I would suggest the full thread misses the point that the greatest cost of a phone, is not the phone itself, but your plan with whichever carrier. Really, an extra $100 plus or minus versus how much you pay per month to your respective carrier who charges you way too much!! Focus people.
    10-07-16 12:32 AM
    I have been with one carrier for 9 years so I buy out my phones outright. Don't want to give up my plan. Had to go to the flagship carrier to buy the last 4 Backberry phones because they didn't offer them with my carrier. I have 7. I'm going to really miss seeing BlackBerry logo and name together on the front every time I use the phone. That sucks. I guess I'll have to make a screen saver .

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-16 01:07 AM
    I wonder how much it will cost blackberry to produce one. Apple iphone 7 cost about $230-$250 per unit. Since DTEK60 was manufactured by TCL, cost would be a lot cheaper right?
    The cost is based on BOM (bill of material - components cost) plus the MFG (manufacturing cost)... are you telling me TCL production cost is much lower than Foxconn? (well, they got 40,000 Foxbot now... ). How? by how much? as for BOM between the DTEK60 vs iphone 7, camera cost possibly higher than iphone 7, the rest of the spec a wash... it is all in the design... industry design plus the hardware/software integration ( chip too. not under control of the sammy or qualcomm - sammy made more money on chip that allow them to exploding more note 7 without burn the pocket... if you don't make chip - or control the chip, you are hardly get ahead of game).
    10-07-16 07:49 AM
    The cost is based on BOM (bill of material - components cost) plus the MFG (manufacturing cost)... are you telling me TCL production cost is much lower than Foxconn? (well, they got 40,000 Foxbot now... ). How? by how much? as for BOM between the DTEK60 vs iphone 7, camera cost possibly higher than iphone 7, the rest of the spec a wash... it is all in the design... industry design plus the hardware/software integration ( chip too. not under control of the sammy or qualcomm - sammy made more money on chip that allow them to exploding more note 7 without burn the pocket... if you don't make chip - or control the chip, you are hardly get ahead of game).
    This still misses costs per device for labour, marketing, retail, HQ jobs, research etc etc.
    What is true cost of each iPhone? It's over $500 USD for iPhone 7

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-07-16 08:17 AM
    This still misses costs per device for labour, marketing, retail, HQ jobs, research etc etc.

Posted via my DTEK50
    Research to remove headphone jack?

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2888
    10-07-16 09:44 AM

Posted via my DTEK50
    LOL, no.

10-07-16 10:15 AM
    LOL, no.

Before you LoL. Read this whole article.
    I understand the tear down cost to Apple but $260 per phone does not include all the variable costs which can double the actual cost per phone. Institutional investors look at both sides and total costs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/analy...profits-2014-9

Quote from article:
    "Remember, this is BEFORE all the other costs that Apple must bear, like sales and marketing, staff, and distribution costs. So these numbers are somewhat misleading. However, they are interesting because they show that regardless of how you calculate the two sets of manufacturing costs, Apple is going to make more money on iPhone 6 Plus -*simply because of its size*- than it will on iPhone 6."

Posted via my DTEK50
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 10-07-16 at 11:05 AM.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-07-16 10:51 AM
    LOL, no.

Blackberry does no marketing at all. They don't manufacture. So, why not $399???

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-16 10:57 AM
    Blackberry does no marketing at all. They don't manufacture. So, why not $399???

Price per device would be much higher as they would not get the volume discounts like Apple does

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-07-16 11:02 AM

Posted via my DTEK50
    MFG cost is including labour cost... markcom cost/HR are overhead cost. R&D cost are distributed cost based on platform... e.g. form factor of iphone didn't change that much, R&D cost on that would be minimum. The new technology introduction, such as wireless earbud, it would be distributed over the next few generation of the platform (however, would be wise to recover it ASAP, just in case the copy cat come along, you can dog fight with them at price level effectively). Those are determined at Corp strategic level (based on % of annual revenue... apple is not over spanding as yet... but fairly compare to the overhead... if you see someone spend more on overhead than R&D, you should run... - easy said than done... ). In addition, if the new technology can be used cross different product platform, you might end up R&D cost almost nothing...(that is possibly domed BB by sitting on the BBOS7 a bit too long just collecting nice profit).
    10-07-16 11:02 AM
    MFG cost is including labour cost... markcom cost/HR are overhead cost. R&D cost are distributed cost based on platform... e.g. form factor of iphone didn't change that much, R&D cost on that would be minimum. The new technology introduction, such as wireless earbud, it would be distributed over the next few generation of the platform (however, would be wise to recover it ASAP, just in case the copy cat come along, you can dog fight with them at price level effectively). Those are determined at Corp strategic level (based on % of annual revenue... apple is not over spanding as yet... but fairly compare to the overhead... if you see someone spend more on overhead than R&D, you should run... - easy said than done... ). In addition, if the new technology can be used cross different product platform, you might end up R&D cost almost nothing...(that is possibly domed BB by sitting on the BBOS7 a bit too long just collecting nice profit).
    Labour cost of manufacturing only though. Not the cost of labour to market etc the phone which is a variable cost. Big picture.

Regardless, Apple makes a ton of net profit off iPhone because they sell 10's , 100's of millions of them annually. IPhone is by far the majority of their revenues.

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-07-16 11:10 AM
    Labour cost of manufacturing only though. Not the cost of labour to market etc the phone which is a variable cost. Big picture.

Regardless, Apple makes a ton of net profit off iPhone because they sell 10's , 100's of millions of them annually. IPhone is by far the majority of their revenues.

Posted via my DTEK50
    at least apple is not sitting around wait for iphone market change... they are already looking ahead:
    "A single block of text, embedded as an image on the Orchard's webpage, reads:
    The moment is now. Throw everything you know out the window. All in. Head first. Join the Orchard. If you're lucky enough to make the cut, expect to surround yourself with like-minded souls who are as terrified and excited as you are. Be part of a hand-picked team with a plethora of talent. Kick *** together. Panic together. Grow together. Work alongside the brains of all the iconic work you love from Apple. Watch and learn. Trust your gut. Challenge our ways. Have an impact on everything you touch. Be prepared to stumble and fumble and embarrass yourself. It will be messy, and it won't be pretty at times, but if you stick together as a team, you'll build a special bond and something truly great will come out of it all. Take it from us. It's the only way. Does this whole proposal sound crazy to you? Good. We like crazy.

The text ends with an "Apply" link that leads to Apple's corporate Jobs at Apple webpage."
    if BB put something like that, count me in ;-).
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-07-16 11:43 AM
    well if there is a target market it remains to be seen. They don't have much "oomph" going for them right now - so pricing at the high end is certainly not going to do them any good
    10-07-16 02:37 PM
    at least apple is not sitting around wait for iphone market change... they are already looking ahead:
    "A single block of text, embedded as an image on the Orchard's webpage, reads:
    The moment is now. Throw everything you know out the window. All in. Head first. Join the Orchard. If you're lucky enough to make the cut, expect to surround yourself with like-minded souls who are as terrified and excited as you are. Be part of a hand-picked team with a plethora of talent. Kick *** together. Panic together. Grow together. Work alongside the brains of all the iconic work you love from Apple. Watch and learn. Trust your gut. Challenge our ways. Have an impact on everything you touch. Be prepared to stumble and fumble and embarrass yourself. It will be messy, and it won't be pretty at times, but if you stick together as a team, you'll build a special bond and something truly great will come out of it all. Take it from us. It's the only way. Does this whole proposal sound crazy to you? Good. We like crazy.

The text ends with an "Apply" link that leads to Apple's corporate Jobs at Apple webpage."
    if BB put something like that, count me in ;-).
    Blah blah blah.. they still pass off old tech as innovation all the time and people follow like lemmings.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-07-16 03:20 PM
    You people don't get it, the phone is worth $499 maybe more. The DTEK60 has not been released, so lets wait and see what the price is going to be. Secondly BB does not lose money on this deal, so if they sell 400,000 phones they make money if they sell 600,000 they make more money if they sell 300,000 they still make money so as far as you idiots are concerned they are not going to sell them at a loss other wise they will go out of business. So as some people have said if you can't afford this phone go somewhere else.
    10-07-16 07:52 PM
    You people don't get it, the phone is worth $499 maybe more. The DTEK60 has not been released, so lets wait and see what the price is going to be. Secondly BB does not lose money on this deal, so if they sell 400,000 phones they make money if they sell 600,000 they make more money if they sell 300,000 they still make money so as far as you idiots are concerned they are not going to sell them at a loss other wise they will go out of business. So as some people have said if you can't afford this phone go somewhere else.
    No one knows the actual prices yet. All speculation. Doesn't that make this post pointless?
    10-08-16 03:05 PM
    I meant thread not post. Sorry
    10-08-16 03:06 PM
    Erm, No.

The phone is worth what people are prepared to pay for it. It has no absolute "value".

And BB could easily lose money on this deal. They've paid TCL $x/unit to produce a bunch of phones. If not enough people are willing to pay the special sauce premium and buy something else, then BB will be stuck with unsold inventory that cost them $x per phone.
    10-08-16 04:36 PM
    Blah blah blah.. they still pass off old tech as innovation all the time and people follow like lemmings.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    not me. kept 9860 for its audio, playbook for its video chat (BB better learn the lesson from playbook... it is the start of downfall of BB IMHO), 9900 for its keyboard, z10 for 10.3.2 (if i had money, would be p9982..). If BB come out something with all of the above plus some critical app... would be a killer for sammy (rumor said ATT might halt the note7, not even swap due to latest exploded replace phone... cutting edge some times is a bleeding edge... proven tech in term of safety is suppose to be charished, push the boundary and know its limitation at same time should be the good mantal for designer... not break through to cause explosion for example). by the way, why you buy your phone? based on what new tech?
    Avenzuno likes this.
    10-08-16 07:17 PM

why you think TCL would allow BB to compete at same price range with their phone? what is the benefit to license BB logo?
    10-08-16 07:21 PM
    Love all my BlackBerry's, but there an awfully a lot of competition out there right now it's crazy. I will have to think a little more about buying anything else. (Using Priv right now)
    I don't that anyone mentioned anything about Asus Zen 3 compared to Dtek 50. Myself I am thinking of the bigger one. Zen 3 Deluxe is around the same price as the Dtek60 . Zen is bigger and has a lot more features, but do I need all the bells and whistles. To me all the phones are becoming to much generic. Look so much like each other . Blackberry should stay the course and keep the keyboard and make a statement be unique. Myself I don't want to be clone and be like everyone else.
    Right now I think I'll wait til' February when next BlackBerry comes out.

Some would argue that a smaller phone would actually be better. There aren't many choices for a near-flagship spec in a small package.

And on the topic of the Zenfone... let's say their build quality isn't exactly good.
    10-08-16 11:18 PM
    Some would argue that a smaller phone would actually be better. There aren't many choices for a near-flagship spec in a small package.

And on the topic of the Zenfone... let's say their build quality isn't exactly good.
    If we think that BlackBerry naming conventions are strange..... I looked up Zenphone3, and deluxe, etc.... There were a number of phones with different internals, all labeled Zenphone 3. It almost felt like bait and switch. 625, 820, 5.5, 5.2, ips, amoled. all in the same phone, or so it felt.
    10-09-16 01:54 AM
    Everybody that is saying it is too much is a cheap person. Sorry but It has to be said. It is a flagship device with very high specs and almost HALF the price of any other flagship out there. And for you to know, it is not pricing that will help BlackBerry but an actual great phone for once.

Flagship Bagship. Who said it is?
    No one has ANY idea what else is in the pipeline?
    10-09-16 08:32 AM
    Erm, No.

The phone is worth what people are prepared to pay for it. It has no absolute "value".

And BB could easily lose money on this deal. They've paid TCL $x/unit to produce a bunch of phones. If not enough people are willing to pay the special sauce premium and buy something else, then BB will be stuck with unsold inventory that cost them $x per phone.
    Naw. Then they have to cut the heck out of the price and the rest of us get it cheaper!
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-16 08:36 AM
    Given that the enterprise and government are Blackberry's target markets right now, and not consumer one, the price is right, because the DTEK60 is the company's flagship all-touch Android device. However, I would've liked to see the device come out of the gate at $449.00, "splitting the difference" so to speak. That said, I can see the price coming down $50-100 6-12 months after release.

Posted via CB10 on my  SQN100-2 Q10 | 10.2.2888 | VZW 4GLTE Network
    Last edited by Avenzuno; 10-09-16 at 07:26 PM.
    10-09-16 03:38 PM
278 ... 678910 ...