What's the new build after installing?
    07-26-17 11:11 PM
    AAM326, yes its June update
    07-27-17 12:42 AM
    I used the cobalt BlackBerry manager to download the apps. It was simple, I found the link in the Android apps section of CB. I like the Google launcher over BB. No problems so far it's quick and the battery lasts longer than the dtek60.
    Thanks for the info. The Hub is basically the only thing keeping me tied to BB.
    07-27-17 06:52 AM
    If anything, the fact that they didn't pull the cord even earlier on BB10 astonishes me.
    I agree (though I'm a huge beneficiary of BB10's ongoing viability). Clearly they had some contractual obligations or felt a sense of obligation to one or more strategic customers, and the rest of us have benefitted.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-27-17 06:55 AM
    OEMs are provided the patched OS about a month prior to the public security bulletin. They then have a month to get it ready for their own devices in order to achieve "zero" day.

However, if a problem comes up, it can take longer than 30 days - sometimes even with an army of developers. Component suppliers may need to be brought in to fix something, and they may not be as timely. As is generally speculated, back in April there may have been an issue between the BlackBerry implementation and with one or more Qualcomm drivers on the 800 series SoC - which prevented both the Priv and DTEK60 from getting the full patch level. They caught up the next month.

We know BlackBerry has been up to its eyeballs with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ OS release, so if this is combined with yet another technical challenge, delays can result.

Stuff happens.
    Thanks, Conite. That's more or less what I assumed, but I didn't have any actual information to validate my assumptions.

07-27-17 06:57 AM
    I just finished installing the update (I got the notification this morning) and I am now on the June 5, 2017 Android security patch level. It would be nice to know what was the cause of the delay, but at this point I am not going to hold my breath.

One thing, however, that is certain is that when you do not provide people with information and they have to assume or guess the conclusions that they come to are almost always worse than the reality that you are not disclosing by a lack of communication. For me personally if they would have stated that the patch caused some issues and there were some bugs that needed to be fixed (a few got the June 5, 2017 patch at the beginning of the month) I would be happy with waiting.
    07-27-17 12:36 PM
    ... if they would have stated that the patch caused some issues and there were some bugs that needed to be fixed (a few got the June 5, 2017 patch at the beginning of the month) I would be happy with waiting.
    I cannot help but agree that the June 5 patch is bad. And as I cannot downgrade earlier than the last autoloader(the phone just blinks red and stops at Fastboot), the problems seem to persist until the next patch, hopefully...
    Last edited by moonflyer; 08-05-17 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Various.
    08-05-17 11:10 AM
    The update worked fine for me. BlackBerry has never never given information on software updates so this is no different really.
    08-05-17 02:01 PM
    I have come to the conclusion that there will be no Nougat and that the Dtek60 was just a Test . I really like the phone but wouldn't recommend it for it not having no updates besides the patches. BlackBerry does not care about Loyalty. Just Royalties....

Sent from Priv.....in rotation....
    chi-town311 likes this.
    08-10-17 03:40 PM
    I have come to the conclusion that there will be no Nougat and that the Dtek60 was just a Test . I really like the phone but wouldn't recommend it for it not having no updates besides the patches. BlackBerry does not care about Loyalty. Just Royalties....

Sent from Priv.....in rotation....
    So true, August 12th and notta peep.

Wish I knew how this mess was going to play out nine months ago.
    Never again, BlackBerry is done for good this time. Really was hoping for a strong come back for the fourth time. Oh well ..lol
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    08-12-17 04:07 AM

Never again, BlackBerry is done for good this time. Really was hoping for a strong come back for the fourth time. Oh well ..lol
    I Guess they are going to have to start over with a new base of customers. Maybe a new name?
    I am totally disillusioned about the whole thing.
    Possibly will run out my phones life with the 10 BlackBerrys I have. Yes lol ,that's all we can do when nobody is listening right?
    08-12-17 07:24 PM
    I Guess they are going to have to start over with a new base of customers. Maybe a new name?
    I am totally disillusioned about the whole thing.
    Possibly will run out my phones life with the 10 BlackBerrys I have. Yes lol ,that's all we can do when nobody is listening right?
    If you're unhappy with BlackBerry, you should sell the phones you no longer value or enjoy and buy something that will satisfy you.

Unless, of course, you're like me, and are just disgusted at how mobile has evolved. I have no love for Android or iOS, so I'm sticking with BB10 and my laptop for 99% of my work, with a Priv in my bag for those few times I absolutely need a mobile app.

08-12-17 10:40 PM
    If you're unhappy with BlackBerry, you should sell the phones you no longer value or enjoy and buy something that will satisfy you.

Unless, of course, you're like me, and are just disgusted at how mobile has evolved. I have no love for Android or iOS, so I'm sticking with BB10 and my laptop for 99% of my work, with a Priv in my bag for those few times I absolutely need a mobile app.

It's hard to give up what you love.
    I'll have to give up the phones, PlayBooks and some apparel. I wear my Blackberry cap daily.

Yeah , disgusted

Wonder where BlackBerry will be in 10years with all these disposable phones.

Oh you still use the Z10? awesome ...I have the white one and put the Black cover on back. It looks good.

Really wish they would come out with BB11...

Sent from Dtek60.... Tomorrow Passport lol

Oh yeah when my Mac Mini Crashed I just used my Passport for a computer for 6months until I got a Macbook.
    08-12-17 11:18 PM
    It's hard to give up what you love.
    I'll have to give up the phones, PlayBooks and some apparel. I wear my Blackberry cap daily.

Yeah , disgusted

Wonder where BlackBerry will be in 10years with all these disposable phones.

Oh you still use the Z10? awesome ...I have the white one and put the Black cover on back. It looks good.

Really wish they would come out with BB11...

Sent from Dtek60.... Tomorrow Passport lol

Oh yeah when my Mac Mini Crashed I just used my Passport for a computer for 6months until I got a Macbook.
    I use my PlayBook daily for online ed videos during my commute. The sound and picture are still top notch, and it's the perfect size for my backpack.

The fact that BlackBerry missed the market with the PlayBook and BB10 is unfortunate, but doesn't diminish the excellent work that went into both product lines. Neither are mainstream products. App availability is practically non-existent for the PlayBook, and is getting more and more limited for BB10 each month, but both are excellent performers within their narrow comfort zone.

It just so happens that, for me, BB10 still does almost everything I want a mobile phone to do and with much greater ease and efficiency than Android or iOS. I use my PC for most of the apps my friends use on their mobile phones, and the coming generation of smaller, always connected cellular PCs will probably move me further in that direction.
    Bertie Bear likes this.
    08-13-17 02:05 AM

News and an explanation today is that all future updates for DTEK seris will come from BlackBerry mobile per UTB. Excellent read about this (although lengthy)

The BlackBerry DTEK50 and DTEK60 Now Part of TCL Licensing Agreement - UTB Blogs
    water_rodent and moonflyer like this.
    08-14-17 08:12 AM
    News and an explanation today is that all future updates for DTEK seris will come from BlackBerry mobile per UTB. Excellent read about this (although lengthy)

The BlackBerry DTEK50 and DTEK60 Now Part of TCL Licensing Agreement - UTB Blogs
    This is a very good article. I am very interested to know what, if anything will change now that the DTEK's are part of the TCL agreement. While I am not holding my breath for Android N, the article makes a great point regarding those of us who love and support BlackBerry devices. Here's hoping that TLC and BlackBerry Mobile read this one!
    08-14-17 11:19 AM
    Thank you
    08-14-17 11:28 AM
    This is a very good article. I am very interested to know what, if anything will change now that the DTEK's are part of the TCL agreement. While I am not holding my breath for Android N, the article makes a great point regarding those of us who love and support BlackBerry devices. Here's hoping that TLC and BlackBerry Mobile read this one!
    Guess all we can do is pray, hope and dream...zzzz
    08-14-17 05:58 PM
    knowing BlackBerry Mobile is directly involved with what happens to Dtek and Priv in the future will also dictate if I will buy a new BlackBerry Mobile phone in the future
    08-14-17 06:51 PM
    knowing BlackBerry Mobile is directly involved with what happens to Dtek and Priv in the future will also dictate if I will buy a new BlackBerry Mobile phone in the future
    That's a good point. They now can take the credit or the blame for any issues. If I were them, I would upgrade the DTEKs to Nougat.

08-14-17 07:16 PM
    at the end of the day it all falls to blackberry. we are looking for os updates. that's BlackBerry's realm
    08-14-17 08:26 PM

Thank you!
    08-14-17 11:21 PM
    I use my PlayBook daily for online ed videos during my commute. The sound and picture are still top notch, and it's the perfect size for my backpack.

The fact that BlackBerry missed the market with the PlayBook and BB10 is unfortunate, but doesn't diminish the excellent work that went into both product lines. Neither are mainstream products. App availability is practically non-existent for the PlayBook, and is getting more and more limited for BB10 each month, but both are excellent performers within their narrow comfort zone.

It just so happens that, for me, BB10 still does almost everything I want a mobile phone to do and with much greater ease and efficiency than Android or iOS. I use my PC for most of the apps my friends use on their mobile phones, and the coming generation of smaller, always connected cellular PCs will probably move me further in that direction.
    Well said, agree with all of that.
    I love my Priv, but I do find the File Manager on BB10 so much easier to use. And my PlayBook is also still in daily use!

Posted from my indestructible BlackBerry PlayBook™
    08-15-17 06:11 AM
    at the end of the day it all falls to blackberry. we are looking for os updates. that's BlackBerry's realm
    At least now we know BB won't be paying for them. If BBMo wants to pay for it, maybe they will. Although, I think it's counterproductive since they want you to buy a new phone. Maybe I'll get something free, but I'm not counting on it.
    08-15-17 07:21 AM
    Exactly.

BlackBerry did represent that the DTEKs would get Nougat. There's not a legal case here, but there sure is a consumer revolt case. Attempting to force people to buy a new phone to get Nougat before their DTEK would be retired for other reasons is both foolish and worthy of retribution by BlackBerry's customers who bought the DTEK series devices.

It's foolish for one simple reason -- with non-user-replaceable batteries and 600Mhz spectrum coming online there are already two reasons for someone to upgrade in the next couple of years. If you destroy good will by not keeping your promises then the odds of a customer buying another handset from TCL/BlackBerryMobile are ZERO.

Attempting to force an early upgrade purchase is a losing proposition. You brand yourself as a liar at the outset, which is never a good position for a vendor to be in, and further some people will (quite-justifiably) take that to be an act of attempted extortion.

Given that there are two organic reasons for people to buy upgrades in the first place this is just flat-out dumb. While I'm sure the cost of putting Nougat on these devices is not zero the damage to the firm's reputation extends far beyond the owners of those units as you can't keep the knowledge of that failure to them alone.

Personally, I still like my DTEK60, but yes, the 600Mhz band openings will eventually force a replacement with something else, because the enhanced coverage will make it worth doing. If TCL/BlackBerryMobile does not upgrade the DTEK60 to Nougat in a reasonably contemporary fashion then I will not be buying any further hardware from them.

For me it's that simple.
    08-15-17 08:37 AM
934 ... 3334353637 ...