With respect to new branded devices, BlackBerry needs only be trustworthy to its three customers.
    You can't really believe a fraction of what you have been saying, can you?

It is really starting to get strangely bizarre
    06-28-17 12:30 PM
    Huh?
    Well the post I quoted talked about EU and UK warranty - the Consumer Rights Act (2015) covers you for the hardware *as it is* out of the box.

You *might* have a case of contractual breach (not warranty) if in each box there was a signed letter from Blackberry staring that included in the purchase price was a update to New included in the price. However that would be a contract breach issues rather than a warranty issue and you'd have to take them to court to enforce it.

The wider rule of thumb I was referring to is that when buying an android device (except for a pixel) always buy it for what it does out of the box and never rely on updates.
    06-28-17 12:30 PM
    Sure. You'd have to weigh that against the costs associated with breach of contract, and whatever clause TCL put in there to handle such an event.
    It's reasonable to presume BlackBerry Ltd. wanted some clause stating that TCL or BlackBerry Mobile would not disparage BlackBerry Ltd. or alter its software.

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    06-28-17 12:33 PM
    I speak for me. I haven't insulted you.
    That was a comment about the community and not you in particular... and is about the obvious fact that only positive news about the K1 makes the real headlines anymore.
    06-28-17 12:33 PM
    That was a comment about the community and not you in particular... and is about the obvious fact that only positive news about the K1 makes the real headlines anymore.
    Oh that should be absolutely clear - this place is on the payroll - however conite isn't.
    06-28-17 12:34 PM
    Do what you must, of course.

Personally I don't blame McDonald's because I got a bad burger from Wendy's.
    Dude, you have officially jump the shark.
    I don't come here to argue, call names, or anything of the sort. I come here for solid trustworthy advice from people that seem to know more than I do about BlackBerry hardware and the Android OS, that's what CB was created for right? All I have seen is you telling people that don't agree with your TCL line on the Dtek is to do what they will with little to no advice.. Pretty much it is think my way or you are wrong. What's up with that? Are you their new moderator now? Where is Blaze? What the heck has happened to the old trusted CB? This is not cutting it, and if I were an advertiser on their site I would reevaluate my choices.
    06-28-17 12:43 PM
    Oh that should be absolutely clear - this place is on the payroll - however conite isn't.
    Yes... and that is the classic definition of "shill" ... again about CB in general... not a single individual.

And in that context... shills abound... undeniable...
    HughJarsse likes this.
    06-28-17 12:44 PM
    Of course it's a BlackBerry!

The only marking a DTEK60 has on it is a BlackBerry logo. No TCL, no Alcatel... nothing.

When you boot it up the first thing you see is "BlackBerry Powered by Android" .

Of course it's a BlackBerry. Trying to obscure that fact with licensing gibberish is just silly.
    No one is disputing if the dtek60 is BlackBerry or not, everyone knows that it is BlackBerry and sold by them. The whole licensing thing was in response to someone mentioning the KEYone.
    06-28-17 12:51 PM
    Dude, you have officially jump the shark.
    I don't come here to argue, call names, or anything of the sort. I come here for solid trustworthy advice from people that seem to know more than I do about BlackBerry hardware and the Android OS, that's what CB was created for right? All I have seen is you telling people that don't agree with your TCL line on the Dtek is to do what they will with little to no advice.. Pretty much it is think my way or you are wrong. What's up with that? Are you their new moderator now? Where is Blaze? What the heck has happened to the old trusted CB? This is not cutting it, and if I were an advertiser on their site I would reevaluate my choices.
    This is not subjective. This is objective fact.

BlackBerry's only part in devices going forward is to supply OS builds to the licencees according to the requirements set out in the licencing agreement. That's it. Period. Full stop. This is not a matter of opinion or debate.
    06-28-17 12:53 PM
    I agree, but who do I call about the warranty? BlackBerry, BlackBerry mobile, tcl, crackberry, conite. McDonald's, or Wendy's?

BTW I'm waiting for the pixel 2 to come out with a guaranteed 2 years of best in class security support. It's cheaper than buying a BlackBerry that only supports it's phones for 6 or 7 months.
    Me too, name is on the wait / contact list the the P2 need 38 though, then will try to sell the 38 Dtek60 paperweights we have.
    06-28-17 12:54 PM
    Warranty is BlackBerry Limited. BlackBerry Limited doesn't make phones anymore so they don't have anymore phones to sell you anyway. They also don't care what other brand you buy.... They're used to 99% of the planet buying some other brand.
    True, sad but oh so true!
    06-28-17 12:58 PM
    Me too, name is on the wait / contact list the the P2 need 38 though, then will try to sell the 38 Dtek60 paperweights we have.
    /blackberry-dtek60-f457/nougat-dtek60-1113495-post12943126/
    06-28-17 01:01 PM
    No. You can't buy a device from BlackBerry anymore. They still sell the remaining stock of accessories, but that's it.

BlackBerry IS out of the device business. They don't sell, market, distribute, support any branded device. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ promotional spot on BlackBerry is just a link to TCL.

BlackBerry never manufactured devices - they always contracted others to do that (TCL, Wistron, Foxconn, etc).
    Again, you are missing the point of what most are saying. We know they are out of the hardware biz, issue is with the Dtek60... this is the forum for the phone right? Not TCL, Mc'Ds, Wendy's. Can you just move past your drone response to people that have a legitimate grievances about not being serviced the way that BlackBerry promised them in their legally binding marketing materials. Ya know?
    06-28-17 01:07 PM
    Again, you are missing the point of what most are saying. We know they are out of the hardware biz, issue is with the Dtek60... this is the forum for the phone right? Not TCL, Mc'Ds, Wendy's. Can you just move past your drone response to people that have a legitimate grievances about not being serviced the way that BlackBerry promised them in their legally binding marketing materials. Ya know?
    I don't respond to DTEK-only posts with anything regarding TCL. I understand the relationships clearly.

The DTEKs will continue to receive patches and support from BlackBerry. They are not likely to get Nougat, but they can nevertheless still argue that they have better security than vanilla-Nougat. I can't say with complete authority on that point, but they have done enough to Marshmallow to make a good case for it.
    06-28-17 01:15 PM
    And I find it astonishing that a buyer believes that anyone else apart from the seller bears any responsibility to him for the product.
    Law 101 brother, the contract is between you and the branded company, sure if the manufacturer stated something that they didn't follow though with they "could" be liable as well.. Just don't see that at this point, only BlackBerry at this juncture.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-28-17 01:15 PM
    Law 101 brother, the contract is between you and the branded company, sure if the manufacturer stated something that they didn't follow though with they "could" be liable as well.. Just don't see that at this point, only BlackBerry at this juncture.
    If you buy a device from TCL, then ONLY TCL is responsible to you. BlackBerry is just a vendor to TCL, and has zero obligation to the end user.

But, as you say, this does not apply to you and your BlackBerry (not TCL) DTEK60.
    06-28-17 01:18 PM
    Sure. But it's TCL that is selling you the 2 year burger. BlackBerry only contributes the name Big Mac and the special sauce. It's up to TCL to make appropriate arrangements to make sure the sauce stays fresh - and that's only between them and BlackBerry.
    What the heck are you talking about? This started in the context of the Dtek 60, that we bought and sold by BlackBerry not receiving monthly security updates period, stop, just stop... step away from the kool-aid dude.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-28-17 01:22 PM
    I don't know about that I suspect he is, he took over the Brand Ambassador position vacated but Alicia Keys
    06-28-17 01:22 PM
    I have been following this for a couple of days now and it seems to me that an easy fix would be for TCL (Blackberry Mobile) take over pushing the software updates out to the cloned TCL products DTEK50/60 that have been discontinued by Blackberry. NO?
    Now your trying to make to much since. Stop it!
    06-28-17 01:25 PM
    What the heck are you talking about? This started in the context of the Dtek 60, that we bought and sold by BlackBerry not receiving monthly security updates period, stop, just stop... step away from the kool-aid dude.
    This line of discussion started with this post:

"I personally won't be buying a new BlackBerry phone, no matter who makes it."

Clearly it is a reference to a TCL device, as they are the only ones currently selling a BlackBerry-branded device.
    06-28-17 01:27 PM
    I don't know about that I suspect he is, he took over the Brand Ambassador position vacated but Alicia Keys
    She didn't even have a BlackBerry, that's the best part.
    06-28-17 01:28 PM
    I have been following this for a couple of days now and it seems to me that an easy fix would be for TCL (Blackberry Mobile) take over pushing the software updates out to the cloned TCL products DTEK50/60 that have been discontinued by Blackberry. NO?
    Now your trying to make to much since. Stop it!
    Why? It's BlackBerry that makes the software anyway, so why insert a middle-man?
    06-28-17 01:30 PM
    Well the post I quoted talked about EU and UK warranty - the Consumer Rights Act (2015) covers you for the hardware *as it is* out of the box.

You *might* have a case of contractual breach (not warranty) if in each box there was a signed letter from Blackberry staring that included in the purchase price was a update to New included in the price. However that would be a contract breach issues rather than a warranty issue and you'd have to take them to court to enforce it.

The wider rule of thumb I was referring to is that when buying an android device (except for a pixel) always buy it for what it does out of the box and never rely on updates.
    Yep, got it
    06-28-17 01:32 PM
    This line of discussion started with this post:

"I personally won't be buying a new BlackBerry phone, no matter who makes it."

Clearly it is a reference to a TCL device, as they are the only ones currently selling a BlackBerry-branded device.
    Wait a minute, I thought you said BlackBerry had 3 customers selling the device? Did BlackBerry give them the shaft already?
    06-28-17 01:33 PM
    This is not subjective. This is objective fact.

BlackBerry's only part in devices going forward is to supply OS builds to the licencees according to the requirements set out in the licencing agreement. That's it. Period. Full stop. This is not a matter of opinion or debate.
    Only talking about the Dtek60
    06-28-17 01:34 PM
934 ... 1415161718 ...