So what... They have no hardware to sell you anyway. They QUIT before you could FIRE them..get it??
    Sure do, little late..but we sure get it now.
    But in the courts, it is still BlackBerry.. You brand it, you own it!
    06-27-17 12:53 PM
    if it's just business then it's safe to assume this is it for blackberry, be it blackberry mobile, TCL whatever. if what your saying is true that they think it's just cheaper to not support products after 4 to 6 months then it's really an exit strategy. save money while they completely shut down and go out with the KEYone, that makes sense now.

I own restaurants, let's say my kitchen makes an extra pancake. first thought (and a nice one) is to give it to a staff member so it doesn't go to waste right? wrong. Throw it in the garbage is cheaper when it's already waste. That staff member will put butter and syrup on it, costing me even more not to mention dirty up a plate for my dishwasher to spend more labor on.

So really, this business practice that some of you are talking about sounds more like an exit strategy. if blackberry is software only but the hardware side provides no support for the product then both sides have nothing. They sound like they are merely getting rid of some final products and do it as cheaply as possible and then disappear. too bad
    Yes, BlackBerry has sought an exit strategy for devices. They no longer make them, and they are trying to extract value from their software through licensing.

TCL, on the other hand, genuinely seems quite excited about the opportunity. I'm pretty confident that they're going to stick around for a while.

If you feel better holding TCL to account for BlackBerry's prior faults, then go for it. I just don't find it a very useful exercise.
    06-27-17 12:53 PM
    Finally....somebody gets it. You're right. It's an exit strategy....just like a few months ago when Chen said BB was EXITING hardware.

Think of it like BB couldn't get anyone to buy the hardware business, 2013 or 2017. Chen licensed the name and if brand has any value left, maybe then BBMo will buy it outright if they have any commercial success.

As far as everything goes though, Chen is done wasting shareholder money on hardware as he should be. Whether or not the company will be further successful is unknown but the shareholders back Chen.

You're right though, no reason for throwing good money after bad...and yes EXIT strategy but he told us that clearly awhile back. What more does anybody want from a shut down entity/division?
    They did NOT exit hardware.

They simply changed to a licensing strategy because it was more efficient to have someone else build them.

Their logo is clearly still all over existing hardware sales.

No amount of excuse making can change that.

It's still really simple... ya might get it soon.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 12:56 PM

They simply changed to a licensing strategy because it was more efficient to have someone else build them.

No, they are completely out of the device business. They are simply trying to extract some small value out of the Blackberry Android software by licensing it to others. They're also trying to make a few bucks out of their brand name as well. But it stops there.
    06-27-17 12:58 PM
    No, they are completely out of the device business. They are simply trying to extract some small value out of the Blackberry Android software by licensing it to others. They're also trying to make a few bucks out of their brand name as well. But it stops there.
    Then why were the Dtek series, and K1 Marketed, Branded, Warrantied, and sold by BlackBerry, Not BlackBerry made by TCL?
    06-27-17 01:06 PM

Just like when you're consulting for a company, they may even give you an email address and cubicle, but you're not an employee...you decide what you're going to do, when you're going to do it and EXIT anytime you'd like....

There's various levels with outsourcing and they've chosen the extreme with licensing. They have no legal obligation to back up anything BBMo does. They have to honor remaining warranties for PRIV/DTEK hardware sold recently.

If you think it's more, sue them, although I'm sure they'll out legal you with the law and out lawyer you with the bodies. Fairfax/Prem and the other institutional shareholders are pretty good with that sort of thing.
    06-27-17 01:08 PM
    Then why were the Dtek series, and K1 Marketed, Branded, Warrantied, and sold by BlackBerry, Not BlackBerry made by TCL?
    You're not correct.

The Priv and DTEKs were BlackBerry devices, and sold and distributed by BlackBerry. They are also out of production and no longer available.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) device - sold and distributed by TCL. www.blackberrymobile.com
    06-27-17 01:10 PM
    Just like when you're consulting for a company, they may even give you an email address and cubicle, but you're not an employee...you decide what you're going to do, when you're going to do it and EXIT anytime you'd like....

There's various levels with outsourcing and they've chosen the extreme with licensing. They have no legal obligation to back up anything BBMo does. They have to honor remaining warranties for PRIV/DTEK hardware sold recently.

If you think it's more, sue them, although I'm sure they'll out legal you with the law and out lawyer you with the bodies. Fairfax/Prem and the other institutional shareholders are pretty good with that sort of thing.
    Maybe true, but once a good class action gets rolling it is hard to stop once the bottom feeder lawyers join together. Just think out loud here, just a really poor ways to exit the business that's all. Might be a good thing once there isn't a BB logo on any of the phones TCL manufacturer's, then all can move on from BlackBerry.

Another thought.... Does anyone know what CB plans to do once the BB logo ceases to exist on hardware.
    06-27-17 01:21 PM
    You're not correct.

The Priv and DTEKs were BlackBerry devices, and sold and distributed by BlackBerry. They are also out of production and no longer available.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) device - sold and distributed by TCL. BlackBerry® KEYone | United States - Official Website
    TCL made the Dtek series, right?
    06-27-17 01:22 PM
    You're not correct.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) device - sold and distributed by TCL. BlackBerry® KEYone | United States - Official Website
    The DTEK60 was made by TCL. It was also released after BB announced they were exiting the Device business.

So are you saying that from day 1 we should have assumed that BlackBerry wouldn't support it because they had already exited the business? Or should we listen to the marketing that is still on their website that states they will provide updates and secure the device.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-27-17 01:24 PM
    TCL made the Dtek series, right?
    They only did the manufacturing for BlackBerry. Much like Wistron built the Priv and Passport.
    06-27-17 01:26 PM
    They only did the manufacturing for BlackBerry. Much like Wistron built the Priv and Passport.
    So the answer is yes I take it.
    06-27-17 01:29 PM
    The PRIV was designed by BlackBerry, was it not? The DTEK phones used reference designs previously used by TCL. So it is similar, but BlackBerry had much more input into the design of the PRIV, right?
    The DTEK60 was made by TCL. It was also released after BB announced they were exiting the Device business.

So are you saying that from day 1 we should have assumed that BlackBerry wouldn't support it because they had already exited the business? Or should we listen to the marketing that is still on their website that states they will provide updates and secure the device.
    They are supporting it. You're just not getting Nougat.
    The PRIV was designed by BlackBerry, was it not? The DTEK phones used reference designs previously used by TCL. So it is similar, but BlackBerry had much more input into the design of the PRIV, right?
    BlackBerry worked off TCL reference designs for the DTEK hardware, yes.

They figured that would be cheaper, and make the devices more affordable than designing from scratch.
    06-27-17 01:31 PM
    They are supporting it. You're just not getting Nougat.
    Are they? Not to the degree that they promote on their website, and not to the degree that has been expected considering they are "first-in-class"

More apologist talk from conite. Not surprising.

In addition, the most secure thing would be to update to Nougat, but that won't happen.
    06-27-17 01:32 PM
    Are they? Not to the degree that they promote on their website, and not to the degree that has been expected considering they are "first-in-class"

In addition, the most secure thing would be to update to Nougat, but that won't happen.
    Amen, defender and chief of BB and CB!
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 01:35 PM

You flat out said they "weren't" supporting it. I said they were, but I did not specify as to what degree.

Warranty support and monthly patches sufficiently qualify as a measurable level of support - so your statement is incorrect.
    06-27-17 01:36 PM
    So the answer is yes I take it.
    Not that it has a single thing to do with our discussion.
    06-27-17 01:37 PM
    well, until we get an update for June or July, the support I am seeing is zero since I got the May update.

That is how I view it.

Warranty support is a legal obligation. I won't even consider that.
    06-27-17 01:37 PM
    It does to me. I am not happy with my experience with a TCL built BlackBerry phone. Therefore TCL and BlackBerry have a negative perception in my mind. Even if the legal lines you draw with regard to the DTEK60 mean I should only be mad at BlackBerry.
    06-27-17 01:40 PM
    It does to me. I am not happy with my experience with a TCL built BlackBerry phone. Therefore TCL and BlackBerry have a negative perception in my mind. Even if the legal lines you draw with regard to the DTEK60 mean I should only be mad at BlackBerry.
    Fair enough.
    06-27-17 01:41 PM
    Sure it does, with your bias it has everything to do with it.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 01:42 PM
    Finally....somebody gets it. You're right. It's an exit strategy....just like a few months ago when Chen said BB was EXITING hardware.

Think of it like BB couldn't get anyone to buy the hardware business, 2013 or 2017. Chen licensed the name and if brand has any value left, maybe then BBMo will buy it outright if they have any commercial success.

As far as everything goes though, Chen is done wasting shareholder money on hardware as he should be. Whether or not the company will be further successful is unknown but the shareholders back Chen.

You're right though, no reason for throwing good money after bad...and yes EXIT strategy but he told us that clearly awhile back. What more does anybody want from a shut down entity/division?
    I'm also saying that if they want to sell software like they say, said software must be used somewhere. Sure if they sell /license their software to TCL as an example they can just take the money and not care what they do with it but technically that will be their last sale, as TCL does not seem to care about repeat customers either. I say it sounds like an exit strategy but it makes no sense to me
    06-27-17 01:43 PM
934 ... 7891011 ...