10-15-16 09:35 PM
278 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Ideally, I would go for the mercury with hardened android and pkb,but who knows if that will be released? Probably not.

Passport!
    What do you know?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-03-16 07:10 PM
    Or make a BB10 phone, and pay me $199 to use it.
    Will never fly in India

10-03-16 07:40 PM
    Well seeing as I also work in this field, in fact what I do now is (among other things) write secured code (and unlike so many others despite enormous numbers of attempts none of it has been breached), my resume in this regard dates to the 1990s as the founder and CEO of one of the first firms to sell Internet access to the public (MCSNet in Chicago) and I've spent plenty of time trying to hack into the Priv, I think your "friends" are 100% wrong.

IHMO the BlackBerry Android architecture is superior to any other in the Android ecosystem I've found. It has remained secure despite my (many) attempts to break into it, the security releases beat everyone else (including Google's Nexus devices!), and DTEK in fact *IS* proactive (if used properly and under "M") along with being reactive. DTEK has caught two compromises on my Priv due to either bad installer code or malicious app attempts (from a big company no less) -- which is the case I'm not certain of, but that it flagged the event is fact.

Yes, "M" lets you control permissions. But without DTEK how do you know what permissions are being used and far more importantly when? Do I care if an app requests my location when I open it in order to perform a search or something similar? No, that's exactly what the permission should be used for and is perfectly fine.

On the other hand I care a great deal if that same app has detached a persistent process and is requesting my location every five minutes whether it is in use or not. That is an outrageously abusive practice in that the data collected must be presumed to be siphoned off by the app writer and sold. There are a lot of apps that do exactly that and without DTEK there is exactly zero way under Android "M" for you to know which is which, forcing you to turn off permissions for all apps since you cannot differentiate one from the other. Yet one set of behaviors is normal and perfectly acceptable while the other is a gross invasion of your privacy.

Likewise an app that requests microphone permission is not necessarily bad or good. If I use it to record a voice memo, use voice response or send a voice message it's good. If that same app opens my microphone when I'm not using it and starts recording my voice to spy on me and everyone around me it's bad! The ability to shut off the microphone is worthless without knowing whether the app is using the permission granted for permissible purposes or not.

Show me the means under base Android "M" to determine which is which on a real-time basis and be notified when a potentially bad access occurs and I'll agree with you -- but you can't, because such a facility does not exist -- unless you have a BlackBerry Android handset with DTEK.....
    Game set match

Posted via DTEK50
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-03-16 08:08 PM
    They could charge a $1and people would complain that the specs don't match an S7.
    My opinion is the price is right for the specs they are offering and the security.
    If you don't want or need the security save your money and buy another slab.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 and Adam Kowalczyk1 like this.
    10-03-16 08:30 PM
    Specs on DTEK60 are the same as S7 but it says Samsung on one of them .. Is that worth double the cost?

Posted via my DTEK50
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-03-16 08:41 PM
    Specs on DTEK60 are the same as S7 but it says Samsung on one of them .. Is that worth double the cost?

Posted via my DTEK50
    Apparently people don't feel "ripped off" because it says Samsung on it. And actually in my opinion, touchwiz blows and is also inferior.

Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    10-03-16 08:49 PM
    Sadly, this is true. I buy smartphones very often and Blackberry smartphone resale values are lower than most of android phones. Earlier this year I traded my Iphone 6S 64gb with Blackberry Priv and now Priv and resale value of Priv currently are between $200-$250 right now.
    Exactly! So I'm not going to be the chump when BlackBerry's just going to reduce the cost within four to five months anyway. At the end of the day they'll still be getting my money and I'll have new phone.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-03-16 08:52 PM
    I would even consider paying up to $500 USD. Anything higher is a BIG NONO for me.

Posted via CB10 on BBQ10
    10-03-16 09:16 PM
    I would even consider paying up to $500 USD. Anything higher is a BIG NONO for me.

Posted via CB10 on BBQ10
    Rumour has it is that it's $499 US. This price people are talking about is CAD.

10-03-16 09:24 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry's software, DTEK, HUB and Suite add ons are free. They come with a $1 per month subscription. That's why it's prices higher because of the security software pre-installed on the device, couple that with fast security patche updates, almost monthly from what I heard and that's why you pay a premium. You want to go Chinese OEM'S, go ahead. Your device will never see updates and your phone will be vulnerable along with bad customer service if your phone needs repair. Less headaches with BlackBerry, so people, including myself are willing to pay that $100 extra for peace of mind and fast updates.

Like they always say "You get what you pay for".

Posted via CB10
    Can you get DTEK on another Android? I do not believe BB is selling that item. It is what separates them from the other OEM phones.
    10-03-16 09:28 PM
    $499 at this spec level is quite reasonable.
    10-03-16 09:28 PM
    If $699 is the Canadian price then it is comparable to other phones with similar specs at least under my carrier Wind. It's funny cuz a lot of bashing comes from people trying to compare a phone coming from an established name to knockoff cr@p. Axon name comes into mind. I read Axon reviews and apparently it is just pure hype and more bad experiences than good. Give BB a break. At least their phones don't explode and they come with no bloatware. I am in on this one if it makes it to wind otherwise it will be a sony.
    U do realise TCL aka alcatel is one of those "Chinese " knockoff crap you're talking about right...?

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-03-16 09:43 PM
    They could charge a $1and people would complain that the specs don't match an S7.
    My opinion is the price is right for the specs they are offering and the security.
    If you don't want or need the security save your money and buy another slab.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody in reality actually wants/needs the security BlackBerry is spinning. They're all the same, if u get in trouble with the law BlackBerry (probably faster than most other companies) gonna hand over ur info. And like every other droid once u put a good password on it no average Joe gonna get into ur phone without wiping all the data.

Posted via CB10
    RobertP1, jermainewill and so crow like this.
    10-03-16 09:51 PM
    The price point for DTEk 60 is arguably reasonable and value for money IMO . The device comes with extra USP which is not found in other BBRY devices. I will not go for the device and am happy with my Priv extraordinary performance and the magical key board.
    10-04-16 02:17 AM
    Can you get DTEK on another Android? I do not believe BB is selling that item. It is what separates them from the other OEM phones.
    Yes you can their BlackBerry HUB + Suite software on other Android phones. I think its $1 per month. The only thing I was trying to say in my post is that BlackBerry updates every month for security patches and if an update were to come for Nougat you would get that too probably before Nexus devices got it. Most security patches were received by the Priv before even Nexus devices were getting them. That's fast and on the ball.

This is the difference between BlackBerry and Chinese OEM'S, speedy updates on a monthly basis. You an have a Chinese OEM phone with BlackBerry HUB + Suite But you won't get the monthly security patches that BlackBerry will be giving to their customers. This a big deal for me. You are left vulnerable if there is bug in the software that leaves you open to hacks. BlackBerry has you covered. This gives me a peace of mind and I don't kind paying more for that service. If you don't then buy your high spec'd Chinese OEM phone and don't expect to get updates for maybe the length that you have your phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 06:57 AM
    Ok great, awesome, so what amazing specs are available over and above what DTEK60 is offering, that would justify a $200 price hike? For either Galaxy S7 or iPhone 7?

Posted via CB10
    4G/LTE Speed:
    DTEK60> Cat6
    Galaxy S7> Cat9
    iPhone 7 Plus> Cat9

Dust & Water Resistance:
    DTEK60> None
    Galaxy S7> IP68
    iPhone 7 Plus> IP67

Screen:
    DTEK60> IPS LCD
    Galaxy S7> Super AMOLED
    iPhone 7 Plus> LED Backlit IPS LCD

Internal Storage:
    DTEK60> 32GB
    Galaxy S7> Upto 64GB
    iPhone 7 Plus> Upto 256GB

Camera:
    DTEK60> No expert reviews available yet, so can't comment
    Galaxy S7> Great specs, great reviews for images & video capture
    iPhone 7 Plus> Great specs, great reviews for images & video capture
    10-04-16 07:43 AM
    4G/LTE Speed:
    DTEK60> Cat6
    Galaxy S7> Cat9
    iPhone 7 Plus> Cat9

Dust & Water Resistance:
    DTEK60> None
    Galaxy S7> IP68
    iPhone 7 Plus> IP67

Screen:
    DTEK60> IPS LCD
    Galaxy S7> Super AMOLED

Internal Storage:
    DTEK60> 32GB
    Galaxy S7> Upto 64GB

Camera:
    None of this is confirmed and I like how you fail to mention the SD card memory availability on DTEK60 and S7. The only accuracy is the water and dust resistance comparison.
    Let's compare software like Hub, Keyboard, Security, Launcher, Customization capabilities..
    Is that not of value?

Posted via my DTEK50
    Randy Spear likes this.
    10-04-16 08:06 AM
    .. Edit: Double post
    10-04-16 08:08 AM
    No SD card slot, no sale for me. Doesn't matter what the other attributes are; I refuse to stick all my data in the cloud (there's plenty of it I want available when not connected to anything, such as my MUSIC!) and I also refuse to pay a 400% mark-up to stuff more NV into the phone itself.
    Pinot2015 likes this.
    10-04-16 10:15 AM
    True. But, in its current state of affairs, the price should top out at $549 . . . that is only if BlackBerry wants to reach a larger audience.
    10-04-16 10:24 AM
    Another mistake in pricing. Should be $399 tops.

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Why? I personally believe all smartphones are overpriced, but, being an American I can see many U.S. consumers finding a $499 price tag more desirable than not.

For $399 I'd buy two of them. For $499 I'd buy something else. The BlackBerry add-ons are available for free in the Google play store for any android phone. If Alcatel can sell the same phone for $399, so can blackberry.

So, you'd drop $798 for two even though you think one is not worth $499?

Man some of these people are delusional about pricing.

You want everything for nothing. 599CAD for a high end smartphones is a solid fair price. Don't be a lame cheap skate.

If it were BB10, these same yahoos would be soiling their britches and not thinking twice about the price.

I think $399 might be a sweet spot. $499 is doable but snapdragon 820 will be a year old CPU when dtek60 releases. LeTV leeco le max 2 is like $235 with snapdragon 820 cpu and they still make profit. oneplus is $399 and zmax pro 7 is also $399. I personally think that blackberry should aim for $399 because $499 would turn off a lot of consumers.
    Well, where can you get this LeTV/LeEco LeMax 2? By the way, LeTV LeMax? And some think Priv is a bad name.

OnePlus and the like are able to offer cheap handsets largely because they do direct sales. They also have better access to cheaper components, manufacturing, etc. I imagine this was a part of Chen's decision to outsource and go "regional".

Look, there are a lot of great handsets coming out of China these days, but unless you were a mobile nerd you would not have even heard of half of them. Americans don't care for stuff made in China as it is, even if it may be of the best. Huawei and ZTE were both considered junk phones for a really long time around here and for the most part still kind of are.

As to SD 820 being yesterday's news, that's ridiculous. If the 820 was the shtiz last year you can surely bet it is still the ****z today. Ten years from now you may likely call it garbage. Five years, maybe, but not today. Here's another way to look at it: do you honestly think that the best and newest chips coming to market will be lame one year later?

You see? $399 in. $499 out. That's what I'm talking about. Instead of trying to squeeze out a profit, how about BlackBerry tries to regain customers first with a good device like this phone, priced at $399. rebuild the brand.

Outside of perhaps maybe two handsets, BlackBerries have never been cheap even though they were mostly under spec'd. To add, up until Priv, the ecosystem historically was horrible.

Phone should have been 499. At most 550.

The 150 premium I can live with.
    Knowing the exact same phone is available from alcatel for 399 leaves me feeling a bit sour.

Who ever makes these prices for blackberry needs to be shot.
    They pricing this like it's in high demand.

Currently only samsung and apple have any right to price what ever they want.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    Then don't buy it. Problem solved. You are not entitled to this handset and no one is forcing you to buy it.

Actually, they are pricing it like it's in low demand. But wait a minute! Has BlackBerry released the actual MSRP yet?

I heard that material cost for iPhone is around $250. That's without software cost. I am not sure about DTEK60 though. Apple and Samsung probably have huge discounts for mass production. DTEK60 is using TCL reference model so it will probably cost less than Samsung or apple IMO. I don't think DTEK60 will use hogh quality material like apple or Samsung flagship models.
    teardown dot com places the iPhone 7 at ~$272 just for the parts. I have read reports that once R&D, salaries, etc. are factored in the price per iPhone is between $400 - $500/unit.

4G/LTE Speed:
    DTEK60> Cat6
    Galaxy S7> Cat9
    iPhone 7 Plus> Cat9

Dust & Water Resistance:
    DTEK60> None
    Galaxy S7> IP68
    iPhone 7 Plus> IP67

Screen:
    DTEK60> IPS LCD
    Galaxy S7> Super AMOLED

Internal Storage:
    DTEK60> 32GB
    Galaxy S7> Upto 64GB

Camera:
    DTEK 60: pre-order price (680$) on NCIX, ~$517 U.S., give or take, based on currency conversion.

The following prices are in U.S. dollars:

Samsung Galaxy S7: 32GB, $678,
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: 32GB, $792.
    iPhone 7: 32GB, $649; 128GB, $749; 256GB, $849.
    iPhone 7 Plus: 32GB, $769; 128GB, $869; 256GB, $969.

About water resistance: note, it's water resistance, not water proofing. IP stands for "ingress protection". The first number is for dust, the second is for water. So, the 6 for dust means that the devices have the tightest seal possible for dust particles. It's supposed to mean zero dust will enter, but if some amount does, it would not damage or interfere with the product. "Ingress" means something like "to enter".

With the GS7s IP68, 8 is the highest rating for water but the spec only defines the number as meaning the product can be submersed in water for longer than 1 minute. It is supposed to mean that the device is hermetically sealed, but the actual meaning can be whatever the OEM claims it to be as long as internals can remain dry for at least 1 minute and 1 second at what-ever depth.

iPhone 7s IP67, the 7 indicates the device is only protected against "damaging" water for an immersion period of up to 1 minute. I'm not impressed by some dork skateboarding through sprinklers or some guy cycling through a a thunderstorm.

Atmospheric pressure also plays a role, so I'd think twice before using either device as dive computer.
    Gallofa likes this.
    10-04-16 10:33 AM
    For $399 I'd buy two of them. For $499 I'd buy something else. The BlackBerry add-ons are available for free in the Google play store for any android phone. If Alcatel can sell the same phone for $399, so can blackberry.

This post makes no sense. Why would buy two of them at 399 and not 499??
    10-04-16 10:34 AM
    All good points brought up.iPhone 7 has up to 256 gB storage, but at what cost? S7 has the same, at what cost? Dtek 60 has SD card as well as the S7, so storage is really not an issue, and it does have that advantage over iPhone. Dtek will have same resolution as iPhone 7, yet iPhone 7 is far more expensive. Camera, yes, both the others have supposedly better cameras, but for anyone needed excellent photography, you should just go ahead and bring along a DSLR instead, but for everyday shots, yes they will be better.

Point is, for the specs you listed, and for the water 'resistence' of the other two flagships, not sure if the price hike would be worth it for everyone. DTEK60 is fast, has an excellent screen, has better speakers, has an antenna port (oops, too soon?), has excellent security built in as well as monthly security updates (proven unlike samsung or other OEMs), offers battery life on par with most other flagships, great camera.

If you're needing more than that, well, it wouldn't be the phone for you, but how many do?
    10-04-16 10:46 AM
    4G/LTE Speed:
    DTEK60> Cat6
    Galaxy S7> Cat9
    iPhone 7 Plus> Cat9

Dust & Water Resistance:
    DTEK60> None
    Galaxy S7> IP68
    iPhone 7 Plus> IP67

Screen:
    DTEK60> IPS LCD
    Galaxy S7> Super AMOLED

Internal Storage:
    DTEK60> 32GB
    Galaxy S7> Upto 64GB

Camera:
    The screen on the dtek60 is wrong! Its qhd amoled.

10-04-16 10:54 AM
    Note that I have some Ip68 connectors here that have survived immersion to 500' of depth -- while mated.

However,
    the spec does not promise that I will achieve that, and in fact neither will the manufacturer warrant against that, especially if the connector is manipulated (at all) while underwater.

Most so-called "waterproof" things require that the port covers and similar both be in-place and undamaged. The latter becomes a problem with phones almost-instantly because the seals are subject to damage and in fact GET damaged almost immediately with ordinary use and the port covers are either impossible or nearly so to replace. There are very few connectors that will survive uncovered and un-mated under any sort of ingress attempt for liquids; making connectors that will survive that is a non-trivial undertaking because the conductor has to pass through to the inside, and sealing those passages and contacts in a way that will not wick, breach or short (when not mated) is very, very difficult bordering on the impossible.

In short so-called "sealed" phones are useful to prevent damage if you get caught in a rainstorm or similar, but if you think they will reliably keep your device working if its immersed you're wrong. They might protect you and might not, but unless the manufacturer will warranty-replace a "drowned" device the so-called "resistance" is not worth the paper its printed on.
    10-04-16 10:59 AM
278 ... 34567 ...