I have all these phones and compared my new BB phone camera to them. DTEK60 camera is very good. I loved the front facing flash, but the main camera isn't even close to the cameras of these phones. There is a clear winner here. I still find the S7 Edge camera is the best, followed by iPhone 7, HTC 10, an finally the DTEK60. Same could be said about the front-facing camera, except that HTC10 still has a better one than the iPhone 7.
    The DTEK60 camera is very good under in outdoor day light, but it missed a lot in low light scenes. If you want to snap a quick shot while you are moving, expect most likely a blurry image. I just sold my Priv few months ago, and I still think the Priv camera might be better. Not 100% sure about that.
    10-28-16 05:40 PM
    I have all these phones and compared my new BB phone camera to them. DTEK60 camera is very good. I loved the front facing flash, but the main camera isn't even close to the cameras of these phones. There is a clear winner here. I still find the S7 Edge camera is the best, followed by iPhone 7, HTC 10, an finally the DTEK60. Same could be said about the front-facing camera, except that HTC10 still has a better one than the iPhone 7.
    The DTEK60 camera is very good under in outdoor day light, but it missed a lot in low light scenes. If you want to snap a quick shot while you are moving, expect most likely a blurry image. I just sold my Priv few months ago, and I still think the Priv camera might be better. Not 100% sure about that.
    Thanks for that. I don't have my dtek 60 yet but having experienced the dtek 50 and the priv, I don't think that there will be an improvement.
    Bay 13 and tonythecanuck like this.
    10-28-16 05:54 PM
    I compared mine with my brother's iPhone 7 Plus. The 7 Plus camera is way better. However, the DTEK60 camera is still great.
    Bay 13 and tonythecanuck like this.
    10-28-16 06:11 PM
    Thanks for that. I don't have my dtek 60 yet but having experienced the dtek 50 and the priv, I don't think that there will be an improvement.
    DTEK60 is faster, longer battery life, no overheating, and lighter. I think the Priv back camera is better, but the front facing camera of DTEK60 is many times better than the terrible one on the Priv.
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    10-28-16 10:24 PM
    DTEK60 is faster, longer battery life, no overheating, and lighter. I think the Priv back camera is better, but the front facing camera of DTEK60 is many times better than the terrible one on the Priv.
    Yes that would be my expectation
    10-29-16 04:03 AM
    It is still a shame they couldn't have a better camera. I know it is most likely about cutting costs, but I would pay another 50 dollars for a much better Camera. Todays standards for phones is the camera. If the camera is better then automatically the masses assume the phone is better. Could be the case
    tonythecanuck and krazyatom like this.
    10-29-16 05:10 AM
    As long as i dont see pic to pic comparisons, i dont really trust all the "subjective experiences".
    10-29-16 06:00 AM
    It is still a shame they couldn't have a better camera. I know it is most likely about cutting costs, but I would pay another 50 dollars for a much better Camera. Todays standards for phones is the camera. If the camera is better then automatically the masses assume the phone is better. Could be the case
    I agree
    10-29-16 06:38 AM
    Isn't surprising nowadays the differentiators between the best of the best is the camera. I wouldn't expect TCL to have as much camera tech as Samsung, Apple, or HTC.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-29-16 06:49 AM
    Well, check out the shots in the sticky thread. I put up a 100% crop from one taken indoors, and there's simply nothing to complain about IMHO when it comes to the camera. Are there "better"? I'm sure there are, but we're in the margins now.
    10-29-16 07:24 AM
    OK, thanks for the feedback! I have had the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv. The 18MP camera on the Priv is fantastic, but the 2MP Selfie camera is poor. Was wondering whether the DTEK60 would offer an improvement on either camera....
    10-29-16 09:37 AM
    I simply jealous of your phone collection.... always wanted to try out the htc10 - it looks amazing

Posted via CB10
    John Albert likes this.
    10-29-16 09:41 AM
    I agree completely. BlackBerry 's weakness was always 1) lack of apps 2) poor cameras, and 3) lack of understanding of the role of social media. I also would pay 50$ more for better cameras. I have the Priv and the 18MP camera is fantastic, but the 2MP selfie camera is poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would be a step up....
    10-29-16 09:44 AM
    I agree completely. BlackBerry 's weakness was always 1) lack of apps 2) poor cameras, and 3) lack of understanding of the role of social media. I also would pay 50$ more for better cameras. I have the Priv and the 18MP camera is fantastic, but the 2MP selfie camera is poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would be a step up....
    I don't have mine yet but I have the priv and dtek50 so I'll say this,

If the priv's back camera is rated 9 and the front is 4.

My wife's dtek 50 rear camera is 6 and the front camera 7

I would say the dtek60 rear camera is 7-8 and the front 7, cause it's the same as the dtek50
    10-29-16 10:29 AM
    I don't have mine yet but I have the priv and dtek50 so I'll say this,

If the priv's back camera is rated 9 and the front is 4.

My wife's dtek 50 rear camera is 6 and the front camera 7

I would say the dtek60 rear camera is 7-8 and the front 7, cause it's the same as the dtek50
    Thanks very much for the concise reviews of the various BlackBerry cameras! Your analysis pretty much mirrors my suspicions!

It seems that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would have better rear and front facing cameras, but I guess not.

It's sad; sounds like the DTEK60 is an epic fail... I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer and younger consumers.

Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry. Social media is critical in 2016. Very sad.

😔
    10-30-16 09:19 AM
    The pictures I saw with the DTEK looks good 2 me, also the camera on the dtek50 is much approved since some software update's. Still the DTEK50 camera is noisy indoors and blurry. Also making pictures with flash turns in red pictures. , that is one big issue.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by whatsever; 10-30-16 at 10:35 AM.
    10-30-16 09:28 AM
    Disagree and I have owned:

1. Z10
    2. (Kid) Z30
    3. Passport
    4. Priv
    5. Now DTEK60

The front camera on the DTEK60 is MUCH better than any of the others.

I took quite a bit of trouble to run some comparisons between the Passport, the Priv and my (expensive!) Canon 5d3 when the Priv first came out. Both the Passport and Priv acquitted themselves well, especially considering the price difference -- I had ~$5k worth of camera and lens in my hand in the Canon gear!

The DTEK60 is roughly equivalent to the Priv. What you see here as "shots" are not the full files; they can't be, as the forum won't allow the uploads (they're too big.)

That's not really very surprising given that the sensors are basically identical and both the Priv and DTEK are f/2 lens systems. They should be very close, and IMHO they are. The Priv has more flash power (brighter) but I try not use flash "on camera" anywhere unless I need to, as I usually don't like the effects it produces.

Note that the DTEK *defaults* to shutter priority first. The Priv is slower to capture for this reason, but you can turn the DTEK60's camera on to focus priority first if you wish. In other words if you hit the button on the DTEK the shutter fires -- period. If it's out of focus, tough. You can change that in the settings. With the Priv it will (by default) focus first, and with PDAF both are fast to focus.

The shutter release time under identical conditions is materially faster on the DTEK than the Priv, but see above for why that might be good or bad depending on conditions, and how you have options set.

I do find that the DTEK has a bit of an exposure issue and more-often would like an exposure compensation (+ exposure) dialed in. This appears not to be an exposure issue per-se but rather an issue of where it's taking the metering (and focus) from in that if you touch the screen to set a focus and metering point the issue disappears. That's a software thing and I suspect BlackBerry will correct it, since they are constantly updating the camera app.
    10-30-16 09:28 AM
    If the camera is as good as the priv I will be pretty happy.
    10-30-16 09:37 AM
    Thanks very much for the concise reviews of the various BlackBerry cameras! Your analysis pretty much mirrors my suspicions!

It seems that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would have better rear and front facing cameras, but I guess not.

It's sad; sounds like the DTEK60 is an epic fail... I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer and younger consumers.

Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry. Social media is critical in 2016. Very sad.

😔
    I wouldn't call it an epic fail just because the camera is not as good as you want it to be.

I seem to remember that it took the camera app a few iterations before it became as good as it was. I seem to recall much moaning about it when the priv first came out.
    10-30-16 09:38 AM
    If the camera is as good as the priv I will be pretty happy.
    I wish I was wrong ; I am a big BlackBerry fan. I have had the Torch2 9810, the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv. All are fantastic devices, each in their town right.

However, the virtual world is about social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp, Skype, etc. Students and business people alike use social media at an increasing rate. Virtual meetings are more an more common. Sending and receiving images and video are increasingly common. Humans in general use their eyes to take in 90% of the information about the world around them.

It seems that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport. This is a big problem, particularly when their are superior Android devices available like the Galaxy S7 Edge, the HTC10, and the iPhone7.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would be better, but I guess not.

It's sad; I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer younger consumers. Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry.
    10-30-16 09:49 AM
    The Pixel camera is good outside but inside it has is flaws, The pixel camera is sometimes also not always that sharp. The HTC 10 it's pictures with close up are maybe noisy comparing with the pixel but are sharped and more detail. The DTEK60 is a good camera outside but inside it has more noise then for example the iphone 7 plus and the pixel plus but it keeps some of sharpness. If you only printed out pcitures on a 10x15 cm photosheet you will see No difference between both. The BlackBerry DTEK50 is sometimes blurry and noisy inside and in the summer it looks all btter ,but know it gets darker the DTEK50 is worser then the Passport camera. Still what I saw from the DTEK60 is has some flaws, like the Pixel and the iphone 7 buy the sharpness of the pictures looks good
    10-30-16 10:32 AM
    The dx0mark score is out for the DTEK60 camera. Same score as Priv and iPhone 6s.

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/TCL-...s-nice-camera!
    Last edited by conite; 10-30-16 at 11:03 AM.
    10-30-16 10:45 AM
    A little Google helps

Link doesn't work; there is no review.

It appears that the DTEK60, despite 21MP and 8MP cameras, is actually worse than earlier models like the Priv and Passport.

I have had both the Passport SE and the Priv, and they both take great pictures with their rear-facing cameras, although their selfie cams are poor. I was hoping the DTEK60 would be better, but I guess not.

It's sad; sounds like the DTEK60 is an epic fail... I don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't understand that quality cameras are essential, particularly with newer younger consumers. Sounds like the DTEK60 is the nail in the coffin for BlackBerry. Very  sad.
    10-30-16 11:06 AM
    Link doesn't work; there is no review.
    Works now. CB app problem
    10-30-16 11:07 AM
    Works now. CB app problem
    Stupid exclamation mark in the URL doesn't help. #fail.
    10-30-16 11:10 AM
70 123