It's one thing for the dtek60 to have an inferior camera, but quite another to have it produce huge files doing so !!
    10-30-16 11:10 AM
    Thanks very much for the concise reviews of the various BlackBerry cameras! Your analysis pretty much mirrors my suspicions!

It seems that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would have better rear and front facing cameras, but I guess not.

It's sad; sounds like the DTEK60 is an epic fail... I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer and younger consumers.

Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry. Social media is critical in 2016. Very sad.

😔
    Disagree.
    10-30-16 11:12 AM
    The dx0mark score is out for the DTEK60 camera. Same score as Priv and iPhone 6s.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-...s-nice-camera!
    This is more comforting. I have taken a few pictures and certainly outdoors are very nice. Low light pictures are not sharp. But a huge factor is how steady your hand is. Low light absolutely needs no movement. Stabilisation can help but even that doesn't help much if the subject is moving.
    10-30-16 11:26 AM
    So, I still have the Z30 (it�s reaching the end of its life). I am not a big fan of Android (nor Apple anymore) , but I don't think I could live without the Hub and virtual keyboard, so I'm strongly considering the 60. I like the design. I've been able to capture some great photos in with it. I've actually had iPhone users ask me what camera I use. One even thought I used an actual point and shoot camera once. :P How do the cameras compare to the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 12:39 PM
    So, I still have the Z30 (it�s reaching the end of its life). I am not a big fan of Android (nor Apple anymore) , but I don't think I could live without the Hub and virtual keyboard, so I'm strongly considering the 60. I like the design. I've been able to capture some great photos in with it. I've actually had iPhone users ask me what camera I use. One even thought I used an actual point and shoot camera once.How do the cameras compare to the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    The camera on the Z30 is archaic compared to the modern ones today.
    10-30-16 01:03 PM
    The dx0mark score is out for the DTEK60 camera. Same score as Priv and iPhone 6s.

If it's similar to iphone 6s camera quality, I'll be happy with DTEK60 camera! Just waiting for Tmobile band 12 to work 100% and I am pulling the trigger.

Actually, I had priv before and there is no way priv scored same as Iphone 6s so maybe these reviews aren't realistic.
    so crow and buwee like this.
    10-30-16 02:15 PM
    There is now a report of confirmed T-Mobile VoLTE on Band 12 here....
    10-30-16 02:26 PM
    S7 camera is really strong. The Pixel claimed to be the best camera, but still can't best the S7. S7 in low light is quite something still
    10-30-16 02:28 PM
    I think the negativity towards the camera on the 60 is a little sensationalistic. It's good camera, by all means great. It's not the absolute BEST, but I think most people looking at it would be fine with it's shooter. Especially since mosyt of the phones listed by OP are somewhere around $250 more than the 60. In a lot of people's cases it's not worth the cost.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 02:55 PM
    I know exactly zero people who would pay another 50% (and let's be fair, that's what it is!) simply for a somewhat better camera.

If there were a bunch of OTHER advantages as well, perhaps you could make the sale. But there aren't, and the camera differences are small, not large.

A 50%​ increase in cost is a LOT.
    10-30-16 03:20 PM

Well call me a happy camper! I believe DXO mark is very accurate.

As good as the IP6S and priv is good enough for me.
    10-30-16 03:33 PM
    Well call me a happy camper! I believe DXO mark is very accurate.

As good as the IP6S and priv is good enough for me.
    I would agree. If your expectations are much higher than that, then you have no business not using a DSLR or a micro four-thirds camera.
    tickerguy likes this.
    10-30-16 03:37 PM
    I'd say on par with my Sony z5 but no where near my s7 or my wifes iPhone 6. Poor low light and lots of blur if your not rock steady. That's my experience so far. Not sure if I want to keep it or exchange it for a Moto z.
    10-30-16 08:37 PM
    I would agree. If your expectations are much higher than that, then you have no business not using a DSLR or a micro four-thirds camera.
    I have the Passport SE and the Priv. Both have good rear cameras, excellent for social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.), particularly in 4:3 mode.

The Priv is fantastic; many compliments on pics taken with the rear 18MP camera with Schneider-Kreuznach lens.

.... Hope that the DTEK60 cameras are both good!
    11-02-16 03:36 PM
    So is the 21 mpxl camera on dtek 60 really this bad?
    11-02-16 07:44 PM
    No its excellent i have it.
    11-02-16 07:54 PM
    It's fantastic!! Way better than the iPhone 6 I had prior to Priv. There is always that yellow tinge in iPhone photos I find in normal daylight.
    Regardless, I can't believe anyone would say it's worse than a iPhone 6 (6s). I would take this camera any day over iPhone 6, 6s.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 11-02-16 at 09:04 PM.
    11-02-16 07:59 PM
    I know exactly zero people who would pay another 50% (and let's be fair, that's what it is!) simply for a somewhat better camera.

If there were a bunch of OTHER advantages as well, perhaps you could make the sale. But there aren't, and the camera differences are small, not large.

I would gladly pay not $50 more but even $100 more for a great camera on a phone because I always have my phone with me and not my camera. My S7 Edge's camera is the best phone camera I've had to date. Instant focus, point, shoot in piratically any lighting condition and 99% of the time I get a really sharp & vibrant photo. My Priv's main camera is pretty good as well but I find it slow to focus and slow shutter release.

Edit: I just read your post again and saw you said 50% and not $50...in which case I would absolutely agree with you
    11-02-16 08:41 PM
    I would gladly pay not $50 more but even $100 more for a great camera on a phone because I always have my phone with me and not my camera. My S7 Edge's camera is the best phone camera I've had to date. Instant focus, point, shoot in piratically any lighting condition and 99% of the time I get a really sharp & vibrant photo. My Priv's main camera is pretty good as well but I find it slow to focus and slow shutter release.

Edit: I just read your post again and saw you said 50% and not $50...in which case I would absolutely agree with you
    The dtek60 camera is excellent. Is it as good as the s7? Id say it is just below in auto mode. Little bit of tweaking can get it equal, however it is slightly better than the priv. For 499 its a phenomenal camera.

People on here complaining are just atrocious at taking shot. Give these guys your s7 and they'd find a way to take horrid shots with that camera...
    11-02-16 08:47 PM
    If it's similar to iphone 6s camera quality, I'll be happy with DTEK60 camera! Just waiting for Tmobile band 12 to work 100% and I am pulling the trigger.

Actually, I had priv before and there is no way priv scored same as Iphone 6s so maybe these reviews aren't realistic.
    That's a win in my book. I'm already happy with the camera on my PRIV. Got to say the iPhone 6s has a fantastic camera.
    11-02-16 08:49 PM

For the record, this will be DXO's review with TCL's camera tuning, not BlackBerry's.
    While the results will be similar for some categories, you will likely find BlackBerry's tuning exceeds that of the 950. We use TCL's tuning as a starting point and then spend months tweaking and improving.
    Uzi, conite, Randal Yandal and 2 others like this.
    11-05-16 12:22 AM

Where do you get that 50% amount from? You can get a s7 edge for 80$ more when on sale at bhphoto (that's 16%) and it comes with a much bigger battery, and if you shop around a regular s7 can be picked up for around the same price or less as the dtek60.
    11-05-16 08:53 AM
    For the record, this will be DXO's review with TCL's camera tuning, not BlackBerry's.
    While the results will be similar for some categories, you will likely find BlackBerry's tuning exceeds that of the 950. We use TCL's tuning as a starting point and then spend months tweaking and improving.
    OK, good to know. Cameras are increasingly important to consumers because of social media. Note that the younger the purchaser, the more important is the quality of both cameras (front and rear).
    11-05-16 09:03 AM
    I wouldn't call it an epic fail just because the camera is not as good as you want it to be.

I seem to remember that it took the camera app a few iterations before it became as good as it was. I seem to recall much moaning about it when the priv first came out.
    Some people just like to be dramatic. I think they find the phrase "nail in the coffin" cool sounding or something. Because so far literally everything has been BB's final nail in their coffin since like 2013...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-05-16 09:09 AM
    It is still a shame they couldn't have a better camera. I know it is most likely about cutting costs, but I would pay another 50 dollars for a much better Camera. Todays standards for phones is the camera. If the camera is better then automatically the masses assume the phone is better. Could be the case
    Yes, that may be the case but yet again there would be a lot of people complaining on how BlackBerry got the pricing wrong again and that it's too expensive. Overall they just decided to cut corners with the camera to stay in the sub 500 price point
    11-05-16 10:22 AM
70 123