Actually as of Today's exchange its $658. Electronics are always cheaper in the US, Canadian get raped big time because of the exchange. But I do agree that Blackberry should do something for the Canadians with the price of the DTEK60, it is after all a Canadian company.
    you mean tax free holiday?
    10-13-16 02:38 PM
    Not cheap when you're a Canadian. There's a thing called foreign currency exchange rates. BlackBerry sells it in USD because of critical mass. $499 becomes $620 CAD. Imagine how much it would drive away people in BlackBerry's home turf because it would pinch their wallets if they got one. Even one's responsible parents (who are the typical consumer) would cry "expensive". $500 CAD is borderline to a lot of people.

But that's just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    That's not really relevant considering every phone is priced in USD. IPhone may launch saying it's 749 but it's over a $1000 is Canada. So relative to other devices, Dtek60 is still priced reasonably.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-13-16 02:40 PM
    To be honest all of their phones have been overpriced since bb10. Sad but true.

"PKB"
    I agree except for 2 devices, the DTEK50 and the BlackBerry Z3. I think those 2 devices were priced the best for what they offered. (in My opinion)

Currently the Passport & BlackBerry Priv are at very attractive price points and are great value for money.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    10-13-16 02:49 PM
    you mean tax free holiday?
    not really, but they could offer a $50 discount for Canadians to offset the exchange rate a little.
    10-13-16 03:00 PM
    That's not really relevant considering every phone is priced in USD. IPhone may launch saying it's 749 but it's over a $1000 is Canada. So relative to other devices, Dtek60 is still priced reasonably.

Exactly, only compare those phones sold in your countries currency..
    DTEK60 is a steal spec vs spec plus the intangibles like security baked in and monthly security updates. Not to mention the best keyboard on the market. And free hub!

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-13-16 03:07 PM
    not really, but they could offer a $50 discount for Canadians to offset the exchange rate a little.
    Why? Exchange rate is supposed to normalise for buying power.
    10-13-16 03:11 PM
    and the fact that it was a 12 cylinder and a hog and competed directly with it's audi brand? why would they continue it or even produce it? they are competing with themselves.
    If I remember correctly they used a w12 engine. That same exact Volkswagen engine was used in Bentley cars.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 03:11 PM
    i would prefer a maple leaf branded case to appreciate BB origin. (only in canada.. like our diamond got laser engraved to differentiate the difference). if they don't do it now, better do it for the last BB10 handset.
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-13-16 03:14 PM
    I don't see this as being overpriced at all at $499 US based on the specs. It think it is right in the pocket and am comfortable at the price point. I am in Canada but I can't complain about what it will cost in Canada. Blackberry doesn't impact $ exchange rates.

My 14 year old daughter got her first phone in the summer and she chose an S7 edge which is obviously quite a bit more money for what I think is somewhat similar (except the edge). I've tried it and it is a nice phone considering I've never used anything but BB operating systems before. I will say she downloaded the Hub+services app and absolutely loves it. She is paying the $1 / month to keep using it. I also value the BB sauce added to stock android especially the virtual keyboard from BB. To me that is worth a little bit extra but to those who have never had the pleasure or using BB10 they probably wouldn't care.
    10-13-16 03:39 PM
    When I tell people I use a blackberry, they usually cringe AND VOMIT. No one really understands how damaged the BlackBerry name is to the general consumer. They literally puke when they hear the name. And nobody knows the new blackberry phones run android. WHICH IS WHY I CREATED THIS THREAD! Sell it for $399 and maybe, just maybe, some people other than the people on this site will buy it. At$499, it's DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Sadly most of those people never used a blackberry. Most people that have actually had a BlackBerry knows how well their phones were made and don't have the same reaction. Thought they still are too far gone to be sold on buying a blackberry even with android.

"PKB"
    10-13-16 04:01 PM
    If I remember correctly they used a w12 engine. That same exact Volkswagen engine was used in Bentley cars.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree they were competing with themselves. The CEO was so headstrong about having a "VW" car that could compete with other high ends. It was a nice though in the Americas people were like yeah I like my "VW" cars cheap not over 20000. Also the car sold well overseas and if I am not mistaken is still being sold and made and they do VERY well in China.

"PKB"
    10-13-16 04:05 PM
    When I tell people I use a blackberry, they usually cringe AND VOMIT. No one really understands how damaged the BlackBerry name is to the general consumer. They literally puke when they hear the name. And nobody knows the new blackberry phones run android. WHICH IS WHY I CREATED THIS THREAD! Sell it for $399 and maybe, just maybe, some people other than the people on this site will buy it. At$499, it's DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

No way, if it sell it for $399, we are going to see your friends cringe and vomit - contaminate the earth with all the virus, germs, ... better you don't get any blackberry device to save the excitement of their soul... keep it at least $499 so no youtube video show up such ugly image... may be $549, just make sure on the safe side (make sure it is dead cold so it can not arrive to your hands in order to protect your group of friends).
    10-14-16 08:58 AM
    I agree with the price when you compare it to the others, but now with people losing jobs here in Alberta Canada it would be nice like you said to have some incentives for us loyal BlackBerry Canadians. I have 8 BlackBerrys and no Job ,worked for a Company for 9 years and got laid off. Oh and Loyal to BlackBerry since Z10.

10-14-16 10:38 PM
    I tend to think that if BlackBerry for once marketed the DTEK line at a zero profit or slight loss price, it could get their image back on stage. A price at usd 499 is not bad. For Canadians listing the price at 699 is a patent ripoff, a clear sign they are making at least CAD 50 more from Canadians. This in itself shows the company's does not recognize the need to compete. If you don't treat your most loyal customers well, you will never do well.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 02:32 AM
    I tend to think that if BlackBerry for once marketed the DTEK line at a zero profit or slight loss price, it could get their image back on stage. A price at usd 499 is not bad. For Canadians listing the price at 699 is a patent ripoff, a clear sign they are making at least CAD 50 more from Canadians. This in itself shows the company's does not recognize the need to compete. If you don't treat your most loyal customers well, you will never do well.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. If you do the exchange from US to CAD It's actually $650. Why are they charging Canadians $50 more? Again BlackBerry screwing with the people that are the most loyal to the brand.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 07:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Zero profit and slight loss are not phrases investors want to hear. You put out products to make money, not lose it.

Rebuilding the name isn't going to happen. It's been dragged through the mud, spit and stepped on, and left to die a slow agonizing death. It sucks, but it's the truth.

I don't know how much the reference design and all the additions cost BlackBerry, but it's the price that they are going to charge. There are really only three options. Buy when it's released at the current price, wait for the price to drop drastically like all phones do, or don't buy it at all.

If you want the phone at 500, wait for the phone to get to that price to buy.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-16 10:20 AM
    Another mistake in pricing. Should be $399 tops.

Buy a dtek50

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 01:42 PM
    Considering that one can get a S7 edge for USD 80 more at BHPhoto, 499.- seems overpriced, specially with that 2 year old camera sensor and smaller battery. But then BlackBerry never got the camera right....
    10-15-16 05:04 PM
    Considering that one can get a S7 edge for USD 80 more at BHPhoto, 499.- seems overpriced, specially with that 2 year old camera sensor and smaller battery. But then BlackBerry never got the camera right....
    You have to also include the BlackBerry extras which include about $100 worth of hardening and apps.
    10-15-16 05:08 PM
    That doesn't seem to be the standard version of the S7 Edge. The normal version is $699 at regular price so it is $200 more, not $80, though it seems to be on sale at the moment.
    10-15-16 06:24 PM
    Also the s7 edge is a Samsung so erm it'll probably shatter if you give it the stink eye

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 06:42 PM
    Its the international dual sim version with a faster processor than the 820, but my point is that somebody looking for a new phone looks at all options, including normally expensive phones on sale and the s7 edge is being touted as the #1 phone.... Its all about competition....
    10-15-16 07:02 PM
    But consider BlackBerry Dtek60 #1 category and price range and most secure phone. You can't convince me otherwise. At least until next BlackBerry comes out. I'll keep buying till no more.
    #.000000000000000001 FAN

10-15-16 07:56 PM
    The international version might not have all the LTE bands... which would cripple it here.

10-15-16 08:13 PM
    Don't lie. The DTEK security app is something u look at once and say "great...it says excellent". Whatever that means.

Not really true in my case. I frequently use the DTEK app to change permissions in apps, it's the easiest way to do it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for DTEK50
    10-15-16 08:53 PM
278 ... 9101112