No update? Or verification error?
    Don't know about others, but I definitely do not have an update ready for installation. CET-zone, factory unlocked phone. I guess it's a more than normal reaction at this point that people here are sending critical reactions. TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) were to praise if they would at least react and adress the criticism.
    The companies that are responsible for the BlackBerry brand one way or another are definitely not living up to their customers expectations when it comes to aftersales.
    01-05-18 01:38 PM
    Nothing from BlackBerry on the regular USA version of the Dtek 60 replaced because of faulty battery. I think Nov update arrived 11-29 or 11-30.
    01-05-18 01:40 PM
    Don't know about others, but I definitely do not have an update ready for installation. CET-zone, factory unlocked phone. I guess it's a more than normal reaction at this point that people here are sending critical reactions. TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) were to praise if they would at least react and adress the criticism.
    The companies that are responsible for the BlackBerry brand one way or another are definitely not living up to their customers expectations when it comes to aftersales.
    The only thing you'll here on this website is to fix your problem you need to spend your hard earned cash and buy a key1 or motion. All they care about is making sales numbers.
    HughJarsse likes this.
    01-05-18 04:49 PM
    The only thing you'll here on this website is to fix your problem you need to spend your hard earned cash and buy a key1 or motion. All they care about is making sales numbers.
    On THIS site?

Dozens of people have been helped first hand to apply the screwy update - if not hundreds or thousands more who only read the threads after.
    01-05-18 04:55 PM
    no update here
    moonflyer likes this.
    01-05-18 06:46 PM
    No update here in DK.
    moonflyer likes this.
    01-05-18 06:59 PM
    Australia and still on the November patch as well.
    moonflyer and ptaylor10 like this.
    01-06-18 07:23 PM
    Australia and still on the November patch as well.
    That's because you're upside down or down under...
    01-06-18 07:42 PM
    On THIS site?

Dozens of people have been helped first hand to apply the screwy update - if not hundreds or thousands more who only read the threads after.
    Yes, you are right. And I really think everyone is grateful.
    So indeed the forums are not to blame.

But I think 'this site' was also meant to point at Crackberry.com and in that case I believe there is at least some truth to the post.
    Crackberry is being sponsored heavily by TCL/Blackberry Mobile. And at this point in time there is no logic for Crackberry.com anymore to lay some pressure on TCL in supporting the DTEK-series. The main purpose of Crackberry.com is to promote the KEYone and Motion. And therefore we have all been reading the subtle hints by the admins that a switch from a DTEK60 to a KEYone or a Motion are the only sensible actions.

You don't even have to read between the lines. And ofcourse that makes sense... You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.

But it doesn't mean we can't point a critical finger for this kind of 'marketing'. That even BlackBerry is directing towards this community for technical support says a lot.
    01-07-18 04:18 AM
    Yes, you are right. And I really think everyone is grateful.
    So indeed the forums are not to blame.

But I think 'this site' was also meant to point at Crackberry.com and in that case I believe there is at least some truth to the post.
    Crackberry is being sponsored heavily by TCL/Blackberry Mobile. And at this point in time there is no logic for Crackberry.com anymore to lay some pressure on TCL in supporting the DTEK-series. The main purpose of Crackberry.com is to promote the KEYone and Motion. And therefore we have all been reading the subtle hints by the admins that a switch from a DTEK60 to a KEYone or a Motion are the only sensible actions.

You don't even have to read between the lines. And ofcourse that makes sense... You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.

But it doesn't mean we can't point a critical finger for this kind of 'marketing'. That even BlackBerry is directing towards this community for technical support says a lot.
    First, a lot of the comments to move on are from Crackberry volunteers and not paid employees.

Second, what do we get for blaming TCL regarding DTEK? TCL/BBMo didn't sell me the devices. It was BlackBerry and I got what I paid for. Did I get what I hoped for? I had low expectations because I could see no carriers sold DTEK here in USA. It was a rebranded device. These were orphan devices from the start.

Third, getting mad at BlackBerry does nothing against them since they exited hardware, they don't care that I've got orphaned devices or that I didn't get my typical BlackBerry value. I got what I paid for but, no extra value.

Fourth, getting mad at BlackBerry Mobile does nothing for me, since they have device I want and now I have, KEYone. I bought through my carrier, AT&T for buyer satisfaction to handle any problems on my behalf. Since BBMo didn't sell me DTEK, I'll give them a chance. I won't buy Motion until most likely offered through carrier also or at minimum, officially in USA.
    01-07-18 04:58 AM
    First, a lot of the comments to move on are from Crackberry volunteers and not paid employees.

Second, what do we get for blaming TCL regarding DTEK? TCL/BBMo didn't sell me the devices. It was BlackBerry and I got what I paid for. Did I get what I hoped for? I had low expectations because I could see no carriers sold DTEK here in USA. It was a rebranded device. These were orphan devices from the start.

Third, getting mad at BlackBerry does nothing against them since they exited hardware, they don't care that I've got orphaned devices or that I didn't get my typical BlackBerry value. I got what I paid for but, no extra value.

Fourth, getting mad at BlackBerry Mobile does nothing for me, since they have device I want and now I have, KEYone. I bought through my carrier, AT&T for buyer satisfaction to handle any problems on my behalf. Since BBMo didn't sell me DTEK, I'll give them a chance. I won't buy Motion until most likely offered through carrier also or at minimum, officially in USA.
    Although a lot of the comments are from Crackberry volunteers, there certainly are comments from those that are getting paid that say exactly the same.
    And I agree that it probably might not get us anywhere getting mad. So I don't get mad. I will stay critical though.
    And my criticism is that I feel that Crackberry is nothing more these days than a marketing tool for TCL/BlackBerry Mobile. Where there used to be strong words by the peeps running the community, and BlackBerry got criticism from the editors if they screwed up, there is hardly any of that spunk left.
    For example crappy security updates are left unspoken (except in the forums), and these kind of things would have been adressed by the editors in the old days.

Regarding the DTEK'S I just want to say that although BlackBerry sold them initially, TCL/BlackBerry Mobile is now responsible for support. And with that the responsibility towards customers that bought a DTEK means that they are entitled to receive decent services. Whether the device is an orphaned one or not is not of any importance.
    I know a very often heard reply on this is that this is how every manufacturer is behaving, but that doesn't make it right. That's an excuse mentality that won't change anything. So I keep on insisting that we as customers of BlackBerry products should get better service.

I do respect your opinion, and your point of view, but I still do not agree.
    01-07-18 05:29 AM
    Tubular Bell - what a well written post. I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Sadly there will be no change ...... but a good thing to come from it .... is that I am ready now to either get an Apple or Oneplus android ..... Thanks BlackBerry, BlackBerry Mobile & TCL for making this the clear and easy choice. So very very disappointed.. We all had such high (but not unreasonable) expectations.
    tubularbell likes this.
    01-07-18 06:28 AM
    Tubular Bell - what a well written post. I'm 100% in agreement with you.

Sadly there will be no change ...... but a good thing to come from it .... is that I am ready now to either get an Apple or Oneplus android ..... Thanks BlackBerry, BlackBerry Mobile & TCL for making this the clear and easy choice. So very very disappointed.. We all had such high (but not unreasonable) expectations.
    I guess the point I'm making to both of you is that everything has changed because the smartphone market has matured and nows in a shakeout phase. Look how Apple got caught with battery issue. Whether intentional or not, things can be interpreted from opposite sides and companies decide safest thing is to keep quiet unless forced to address.

The issues with Android Flagship OEMs and exploding batteries were dealt with similarly. There have been a few issues regarding batteries long before the most recent that were dealt with quietly for multiple reasons.

People have expectations that companies have ethical obligations to customers. The reality is that companies have fiduciary obligations to owners (shareholders). As long as company adheres to laws, that keeps them away from more lawsuits than anything else.

Many have thought some companies were different, however, that unfortunately is naive.
    Buy what you like from any company you like. But remember the original rule, Caveat Empor. If you think ANY of these companies are special, ask yourself, why they include all that legal paperwork inside the box your phone comes in.
    01-07-18 09:54 AM
    seeing as the update issue is not going to be resolved anytime soon, is there a way to get rid of the notification?
    01-07-18 02:36 PM
    seeing as the update issue is not going to be resolved anytime soon, is there a way to get rid of the notification?
    Go to settings, apps, find the google play services app and disable all notifications.
    01-07-18 03:29 PM
    Although a lot of the comments are from Crackberry volunteers, there certainly are comments from those that are getting paid that say exactly the same.
    They all deny getting paid, but somehow they respond to posts all day long with almost no delay. That's strange if you really think about it. If I were to do that all day, how would I do actual work to pay my bills?

If someone said the following statement, I wouldn't disagree with it: "Crackberry.com is the quasi-after-sales support arm of BBMo/TCL in lieu of users demanding actual high quality phone/web support."**

**Note that I didn't say that there isn't phone/web support at all. What I am saying is that this forum is the catch-all support, where phone/web support is so bad that your catch-all is the most informed support anyway.

Going back to the topic of Dec 2017 botched patch: can you guys imagine how many people are not on this forum who will never figure out why they can't patch their phones? My bet is that the majority of DTEK60 owners will never know the workaround exists and they will never get past this patch. That helplessness will make them angry, no doubt.
    Illuminati5077 likes this.
    01-07-18 05:24 PM
    They all deny getting paid, but somehow they respond to posts all day long with almost no delay. That's strange if you really think about it. If I were to do that all day, how would I do actual work to pay my bills?

If someone said the following statement, I wouldn't disagree with it: "Crackberry.com is the quasi-after-sales support arm of BBMo/TCL in lieu of users demanding actual high quality phone/web support."**

**Note that I didn't say that there isn't phone/web support at all. What I am saying is that this forum is the catch-all support, where phone/web support is so bad that your catch-all is the most informed support anyway.

Going back to the topic of Dec 2017 botched patch: can you guys imagine how many people are not on this forum who will never figure out why they can't patch their phones? My bet is that the majority of DTEK60 owners will never know the workaround exists and they will never get past this patch. That helplessness will make them angry, no doubt.
    Other than people on CB, who even know DTEK exists? More importantly, if people really cared about updates, the Android OEM sales hierarchy would look very different. Just because we care doesn't matter to literally 99% of consumers.
    01-07-18 05:28 PM
    Other than people on CB, who even know DTEK exists? More importantly, if people really cared about updates, the Android OEM sales hierarchy would look very different. Just because we care doesn't matter to literally 99% of consumers.
    As funny as it would be to agree with you, I don't. The D50 is having same issues with the Dec patch, and those sold in much larger numbers than the D60, and some were deployed by corporate IT. So even if they only sold 10k D60s, do we have even 1k members who list that device in their profiles? Can we get an admin to tally that?

For corporate who deployed D50s in the field, I sure hope there is a way to automate the workaround. They would be really pissed if they got a bunch of phones sent back to them to apply this patch.
    01-07-18 05:42 PM
    As funny as it would be to agree with you, I don't. The D50 is having same issues with the Dec patch, and those sold in much larger numbers than the D60, and some were deployed by corporate IT. So even if they only sold 10k D60s, do we have even 1k members who list that device in their profiles? Can we get an admin to tally that?

For corporate who deployed D50s in the field, I sure hope there is a way to automate the workaround. They would be really pissed if they got a bunch of phones sent back to them to apply this patch.
    I own both DTEK. I seriously doubt either of these devices were deployed in any significant numbers. No USA carriers stocked the device.

BTW, I'd send you a paystub to prove I don't get paid, however can't prove a negative... LOL

I've learned that many on CB have deskjobs that allow them easy participation. Also, for many CB is their distraction instead of Facebook or other social media.
    01-07-18 05:51 PM

Many have thought some companies were different, however, that unfortunately is naive.
    Buy what you like from any company you like. But remember the original rule, Caveat Empor. If you think ANY of these companies are special, ask yourself, why they include all that legal paperwork inside the box your phone comes in.
    I am very aware of that original rule. And that is exactly why I bought myself a DTEK60. And not a One Plus (at that time I didn't believe they'd live up to my expectations on security), an iPhone (partly because of the same reason, and also because it was too expensive) or a Samsung (not as secure either, and too mainstream for my taste).

And especially because of the fact that BlackBerry promised monthly security patches. And that it was the most secure phone possible.

For me there lies the problem. BlackBerry doesn't live up to that promise. No monthly patches, and no Nougat/Oreo makes the second promise questionable to say the least. That is misleading the customer.

I would like to stop the conversation here in this thread. It is going off topic. My fault, I started it. Sorry, folks!

Feel free to send me a pm or maybe we should start a new thread. All fine by me!
    01-08-18 12:44 AM
    No update here in Japan either. Still with November 2017 patch.
    01-08-18 08:06 AM
    No update here in Japan either. Still with November 2017 patch.
    Hang in there dude.... All resources are working on getting us the the Android 8.0 update for mid-February or so. Then they will skip the March & April updates since in May we are going straight to 8.1. Worth waiting, no?
    01-08-18 10:58 AM
    Hang in there dude.... All resources are working on getting us the the Android 8.0 update for mid-February or so. Then they will skip the March & April updates since in May we are going straight to 8.1. Worth waiting, no?
    Really? Or is there a tongue in a cheek somewhere...
    01-08-18 03:08 PM
    Completely serious. No tongue and no cheek anywhere. BB/BBMo/TCL has seen the error of their ways and it's 180 degree turn now. Rumor has it that to make up for this huge snafu, they are promising Android P (9.0) for the D60, though it looks unlikely for the D50. Keep watching for a CES announcement on this.
    01-08-18 03:33 PM
    I don't believe tongue but finger perhaps along with a smirk.
    01-08-18 03:35 PM
312 ... 7891011 ...