file manager -- isn't critical, but does seem out of sync with BlackBerry's productivity branding otherwise. A big part of the reason I got the DTEK60 was for the productivity -- Hub, Contacts, Calendar, etc -- and to stop short of document viewing and file storage seems odd. The fix is to download other apps, no biggie, but I would think that BlackBerry would want to expand their suite to include this.

IPxx ratings are far from ubiquitous, but they are pretty mainstream, and the piece of mind they offer is becoming a real differentiator. I really wanted a BlackBerry for a few reasons -- security and privacy, supporting a local firm, etc -- but I imagine there are a lot of people who can satisfy their needs AND get a device with an IPxx rating. The advantages this would offer for outdoorsy types, or those just concerned about dropping their phone in the toilet or getting caught in the rain are big, and if it could be added as a feature it would make BlackBerry devices that much more compelling.

*What do you miss from BB10?*
    Never had one
    11-04-16 02:19 PM
    I'm lucky, I like the soft shell a lot and the power button is in a nice spot for me. I may be in the minority here but I prefer it on the left vs on the right of my Samsung and iPhone.

At first the productivity tab was hopeless to swipe til I moved it to the left side. Now works like a charm
    11-04-16 06:54 PM
    Is the back camera really like the priv? I didnt own the priv but those who did were not happy with the camera at all.
    One of the best features of the Priv is the fantastic 18MP rear camera with Schneider-Kreuznach lens. Have had many compliments on my photos. You can check out some of my photos on Instagram : ajmcanuck.
    11-04-16 07:26 PM
    My device progression:
    iPhone 3g >> iPhone 4 (with a two week stint on a Nexus 4) >> iPhone 5s >> iPhone 6 >> Huawei Mate 8 >> DTEK60

*General build of the phone*
    On par with other devices I have owned; feels solid. I wouldn't use it outside of a case due to the glass/ceramic back and the large camera bump. Screen is great, and the oleophobic coating seems particularly effective in comparison to other phones I've had. Front facing speakers make the audio experience of the phone better than anything I have previously used. Button actions are nice, but the power button location is indeed very odd. I'm mostly mitigating this by using the tap to wake function, and just setting a relatively short screen time out.

*Battery life so far*
    Fantastic. Unplugged at 7:30am today, and am still at 75%, with moderate use and absolutely no attempts to control battery use (GPS, wifi, bluetooth, etc have all been on the whole time). I have no doubts that it will reliably be able to get me through a day of use, and in a pinch probably even carry me into the morning of a second day if need be. I like the ability to automatically activate the power saving functions at either 5% or 15%. What is more, the quick charging is truly remarkable; I went from less than 50% to 100% in 25min last night, and I am confident that I should be able to get to 100% in less than an hour in the vast majority of cases. This is better than any other phone I've had -- the iPhone 6 was the next closest. Even though it had a 4,000mAh battery, the Huawei Mate 8 really needed to be plugged in overnight to get to 100%, and its battery management was so poor that apps and services like GPS had a tendency to really blow through juice. I have yet to come across an app or service that does that to my DTEK60 yet.

*Camera (front/back)*
    Both are above average, and the UI is great. Cameras on the Mate 8 were crap, and even if the hardware was good, the software was not optimized at all. iPhones have always been great in that regard, and I doubt that reviews/tests will put the DTEK60 at the top of the class, but it is good enough that I won't be looking longingly at other phones for their cameras. From a UI perspective, the default settings are very intuitive and responsive -- I like that exposure compensation is very accessible -- and I really like the manual mode (I'm also a camera geek). The processing engine also seems to be good, especially at getting the right balance between noise reduction and detail in low light.

*Pros of device (Hardware/Software)*
    The BlackBerry skin of Marshmallow is outstanding. I had started using Hub and Calendar on my Mate 8, but wanted better system integration, and the DTEK60 has delivered in every possible way. I'm using Nova Launcher (personal preference), but most of the great BlackBerry features are independent of the launcher. I'm really liking the swipe shortcuts and convenience key, and I appreciate that it stays pretty stock as far as the notifications/quick settings pane are concerned. Interactions with notifications on the lock screen are great. In Marshmallow, I really like that I can turn off just about everything from Google, and really just use Android as a vehicle for a BlackBerry experience. From start to finish, there is really great hardware-software integration, which matches the continuity of Nexus & Apple devices. Fingerprint reader is fast and reliable. IMHO it's a flagship experience at less than flagship price -- glad BlackBerry finally found this sweet spot.

*Cons of device (Hardware/Software)*
    It's not 100% sunshine and roses (maybe 95%). I've got four significant complaints: i) power button, ii) TPU case, iii) lack of key stock apps, and iv) IPxx rating.

The positioning of the power button is absurd. The only way it is even remotely ergonomic is if you are pressing it with your thumb while holding it in your left hand. Its positioning directly across from the volume buttons means that it's really hard to get leverage to push it, without inadvertently changing the volume. Even if you're willing to sacrifice alternate functionality of the convenience key to use it as a screen off button, you can only set it to lock screen, which a) will only turn the screen off, not back on, and b) locks the screen such that it must be unlocked with a password, not just the fingerprint. As I said, I'm getting around this with a short screen off time, and tap to wake, which isn't too bad, but there really ought to be a better way. Maybe swap the keys with a firmware update?

The TPU case has one big deficiency and two smaller ones. With time, other TPU cases will become available, but due to the ceramic back and large camera bump, having a good TPU case is somewhat critical. The big deficiency is that it makes using the productivity tab really strained. The productivity tab swipe is only really differentiated from a standard right or left swipe (e.g. to move from one launcher page to the next) by originating at the absolute edge of the screen, or ideally, swiping from off the screen onto it. Because of the sloped sides, and the fact that the TPU case really just forms a straight line from the top corners to the bottom (no dip to follow the screen contour) making the required swiping action requires that you essentially swipe from on top of the TPU onto the screen. This only works sometimes, and is the tactile equivalent of swiping from sandpaper onto glass. The lesser of the TPU issues are that the camera bump protrudes beyond the TPU -- so it is still highly scratch prone -- and the seams that connect the back/sides are pretty rough. I don't think you really want to up the thickness of the TPU that much, but something better crafted that would sit more flush with the camera bump would be appreciated. I think a design that hugged the metal band more on the sides, and only came up to provide a face-down buffer at the chin and forehead would be ideal.

The lack of key stock apps -- PDF, document, and image viewers/editors, file manager -- isn't critical, but does seem out of sync with BlackBerry's productivity branding otherwise. A big part of the reason I got the DTEK60 was for the productivity -- Hub, Contacts, Calendar, etc -- and to stop short of document viewing and file storage seems odd. The fix is to download other apps, no biggie, but I would think that BlackBerry would want to expand their suite to include this.

IPxx ratings are far from ubiquitous, but they are pretty mainstream, and the piece of mind they offer is becoming a real differentiator. I really wanted a BlackBerry for a few reasons -- security and privacy, supporting a local firm, etc -- but I imagine there are a lot of people who can satisfy their needs AND get a device with an IPxx rating. The advantages this would offer for outdoorsy types, or those just concerned about dropping their phone in the toilet or getting caught in the rain are big, and if it could be added as a feature it would make BlackBerry devices that much more compelling.

*What do you miss from BB10?*
    Never had one
    Thanks for the great review! I agree with you about the missing native BlackBerry filing app. I still miss my Z30 with OS10 since it was so easy to use the native BlackBerry HUB, keyboard, and filer. Now that I have to Android Priv, I like the access to tons of apps, but hate the way Android handles files. It's clear BlackBerry was made for business and efficiency, whereas Android was designed for more "toy-like" devices . I too would love for BlackBerry to add back some sort of filing app to Android devices much in the way they added the HUB, DTEK security, cam�ra app and keyboard to Android.
    11-04-16 08:19 PM
    The device was slow you mean? I thought 3 gb would be sufficient for its size.
    Device was fast like apps opening, browsing, downloading, etc. I felt like it was just slow to personally do things. This is the DTEK50. So to make a call I had to first Wake Screen, PIN to unlock, go into contacts or dialer. The process seemed take time. Probably just me getting use to it. The phone was fast but couldn't operate it fast I guess? Can't explain. Def prob impatience.
    11-05-16 08:02 AM
    Thanks for the great review! I agree with you about the missing native BlackBerry filing app. I still miss my Z30 with OS10 since it was so easy to use the native BlackBerry HUB, keyboard, and filer. Now that I have to Android Priv, I like the access to tons of apps, but hate the way Android handles files. It's clear BlackBerry was made for business and efficiency, whereas Android was designed for more "toy-like" devices . I too would love for BlackBerry to add back some sort of filing app to Android devices much in the way they added the HUB, DTEK security, cam�ra app and keyboard to Android.
    Try Solid Explorer. Way better with way more functionality compared to OS10 native file manager.
    11-05-16 09:03 AM
    I'm a camera geek as well. Are you able to post multiple pictures in different lights for us?

My device progression:
    *Camera (front/back)*
    11-08-16 03:38 PM
    How else would this be quicker though i dont understand.
    Device was fast like apps opening, browsing, downloading, etc. I felt like it was just slow to personally do things. This is the DTEK50. So to make a call I had to first Wake Screen, PIN to unlock, go into contacts or dialer. The process seemed take time. Probably just me getting use to it. The phone was fast but couldn't operate it fast I guess? Can't explain. Def prob impatience.
    11-08-16 03:39 PM
    I guess this is a great takeaway from his review: lack of stock apps.
    Indeed a great review.

tonythecanuck likes this.
    11-08-16 03:40 PM
    This is an outstandingly great and detailed review. Thank you. It should help others decide and know what they're getting for their buck.
    11-08-16 03:41 PM
    Really? Alot of people complained at how bad and slow the camera operated at 18 mp.
    One of the best features of the Priv is the fantastic 18MP rear camera with Schneider-Kreuznach lens. Have had many compliments on my photos. You can check out some of my photos on Instagram : ajmcanuck.
    11-08-16 03:43 PM
    Here's my full review after roughly a week..

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231623
    zman12000, ErnieH and brian4591 like this.
    11-08-16 04:41 PM
    I'm a camera geek as well. Are you able to post multiple pictures in different lights for us?
    Couldn't get the image uploads to work in this editor (new to the forum), but here's a link to a sync.com folder. If there are specific lighting scenarios of interest, let me know and I'll shoot some.

https://ln.sync.com/dl/00614aeb0#8hh...yjewa-3s9f6wpu
    11-08-16 11:31 PM
36 12