Another consideration is the warranty or replacement cost from the carrier warranty department. You can find plenty of returned Samsung and iPhones that they had to replace but not many if any BlackBerry Phones. So, I guess popularity does payoff.
    10-04-16 11:12 AM
    John Chen, what do you think?
    Dubbed �Green is Good,� the Taiwanese company is running a promotion this week and this week only, and if you�re an HTC fan, this may just be the best thing to ever happen. Perhaps the biggest steal is the HTC 10, the company�s very own flagship. HTC is now offering a $150 discount for any color and any carrier version of the HTC 10 � the final price comes out to be $549. Just as a quick refresher, the HTC 10 has a 5.2-inch Quad HD screen with a 12-megapixel low-light rear camera. The phone is powered by Snapdragon 820 and should last you a full day with its 3,000 mAh battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 12:01 PM
    Will keep my Z10, until it dies a natural death then buy what BlackBerry phone is available on the market,

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 12:08 PM
    $399 would be sweet and I am sure it will still be profitable. It will attract more consumers!
    10-04-16 12:51 PM
    No they aren't. The available apps would cost $24 for two years worth of subscription, but that doesn't get you the immediate security updates, the OS hardening, the swipe up gestures, the BlackBerry keyboard, productivity tab, DTEK software, or the BB10-style active frame screen.
    Let's not forget that DTEK 60 has 4 GB of RAM (not 3 as the alcatel version), 21 MP camera (not 16 as the alcatel version) and type c 1.0 reversible connector (not usb 2.0 as the alcatel version). This, together with what you mentioned, make one hell of a phone compared to the competition, not to mention that not all apps found on the BB android phones are available in the play store so I don't see what all the price fuss is about.
    Let's not forget that BB delivered the fastest security updates to date each month since they released the Priv.

It's funny to see that most ppl complain about the price in 2016 when you have a lot of offers, so bottom line is: if you don't want to spend w/e BB will ask for the phone than go to the competition and buy samsung, oneplus, meizu, htc, sony, lg or w/e brand you desire BUT at the end of the day don't ***** and complain about, lag, security, updates or exploding batteries
    10-04-16 01:09 PM
    John Chen, what do you think?
    Dubbed �Green is Good,� the Taiwanese company is running a promotion this week and this week only, and if you�re an HTC fan, this may just be the best thing to ever happen. Perhaps the biggest steal is the HTC 10, the company�s very own flagship. HTC is now offering a $150 discount for any color and any carrier version of the HTC 10 � the final price comes out to be $549. Just as a quick refresher, the HTC 10 has a 5.2-inch Quad HD screen with a 12-megapixel low-light rear camera. The phone is powered by Snapdragon 820 and should last you a full day with its 3,000 mAh battery.

Posted via CB10
    Thats $50 more than rumored US DTEK60 price, correct?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-04-16 01:17 PM
    Not sure Chuck Finley69. I have a LEAP and haven't even thought about either DTEK.
    10-04-16 01:32 PM
    You SERIOUSLY must be joking..... DTEK is a con. Google's Marshmallow allowed you to change app permissions. DTEK is redundant. In fact, seeing as I work in digital security - I asked a few of my colleagues what they think of DTEK. They'd never heard of it. When I showed them, they simply said: "what's the point?". Another claimed it was "almost bloatware". And how can I argue it isn't? Sure it'll tell you how many times your location was accessed but the fact is: it's useless now Marshmallow lets you control app perms. If Blackberry released this when Jellybean was out, it would have been sensational.
    If DTEK were an app by a random developer, people would be gobbling it up. Being informed about how often FaceBook checks your location is super cool and a kind of creepy. Can it tell you how often an app accesses your photo library?

DTEK has a place, but its place is user education! Its benefits to user security are marginal.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    10-04-16 01:48 PM
    If DTEK were an app by a random developer, people would be gobbling it up. Being informed about how often FaceBook checks your location is super cool and a kind of creepy. Can it tell you how often an app accesses your photo library?

DTEK has a place, but its place is user education! Its benefits to user security are marginal.

Posted via CB10
    DTEK is so useful.

I recently noticed that Waze was accessing my location even when the App was closed!!!

The only way I found out was through DTEK. Now I force close Waze to ensure it doesn't farm my data!!!

10-04-16 01:52 PM
    DTEK is so useful.

I recently noticed that Waze was accessing my location even when the App was closed!!!

The only way I found out was through DTEK. Now I force close Waze to ensure it doesn't farm my data!!!

I agree, seems super useful. You're being educated about the questionable practices of the apps on your handset, and you are acting in response to that information. It's valuable, and it is the kind of app that would hopefully lead to protest and a sea change in the way developers treat users. I doubt that will happen, but it's at least there to inform those who care.

I don't see how tech or security oriented folk could ever call that borderline bloatware.

Posted via CB10
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-04-16 01:57 PM
    Ideally, I would go for the mercury with hardened android and pkb,but who knows if that will be released? Probably not.
    This ^^^.
    10-04-16 02:03 PM

OnePlus and the like are able to offer cheap handsets largely because they do direct sales. They also have better access to cheaper components, manufacturing, etc. I imagine this was a part of Chen's decision to outsource and go "regional".

Look, there are a lot of great handsets coming out of China these days, but unless you were a mobile nerd you would not have even heard of half of them. Americans don't care for stuff made in China as it is, even if it may be of the best. Huawei and ZTE were both considered junk phones for a really long time around here and for the most part still kind of are.
    Again I say, the only thing not Chinese about the dtek60 is the name and os. There's no excuse to price it that high except BlackBerry still thinks it's name can command a premium. The dtek60 should have been $399 they've already streamlined the os implementation no need for a cash grab they should be concentrating on the "long game" get this into the maximum hands possible. Build a buzz for the BlackBerry name when consumers are more favorable to ur brand u hike the prices.
    If not not $399 then $450 max. Every android can get most of bb app free(with ads) BlackBerry should "reward " their fans who buy BlackBerry by getting all bb app cheaper than the other android devices.

Posted via CB10
    CranksterBB10 and krazyatom like this.
    10-05-16 07:19 AM
    ^ ok sorry that made me chuckle. You do know that almost all phones are made in Asia?

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-05-16 07:29 AM
    Again I say, the only thing not Chinese about the dtek60 is the name and os. There's no excuse to price it that high except BlackBerry still thinks it's name can command a premium. The dtek60 should have been $399 they've already streamlined the os implementation no need for a cash grab they should be concentrating on the "long game" get this into the maximum hands possible. Build a buzz for the BlackBerry name when consumers are more favorable to ur brand u hike the prices.
    If not not $399 then $450 max. Every android can get most of bb app free(with ads) BlackBerry should "reward " their fans who buy BlackBerry by getting all bb app cheaper than the other android devices.

Posted via CB10
    Amen! Only two people understood my original thread and argument. I want blackberry to sell 5 million dtek 60 phones. Not 600,000. Right now, the only people buying blackberry phones are the people on this website. That's not good enough. And at $499, expect very very few buyers of the dtek 60 besides the loyal blackberry fans. Should be $399. They'd sell millions at that price.

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-05-16 07:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    What is your issue about the phone being assembled in China? iPhone 7 and the new Pixel are a well. The Samsung S7 is half made in China.
    What's the issue? Name one phone manufactured in Europe, USA or Canada?
    BlackBerry needs to sell it at an amount to at least break even so I'm sure selling this high spec phone at $399 USD would mean taking a loss and parts, labour, support, online marketing, and all the costs getting the phone in your hands.
    It costs over $500 for an iPhone 7 to be made all-in so now you know the tight margins for Apple.

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-05-16 07:58 AM
    The screen on the dtek60 is wrong! Its qhd amoled.

It is mentioned as IPS LCD everywhere online, please share link if you see mention of AMOLED screen for DTEK60
    10-05-16 08:04 AM
    It is mentioned as IPS LCD everywhere online, please share link if you see mention of AMOLED screen for DTEK60
    The DTEK60 is the same as the TCL950 EXCEPT for the screen, which is from the Idol 4S.

http://m.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_4s-7896.php
    10-05-16 08:10 AM
    Why? I personally believe all smartphones are overpriced, but, being an American I can see many U.S. consumers finding a $499 price tag more desirable than not.

So, you'd drop $798 for two even though you think one is not worth $499?

If it were BB10, these same yahoos would be soiling their britches and not thinking twice about the price.

Well, where can you get this LeTV/LeEco LeMax 2? By the way, LeTV LeMax? And some think Priv is a bad name.

OnePlus and the like are able to offer cheap handsets largely because they do direct sales. They also have better access to cheaper components, manufacturing, etc. I imagine this was a part of Chen's decision to outsource and go "regional".

Look, there are a lot of great handsets coming out of China these days, but unless you were a mobile nerd you would not have even heard of half of them. Americans don't care for stuff made in China as it is, even if it may be of the best. Huawei and ZTE were both considered junk phones for a really long time around here and for the most part still kind of are.

As to SD 820 being yesterday's news, that's ridiculous. If the 820 was the shtiz last year you can surely bet it is still the ****z today. Ten years from now you may likely call it garbage. Five years, maybe, but not today. Here's another way to look at it: do you honestly think that the best and newest chips coming to market will be lame one year later?

Outside of perhaps maybe two handsets, BlackBerries have never been cheap even though they were mostly under spec'd. To add, up until Priv, the ecosystem historically was horrible.

Then don't buy it. Problem solved. You are not entitled to this handset and no one is forcing you to buy it.

Actually, they are pricing it like it's in low demand. But wait a minute! Has BlackBerry released the actual MSRP yet?

teardown dot com places the iPhone 7 at ~$272 just for the parts. I have read reports that once R&D, salaries, etc. are factored in the price per iPhone is between $400 - $500/unit.

DTEK 60: pre-order price (680$) on NCIX, ~$517 U.S., give or take, based on currency conversion.

The following prices are in U.S. dollars:

Samsung Galaxy S7: 32GB, $678,
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: 32GB, $792.
    iPhone 7: 32GB, $649; 128GB, $749; 256GB, $849.
    iPhone 7 Plus: 32GB, $769; 128GB, $869; 256GB, $969.

About water resistance: note, it's water resistance, not water proofing. IP stands for "ingress protection". The first number is for dust, the second is for water. So, the 6 for dust means that the devices have the tightest seal possible for dust particles. It's supposed to mean zero dust will enter, but if some amount does, it would not damage or interfere with the product. "Ingress" means something like "to enter".

With the GS7s IP68, 8 is the highest rating for water but the spec only defines the number as meaning the product can be submersed in water for longer than 1 minute. It is supposed to mean that the device is hermetically sealed, but the actual meaning can be whatever the OEM claims it to be as long as internals can remain dry for at least 1 minute and 1 second at what-ever depth.

iPhone 7s IP67, the 7 indicates the device is only protected against "damaging" water for an immersion period of up to 1 minute. I'm not impressed by some dork skateboarding through sprinklers or some guy cycling through a a thunderstorm.

Atmospheric pressure also plays a role, so I'd think twice before using either device as dive computer.
    The comparison I made were based on BBd00d's remarks about how Samsung's and Apple's flagships can be better than DTEK60 (BlackBerr's flagship device). I didn't mean to analyze deeply or dig-in so much into the specs, I gave these comparative better specs, I don't mean they are meeting your expectations, but the (S7 & iPhone7+) devices are comparably better because of these differences.
    10-05-16 08:13 AM
    The DTEK60 is the same as the TCL950 EXCEPT for the screen, which is from the Idol 4S.

alcatel Idol 4s - Full phone specifications
    Hmmm... I think Idol 4S had AMOLED screen and DTEK60 has IPS LCD screen.

Then, there are other many changes (upgrades) from Idol 4S to DTEK60
    LTE Bands are changed with speed improvements, Processor upgraded to SD 820, dimensions & looks seems same (back-panel shall be different), DTEK60 screen comes with scratch-resistance, RAM increased, Rear Camera module is upgraded, GPS includes GLONASS, Finger Print sensor included

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=7896
    10-05-16 08:26 AM
    Speculation. Lets wait for BlackBerry to announce. Should be soon.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-05-16 08:35 AM
    Hmmm... I think Idol 4S had AMOLED screen and DTEK60 has IPS LCD screen.

Then, there are other many changes (upgrades) from Idol 4S to DTEK60
    LTE Bands are changed with speed improvements, Processor upgraded to SD 820, dimensions & looks seems same (back-panel shall be different), DTEK60 screen comes with scratch-resistance, RAM increased, Rear Camera module is upgraded, GPS includes GLONASS, Finger Print sensor included

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=7896
    You didn't read my post. The dtek60 is the tcl950 with the idol 4S screen.
    10-05-16 08:43 AM
    Its better than $1500 cdn for an iPhone 7

Posted via CB10
    Not the same market, and it's not comparable. It's like saying that a fully loaded Toyota Corolla is better than an BMW
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-05-16 02:03 PM
    $399 would be sweet and I am sure it will still be profitable. It will attract more consumers!
    I'm not sure Blackberry is prepared to compete with OnePlus in Price. Worse... I don't know if Alcatel is happy bout that, I wouldn't be surprised if Blackberry couldn't sell any cheaper or even at the same price as the TCL950
    10-05-16 02:38 PM
    I'm not sure Blackberry is prepared to compete with OnePlus in Price. Worse... I don't know if Alcatel is happy bout that, I wouldn't be surprised if Blackberry couldn't sell any cheaper or even at the same price as the TCL950
    Obviously BlackBerry starts with the price of the TCL950. Then they add the cost of upgrading to the Idol 4S QHD screen. Then they add the cost of the BlackBerry hardening software. Then they add the cost of the BlackBerry HUB+ Suite. Then BlackBerry adds a small margin.
    10-05-16 02:48 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry starts with the price of the TCL950. Then they add the cost of upgrading to the Idol 4S QHD screen. Then they add the cost of the BlackBerry hardening software. Then they add the cost of the BlackBerry HUB+ Suite. Then BlackBerry adds a small margin.
    are there hardware differences other than the back plate between Dtek60 and TCL950? I thought they were the same
    10-05-16 02:52 PM
278 ... 45678 ...