A fool & their money are soon parted by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 01:38 PM
    If you already have DTEK50, it will offer same security. I think DTEK50 offers better value, if your main concern is security.
    Gallofa likes this.
    10-03-16 01:55 PM
    You SERIOUSLY must be joking..... DTEK is a con. Google's Marshmallow allowed you to change app permissions. DTEK is redundant. In fact, seeing as I work in digital security - I asked a few of my colleagues what they think of DTEK. They'd never heard of it. When I showed them, they simply said: "what's the point?". Another claimed it was "almost bloatware". And how can I argue it isn't? Sure it'll tell you how many times your location was accessed but the fact is: it's useless now Marshmallow lets you control app perms. If Blackberry released this when Jellybean was out, it would have been sensational.
    You can take the word bloatware away from Blackberry actually. It gives you the necessary which is something I love about BB. Second, no need to throw in here your resume. Security associate or not, I have heard that before. "you can do that already in Android bla bla bla". It probably needs alot of fiddling around to tweak it. If available like you say, I bet you DTek facilitates the process. Remember, not all of us are Security Experts like you.
    10-03-16 02:14 PM
    $500 is the fair price. For the Specs, for the Apps suite of security and everything else. $400 is unrealistic.
    10-03-16 02:38 PM
    The DTEK50 is a known, and well built product. I have several. DTEK60 is just a better version. I would buy it sight unseen.
    not fan of the dtek 50 industry design... looking for feel rich one.. metallic color, glassy feel (even as plastic material) and a bit of "manly" color (like piano black, navy blue, honey yellow with black inlay or dark grey with mat finishing - like p9982)... not necessary animal skin backing, but "feel" durable and substantial (holding better, not like a man walking chihuahua, but a german shephard kind of feeling). it better be stand out compare to the other droid.
    10-03-16 02:44 PM
    You SERIOUSLY must be joking..... DTEK is a con. Google's Marshmallow allowed you to change app permissions. DTEK is redundant. In fact, seeing as I work in digital security - I asked a few of my colleagues what they think of DTEK. They'd never heard of it. When I showed them, they simply said: "what's the point?". Another claimed it was "almost bloatware". And how can I argue it isn't? Sure it'll tell you how many times your location was accessed but the fact is: it's useless now Marshmallow lets you control app perms. If Blackberry released this when Jellybean was out, it would have been sensational.
    Well seeing as I also work in this field, in fact what I do now is (among other things) write secured code (and unlike so many others despite enormous numbers of attempts none of it has been breached), my resume in this regard dates to the 1990s as the founder and CEO of one of the first firms to sell Internet access to the public (MCSNet in Chicago) and I've spent plenty of time trying to hack into the Priv, I think your "friends" are 100% wrong.

IHMO the BlackBerry Android architecture is superior to any other in the Android ecosystem I've found. It has remained secure despite my (many) attempts to break into it, the security releases beat everyone else (including Google's Nexus devices!), and DTEK in fact *IS* proactive (if used properly and under "M") along with being reactive. DTEK has caught two compromises on my Priv due to either bad installer code or malicious app attempts (from a big company no less) -- which is the case I'm not certain of, but that it flagged the event is fact.

Yes, "M" lets you control permissions. But without DTEK how do you know what permissions are being used and far more importantly when? Do I care if an app requests my location when I open it in order to perform a search or something similar? No, that's exactly what the permission should be used for and is perfectly fine.

On the other hand I care a great deal if that same app has detached a persistent process and is requesting my location every five minutes whether it is in use or not. That is an outrageously abusive practice in that the data collected must be presumed to be siphoned off by the app writer and sold. There are a lot of apps that do exactly that and without DTEK there is exactly zero way under Android "M" for you to know which is which, forcing you to turn off permissions for all apps since you cannot differentiate one from the other. Yet one set of behaviors is normal and perfectly acceptable while the other is a gross invasion of your privacy.

Likewise an app that requests microphone permission is not necessarily bad or good. If I use it to record a voice memo, use voice response or send a voice message it's good. If that same app opens my microphone when I'm not using it and starts recording my voice to spy on me and everyone around me it's bad! The ability to shut off the microphone is worthless without knowing whether the app is using the permission granted for permissible purposes or not.

Show me the means under base Android "M" to determine which is which on a real-time basis and be notified when a potentially bad access occurs and I'll agree with you -- but you can't, because such a facility does not exist -- unless you have a BlackBerry Android handset with DTEK.....
    10-03-16 02:59 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Excellent!

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-03-16 03:05 PM
    Its better than $1500 cdn for an iPhone 7

Posted via CB10
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    10-03-16 03:14 PM
    Another wrong price.

It should be 1000$ USD.

After all its BlackBerry running the most secure Android
    (500$ for Design another 500$ for BlackBerry Security) nothing less then 1000$ wouldn't fair enough.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 03:14 PM
    Well seeing as I also work in this field, in fact what I do now is (among other things) write secured code (and unlike so many others despite enormous numbers of attempts none of it has been breached), my resume in this regard dates to the 1990s as the founder and CEO of one of the first firms to sell Internet access to the public (MCSNet in Chicago) and I've spent plenty of time trying to hack into the Priv, I think your "friends" are 100% wrong.

IHMO the BlackBerry Android architecture is superior to any other in the Android ecosystem I've found. It has remained secure despite my (many) attempts to break into it, the security releases beat everyone else (including Google's Nexus devices!), and DTEK in fact *IS* proactive (if used properly and under "M") along with being reactive. DTEK has caught two compromises on my Priv due to either bad installer code or malicious app attempts (from a big company no less) -- which is the case I'm not certain of, but that it flagged the event is fact.

Yes, "M" lets you control permissions. But without DTEK how do you know what permissions are being used and far more importantly when? Do I care if an app requests my location when I open it in order to perform a search or something similar? No, that's exactly what the permission should be used for and is perfectly fine.

On the other hand I care a great deal if that same app has detached a persistent process and is requesting my location every five minutes whether it is in use or not. That is an outrageously abusive practice in that the data collected must be presumed to be siphoned off by the app writer and sold. There are a lot of apps that do exactly that and without DTEK there is exactly zero way under Android "M" for you to know which is which, forcing you to turn off permissions for all apps since you cannot differentiate one from the other. Yet one set of behaviors is normal and perfectly acceptable while the other is a gross invasion of your privacy.

Likewise an app that requests microphone permission is not necessarily bad or good. If I use it to record a voice memo, use voice response or send a voice message it's good. If that same app opens my microphone when I'm not using it and starts recording my voice to spy on me and everyone around me it's bad! The ability to shut off the microphone is worthless without knowing whether the app is using the permission granted for permissible purposes or not.

Show me the means under base Android "M" to determine which is which on a real-time basis and be notified when a potentially bad access occurs and I'll agree with you -- but you can't, because such a facility does not exist -- unless you have a BlackBerry Android handset with DTEK.....
    Perfect response. In fact what the poster who claims it's useless doesn't realize is not only does it tell you when you location was accessed for example, it even tells you where you were at the time of you would like to know that.
    All i know is if was in the market for a security firm/help, i wouldn't be hiring him and his friends if they can't even distinguish between a useful app and bloatware.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Jrox74 and zephyr613 like this.
    10-03-16 03:25 PM
    Tickerguy, good post.

I have a Question then. Which of the three BlackBerry android phone should a casual user such as myself purchase? I don't care for games. So priv or 50 or 60?

I have a passport for regular Usages.

I'm thinking maybe 60, but it has to be released first.

Passport!
    10-03-16 03:28 PM
    Tickerguy, good post.

I have a Question then. Which of the three BlackBerry android phone should a casual user such as myself purchase? I don't care for games. So priv or 50 or 60?

Passport!
    Tickerguy is more versed in the security area but i would assume when it comes to the security aspect, they are all the same. You would just have to decide between cost and form factor etc.

10-03-16 03:29 PM
    Tickerguy, good post.

Passport!
    They are all equal from a security and OS standpoint.

Priv for keyboard.

DTEK60 for high end slab.

DTEK50 for mid-range slab, with more than adequate performance.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-03-16 03:38 PM
    I thought this phone is supposed to be a high end phone. People are paying $899 for water resistant iPods! And Dtek 60 comes with head phones & lots of Apps with everything secured! Now tell me if you are paying too much for this phones.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-03-16 03:39 PM
    I thought this phone is supposed to be a high end phone. People are paying $899 for water resistant iPods! And Dtek 60 comes with head phones & lots of Apps with everything secured! Now tell me if you are paying too much for this phones.
    Like i mentioned earlier, because of the Apple name, people are okay with getting bent over for lower spec devices then the Dtek60. People's expectation of BlackBerry are unreasonable.

10-03-16 03:41 PM
    Very unreasonable I agree with the above posters that say it's quite crazy to pay all that much for a BlackBerry... It's not even that appealing to pull out hundreds like that to spend on it lmfao... come on I mean let's get real for a second here... with that price tag you can buy almost any flagship device today!! I would get a priv and Dtek50 before getting a dtek60 lol. There's to much at stake here and it's very clear... I recommend and suggest that no one buy the device unless you must really have it and know that you can truly enjoy it even though it costed you an arm and a leg. Crime if I've ever seen it lol. Then again, yes there are many devices that are more expensive and people pay for them but that's entirely up to you and how much you can blow. I just speak for myself.
    10-03-16 03:45 PM
    I would as well. Just a question though. Why have several? Do you have them for personal reasons or do you deploy them within a company?
    10-03-16 04:12 PM
    Tickerguy, good post.

Passport!
    It makes utterly no difference in terms of security. Buy what fits your usage profile; the DTEK50 has less CPU and RAM capacity, the Priv is in the middle, and the DTEK60 will be on top, if that's the parameter you care about.

If the Selfie Cam is the big deal then you don't want the Priv. It has a poor front-facing camera, but an excellent rear-facing one. I rarely care about selfies, but do care about the primary (rear) camera.

If the PKB is important then you have only one choice.

In other words buy based on feature set and your intended use. In terms of OS hardening and such they're identical.

I will likely get a DTEK60 simply because while I have a Priv (1) my kid needs a phone and she'd like it, having played with it and (2) I actually find myself rarely using the PKB, so its inclusion doesn't sway the equation for me. I'm on the fence only because it appears I lose both the RGB LED notification for a red-only LED and I also lose wireless charge, which I like a great deal.
    Jrox74, bluetroll and jakie55 like this.
    10-03-16 04:27 PM
    Tickerguy, good post.

Passport!
    Depends if you want to keep the keyboard

10-03-16 04:34 PM

Well said!! Thanks

10-03-16 04:40 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry's software, DTEK, HUB and Suite add ons are free. They come with a $1 per month subscription. That's why it's prices higher because of the security software pre-installed on the device, couple that with fast security patche updates, almost monthly from what I heard and that's why you pay a premium. You want to go Chinese OEM'S, go ahead. Your device will never see updates and your phone will be vulnerable along with bad customer service if your phone needs repair. Less headaches with BlackBerry, so people, including myself are willing to pay that $100 extra for peace of mind and fast updates.

Like they always say "You get what you pay for".

Posted via CB10
    This is the proper answer.

If they put a $399 price and the charge all the extra $'s then people would still complain.
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    10-03-16 04:48 PM
    The DTEK50 is a known, and well built product. I have several. DTEK60 is just a better version. I would buy it sight unseen.
    100% agree.

10-03-16 05:45 PM
    Ideally, I would go for the mercury with hardened android and pkb,but who knows if that will be released? Probably not.

Passport!
    10-03-16 05:49 PM
    Hey John Chen, make it a $199 phone and make everyone happy here
    10-03-16 06:09 PM
    Hey John Chen, make it a $199 phone and make everyone happy here
    Or make a BB10 phone, and pay me $199 to use it.
    10-03-16 07:01 PM
278 ... 23456 ...