Disagree and I have owned:

1. Z10
    2. (Kid) Z30
    3. Passport
    4. Priv
    5. Now DTEK60

The front camera on the DTEK60 is MUCH better than any of the others.

I took quite a bit of trouble to run some comparisons between the Passport, the Priv and my (expensive!) Canon 5d3 when the Priv first came out. Both the Passport and Priv acquitted themselves well, especially considering the price difference -- I had ~$5k worth of camera and lens in my hand in the Canon gear!

The DTEK60 is roughly equivalent to the Priv. What you see here as "shots" are not the full files; they can't be, as the forum won't allow the uploads (they're too big.)

That's not really very surprising given that the sensors are basically identical and both the Priv and DTEK are f/2 lens systems. They should be very close, and IMHO they are. The Priv has more flash power (brighter) but I try not use flash "on camera" anywhere unless I need to, as I usually don't like the effects it produces.

Note that the DTEK *defaults* to shutter priority first. The Priv is slower to capture for this reason, but you can turn the DTEK60's camera on to focus priority first if you wish. In other words if you hit the button on the DTEK the shutter fires -- period. If it's out of focus, tough. You can change that in the settings. With the Priv it will (by default) focus first, and with PDAF both are fast to focus.

The shutter release time under identical conditions is materially faster on the DTEK than the Priv, but see above for why that might be good or bad depending on conditions, and how you have options set.

I do find that the DTEK has a bit of an exposure issue and more-often would like an exposure compensation (+ exposure) dialed in. This appears not to be an exposure issue per-se but rather an issue of where it's taking the metering (and focus) from in that if you touch the screen to set a focus and metering point the issue disappears. That's a software thing and I suspect BlackBerry will correct it, since they are constantly updating the camera app.
    Thanks for the info.

I am watching the camera info on this phone. I have a PRIV and my girlfriend just got the S7. The S7 is significantly better indoors, which is starting to be important to me. I really dislike all the Samsung Apps though.

I would like to upgrade to the Dtek60 but only if the camera is better than the PRIV indoors and has a faster picture capture. The PRIV is more than adequate for me outside.

Can someone do some testing comparisons between the PRIV, S7 (or equivalent) and the Dtek60 for indoor use?
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    11-05-16 01:04 PM
    Thanks for the info.

I am watching the camera info on this phone. I have a PRIV and my girlfriend just got the S7. The S7 is significantly better indoors, which is starting to be important to me. I really dislike all the Samsung Apps though.

I would like to upgrade to the Dtek60 but only if the camera is better than the PRIV indoors and has a faster picture capture. The PRIV is more than adequate for me outside.

Can someone do some testing comparisons between the PRIV, S7 (or equivalent) and the Dtek60 for indoor use?
    These are my questions too! Thanks!
    11-05-16 01:06 PM
    These are my questions too! Thanks!
    Thanks for the info.

Look. The DTEK60 has about a good a camera as you will see on a $499 device.

Stop with the S7/iPhone7/Pixel comparisons.

If photography is your bag, get a camera or pour flagship money at your smartphone.
    cuotfs and IndianTiwari like this.
    11-05-16 01:15 PM
    It is still a shame they couldn't have a better camera. I know it is most likely about cutting costs, but I would pay another 50 dollars for a much better Camera. Todays standards for phones is the camera. If the camera is better then automatically the masses assume the phone is better. Could be the case
    I agree. Photos have become very important as most people use them to communication a lot through various messaging platforms (MMS, WhatsApp, Telegram), social media (Faceook, Instagram, Facetime). I feel like everything else for Android is about even, performance, battery life,etc.

With smartphones using the same processors and what not, there's very few differentiators. So the camera is a very important feature.
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    11-05-16 01:52 PM
    I think they are all great camera. DTEK60 will improve with more software updates surely.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-16 02:12 PM
    Where do you get that 50% amount from? You can get a s7 edge for 80$ more when on sale at bhphoto (that's 16%) and it comes with a much bigger battery, and if you shop around a regular s7 can be picked up for around the same price or less as the dtek60.
    You cannot get a US model with a US warranty for that sort of price.

Sorry, compare apples to apples; the DTEK60 is a US device, with US bands and a US warranty.

B&H, like the other guys, sell both US models and "rest of world" ones. The "rest of world" models are usually cheaper, have NO US warranty *at all* (breaks past the 30 day return period, tough crap) and often are missing some of the US carrier bands which can be a crippling problem.

If you travel internationally a lot it may be worth it because they will have international bands the US models will not, but for 90%+ of customers they're a poor choice.
    11-05-16 02:19 PM
    For the record, this will be DXO's review with TCL's camera tuning, not BlackBerry's.
    While the results will be similar for some categories, you will likely find BlackBerry's tuning exceeds that of the 950. We use TCL's tuning as a starting point and then spend months tweaking and improving.
    As I posted to you in a PM there is a problem with the camera app right now on the DTEK60 in that the exposure compensation will not ramp the ISO, even when set to "auto", and the ISO will frequently select "too low" in dimmer conditions.

This means you get an underexposed image that you can't compensate for; I understand you've limited the gain to prevent artifacting problems (which I can induce by setting the ISO to ludicrous values, by the way) but this ought to be fixed -- if the ISO is set to "auto", and you run out of sensor gain then it ought to be bumped as necessary if exposure compensation is used.
    Menage likes this.
    11-05-16 02:21 PM
    As I posted to you in a PM there is a problem with the camera app right now on the DTEK60 in that the exposure compensation will not ramp the ISO, even when set to "auto", and the ISO will frequently select "too low" in dimmer conditions.

This means you get an underexposed image that you can't compensate for; I understand you've limited the gain to prevent artifacting problems (which I can induce by setting the ISO to ludicrous values, by the way) but this ought to be fixed -- if the ISO is set to "auto", and you run out of sensor gain then it ought to be bumped as necessary if exposure compensation is used.
    I just took a low light, indoor pic on full auto mode and the iso bumped to 2556. What's the problem?
    11-05-16 05:33 PM
    I have the Dtek60, the priv and the passport SE

I am disappointed in the dtek60 indoors performance, he green focus I tap on the screen is out of focus, but the objects closer are in focus, so maybe I am doing something wrong

The passport did better indoor and outdoor shots than the dtek60

Unless, there is a plastic film on the lens that I haven't taken off yet, I hope that is the case.
    11-05-16 06:19 PM
    I have the Dtek60, the priv and the passport SE

I am disappointed in the dtek60 indoors performance, he green focus I tap on the screen is out of focus, but the objects closer are in focus, so maybe I am doing something wrong

The passport did better indoor and outdoor shots than the dtek60

Unless, there is a plastic film on the lens that I haven't taken off yet, I hope that is the case.
    Ok,

So I bought another dtek60 for a buddy.

Just got it here and have them side by side,
    Same camera settings,
    Same everything

And my buddies dtek60 camera is night and day better than my dtek60

It has a great focus
    And better than the priv too

So, that is reassuring, but sadly, I have a crap sensor I guess

So, if I do warranty, will I get brand new, or refurbished?
    11-05-16 08:14 PM
    I agree. Photos have become very important as most people use them to communication a lot through various messaging platforms (MMS, WhatsApp, Telegram), social media (Faceook, Instagram, Facetime). I feel like everything else for Android is about even, performance, battery life,etc.

With smartphones using the same processors and what not, there's very few differentiators. So the camera is a very important feature.
    Agree completely! Good cameras are essential for skyping, meetings, and social media. Newer and younger consumers know this!

I just ordered the DTEK60 bundle from Crackberry (phone, quick charger, leather case, and battery), along with the extra BlackBerry soft shell case.*

If you have already subscribed to Crackberry, and have received the most recent savings code, you can get an extra 10% off the extra accessory (i.e the soft case) for a limited time (i.e. $35.99 instead of $39.99).*

Shipping is free, and Crackberry offers the option of in-store pick up at their Quebec outlet in Longueuil on the South Shore of Montreal. Otherwise ground shipping within Canada is free.*

Note: All items presently out of stock and back ordered, and no word regarding delivery date.
    Dave Knight2 likes this.
    11-05-16 09:11 PM
    Camera pixels is good in dtek60 but in iphone there is a good is that photo have some motion which different from other phone

Posted via CB10
    11-05-16 09:23 PM
    I agree camera wasn't ever BlackBerry's strong point. No surprises there.

Posted via CB10
    so crow likes this.
    11-05-16 10:05 PM

1. Z10
    2. (Kid) Z30
    3. Passport
    4. Priv
    5. Now DTEK60

I took quite a bit of trouble to run some comparisons between the Passport, the Priv and my (expensive!) Canon 5d3 when the Priv first came out. Both the Passport and Priv acquitted themselves well, especially considering the price difference -- I had ~$5k worth of camera and lens in my hand in the Canon gear!

The DTEK60 is roughly equivalent to the Priv. What you see here as "shots" are not the full files; they can't be, as the forum won't allow the uploads (they're too big.)

That's not really very surprising given that the sensors are basically identical and both the Priv and DTEK are f/2 lens systems. They should be very close, and IMHO they are. The Priv has more flash power (brighter) but I try not use flash "on camera" anywhere unless I need to, as I usually don't like the effects it produces.

Note that the DTEK *defaults* to shutter priority first. The Priv is slower to capture for this reason, but you can turn the DTEK60's camera on to focus priority first if you wish. In other words if you hit the button on the DTEK the shutter fires -- period. If it's out of focus, tough. You can change that in the settings. With the Priv it will (by default) focus first, and with PDAF both are fast to focus.

The shutter release time under identical conditions is materially faster on the DTEK than the Priv, but see above for why that might be good or bad depending on conditions, and how you have options set.

I do find that the DTEK has a bit of an exposure issue and more-often would like an exposure compensation (+ exposure) dialed in. This appears not to be an exposure issue per-se but rather an issue of where it's taking the metering (and focus) from in that if you touch the screen to set a focus and metering point the issue disappears. That's a software thing and I suspect BlackBerry will correct it, since they are constantly updating the camera app.
    How do i change the DTEK60 camera from shutter priority to focus priority (assuming you mean while on auto mode....I know how do change priorities in manual mode). Thanks TG.
    11-17-16 09:42 AM
    Three dots when the camera is open, you'll find the setting here:

"Focus before capture"
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK60 camera compared to HTC 10, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7 Edge-2016-11-17-15.56.25.jpg  
    11-17-16 09:57 AM
    Three dots when the camera is open, you'll find the setting here:

"Focus before capture"
    Ah. Thanks TG....I know of this setting...just making sure i wasn't missing a true semi-auto shutter priority or aperture priority mode.
    11-17-16 10:50 AM

1. Z10
    2. (Kid) Z30
    3. Passport
    4. Priv
    5. Now DTEK60

Finally a decent discussion on photography.

True camera comparisons are all that matter. The conditions must be controllable and consistent.

As well...pixel count doesn't necessarily equal quality.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-16 11:02 AM
    Ah. Thanks TG....I know of this setting...just making sure i wasn't missing a true semi-auto shutter priority or aperture priority mode.
    There is no such thing as a "Shutter Priority" mode in which aperture adjusts in a cell camera, since the aperture is fixed on all cell cameras I've seen in the wild thus far through the years.

You CAN, however, set either shutter or ISO manually (and leave the other in "auto" mode) on BlackBerry's camera implementation, which is quite nice.
    11-17-16 11:04 AM
    I have all these phones and compared my new BB phone camera to them. DTEK60 camera is very good. I loved the front facing flash, but the main camera isn't even close to the cameras of these phones. There is a clear winner here. I still find the S7 Edge camera is the best, followed by iPhone 7, HTC 10, an finally the DTEK60. Same could be said about the front-facing camera, except that HTC10 still has a better one than the iPhone 7.
    The DTEK60 camera is very good under in outdoor day light, but it missed a lot in low light scenes. If you want to snap a quick shot while you are moving, expect most likely a blurry image. I just sold my Priv few months ago, and I still think the Priv camera might be better. Not 100% sure about that.
    Thanks for the feedback . The best part is that first time BBRY has managed a decent selfie cam on the device .
    11-17-16 11:04 AM
    There is no such thing as a "Shutter Priority" mode in which aperture adjusts in a cell camera, since the aperture is fixed on all cell cameras I've seen in the wild thus far through the years.

You CAN, however, set either shutter or ISO manually (and leave the other in "auto" mode) on BlackBerry's camera implementation, which is quite nice.
    I agree.....BB implementation of manual mode is like having ISO priority, Shutter Priority, white balance priority...etc. Nice.
    Menage likes this.
    11-17-16 11:14 AM
70 123