12-02-16 06:46 AM
168 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Strongly disagree.

Just went to europe with my priv and nearly all shots were fantastic.
    The Priv takes great pics!
    10-30-16 07:55 PM
    But a leading, exhaustive, technical review of the cameras gives the Priv, DTEK60, and the iPhone 6s the same rating. How does your anecdotal experience reconcile with that?
    The Priv takes great pics, and gets the same score as the DTEK60 and iPhone6; 82.

However, the HTC10, iPhone7, and Samsung S7 Edge now score between 86 and 88.
    10-30-16 07:58 PM

However, the HTC10, iPhone7, and Samsung S7 Edge now score between 86 and 88.
    Sure, but that has nothing to do with my question.
    10-30-16 08:10 PM
    But a leading, exhaustive, technical review of the cameras gives the Priv, DTEK60, and the iPhone 6s the same rating. How does your anecdotal experience reconcile with that?
    I trust my own experience but since we are talking about dxomark so much, look at the cons for the Priv and do not simply look at the whole number they give each phone at the end. They sound like a lot more trouble for someone who wants a shot that is consistent with what they see with their eye in terms of colour. Ringing and white balance look more irritating than slight yellow cast. 6S is rated better in color, auto focus and artifacts, all of which are important to me in being able to take a good picture quickly without any retakes. In my personal experience it never came across to me that the Priv was on the same level consistently as the 6S

I suggest observing the categorical breakdowns in specifically photography only.

https://www.dxomark.com/mobiles/blac...the-privileged
    Priv
    - Inconsistent white balance with yellow, pink, or blue cast in bright light
    - Strong ringing visible.
    - Noise level is high in bright light conditions compared to other smartphones
    https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Appl...ng-performance
    iPhone 6S
    - Some luminance noise visible, especially in low light.
    - Slightly yellow cast visible in outdoor conditions.
    - Occasional ghosting and other artifacts.
    buwee likes this.
    10-30-16 08:21 PM
    Have you made your decision yet?
    10-30-16 09:19 PM
    LOL...The verge is LITERALLY not a reliable source at all. Jesus...

The Verge's mobile reviewers are literally some of the worst, most ignorant, incompetent smartphone reviewers around. They even had a editor(former mobile show guy btw) who secretly worked for apple for 2months behind The Verges back. Awful tech site.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Agreed. Only people I'll watch is technobuffalo
    10-31-16 12:57 AM
    Have u tried any of the other camera options? For instance on the Passport, I never used auto focus, I used action because it didn't take forever to lock on.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-16 02:18 AM
    Maybe with all Updates since today the PRIVs dx0mark result will be higher than the dtek60.
    Playbooksters 60s Photos are great but in 99% i prefer PRIVs Photoquality
    Last edited by cuda01; 10-31-16 at 04:58 AM.
    10-31-16 04:23 AM
    Maybe with all Updates since today the PRIVs dx0mark result will be higher than the dtek60.
    Playbooksters 60s Photos are great but in 99% i prefer PRIVs Photoquality
    The Priv's camera just isn't as good as the DTEK's. Especially for macro shots. Dtek60 pictures are more detailed and have more accurate colours. Priv tended to oversaturate pictures to brighten them up, but in doing so some details are lost.
    tonythecanuck likes this.
    10-31-16 06:47 PM
    Signs of hardware weakness. Poor low light performance is very likely to be uncorrectable. Pixel size and f stop matter a lot here; high megapixels get you a nice detailed picture in good lighting only.
    Yep, almost any phone camera takes decent to great shots in daylight, even the Z10 LOL but when it comes to low light indoor pics, that's where the better phones shine.
    10-31-16 10:56 PM
    Yep, almost any phone camera takes decent to great shots in daylight, even the Z10 LOL but when it comes to low light indoor pics, that's where the better phones shine.
    That applies to all digital cameras, on a phone or not.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-01-16 07:11 AM
    That applies to all digital cameras, on a phone or not.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    So true
    11-01-16 02:53 PM
    It amuses me the way people go on and on about phone camera and photos. Professional photographers don't rely on their phones cos in truth,they won't do the job. Cameras on phones are meant to take decent and clear photos. Performance in low light is about the most important virtue of a phone camera. If you have a phone and you visit locations, or are on holiday or at an event and wanna capture something cool, most of these phones will do a good job, with the differences hardly spotted by the naked eyes except in extreme conditions. I'm so sure if we were to post an array of photos here without telling what devices were used to capture, you'd be amazed what some devices would do. People would post photos take. By BlackBerry phones and many would adore them and not even realise they were taken by BlackBerry devices (except the low light conditions and front facing cams which I believe have to be worked on)...if the DTEK60 or any BlackBerry devices take good low light photos and good photos from their front facing cameras, the rest of the whole argument is insignificant to me cos ive seen good shots by the passport and Priv and still don't understand what more do want from a phone camera....except I wanna go professional.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 02:59 AM
    It amuses me the way people go on and on about phone camera and photos. Professional photographers don't rely on their phones cos in truth,they won't do the job. Cameras on phones are meant to take decent and clear photos. Performance in low light is about the most important virtue of a phone camera. If you have a phone and you visit locations, or are on holiday or at an event and wanna capture something cool, most of these phones will do a good job, with the differences hardly spotted by the naked eyes except in extreme conditions. I'm so sure if we were to post an array of photos here without telling what devices were used to capture, you'd be amazed what some devices would do. People would post photos take. By BlackBerry phones and many would adore them and not even realise they were taken by BlackBerry devices (except the low light conditions and front facing cams which I believe have to be worked on)...if the DTEK60 or any BlackBerry devices take good low light photos and good photos from their front facing cameras, the rest of the whole argument is insignificant to me cos ive seen good shots by the passport and Priv and still don't understand what more do want from a phone camera....except I wanna go professional.

Posted via CB10
    I have had the Z30, the Passport SE, and the Priv. The Passport SE takes very good photos with the rear camera. The Priv's 18MP camera is excellent!! The 2MP front cameras on all BlackBerry's are poor, however.
    11-02-16 06:37 AM
    The Priv's camera just isn't as good as the DTEK's. Especially for macro shots. Dtek60 pictures are more detailed and have more accurate colours. Priv tended to oversaturate pictures to brighten them up, but in doing so some details are lost.
    Thanks for the review. I have the Priv, and it takes excellent pics, although I tend to agree with you that the photos appear a bit oversaturated in comparison to other similar cameras. Colours in photos taken by the Priv are vibrant.
    11-02-16 06:39 AM
    Just seen a blog where the pictures from the DTEK60 all look to either beat that of the Priv or are of the same quality. Like I said before, if one didn't know before hand what device was used, he'd have a more genuine judgement of the photos. For those who like to see a few more compared shots between the Priv and 60, here's a link: http://utbblogs.com/blackberry-priv-...#comment-25500

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor, 00stryder and vagos2006 like this.
    11-03-16 01:55 AM
    Just seen a blog where the pictures from the DTEK60 all look to either beat that of the Priv or are of the same quality. Like I said before, if one didn't know before hand what device was used, he'd have a more genuine judgement of the photos. For those who like to see a few more compared shots between the Priv and 60, here's a link: http://utbblogs.com/blackberry-priv-...#comment-25500

Posted via CB10
    Seems like they were able to get better pictures with the 60 compared to other people on this forum.

It's good to see those pictures because otherwise they looked disappointing. But the camera does seem to be better on that link.
    11-03-16 12:21 PM
    Just seen a blog where the pictures from the DTEK60 all look to either beat that of the Priv or are of the same quality. Like I said before, if one didn't know before hand what device was used, he'd have a more genuine judgement of the photos. For those who like to see a few more compared shots between the Priv and 60, here's a link: BlackBerry Priv vs BlackBerry DTEK60. Spec and Performance Comparison. - UTB Blogs

Posted via CB10
    Seems like they were able to get better pictures with the 60 compared to other people on this forum.

It's good to see those pictures because otherwise they looked disappointing. But the camera does seem to be better on that link.
    I took those pics, thanks for reading. I used the cameras with absolutely no modifications or filters/features applied. I love using the Priv PKB spacebar as the shutter, it just feels more stable to hold the phone/camera this way.
    11-03-16 02:04 PM

My thoughts exactly. I've just seen two other very good and encouraging reviews about the device today and think this device might just help BlackBerry....but that's also dependent on whether people are willing to try it

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 06:19 AM
    If camera is very important to you grab an s7 and forget about it.
    11-12-16 08:35 AM
    I never liked the quality of the Samsung Camera. They looked like they're colored in. I don't know how to explain it.
    11-12-16 04:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nice shots. Can't really tell the difference between the Priv and DTEK60 except for the last shot with the apples on the table. The DTEK60 looks better. The Priv looks over saturated, while the DTEK60 looks more natural and actually has better color reproduction. The red on the Apple looks way better on the DTEK60.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 04:32 PM
    Nice shots. Can't really tell the difference between the Priv and DTEK60 except for the last shot with the apples on the table. The DTEK60 looks better. The Priv looks over saturated, while the DTEK60 looks more natural and actually has better color reproduction. The red on the Apple looks way better on the DTEK60.

Posted via CB10
    I'm just glad we have a cam that's very decent at last. My sister has the Priv and I can tell it's not bad either but the selfish cam and the low light performance have been a put off for me. I struggle with video calls and despite not being a photo/camera person, I don't bother to try at nights cos I may have to try 4/5 times to get a single good shot. I still.need an extensive review on the DTEK60 camera performance in low light.....once confirmed decent enough, I don't think I'd have any worries

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 01:16 AM
    I never liked the quality of the Samsung Camera. They looked like they're colored in. I don't know how to explain it.
    I agree. The camera on the S7 is TOO oversaturated. It looks way too fake.

I like the Priv's saturation. It's not overdone.
    Egod101 likes this.
    11-13-16 02:21 AM
    I took a few shots at the finish line of a 5k I ran yesterday with the DTEK60.

It's impressive. The instant shutter release makes it easy to get exactly what you want, and in sufficient light the camera selects a high enough shutter speed to stop most action -- including a runner. It also nailed the focus, and color balance and saturation are spot-on.

The Priv had a tougher time getting these shots because the shutter release was slower. You had to lead it a bit. Not this one. That's what we were told to expect, and it's real.

I'd really, really like a raw mode (a switch to store *both* raw and JPEG so you can immediately use one, and post-process the other, hopefully in separate directories!) but the camera is extremely competent in "everyday" types of use, it beats the Priv IMHO due to the immediate shutter release and I can't argue with it otherwise.
    Egod101 likes this.
    11-13-16 09:18 AM
168 ... 23456 ...