11-03-16 11:26 PM
92 1234
tools
    Interesting, thanks.
    There hasn't been any leaks or plans on that, so I wonder if they can make it to 2017 Feb.
    I said the same thing about DTEK50 and others, I didn't think they could release it with so much hush hush (no leaks) and it turns out it was just a rebrand of existing device, hence no leaks etc.. That won't happen with PKB BB Android because there is no existing device they can rebrand, they would have to make one from scratch, and I doubt BB will spend time on HW anymore. I hope I am wrong, but we never know.
    There haven't been leaks but there have been renders
    They already are spending time on the PKB phone
    Rebranding makes them spend less time on HW so it's good for them

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-21-16 11:08 PM
    Paratek antenna.
    Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 01:50 AM
    I think there other major differences between real BlackBerrys and the re-branded ones: BlackBerry's antenna (forgot the name) that is supposedly better at reception and it's legendary call quality.

Those two make all the difference to me.

Posted via CB10
    Is that in the DTEK50? There is nothing in the spec and BBRY don't claim that it contains that technology.
    09-22-16 04:36 AM
    The main difference is not the production, but the design. Like other pointed out, BB has already outsourced production of phones some time ago. What's really new is that BB is not even designing the phones anymore. The new DTEK branded Android phones are just cheap chinese desigined/built devices by TCL with a BB label on it.
    I think BB input to the specification. Otherways how would they achieve hardware root of trust? How would they have the variances from TCL's base design?
    Pretty much everybody's phones are built in china and sure that means to some extent parts of pretty much everyone's phones have been decided in advance to align with one of the template designs, but no template is totally inflexible.
    09-22-16 06:47 AM
    Hopefully. They did a great job with the DTEK50.

To be more accurate, both the Idol 4 and DTEK50 were built off a TCL reference design.

Likewise, the DTEK60 will be built from a TCL design that Alcatel used as well to build their 4S and 4Pro. They are all a bit different.
    Just take my money already!
    09-22-16 07:49 AM
    I think there other major differences between real BlackBerrys and the re-branded ones: BlackBerry's antenna (forgot the name) that is supposedly better at reception and it's legendary call quality.

Those two make all the difference to me.

Posted via CB10
    hahaha marketing nonsense I'm afraid

Liquid Graphics anyone?
    09-22-16 08:12 AM
    I think BB input to the specification. Otherways how would they achieve hardware root of trust? .
    It's built into the chip-set the phone use, it's just most OEMs don't do anything with or just don't mention it because it provides no sales advantage.
    09-22-16 08:36 AM
    hahaha marketing nonsense I'm afraid

Liquid Graphics anyone?
    Note the "supposedly" on the Paratek antenna. As for the call quality, I can attest to my Q10 being better than my Galaxy and my brother's iPhone. So, yes, that part is legendary for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 08:39 AM
    It's built into the chip-set the phone use, it's just most OEMs don't do anything with or just don't mention it because it provides no sales advantage.
    Although Thurber specifically said that they injected something into the manufacturing stage. The fact that the front camera is slightly out of position compared to the Alcatel Idol 4 seems to back up that claim.
    Carjackd likes this.
    09-22-16 08:52 AM
    Note the "supposedly" on the Paratek antenna. As for the call quality, I can attest to my Q10 being better than my Galaxy and my brother's iPhone. So, yes, that part is legendary for me.

Posted via CB10
    aye, but Motorola has some superb call reception and quality, probably the best out there.
    Blackberry are up there too.

Samsung and Apple phones have traditionally been poor in that sense, so probably not the best comparisons really
    09-22-16 08:59 AM
    Although Thurber specifically said that they injected something into the manufacturing stage. The fact that the front camera is slightly out of position compared to the Alcatel Idol 4 seems to back up that claim.
    Which anyone else can do in that chipset but nobody seems to bother (well not in that price range - samsung do it on various phones) likely because it is a cost with no benefit - from all the technical stuff I've read about it, it does not require any hardware modifications.
    09-22-16 10:31 AM
    Which anyone else can do in that chipset but nobody seems to bother (well not in that price range - samsung do it on various phones) likely because it is a cost with no benefit - from all the technical stuff I've read about it, it does not require any hardware modifications.
    I hear you. I'm just trying to reconcile the Thurber statement and the repositioning of the camera.
    09-22-16 10:48 AM
    I hear you. I'm just trying to reconcile the Thurber statement and the repositioning of the camera.
    I've have to find that because I remember he was very careful in his wording....
    09-22-16 10:52 AM
    should have been the Rome or whatever the name is, a PKB please!
    09-22-16 02:36 PM
    I don't know why people are stuck on the idea that it is an Alcatel phone. It's a BlackBerry phone that's all. Sharing the same platform is for cost control like many car manufacturers do for different models.

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    09-22-16 07:16 PM
    TCL is the manufacturing company, not Alcatel. The DTEK 60 will not be any more or less original then the Alcatel model, they are just built from the same design from the same manufacturer. There is no chicken or egg in this scenario.

As for the statements about the Paratek antenna, I'll just point out that there is more to "call quality" than the antenna. There are noise cancelling microphones that play a big part, as well as speaker quality that all add to the perceived call quality. In most locations, I would even say that these play an even bigger part in overall clarity and "call quality."
    09-22-16 07:42 PM
    TCL is the manufacturing company, not Alcatel. The DTEK 60 will not be any more or less original then the Alcatel model, they are just built from the same design from the same manufacturer. There is no chicken or egg in this scenario.

As for the statements about the Paratek antenna, I'll just point out that there is more to "call quality" than the antenna. There are noise cancelling microphones that play a big part, as well as speaker quality that all add to the perceived call quality. In most locations, I would even say that these play an even bigger part in overall clarity and "call quality."
    You are wrong lol

TCL is Alcatel http://www.alcatelonetouch.us/about-us

Attachment 408833

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-22-16 08:19 PM
    These DTEK phones are really an attractive package at a reasonable price point with the BlackBerry value added features. Hopefully the 60 will have a better battery attached. I know Androids are power hogs.

Posted via CB10
    aecgda likes this.
    09-22-16 09:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's a lower spec'd camera than the rumors and the leaked BlackBerry product site that leaked http://web.archive.org/web/201609200...otpublish.html

That video seems iffy.

Attachment 408861

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    Last edited by jope28; 09-23-16 at 01:19 PM.
    09-23-16 12:05 PM
    That's a BS video...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 12:21 PM
    Appu R Nath ... this video is a false. Dtek 60 is completely different

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 12:32 PM
    If BlackBerry can persuade everyone that this phone is meaningfully more secure, and has the hub working very well this phone should sell well. But it has to come out soon.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 01:18 PM
    This is the TCL 950 :

09-23-16 01:25 PM
    Looks good

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 08:40 PM
    Interesting, thanks.
    There hasn't been any leaks or plans on that, so I wonder if they can make it to 2017 Feb.
    I said the same thing about DTEK50 and others, I didn't think they could release it with so much hush hush (no leaks) and it turns out it was just a rebrand of existing device, hence no leaks etc.. That won't happen with PKB BB Android because there is no existing device they can rebrand, they would have to make one from scratch, and I doubt BB will spend time on HW anymore. I hope I am wrong, but we never know.
    Isn't it ironic that it is generally just a matter of time before we get leaked information from a company that builds its reputation on security.
    09-26-16 03:41 PM
92 1234