I don't want a trade-in I want my battery replaced! I like the DTEK!
    09-28-17 06:41 PM
    Mine has recently deteriorated as well. what a bummer. I like the phone but I get about 4 hours now.
    Since the last update? Or just slowly?
    09-28-17 08:58 PM
    Having the same draining issues...... I *think* it started with the June update, and had hoped the August update would help but it seems to be getting worse. I may try the factory reset as well. Other than that I love my DTEK and haven't had any other issues with it. Its still fast and over all I love it. I love the look, I love the BB enhanced features to Android....... I just want to stop the draining......
    09-28-17 09:07 PM
    can we just reload os with may update ?
    09-29-17 05:11 AM
    Capacity is capacity -- you can't help that with an OS reload.
    09-29-17 06:23 AM
    But I mean to say is it wasn't bad before June update and issue has started after June for many, including me. Then doesn't it sound like OS issue ? my estimated capacity on Accubattery says 2600 .. whatever but it didn't drop like 10 % overnight like it does now. It was hardly 2% before June update. I did factory reset once and it solved issue for 5 days lol.. now its back..
    09-29-17 07:16 AM
    2600 is within tolerance given (1) manufacturing tolerance and (2) a year of age. Use GSAM and other tools to figure out what's holding wakelocks and otherwise draining your power....
    09-29-17 07:39 AM
    Got my DTEK60 end of November, for the first six months would usually get 1-3% overnight battery drain. Now it's usually 1% an hour overnight. But I don't think general battery or performance has deteriorated, I'm often on track for 6-7 hours or more screen on time of mixed use over a day and never have to charge more than once a day.

The Guardian published a review of the new iPhone 8 and said -

“The iPhone 8s battery dropped by 15% while dormant for 8 hours overnight”

But praises the battery life of the phone.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...y7aarPgzCxTnXg

I've tried a couple of battery monitoring apps to identify the cause of the overnight activity but am no clearer on it. Not really an issue for me and if my routine was overnight changing I probably wouldn't have noticed. It was kind of reassuring to see the good idle battery time though.

Incidentally, the Guardian covers BlackBerry 's good financials and in typical Grauniad fashion illustrates it with a picture of the "key one" .
    09-29-17 11:48 AM
    Overnight drain doesn't tell you much; there are too many variables (what do you have running, are you on WiFi or cell, how strong is the signal, etc.)

Load up something that can measure actual capacity (that does so by integrating over time the charge / discharge rate; the raw data is reported by the OS's battery driver, and while it has a tolerance it's certainly accurate +/- a few percent.)

The original capacity was 3,000mah. Manufacturing tolerance is typically +/- 10% on these batteries, although some manufacturers will specify a tighter tolerance (e.g. +10/-5 or somesuch.) Normal wear should be expected to result in a 5-7% loss of capacity per year. So if you tolerance-stacked the "wrong" way, after a year you might be down ~15% from the original 3,000mah to ~2,600mah or thereabouts.

If you're reading well below that (e.g. 2,000mah) then the battery is defective. Typically as a user you will not notice impaired cycle life until you get into the realm of 20%, which the manufacturers know full well and which is also roughly what they expect to have happen in 2 years time, assuming one cycle per day (that is, you must charge once daily in order to meet your power requirements. One full discharge and charge is one cycle; if you charge twice at 50% capacity that's one cycle, etc.) This also assumes you charge until full; you do get some benefit from not doing that (e.g. stopping at 90%) but it's relatively minor in modern devices as they all taper the charge VERY severely in the last 10% or so (fast-charging that last 10% is quite harmful.)

The problem with ALL batteries is that they degrade over time, used or not, and they degrade with cycles as well. There's just no way around it; this is a function of chemistry (and one of its best friends, the law of entropy) -- and cannot be avoided.

It looks like there are some of these DTEKs that have batteries that were simply not up to snuff. So far it appears TCL is taking care of it; mine is with them right now and I'll report back what they do and how long it takes. I'm expecting them to replace the battery and return my phone to me given the conversation I had with them, but of course until it's back in my hands and they have honored the warranty (which should cover anyone with a DTEK60 today, since the period is 1 year) there is uncertainty.
    09-29-17 03:15 PM
    They are emailing me RMA label to return my phone. I tried posting using computer but it would not load my reply. Last AccuBattery reading was 929 mah
    09-29-17 06:53 PM
    My battery was poor since the August update. After the September update, I disabled the smart lock and my battery life improved from between 6-7 hrs per charge to over 12 hrs per charge
    rcab likes this.
    09-30-17 09:03 AM
    how do we contact TCL for a warranty issue?
    09-30-17 10:01 AM
    1-877-255-2377 is N.A. BlackBerry Support. the number at bottom of the CSR that I was corresponding with about my battery
    09-30-17 11:55 AM
    1-877-255-2377 is N.A. BlackBerry Support. the number at bottom of the CSR that I was corresponding with about my battery
    09-30-17 02:19 PM
    Thanks a bunch , same battery issue after a few factory resets
    09-30-17 02:20 PM
    Thanks a bunch , same battery issue after a few factory resets
    I only did one factory reset and then she had me run the battery test doing screen shot at 100 and 50 percent. Now waiting on the email to send it back for RMA. Good luck. Based on the number of people starting to have issues with the battery at this time, I am feeling that it is either something in the sofware that caused it or it is a battery life that only last less than a year. Someone like Tickerguy possibly would have better technical knowledge than I have
    09-30-17 03:48 PM
    Overnight drain doesn't tell you much; there are too many variables (what do you have running, are you on WiFi or cell, how strong is the signal, etc.)

Load up something that can measure actual capacity (that does so by integrating over time the charge / discharge rate; the raw data is reported by the OS's battery driver, and while it has a tolerance it's certainly accurate +/- a few percent.)

The original capacity was 3,000mah. Manufacturing tolerance is typically +/- 10% on these batteries, although some manufacturers will specify a tighter tolerance (e.g. +10/-5 or somesuch.) Normal wear should be expected to result in a 5-7% loss of capacity per year. So if you tolerance-stacked the "wrong" way, after a year you might be down ~15% from the original 3,000mah to ~2,600mah or thereabouts.

If you're reading well below that (e.g. 2,000mah) then the battery is defective. Typically as a user you will not notice impaired cycle life until you get into the realm of 20%, which the manufacturers know full well and which is also roughly what they expect to have happen in 2 years time, assuming one cycle per day (that is, you must charge once daily in order to meet your power requirements. One full discharge and charge is one cycle; if you charge twice at 50% capacity that's one cycle, etc.) This also assumes you charge until full; you do get some benefit from not doing that (e.g. stopping at 90%) but it's relatively minor in modern devices as they all taper the charge VERY severely in the last 10% or so (fast-charging that last 10% is quite harmful.)

The problem with ALL batteries is that they degrade over time, used or not, and they degrade with cycles as well. There's just no way around it; this is a function of chemistry (and one of its best friends, the law of entropy) -- and cannot be avoided.

It looks like there are some of these DTEKs that have batteries that were simply not up to snuff. So far it appears TCL is taking care of it; mine is with them right now and I'll report back what they do and how long it takes. I'm expecting them to replace the battery and return my phone to me given the conversation I had with them, but of course until it's back in my hands and they have honored the warranty (which should cover anyone with a DTEK60 today, since the period is 1 year) there is uncertainty.
    What have u heard from CB support?
    09-30-17 06:53 PM
    They have my device and I have not yet received either a shipping advisory on the return nor anything else. They DID say it will require 5-7 business days after receipt for them to turn it around, so they are not "overdue" yet.
    Froboy817 likes this.
    09-30-17 07:29 PM
    Update: Just got a UPS notification that a sig-required package is coming tomorrow from the same place that the phone was dispatched to, so I assume it's on the way back to me. No notification by email from them on the ticket as of yet, however.
    rcab likes this.
    10-01-17 08:47 AM
    Sadly I am now in the same situation; the battery life has grossly deteriorated just in the last couple of weeks, and I actually got a shutdown at 39% remaining (!) a couple of days ago while driving.....

Factory reset/reload did not help, and both Accubattery and a couple of other apps showed that capacity is down to right near 2,000mah. A couple of months ago I was well within the 10% tolerance from original capacity (~2,800), so yeah, it's dead Jim.

I've initiated an RMA....
    I am having this same experience. After 10 months of use, the phone battery lasts only two hours on a full charge. It then suddenly shuts down at 15% charge. Have already done a factory reset several times, deleting and reloading all apps and data each time, but it doesn't help. Battery no longer charges to 3000 mAh, and down to 200 mAh. Phone being returned as still under warranty. Time to give up on BlackBerry.
    10-01-17 09:05 PM
    my dtek60 is undoubtedly the device with the worst battery I have ever had. like several here, after 10 months, the battery loses 15% in a few minutes at the opening in the morning and must be recharged several times during the day. I wrote to BlackBerry for warranty and I have never had an answer. I may be trying to change the battery myself. found on Ebay ...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...sAAOSwuq9ZY4pD
    10-01-17 10:15 PM
    You're under warranty -- IMHO you're nuts to open the device, especially with the back being glass. The odds of destroying it are quite high.
    10-02-17 07:12 AM
    BTW a detailed look at the tracking data says that the return label to me was created on the 28th -- they got the device on the 26th. So they turned it in 2 days, plus return shipping time (due back to me by close of business today.)

I'd say that's pretty quick.....

I'll update here when I have it back with regard to what they did.
    10-02-17 08:51 AM
    Appears takes longer to create the RMA label than it takes to repair the phone. I am still waiting for the RMA email. I got notice on Sunday afternoon that it would come in the next 24/48 hours. Tickerguy maybe they are sending out Keyone phones as Conrite indicated some time ago that was a possible way to deal with returns and repairs. I think if I get the keyone instead of a battery I will sell the phone. I am concerned about them replacing the battery. It seems a lot of people are now dealing with battery issues. So if they replace the battery will we have the same problem in another 6-10 months?
    10-02-17 10:04 AM
    If they said you'll get an RMA label on Sunday then you should get the label email today. Watch for it and check your spam folder to make sure it doesn't get flagged since it has an attachment on it (the prepaid label.)

The odds of getting two bad batteries in a row are pretty close to zero.

I'll see what I get back this afternoon; while I reviewed a K1 a couple of months ago and do like the phone I will not be particularly happy if they swapped my DTEK60 for a K1 -- I like the power and responsiveness of the DTEK60 a *lot*. The problem I will have if they DID swap it for a K1 will be what to buy if I sell the K1 -- there's nothing else with the BlackBerry security profile on it (e.g. DTEK, etc) that is an option to use at present, the Krypton is an unknown time away from release, and besides, I have my DTEK60 case that I like a lot and would have to replace.

Assuming proper tools and equipment swapping the battery isn't very hard (if you have a controlled heating means softening the adhesive so you can remove the back without damage is easy, and the battery ITSELF is easily changed once you get the phone open) so it's my hope that was what they did.

We'll see.
    10-02-17 10:43 AM
178 12345 ...