Am I imagining things, or did BBMo fanboys start to cooperate (or duplicate accounts??) to make an artificial positive discussion in a topic about terrible situation with updates for DTEK60?

Z30 >> DTEK60
    01-08-18 07:17 PM
    Meh.

I'll believe it when it hits my device.
    01-09-18 06:53 AM
    Although a lot of the comments are from Crackberry volunteers, there certainly are comments from those that are getting paid that say exactly the same.
    And I agree that it probably might not get us anywhere getting mad. So I don't get mad. I will stay critical though.
    And my criticism is that I feel that Crackberry is nothing more these days than a marketing tool for TCL/BlackBerry Mobile. Where there used to be strong words by the peeps running the community, and BlackBerry got criticism from the editors if they screwed up, there is hardly any of that spunk left.
    For example crappy security updates are left unspoken (except in the forums), and these kind of things would have been adressed by the editors in the old days.

Regarding the DTEK'S I just want to say that although BlackBerry sold them initially, TCL/BlackBerry Mobile is now responsible for support. And with that the responsibility towards customers that bought a DTEK means that they are entitled to receive decent services. Whether the device is an orphaned one or not is not of any importance.
    I know a very often heard reply on this is that this is how every manufacturer is behaving, but that doesn't make it right. That's an excuse mentality that won't change anything. So I keep on insisting that we as customers of BlackBerry products should get better service.

I do respect your opinion, and your point of view, but I still do not agree.
    Also totally agree 100% with the view poster here. Well balanced view as far as I am concerned.
    CB has changed, it once was an independent forum, and therefore free to praise/criticise as it saw it. Sadly, it is no no more than a publicity outlet for BB/BBMo/TCL, and, as such, no longer represents an independent opinion, as far as I an concerned...
    They decided to 'take the thirty pieces of silver' as it were, and we now have to accept that their position and responses will be made accordingly...so there will not be any 'rocking the boat' from them, in any way, shape or form,.......toe the 'company line' is the mantra now, sadly..
    Personally, I have lost a lot of respect for CB, as they have lost their 'edge' regarding 'seeing it like it is' and now 'see it as they are told'
    My take on it, maybe not everyone elses...
    tubularbell likes this.
    01-09-18 10:34 AM
    I own both DTEK. I seriously doubt either of these devices were deployed in any significant numbers. No USA carriers stocked the device.

BTW, I'd send you a paystub to prove I don't get paid, however can't prove a negative... LOL

I've learned that many on CB have deskjobs that allow them easy participation. Also, for many CB is their distraction instead of Facebook or other social media.
    So basically then, BB/TCL/BBMo aquired CB for nothing?? CB becomes a 'subsidary' of TCL/BB/BBMo for FREE??

Really??
    Honestly??

??
    01-09-18 10:43 AM
    Regarding the DTEK'S I just want to say that although BlackBerry sold them initially, TCL/BlackBerry Mobile is now responsible for support. And with that the responsibility towards customers that bought a DTEK means that they are entitled to receive decent services.
    Depends on the specifics of the agreement between the two parties.

Obviously BlackBerry is paying TCL to assume responsibility, but perhaps only enough to answer the phone and provide some predetermined minimum level of support.
    01-09-18 11:06 AM
    Depends on the specifics of the agreement between the two parties.

Obviously BlackBerry is paying TCL to assume responsibility, but perhaps only enough to answer the phone and provide some predetermined minimum level of support.
    I don't know if that is entirely true. Maybe the agreement is like that, but as far as I know Dutch law states that if customers have not been informed directly that conditions of services have changed by the manufacturer, than the original terms still are valid. And I did not receive any direct message from either the retailer nor BlackBerry that this was the case.
    01-09-18 11:14 AM
    I don't know if that is entirely true. Maybe the agreement is like that, but as far as I know Dutch law states that if customers have not been informed directly that conditions of services have changed by the manufacturer, than the original terms still are valid. And I did not receive any direct message from either the retailer nor BlackBerry that this was the case.
    The original terms are already satisfied. There was no promise regarding updates of any kind.

As long as the phone is answered, and repair services offered, during the warranty period, they have upheld their end of the bargain.
    01-09-18 11:16 AM
    The original terms are already satisfied. There was no promise regarding updates of any kind.

As long as the phone is answered, and repair services offered, during the warranty period, they have upheld their end of the bargain.
    TOS is not the only thing that has to be met in EU. If monthly securitypatches are promised in advertising, than those as well
    01-09-18 11:22 AM
    TOS is not the only thing that has to be met in EU. If monthly securitypatches are promised in advertising, than those as well
    Even for the EU, it's already been over a year of updates, so that's a non-starter. Nor have the updates stopped, BTW.
    01-09-18 11:38 AM
    So basically then, BB/TCL/BBMo aquired CB for nothing?? CB becomes a 'subsidary' of TCL/BB/BBMo for FREE??

Really??
    Honestly??

??
    No, but there are very few paid on here that are participating in the forums. I've become familiar with those people through, believe it not, poor behavior on my part. Most of the mods on here are just volunteers, but I've gotten violations or PMs from actual staff.

While you're entitled to your opinion, it's just that, your opinion. Many of us here are just different opinions than yours and free. CB disclosed it's paid monies and such from BBMo/TCL.

Mobile Nations has evolved as company and so has CrackBerry to survive. Besides this isn't 2005 anymore with BB the "businessman" phone.

It's like saying Newsweek and Time aren't cutting edge journalism anymore. It's 2018 and we live in a throwaway society. If you think CB time is over, do what makes the USA great, exercise your personal freedoms and start your own competitor.
    01-09-18 11:58 AM
    No, but there are very few paid on here that are participating in the forums. I've become familiar with those people through, believe it not, poor behavior on my part. Most of the mods on here are just volunteers, but I've gotten violations or PMs from actual staff.

While you're entitled to your opinion, it's just that, your opinion. Many of us here are just different opinions than yours and free. CB disclosed it's paid monies and such from BBMo/TCL.

Mobile Nations has evolved as company and so has CrackBerry to survive. Besides this isn't 2005 anymore with BB the "businessman" phone.

It's like saying Newsweek and Time aren't cutting edge journalism anymore. It's 2018 and we live in a throwaway society. If you think CB time is over, do what makes the USA great, exercise your personal freedoms and start your own competitor.
    Fair comment, but...as for 'starting my own competitor' well, really not worth doing, as moving away from Blackberry, after the shambles of the 'Dtek saga' where products were 'knowingly sold to customers as securest android' and backed up by 'fastest and regular updates' whilst deliberately 'moving away from manufacturing' and then making these devices 'legacy' when not even a year old!! Subsequently the BIG fiasco regarding 'updates' either late, or not at all, only certain areas/countries getting anything or nothing, and, to cap it all, the December apology for an 'update' that was faulty/pulled/reissued whilst STILL faulty and BB/TCL/BBMo expecting people to jump through hoops to install. (They didn't even apologise, and left people with no instructions to sort this unless they were CB users!!) Even NOW, there is NO official word from them regarding this chaos, and that's without the 'no OS upgrade' we have had to accept!!
    Next phone will not be anything by BB/TCL etc, as it seems that they have absolutely no idea whatsoever about 'customer care'

January updates anyone??
    01-09-18 01:04 PM
    Even for the EU, it's already been over a year of updates, so that's a non-starter. Nor have the updates stopped, BTW.
    No, they have not, but that doesn't mean they are living up to their promise. And as for the over a year period... BlackBerry never mentioned the updates would be guaranteed just for one year.

Whether or not something will be actually done about it is another matter. It is too small a problem to look into. There is no safety in numbers anymore where it comes to BlackBerry branded phones.
    It does not make for a good excuse though for TCL/BBMo to make it as crappy as this.

Everyone can keep on saying that this is just how things work these days, but it still does not mean that it's all right.
    01-09-18 01:38 PM
    No, they have not, but that doesn't mean they are living up to their promise. And as for the over a year period... BlackBerry never mentioned the updates would be guaranteed just for one year.

Whether or not something will be actually done about it is another matter. It is too small a problem to look into. There is no safety in numbers anymore where it comes to BlackBerry branded phones.
    It does not make for a good excuse though for TCL/BBMo to make it as crappy as this.

Everyone can keep on saying that this is just how things work these days, but it still does not mean that it's all right.
    Whichever Android OEM has a better overall consistent update record since the PRIV was introduced two years ago, is the brand you should consider. Look at the price you paid for your device(if the PRIV for instance) and the price for the better updated brand and decide worth it or not.

The most I've ever paid for a BB is $499 USD and I just paid that for my KEYone. I paid less for my DTEK (both models) and less for my PRIV. The Passport is the last device I bought from AT&T when I paid $499 USD as well. I always wait for the bugs to get ironed out, so I'm not early adopter.

Total monthly cost for ownership is significantly less than Android Flagship OEMs. If there's one that updates better, the extra cost isn't worth it to me.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-09-18 01:58 PM

That's right. They said nothing at all.

The only marketing material was "best in class" - somewhat similar to "world's best cup of coffee". A tough starting point for a lawsuit.

I can't speak to the issues in Europe, but here is my experience in NA with the DTEK60:

Nov - Nov 11 - AAH487

Dec - Dec 5 - AAI039

Jan - Jan 4 - AAI470

Feb - Feb 5 - AAJ051

Mar - Mar 9 - AAJ934

Apr - missed

May - May 8 - AAL158

Jun - Jul 14 - AAM326

Jul - missed

Aug - Aug 28 - AAN548

Sep - Sep 19 - AAO562

Oct - missed

Nov - Nov 14 - AAQ934

Dec - Dec 20 - AAR941
    01-09-18 01:59 PM
    Whichever Android OEM has a better overall consistent update record since the PRIV was introduced two years ago, is the brand you should consider. Look at the price you paid for your device(if the PRIV for instance) and the price for the better updated brand and decide worth it or not.

The most I've ever paid for a BB is $499 USD and I just paid that for my KEYone. I paid less for my DTEK (both models) and less for my PRIV. The Passport is the last device I bought from AT&T when I paid $499 USD as well. I always wait for the bugs to get ironed out, so I'm not early adopter.

Total monthly cost for ownership is significantly less than Android Flagship OEMs. If there's one that updates better, the extra cost isn't worth it to me.
    That's fair enough, and you have mentioned exactly the point why I haven't jumped ship yet. I could go for a Google Pixel but they're still too expensive in my taste.
    And I must admit that I just do not have the faith in Google as a company that besides the newer OS and (afaik) the monthly updates are indeed monthly.
    I loved my Passport and was sorry that I was forced to switch to Android (or other) because otherwise I couldn't read my work email any longer.
    But I expected more than my current DTEK60 experience. Not necessarily hardware wise, because I like the phone. But on the software part I just expected more. And that is just because it is called a BlackBerry
    01-09-18 02:32 PM
    That's fair enough, and you have mentioned exactly the point why I haven't jumped ship yet. I could go for a Google Pixel but they're still too expensive in my taste.
    And I must admit that I just do not have the faith in Google as a company that besides the newer OS and (afaik) the monthly updates are indeed monthly.
    I loved my Passport and was sorry that I was forced to switch to Android (or other) because otherwise I couldn't read my work email any longer.
    But I expected more than my current DTEK60 experience. Not necessarily hardware wise, because I like the phone. But on the software part I just expected more. And that is just because it is called a BlackBerry
    Remember that from a device perspective, it's as if BB went bankrupt and liquidated. Had that four years ago, we'd be happy to have DTEK over nothing. TCL is the same company that bought Palm brand and has never produced a device like Pre or Treo. I'll take a decently funded attempt with carrier support, in my case AT&T, over waiting for a Palm device that is 3-4 years overdue.
    01-09-18 02:55 PM
    That's right. They said nothing at all.

The only marketing material was "best in class" - somewhat similar to "world's best cup of coffee". A tough starting point for a lawsuit.

I can't speak to the issues in Europe, but here is my experience in NA with the DTEK60:

Nov - Nov 11 - AAH487

Dec - Dec 5 - AAI039

Jan - Jan 4 - AAI470

Feb - Feb 5 - AAJ051

Mar - Mar 9 - AAJ934

Apr - missed

May - May 8 - AAL158

Jun - Jul 14 - AAM326

Jul - missed

Aug - Aug 28 - AAN548

Sep - Sep 19 - AAO562

Oct - missed

Nov - Nov 14 - AAQ934

Dec - Dec 20 - AAR941
    Still waiting for my December update on the replacement phone from BlackBerry. So just because you got an update doesn't mean everyone else got it. Others have posted that they have not gotten it either. I am in the USA and not one of the countries you always refer to as having regulatory delays in providing updates
    baldy3577 likes this.
    01-10-18 08:18 AM
    Still waiting for my December update on the replacement phone from BlackBerry. So just because you got an update doesn't mean everyone else got it. Others have posted that they have not gotten it either. I am in the USA and not one of the countries you always refer to as having regulatory delays in providing updates
    I understand. I was really talking about the lawsuit issue, but included my personal experience as an aside.
    01-10-18 08:21 AM
    What carrier and model?
    01-10-18 09:26 AM
    Still no December update on Singtel in Singapore. Perhaps it's actually better not to receive it?...
    01-10-18 10:49 AM
    No December update in Denmark. They usually come a week or two late but this time no update.
    01-10-18 11:28 AM
    My DTEK60 from B&H says I'm all up to date when I check for updates. I have the November 2017 update.

I go to the DTEK app and it shows "Excellent" security status. But am I excellent? (I am, but is the phone?). The DTEK app shows the November patch, yet the December patch has been released (allegedly).

So what's going on? The DTEK app is lying to me? I'm not secure? They should make the DTEK app act as the core pillar in updating and managing security for the BB phones. Shouldn't the DTEK app take an active role in security, rather than passive?

The DTEK app should connect through the Internet to BBMo, or where ever, and see what the latest update is. "Oh... you are on the November patch... but the December one is available... tap here to download the latest update". The end. When the latest BB update is available it should be tagged with a severity level. So if it's serious, the DTEK app can throw a notification of "Poor security" and mark in red: "Tap to get latest update to be secure".
    01-10-18 04:14 PM
    What carrier and model?
    I bought it from BlackBerry and am using it on T Mobile. It was sent as replacement for mine after battery failure. November update came at end of the month. Since it was a direct buy, I don't think carrier has any impact on it.
    01-10-18 06:01 PM
    I bought it from BlackBerry and am using it on T Mobile. It was sent as replacement for mine after battery failure. November update came at end of the month. Since it was a direct buy, I don't think carrier has any impact on it.
    You're correct. My 60 is on November as well. I just upgraded to AT&T KEYone last week so I stopped checking for updates. Funny thing, AT&T carrier locked KEYone is on November as well.
    01-10-18 06:35 PM
    My experience with AT&T when they were more active carrying BlackBerry phones was very slow with updates. So I started buying phones direct from BlackBerry. Last 5 or 6 phones came direct from BlackBerry. I don't have any knowledge about AT&T doing security updates for the Keyone. For me all my phones will be bought unlocked
    01-10-18 07:19 PM
312 ... 89101112 ...