I agree; my Dteck60 now only lasts three or four hours on a charge. Did the whole factory reset twice, but it doesn't help. Device is only ten months old, and already the battery has memory effect. Doesn’t charge properly and shuts down suddenly after only a few hours of use. never happened with my Torch 2 9810, my Z30, my Passport SE, nor my PRIV.
    09-24-17 06:32 PM
    Can you install AccuBattery app and check your estimated capacity. It's probably way below 3000 mAh. In my case it's 980 mAh. Once I get the new Pixel 2 in my hands I will RMA the DTEK and not going back.
    OK, installed AccuBattery. It initially said -137 mAh after a full charge when plugged in! Unplugged, it now reads 121 mAh!!

This battery must be defective.

Time to dump BlackBerry and switch to Samsung Galaxy or Pixel as you say.

Dtek60 memory management is also defective.

BlackBerry really is finished.

What do you mean by "RMA?"
    09-24-17 07:21 PM
    I agree; my Dteck60 now only lasts three or four hours on a charge. Did the whole factory reset twice, but it doesn't help. Device is only ten months old, and already the battery has memory effect. Doesn’t charge properly and shuts down suddenly after only a few hours of use. never happened with my Torch 2 9810, my Z30, my Passport SE, nor my PRIV.
    In theory, Li-Ion batteries don't have memory effect.

The most troublesome problems with modern batteries, causing it to loose capacity, are overheating and unregulated quick chargers
    09-24-17 10:30 PM
    OK, installed AccuBattery. It initially said -137 mAh after a full charge when plugged in! Unplugged, it now reads 121 mAh!!

Isn't this a warranty issue? Have u contacted BlackBerry?
    09-25-17 02:41 AM

I meant filling out an RMA form and have the device sent for warranty repair. Hopefully yours is covered as well.
    09-25-17 04:18 AM
    Sadly I am now in the same situation; the battery life has grossly deteriorated just in the last couple of weeks, and I actually got a shutdown at 39% remaining (!) a couple of days ago while driving.....

Factory reset/reload did not help, and both Accubattery and a couple of other apps showed that capacity is down to right near 2,000mah. A couple of months ago I was well within the 10% tolerance from original capacity (~2,800), so yeah, it's dead Jim.

I've initiated an RMA....
    09-25-17 05:09 PM
    AccuBattery shows my capacity to be 1292 mah. Since update I am finding the drainage increasing. I have deleted many apps trying to improve it. I will back up everything and do a factory reset
    09-27-17 01:41 PM
    AccuBattery shows my capacity to be 1292 mah. Since update I am finding the drainage increasing. I have deleted many apps trying to improve it. I will back up everything and do a factory reset
    1292 is WAY below rated (3000mah); LiIon batteries have a 10% tolerance, and at 20% loss from design capacity they're considered "unservicable." RMA the unit and get the battery replaced.
    09-27-17 02:00 PM
    I called BlackBerry and have to do some screenshots tomorrow and email back. They don't recognize AccuBattery data. One screen shot at 100%, then 50% and finally at 15%. Battery graph, apps and history. Then they will determine the next step
    09-27-17 04:51 PM
    I called BlackBerry and have to do some screenshots tomorrow and email back. They don't recognize AccuBattery data. One screen shot at 100%, then 50% and finally at 15%. Battery graph, apps and history. Then they will determine the next step
    Wow
    09-27-17 05:34 PM
    CSR said they don't rely on 3rd party apps. So I have to put on battery saver mode and take the screen shots as the battery decreases. AccuBattery now shows drop to 1247 mah .
    09-27-17 07:30 PM
    They gave me zero crap about it, and immediately issued an RMA once I explained that (1) I had the device shut down on me showing 39% remaining power, and when plugged in it showed 41% (!) while powered off, (2) that I had factory reset without improvement and (3) I had both calculated the charge rate x time + had third-party app data that showed battery capacity under 2,000mah.

They immediately issued me an RMA -- no argument, no BeeEss.
    09-27-17 07:50 PM
    The woman was nice and friendly, she said first we have to do these steps. Tucker guy did they replace your battery? if so how long of a turn around?
    09-27-17 08:53 PM
    Tickerguy, sorry, auto correct changed your name
    09-27-17 09:27 PM
    They gave me zero crap about it, and immediately issued an RMA once I explained that (1) I had the device shut down on me showing 39% remaining power, and when plugged in it showed 41% (!) while powered off, (2) that I had factory reset without improvement and (3) I had both calculated the charge rate x time + had third-party app data that showed battery capacity under 2,000mah.

They immediately issued me an RMA -- no argument, no BeeEss.
    Are they fixing your phone (new battery). Or sending you a K1?
    09-28-17 01:35 AM
    I have to send screen shots today showing battery at 100%, 50% and 15% before they determine if they do anything
    09-28-17 07:06 AM
    They did not specify, but I would expect them to replace the battery, since there's nothing else wrong with the phone. Batteries are pretty cheap all-in and I suspect they have a procedure and method to get the phones open to replace them with a reasonable amount of labor being expended, assuming they have the part.

The most-likely thing they'll actually do however rather than fix mine is to send me a refurb unit and then change the battery in mine and send it to someone else when they send THEIRS in. We'll see.... I'm not sure how I'll feel about it if they send me a K1; I tested one, but I really do like my DTEK60.
    09-28-17 07:08 AM
    I have to send screen shots today showing battery at 100%, 50% and 15% before they determine if they do anything
    Hmm, please let us know how it works out. Good luck..Peace...
    moonflyer likes this.
    09-28-17 07:12 AM
    They did not specify, but I would expect them to replace the battery, since there's nothing else wrong with the phone. Batteries are pretty cheap all-in and I suspect they have a procedure and method to get the phones open to replace them with a reasonable amount of labor being expended, assuming they have the part.

The most-likely thing they'll actually do however rather than fix mine is to send me a refurb unit and then change the battery in mine and send it to someone else when they send THEIRS in. We'll see.... I'm not sure how I'll feel about it if they send me a K1; I tested one, but I really do like my DTEK60.
    Man! Sorry to hear.. Does anyone know why there is NO ambassador, trusted member, or moderator, responding or giving input? Just curious, seems Dtek is truly abandonedto CB. Don't want to say to much or I might go the way of the Doe Doe myself.. Please keep us updated in your dealing with BB. Few days and Counting...
    09-28-17 07:18 AM
    Yeah, of course I got the usual spiel about "this assumes we don't determine it got wet, you damaged it, etc" thing. You have to "love" how the companies all do that. I understand why, but that "we reserve the right to find an 'out' on our warranty and not cover it" ALWAYS leaves a bad taste in your mouth since it's very, very difficult for you to challenge them when they have the device and in THIS case, in particular, it's REALLY tough since there's no user-visible liquid damage indicator in the phone.

With user-replaceable battery devices there usually IS a white strip in the battery compartment that turns red if it gets wet. There is usually at least one other near a likely entry point inside too (e.g. near the headphone or charging jack) but at least this way you have one YOU can see first. With a sealed device, nope. In my particular case I know it's never gotten wet and it has no physical damage at all (the phone's been cased since new and it's never been dropped and is working perfectly other than the battery issue) so I don't expect trouble, but that spiel always leaves a bad taste in your mouth anyway.

Unfortunately there are basically no options remaining for decent phones with user-replaceable batteries in the market. EVERYONE has gone to the "sealed" design, which IMHO just plain sucks since batteries are wear items and their *design life* is ~500 cycles. Get one that's on the shorter end of the tolerance stack and it'll fail in about a year, which is exactly what I had happen -- fortunately mine decided to do it BEFORE the warranty ran out.
    09-28-17 07:28 AM

Please keep us / me Updated as too what happens, thanks. Yeah there is a major differences between the two, most, or ALL do NOT want a keyboard and a little screen. Bought a brick for a reason! I'll follow to see how ur situation turns out. Man, where is the support Community on this issue @CB? Peace!
    09-28-17 07:29 AM
    I will say that in terms of holding up generally the DTEK60 has been very good; I've had zero trouble with the buttons or anything else on it; it's been my daily since release in late October last year.

One thing TCL (since they're doing them all now) should do is put in place a reasonable-cost option for out-of-warranty battery replacements that is handled on an expedited, no-questions basis. In other words fix nothing else, just replace the battery, give us a flat price with a prepaid label to get it there and a 2-3 business day turnaround.

If TCL can do that for a rational price (say $50 or $75 including shipping) it de-fangs the sealed battery issue. With the DTEKs and K1 there's no sealing problem since they're not IP-sealed devices, but for the upcoming Krypton that WILL be a factor as well since that unit is allegedly going to be water-resistant, so having a FACTORY AUTHORIZED option will be a big deal with that device, and it's always a good thing anyway.

This ought to be a simple thing for TCL to implement and they absolutely need to do it on a forward basis; it's the one missing thing from basically all of the current makers (other than Apple) that takes the sealed device paradigm out of the "disposable" category.
    09-28-17 07:50 AM
    I submitted the screen shots and then I was instructed to do factory reset and then install 2 apps every 2 hours . She implied we would do testing between installation period but I did not get any instructions about that. I wrote back and am waiting for her reply. After sending in the screen shots she said we would have to do factory reset process before issuing . Just got reply saying install 5 apps and then do the screen shot again at 100 percent and 50 percent and send to her.
    09-28-17 02:59 PM
    Mine has recently deteriorated as well. what a bummer. I like the phone but I get about 4 hours now.
    09-28-17 03:26 PM
    I really wish they would offer a trade in program for the Dtek users. I'll throw in a Priv!
    09-28-17 03:49 PM
178 1234 ...