The target market doesn't exist.
    Sure it does, theres at least 7 just in the US of A.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 07:36 AM
    How can you say that! The target market is the same as the DTEK50's...

Oh, wait... The DTEK50 bombed didn't it...

Carry on!
    The $299 price point is not the same customer as the $499.. Two totally different customers
    10-03-16 07:36 AM
    No they aren't. The available apps would cost $24 for two years worth of subscription, but that doesn't get you the immediate security updates, the OS hardening, the swipe up gestures, the BlackBerry keyboard, productivity tab, DTEK software, or the BB10-style active frame screen.
    Swipe up gestures?
    Are you talking about the pop up widgets?
    Because Blackberry simply copied that from another launcher.

Also all those extras may actually hinder sales as these days people prefer more stock like experiences.
    Not including the immediate updates there obviously
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-03-16 07:38 AM
    How can you say that! The target market is the same as the DTEK50's...

Oh, wait... The DTEK50 bombed didn't it...

Carry on!
    Did it? How do you know that? Maybe just sarcasm on your part that I'm missing.
    It was only out for 3-4 weeks prior to their posted quarterly numbers announced on Sept 28th.

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-03-16 07:38 AM
    The $299 price point is not the same customer as the $499.. Two totally different customers
    Nope. It's targeting the same security-obsessed buyers willing to pay $x00 extra for the BB special sauce.

The overwhelming majority of Android buyers don't care (enough) about security and will buy something else.
    Gajja likes this.
    10-03-16 07:43 AM
    For $399 I'd buy two of them. For $499 I'd buy something else. The BlackBerry add-ons are available for free in the Google play store for any android phone. If Alcatel can sell the same phone for $399, so can blackberry.

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Is the injected BlackBerry security available on Google Play? Hmm...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-03-16 07:43 AM
    It was only out for 3-4 weeks prior to their posted quarterly numbers announced on Sept 28th.

Posted via my DTEK50
    I was questioning where he got the Dtek 50 numbers also.. I also assumed sarcasm
    10-03-16 07:46 AM

Posted via my DTEK50
    Remind me. That was the date when John Chen announced that BB is out of Hardware wasn't it?

Yeah, you're right, I don't know how many DTEK50's were sold. John Chen knows though... and it clearly isn't enough.
    10-03-16 07:50 AM
    Nope. It's targeting the same security-obsessed buyers willing to pay $x00 extra for the BB special sauce.

The overwhelming majority of Android buyers don't care (enough) about security and will buy something else.
    But then according to these forums the overwhelming majority of phone buyers do not understand what a proper smartphone should be, and that their Passport is the best phone ever and BB10 over any Crapdroid.

Which I don't understand why you feel the need you need to argue with these people.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 07:54 AM
    Don't lie. The DTEK security app is something u look at once and say "great...it says excellent". Whatever that means.

via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Maybe when it ran on lollipop it was like that, but now it's on marshmallow it's about app permissions etc.
    10-03-16 08:00 AM
    But then according to these forums the overwhelming majority of phone buyers do not understand what a proper smartphone should be, and that their Passport is the best phone ever and BB10 over any Crapdroid.

Which I don't understand why you feel the need you need to argue with these people.
    The importance of Truth, justice etc?

The giggles...

Sometimes I'm not sure myself.

You forgot to mention the iSheep and the silly home button.
    10-03-16 08:02 AM
    The importance of Truth, justice etc?

The giggles...

Sometimes I'm not sure myself.

You forgot to mention the iSheep and the silly home button.
    So you're saying you're an SJW. Smartphone Justice Warrior that is.
    10-03-16 08:04 AM
    So you're saying you're an SJW. Smartphone Justice Warrior that is.
    Check my avatar.

If he isn't a warrior, who is...?
    10-03-16 08:05 AM

Any thoughts of enterprise End-To-End buyers jumping on the BlackBerry DTEK... have been thrown out the door.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 08:16 AM
    Sure it does!
    The " Target Market" is those who are willing to pay for overpriced goods or services.
    PT Barnum said it best, " a sucker is born every minute".
    10-03-16 08:20 AM
    Any thoughts of enterprise End-To-End buyers jumping on the BlackBerry DTEK... have been thrown out the door.
    Indeed. If the fleet buyers weren't willing to pay for the DTEK50, why would they spoil their staff by giving them a more expensive version?

SJW
    10-03-16 08:20 AM
    Indeed. If the fleet buyers weren't willing to pay for the DTEK50, why would they spoil their staff by giving them a more expensive version?

SJW
    I've always questioned why would enterprise invest in yet another BlackBerry platform, when the CEO was not sure if they would stick with it. Now that the CEO has said they are getting out of hardware, and so far don't have any partners on board in North America.

I feel sorry for those IT professionals that did buy into the PRIV and future Android solutions... Thankfully there shouldn't be too much of an issue going full Android... if that's really a better solution than iOS.
    10-03-16 09:13 AM
    I've always questioned why would enterprise invest in yet another BlackBerry platform, when the CEO was not sure if they would stick with it. Now that the CEO has said they are getting out of hardware, and so far don't have any partners on board in North America.

I feel sorry for those IT professionals that did buy into the PRIV and future Android solutions... Thankfully there shouldn't be too much of an issue going full Android... if that's really a better solution than iOS.
    I don't think there would be a huge issue, I rarely hear about BES these days. It's always Good EMM, which is cross platform. And I don't think anyone actually "invested" in a Priv, corporates does exactly what consumers do, they sign contracts to get phones from carriers, then just install Good on it. So Priv or not it ran the same.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-03-16 09:16 AM
    Do you really think just because DTEK60 is flagship for now, can be compared to Galaxy S7 or iPhone 7? IMO, those two pack-in much more quality, features and specifications than DTEK60 and are still not bad at the current price-point.
    Ok great, awesome, so what amazing specs are available over and above what DTEK60 is offering, that would justify a $200 price hike? For either Galaxy S7 or iPhone 7?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 10:33 AM
    I don't think there would be a huge issue, I rarely hear about BES these days. It's always Good EMM, which is cross platform. And I don't think anyone actually "invested" in a Priv, corporates does exactly what consumers do, they sign contracts to get phones from carriers, then just install Good on it. So Priv or not it ran the same.
    BES 12 is cross platform as is Good Technologies. These two products are slowly being integrated to make a better product overall.
    Between BES 12 and Good, BlackBerry dominates the market in MDM-EMM and not really considered a part of the platform. Software that runs your business is your platform.
    Hardware is just a commodity regardless whether it is a iPhone, Android, MS or BB10 or whatever server you buy .

Posted via my DTEK50
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-03-16 10:49 AM
    Ok great, awesome, so what amazing specs are available over and above what DTEK60 is offering, that would justify a $200 price hike? For either Galaxy S7 or iPhone 7?

Posted via CB10
    I heard that material cost for iPhone is around $250. That's without software cost. I am not sure about DTEK60 though. Apple and Samsung probably have huge discounts for mass production. DTEK60 is using TCL reference model so it will probably cost less than Samsung or apple IMO. I don't think DTEK60 will use hogh quality material like apple or Samsung flagship models.
    10-03-16 11:44 AM
    For all those people who say that BlackBerry should sell it like $399 or less to increase market share... WHY? They don't care about market share now. They are part of "Android OS" phones. They want to make hardware "profitable". I don't know how selling at a LOSS is profitable. I don't see how big marketing campaign will make it profitable.

Right now Chen is playing around with costs and margin to make the hardware division profitable. They can sell fewer at higher price or more at lower price. More at lower price just increases overhead (more to support) and have more risk (larger commitment). Therefore fewer at higher price is the way they are going.
    10-03-16 11:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's just the name. Somehow people can justify getting bent over for the name but expect BlackBerry to give their phones away. Even when those phones are similar or even better spec'd.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-03-16 11:51 AM
    wow, all the brave chaps... i would never ever put my money down until I see the industry design... pay down money based on the spec? not knowing the actual off chip delay and package, never mention the style... actual upload/download and antenna performance... I am holding tight of my shoe string budget... you guys must be rich... joking on the side, great time for BB comeout something that has no blast battery and touch disease... better be quick on market with a good looking BB...
    10-03-16 01:02 PM
    wow, all the brave chaps... i would never ever put my money down until I see the industry design... pay down money based on the spec? not knowing the actual off chip delay and package, never mention the style... actual upload/download and antenna performance... I am holding tight of my shoe string budget... you guys must be rich... joking on the side, great time for BB comeout something that has no blast battery and touch disease... better be quick on market with a good looking BB...
    The DTEK50 is a known, and well built product. I have several. DTEK60 is just a better version. I would buy it sight unseen.
    Randal Yandal, sidhuk and SDTRMG like this.
    10-03-16 01:28 PM
278 12345 ...