Hello fellows,

I've been releasing a few BB DTEK50 & DTEK60 since a month now within our company and I've started receiving from 2 key users complains about the calls quality on DTEK60.

In both cases, when they have calls in 2-3 volume, they get a little but annoying vibrating paper sound. (like if it was on loud speaker but this loud speaker was cheap). This annoyance increases with volume and seems to appear quite often.

FYI, this issue happened on national and international carriers. Phones are set under 4G&3G&2G.

Does anyone of you had the same behavior?

Any comments are welcome.
    Thanks!
    Regards
    Poy
    11-22-16 09:09 AM
    I don't have that problem at all on either handset calls or speakerphone calls. You may have a bad speaker or two.
    Last edited by Centerman66; 11-22-16 at 10:13 AM.
    11-22-16 09:35 AM
    Sounds like you have a bad speaker in that device. No issue here and I take calls on the handset all the time.
    11-22-16 10:09 AM
    funny enough this morning i started noticing some muffling on calls and when playing music or a radio app over bluetooth it sounds slightly distorted. I never had that issue with my SE. Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue. I'll continue to monitor.
    11-22-16 10:32 AM
    I had some call quality issues, and returned my DTEK 60. I expect a replacement device tomorrow, so I can finish my trial.
    11-22-16 02:26 PM
    let us know if you 'hear' a difference...
    11-22-16 05:00 PM
    Now that is concerning, I was waiting for the experiences of the call quality and I must say I am now worried. I am considering this phone at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-16 01:19 AM
    Hi fellows,

thanks for your feedback. On my side, I've tried on an additional DTEK60 device, which is brand new and coming out of the box. And sadly, yes, I can hear a little muffling on each sentence of my phone recipient. It's very small but it's there and it wasn't on BB Classic's or Q10's.

I've the feeling this is kinda the same "noise" you may hear on VoIP desk phones. Still, I do wonder if there isn't a setting available to reduce it somehow.
    I'll keep investigating. Please don't hesitate to share your findings folks.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    poy
    11-23-16 02:42 AM
    Now that is concerning, I was waiting for the experiences of the call quality and I must say I am now worried. I am considering this phone at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Same here, I use my phone for work, I actually use my phone as a phone a lot, call quality is a most important aspect of a smartphone to me anyway. I know on my other work phone there was a setting called "HD Voice" and turning that off improved the call quality, but I think it's a Verizon thing, but I might be wrong, it's a Motorola phone. I don't know if it's a Motorola thing or a Verizon thing.
    11-23-16 06:15 AM
    I'm AT&T. Funny, last week in another thread I mentioned this and I basically got blown off.
    11-23-16 10:11 AM
    I'm AT&T. Funny, last week in another thread I mentioned this and I basically got blown off.
    Did you receive your replacement phone yet? Curious if this is a wide spread problem or just a few phones with the problem. My daughter has an Alcatel Idol 3 on cricket, and never has any call quality problems, I've been asking her to pay attention to calls on both sides the person on the other end and if she has any problems with muffled sound or hearing the other person. So far all her calls have been just fine.
    11-23-16 10:16 AM
    Comes today. Can't wait to try it.
    Did you receive your replacement phone yet? Curious if this is a wide spread problem or just a few phones with the problem. My daughter has an Alcatel Idol 3 on cricket, and never has any call quality problems, I've been asking her to pay attention to calls on both sides the person on the other end and if she has any problems with muffled sound or hearing the other person. So far all her calls have been just fine.
    11-23-16 10:37 AM
    Hi fellows,

thanks for your feedback. On my side, I've tried on an additional DTEK60 device, which is brand new and coming out of the box. And sadly, yes, I can hear a little muffling on each sentence of my phone recipient. It's very small but it's there and it wasn't on BB Classic's or Q10's.

I've the feeling this is kinda the same "noise" you may hear on VoIP desk phones. Still, I do wonder if there isn't a setting available to reduce it somehow.
    I'll keep investigating. Please don't hesitate to share your findings folks.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    poy
    have you try to turn wifi calling off ?
    11-23-16 04:03 PM
    Got my new DTEK Wednesday. Unfortunately, same problem for me. Could just be bad luck on my end as clearly not everyone is having this problem. I may try yet another or finish out my trial and move on.
    11-26-16 01:10 AM
    I am going back and forth between my old daily driver, a Nexus 6, and both the Pixel XL and DTEK60. When I ask the other parties, they consistently judge the Pixel XL and Nexus 6 to be dropping and mangling less words compared to the DTEK60. I am usually on speaker-phone, but these increased anomalies also occur with the phone in a car dock, right below my rear-view mirror, working through BT. I am on T-Mobile USA.

At the end of the day, I am returning the Pixel XL because I am unhappy with the display (too cold at ~7800K in regular mode and too muted in sRGB mode), and the DTEK60 will go back for these call quality issues. The DTEK60 would be the keeper otherwise. Too bad.
    12-01-16 07:15 PM
    That's it! I am not buying the phone anymore. I will await to see how the Mercury fares in that department. If it also fails then I will have to go look for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 08:38 PM
    Not sure if this will address your issues, but if you go into your call settings, calls > audio eq > treble boost.

That improved the sound for me, but not sure if it's the same things you are reporting. Have always changed this setting on the last three BlackBerry's I've owned.
    12-02-16 12:05 AM
    That's it! I am not buying the phone anymore. I will await to see how the Mercury fares in that department. If it also fails then I will have to go look for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    There are plenty of people who don't have calling issues, so if I were in your shoes, I am not sure I would be dissuaded from trying the device. I am having a really hard time packing it up in it's box and sending it back 'cause there is so much to like. On my desk the Pixel XL is already packed, but not the DTEK60. I am figuring they will make progress on fixing these with each monthly update....
    12-02-16 03:20 AM
    There are plenty of people who don't have calling issues, so if I were in your shoes, I am not sure I would be dissuaded from trying the device. I am having a really hard time packing it up in it's box and sending it back 'cause there is so much to like. On my desk the Pixel XL is already packed, but not the DTEK60. I am figuring they will make progress on fixing these with each monthly update....
    I'll be honest here, I really like the DTEK60 mainly because of what BlackBerry has done to Android. I am currently using my Q10 alongside the Samsung Galaxy S6 and I don't like Android, however, the BlackBerry's way of going about it makes me feel like I can fall in love with the OS.

As for the call quality, that is the one part of a phone I rate at the top of the list. The Q10 is brilliant in that regard, I have absolutely no issues on that .

I hope you are correct in that BlackBerry may be able to fix the issue with the 60, there is still time before the Mercury is released so who knows, maybe I may still get it then.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 09:48 AM
    It's weird how playing music is fine for me but calls make the speakers crackle and pop and muffled.
    12-02-16 11:03 AM
    MY calls while on speaker phone keep cutting when I'm driving. As soon as the car come to a stop on a red light or I park on the side road , no more cutting.. I live in area where coverage is excellent... I believe this to be hardware issue.
    12-02-16 08:14 PM
    It's weird how playing music is fine for me but calls make the speakers crackle and pop and muffled.
    I find the same music plays loud and clear but calls over mic and loudspeaker are very low not very clear. I have also found that watching certain videos or live TV the volume is very low

Hopefully fixed in a update!
    12-03-16 11:07 PM
    I searched about call quality because I have been finding it difficult to hear calls coming in from my wife's iphone while she's in the car. I'm hard of hearing (use a cochlear implant) so I can't really tell you what the problem is but I just notice that I'm having more difficulty than I believe I did with my previous BB phones. The call quality just sound choppy and fragmented. In fairness, calls coming from the car can be a challenge and it seems like other Android phones I've tried (Note7) also don't seem to sound as good as the Blackberry phones. I'm reluctant to return the phone as it's really good otherwise but I might try another just to be sure it's me and not the phone.
    12-07-16 07:03 PM
    I had some call quality issues, and returned my DTEK 60. I expect a replacement device tomorrow, so I can finish my trial.
    I'm on At&t call quality is wonderful...speaker phone works great....If I could type better on a touch screen this phone would be perfect
    12-07-16 07:05 PM
    Not saying this is definitely the problem..

I have had many phones with light crackle noise. Turns out I work construction and small metal filings enter the earpiece (as it is a magnet) and crackle in there. Typically a good smack will loosen the filings and it was suggested to use a magnet and smack it to help get them out. Typically works perfectly fine after this.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 09:51 PM
29 12