As interested as I am in this phone, the glass back may be a deal-breaker for me. I always use TPU skins on my phones, so I don't really care about the "premium materials" look, but even with a TPU skin the glass introduces a pointless (from my point of view) element of fragility. I'd opt for more battery as well. I think 3,000 mAh is a minimum for a well-speced Android phone these days, but maybe it's optimized enough to make that a non-issue.
    If you use a TPU case I doubt you need to be too worried about the glass
    As per BlackBerry's website and BlackBerry's product manager, Battery seems good enough to easily get your through the working day with some charge at night. Which I guess I adequate?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-15-16 02:38 PM
    Glass backs are a two-edged sword. They look nice, they hold up well to ordinary wear, they are transparent to RF (which is great from an antenna perspective, BUT impact damage...... Remember the iPhone4? It had a glass back and I saw a lot of shattered ones..... If you don't go caseless then it probably doesn't matter, but if you do....

One big question will be the availability of replacement back panels and the difficulty of properly replacing one. If they're reasonably available at a rational cost, and replacement is relatively simple, then the issue is largely moot. If they're unobtanium and/or replacement is very difficult then that may become a different matter. I personally run with some sort of case in any event, so I won't care much if at all, but others may see it differently.
    Last edited by tickerguy; 10-15-16 at 03:24 PM.
    ubizmo, kjtaylor1 and Bay 13 like this.
    10-15-16 03:11 PM
    His point is 821 is already out
    In 6 months there might be a couple of phones with the 830. Or they might have been announced.
    I'm android flagship territory 820 will be outdated unfortunately

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    But why does it even matter? Why do people bother to compare with others? Is the processor fast enough to do everything you need from it? If the answer is yes then forget the rest and move on with your life...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    kjtaylor1 likes this.
    10-15-16 09:37 PM
    But why does it even matter? Why do people bother to compare with others? Is the processor fast enough to do everything you need from it? If the answer is yes then forget the rest and move on with your life...

Unfortunately that's now how the herd thinks
    The android community is obsessed with specs
    It's very much a spec game right now
    And not so much a software experience game
    People want things on their phone that they have absolutely no use of
    They just want to have the latest and greatest without actually considering how convenient the phone is

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    bigjman and Bay 13 like this.
    10-15-16 11:37 PM
    Yea the design/feel of it, is pretty slick, just wish we can swap out the battery over time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-16-16 06:34 AM
    Unfortunately that's now how the herd thinks
    The android community is obsessed with specs
    It's very much a spec game right now
    And not so much a software experience game
    Yes and no. Specs are the way to market flagship devices, since specs are what differentiate them from the mid-range ones. And it's true that poor specs make for a poor software experience.

But it's also true that more and more people are choosing mid-range phones instead of flagships, because the difference in specs doesn't make enough of a difference in user experience to warrant the added cost (for many). The herd is gradually learning. There will always be those who will pay the highest price to get the best specs available, but this group is shrinking. The rest are waking up to the fact that their two year-old phone, with it's two year-old specs, is doing all the things they need it to do, and doing them well. So maybe they decide to keep it another six months or a year. Then when they do decide to buy a new phone, the now mid-range devices perform at least as well as or better than their old phone.

In short, as in every other product category, as the market matures and novelty wears off, people pay more attention to value for their money and less attention to the cutting edge.
    AmritD, JeepBB, Bay 13 and 1 others like this.
    10-16-16 08:42 AM
    Yes and no. Specs are the way to market flagship devices, since specs are what differentiate them from the mid-range ones. And it's true that poor specs make for a poor software experience.

But it's also true that more and more people are choosing mid-range phones instead of flagships, because the difference in specs doesn't make enough of a difference in user experience to warrant the added cost (for many). The herd is gradually learning. There will always be those who will pay the highest price to get the best specs available, but this group is shrinking. The rest are waking up to the fact that their two year-old phone, with it's two year-old specs, is doing all the things they need it to do, and doing them well. So maybe they decide to keep it another six months or a year. Then when they do decide to buy a new phone, the now mid-range devices perform at least as well as or better than their old phone.

In short, as in every other product category, as the market matures and novelty wears off, people pay more attention to value for their money and less attention to the cutting edge.
    True to some extent
    But countries with the most no. of cellphone users (China, India)
    It's totally a spec game
    Which handset maker is giving the best specs at the price
    For example, a Motorola provides a much better software experience but the xiomi is selling more in the price range simply because it offers better specs with a poor software experience.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-16-16 09:49 AM
    You're either blind or over 60YO!!! brother, blackberry has the WORST designers of all time. People like you is why blackberry's HW department failed. I have surveyed tens of people with passport and Priv, they find it the UGLIEST things ever.

I'm glad chen fired the entire incompetent designers.

Posted via CB10
    PRIV Wins Red Dot Award for Product Design 2016! | Inside BlackBerry
    BlackBerry Passport Wins Best of the Best Red Dot Award 2015! | Inside BlackBerry
    BlackBerry Passport & BlackBerry Z3 win iF DESIGN AWARD | Inside BlackBerry
    here is the problem... if they got those award from those "60YO" judge... more would come out... may be you should be the judge and start to influence the award?
    mithrazor, kjtaylor1 and Bay 13 like this.
    10-17-16 08:11 AM
    But it's also true that more and more people are choosing mid-range phones instead of flagships, because the difference in specs doesn't make enough of a difference in user experience to warrant the added cost (for many). The herd is gradually learning.
    I don't think it's just related to the herd learning. I think it's more that devices have changed. What you can do with a mid-range phone nowadays is more than what could be done with the highest-end models a few years ago. I'm not talking about specs here but rather everyday use. Until maybe three years ago, a mid-range phone inevitable meant sacrificing features, thus limiting its usefulness. But take the Nexus 6 series which I would see as kind of a turning point - a great phone that does everything one could possibly want and which is affordable at the same time. But how was the situation back in 2013?

So, I would totally subscribe to your statement about how the only slightly better user experience does not warrant the extra cost for a high-end device for many people these days. I just think it was more than just always blindly going for the highest specs without any need in the past.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 09:48 AM
    I don't think it's just related to the herd learning. I think it's more that devices have changed. What you can do with a mid-range phone nowadays is more than what could be done with the highest-end models a few years ago. I'm not talking about specs here but rather everyday use. Until maybe three years ago, a mid-range phone inevitable meant sacrificing features, thus limiting its usefulness. But take the Nexus 6 series which I would see as kind of a turning point - a great phone that does everything one could possibly want and which is affordable at the same time. But how was the situation back in 2013?

So, I would totally subscribe to your statement about how the only slightly better user experience does not warrant the extra cost for a high-end device for many people these days. I just think it was more than just always blindly going for the highest specs without any need in the past.

Posted via CB10
    Do not agree one bit. Newer processors, better efficiency, more CPU power, better DSP/ISP (in the case of the SoC in the Pixel), etc.

My phone chokes on doing certain tasks on this phone. It can't keep up. Mobile chips are no where close to doing what Desktop PCs can do.

My apps can open quicker, they can perform tasks quicker. Esp if I'm doing image manipulation. Also if I'm multitasking, a better CPU would help.

I'm waiting another year to upgrade because i'm hoping for a bettter processor that can keep up with my needs.

As of right now, they can't.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-16 12:28 PM
    Staples has now taken down the page with the DTEK60 listing. It is no longer available. Likely got fed up waiting for BlackBerry to make an "official" release statement.

kjtaylor1 likes this.
    10-17-16 12:45 PM
    Staples has now taken down the page with the DTEK60 listing. It is no longer available. Likely got fed up waiting for BlackBerry to make an "official" release statement.

Making the rounds too huh?

10-17-16 02:19 PM
    If it's a glass back youll have to have a clear case on it or itl smudge beyond repair.

Also note if you drop this phone there goes your money, itl crack and shatter easily!

I thought I was sold on this , yeah it's got flagship specifications etc , but I just saw mercury pop up which apparently is going to have a finger print scanner embedded into the space bar and be a pkb with a cool mid range chipset and an awesome pkb design with a 4.5 inch display,

Stand out of the crowd.. I'm sorry, I won't be going in for the dtek anymore, im sold for the mercury.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    10-17-16 03:17 PM
    The Mercury is quite-likely going to be a battery-life monster and have the PKB -- if it comes out.

However, you can only buy what you have available to you. Right now this is the Priv and DTEK50, which is troublesome for me because I have a family member that needs a phone, and neither is ideal. The DTEK60 is, but I can't buy it today. So what do they do? They're going to wind up with a OnePlus3 at this rate, I suspect, although I am trying to convince them to wait -- that convincing is going to get harder and harder on a daily basis.

Why? They have a Z30 with a battery that is failing. I'd just replace it for them EXCEPT that the phone ALSO has a cracked screen (which they're living with right now), so replacing it isn't worth it. Thus, the need for a new device -- they'd just buy another Z30 but... that's not a choice either.

There's probably another week -- maybe -- before they simply jump off the BlackBerry ship entirely. Not because they want to, but because the Z30's battery is now getting to the point that they can't go to work with a near-full charge and get through their shift without it being dead. It doesn't have to go further down the hole than that before they pull the trigger, and if BlackBerry doesn't have something they want then obviously that's a customer lost.
    10-17-16 04:01 PM
    Several Z30s on eBay, including mine (mint condition!) as soon as the 60 comes out!

10-17-16 04:08 PM
    Honestly there's no word at all when the dtek 60 will be available? Iam currently up for a hardware upgrade, and I really really need a phone

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 04:15 PM
    Several Z30s on eBay, including mine (mint condition!) as soon as the 60 comes out!
    But that of course does them no good TODAY.

Yes, there are Z30s on eBAY. With 2+ year old batteries. Which WILL fail (average power loss is 15-20% of capacity PER YEAR in Li chemistry batteries.) Which means the phone has to be VERY cheap, because the battery replacement cost has to be included in the acquisition, and virtually everyone on eBay radically overprices used (especially ~2+ year old) devices on this basis. Even if the phone is "NIB" it still has a 2 year old battery in it, which means that in NEW condition it has to sell for about $100 to be a decent deal.

I won't let them make the mistake of overpaying and finding out they need to blow *another* $100 on a genuine (new, not a pull) battery replacement, which means unless it's nearly free they're buying SOMETHING new. The only question remaining is "what".
    10-17-16 04:25 PM
    I will need brakes on my 2014 Charger, your $700 might pay for the front
    Might as well change your oil while you are at it
    10-19-16 07:42 PM
    But that of course does them no good TODAY.

Yes, there are Z30s on eBAY. With 2+ year old batteries. Which WILL fail (average power loss is 15-20% of capacity PER YEAR in Li chemistry batteries.) Which means the phone has to be VERY cheap, because the battery replacement cost has to be included in the acquisition, and virtually everyone on eBay radically overprices used (especially ~2+ year old) devices on this basis. Even if the phone is "NIB" it still has a 2 year old battery in it, which means that in NEW condition it has to sell for about $100 to be a decent deal.

I won't let them make the mistake of overpaying and finding out they need to blow *another* $100 on a genuine (new, not a pull) battery replacement, which means unless it's nearly free they're buying SOMETHING new. The only question remaining is "what".
    Is your upper case button getting STUCK? Investment in a replacement, second hand z30 if I were you.

10-20-16 01:38 PM
    Is your upper case button getting STUCK? Investment in a replacement, second hand z30 if I were you.

So when one cannot read for comprehension, or doesn't like the message, the response is ad-hominen?

Give me a break.

The facts are what they are when it comes to Li chemistry batteries. Manufacturers have gone to "not easily replaceable" ones for a host of reasons, some good, some not-so-good. But all of the reasons wind up in the same place, which is that after ~2 years any such battery is trash from a standpoint of service life.

Now if a manufacturer makes replacement new (not pull) batteries available on a long-term basis at a reasonable cost, and the replacement is reasonably easy (e.g. the back isn't glued on, the battery can be removed with a modest amount of effort and replaced, etc) then it's not a big deal. But nobody does that. Even Apple, which will replace said batteries, wants crazy money to do so compared against cost.

So buying a used Z30, at this point when they've been out of production for over a year means you're getting *at best* a unit with a battery that has a ~25% capacity penalty from the first time you turn it on, and probably closer to 50%. In other words, useless. And worse, most if not all of the third-party battery replacements available (e.g. on eBay) are used pulls and worth zero.

I've gone through this exercise before with *removable* battery phones, such as the SGS II; oh, you could get replacement batteries but they are nearly-all used pulls, counterfeit or both and had 50% or less of actual OEM capacity unless you bought a legitimate Samsung one in a store and paid $50+ for it.
    10-20-16 01:58 PM
    You're probably right but mine hasn't been used for a year if you want to make me an offer (!).

10-20-16 02:10 PM
    TCL did a great job on the design but I still prefer blackberry design like classic, passport, q10, z30, z10.
    This. The DTEK60 doesn't have the same cool factor. Just look at the Priv's lines! It's a work of art. Same with the Passport OG, absolute art.

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-21-16 01:23 AM
    It does look pretty nice, Can't wait for the first reviews...
    10-21-16 02:14 AM
73 123