Except the last several months of personal experience. Give it up. DTEK60 is not even close to a priority.
    Are you serious? Why are some still on a May security patch when we are 5 days away from August? Did you listen to last week's podcast? Kevin asked about nougat for the priv and dteks, BlackBerry response was buy a key1.

So here is your shred of information.
    This is hardly a disaster:

Nov - Nov11 - build AAH487
    Dec - Dec5 - build AAI039
    Jan - Jan4 - build AAI470
    Feb - Feb5 - build AAJ051
    Mar - Mar9 - build AAJ934
    Apr - missed
    May - May8 - build AAL158
    Jun - Jul14 - AAM326

But, whatever.
    07-25-17 10:03 PM

Apr - missed
    Jun - Jul14 - AAM326

But, whatever.
    You didn't list July. But whatever. Since the Keyone has been a thing the support is horrible.

When did Nougat get released? When did other similarly priced phones receive the update? Why don't we have it? It's on other BlackBerry Android devices, right? The word is that it isn't coming and in the last several months of update support have been less than stellar.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but recent results and the word on the street are negative.

Don't expect much.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    07-25-17 10:41 PM
    I'd love to be proven wrong, but recent results and the word on the street are negative.

Don't expect much.
    This is a bit more tempered from the post I responded to which stated: "marginal support may continue for them but highly unlikely."
    07-25-17 10:44 PM
    How difficult was it to put the hub and keyboard on? As simple as installing the apps? Are you using the BlackBerry Launcher? I would love to know more about this. Considering it myself. Thanks.
    I have the hub on my new used S7 edge. Works better than on my Priv.

Love the BB software but I'm done with their hardware. I may still download the APK for the BB keyboard.
    07-26-17 11:07 AM
    I have the hub on my new used S7 edge. Works better than on my Priv.

Love the BB software but I'm done with their hardware. I may still download the APK for the BB keyboard.
    Was this just as simple as installing the app?
    07-26-17 11:10 AM
    Reality isn't going to change.

Some people call a phone abandoned if it doesn't get the latest OS version. Others think that security patches for the OS on the phone is sufficient support.

BlackBerry continues to patch it's existing phones on a regular, if not exactly monthly, basis, but says nothing about upgrades to Nougat.

There is no reason to think any of this is going to change. You can accept this reality or not.

Personally, given that the DTEK phones sell for a reasonable price on the used market, I wouldn't hold on to a phone that didn't satisfy me. I'd sell it and get something that I preferred.

Luckily, I have never had that problem. Every phone I've ever bought has met my expectations. I don't think I've been lucky. I just tend to know what I'm buying, and I never make assumptions.

A perfect example would be the BlackBerry PlayBook. I didn't buy it expecting it to have the same apps as an iPad or expecting it to get BB10, even though that was announced as an intention by BlackBerry's management. It wasn't guaranteed, so I discounted it in my evaluation.

I still use my PlayBook daily, and it's been a great performer.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Bertie Bear likes this.
    07-26-17 11:53 AM

This fact alone says it all. You'll give BlackBerry a pass on anything. I had a playbook, but that thing was worthless years ago.
    07-26-17 01:18 PM
    This fact alone says it all. You'll give BlackBerry a pass on anything. I had a playbook, but that thing was worthless years ago.
    LOL. It still does exactly what I bought it for, which is to keep my to do list handy and to let me review downloaded training videos during my 3 hours of commuting each day.

I never thought it would be a general purpose tablet, like the iPad (which I own but don't carry) , so.i wasn't disappointed. Anyone who thought it would have a great App ecosystem was an optimistic BlackBerry fan.

What I find ironic is that, because I never thought it would be successful commercially in the first place (i.e., I'm a skeptic and a realist) I'm giving BlackBerry a "pass."

There was never any reason to think BlackBerry would compete with the consumer electronics giants. I bought niche products from a niche vendor because they met my niche needs.

The comparison I would make is to Alfa Romeo cars. If you buy one expecting a BMW experience, you'll be horribly disappointed, because they are less reliable, and inconsistently designed and built. But if you buy one with your eyes open for what it does well, you'll join the list of Alfa enthusiasts.

It sounds like you expected a lot more from BlackBerry than it was ever going to be able to deliver.

07-26-17 01:30 PM
    LOL. It still does exactly what I bought it for, which is to keep my to do list handy and to let me review downloaded training videos during my 3 hours of commuting each day.

I never thought it would be a general purpose tablet, like the iPad (which I own but don't carry) , so.i wasn't disappointed. Anyone who thought it would have a great App ecosystem was an optimistic BlackBerry fan.

What I find ironic is that, because I never thought it would be successful commercially in the first place (i.e., I'm a skeptic and a realist) I'm giving BlackBerry a "pass."

There was never any reason to think BlackBerry would compete with the consumer electronics giants. I bought niche products from a niche vendor because they met my niche needs.

The comparison I would make is to Alfa Romeo cars. If you buy one expecting a BMW experience, you'll be horribly disappointed, because they are less reliable, and inconsistently designed and built. But if you buy one with your eyes open for what it does well, you'll join the list of Alfa enthusiasts.

It sounds like you expected a lot more from BlackBerry than it was ever going to be able to deliver.

Good for you. I used it plenty and it was fine for a while. But it wasn't promoted as a niche product. The expectation they gave was that it would compete with the ipad and that it would be able to do everything and more. It would be an enterprise solution. Best browser, desktop like browser experience, state of the art OS.

Maybe I'm a sucker for believing them then and again a few months ago when I bought the DTEK60. But I wanted to have faith that they were capable of delivering.

Guess I was wrong. DTEK60 has a delayed, irregular update schedule, despite the promise of day 1 patches. The industry expectation of at least 1 OS update for a flagship ain't gonna happen. Maybe Blackberry can find a big enough market for people with low/no expectations, but when other companies are offering so much more, I find it hard to believe that they will.
    crackberry_geek and giantrobo like this.
    07-26-17 01:51 PM
    Chi-town311 - I'm 100% in agreement with you ....
    07-26-17 03:14 PM
    Me too!
    Hardware can't be beat & the sound quality on the videocam is fantastic. Lots of other uses - it is what you make of it.
    Remains the best £129 I've ever spent on a device.
    07-26-17 03:23 PM
    Good for you. I used it plenty and it was fine for a while. But it wasn't promoted as a niche product. The expectation they gave was that it would compete with the ipad and that it would be able to do everything and more. It would be an enterprise solution. Best browser, desktop like browser experience, state of the art OS.

Maybe I'm a sucker for believing them then and again a few months ago when I bought the DTEK60. But I wanted to have faith that they were capable of delivering.

Guess I was wrong. DTEK60 has a delayed, irregular update schedule, despite the promise of day 1 patches. The industry expectation of at least 1 OS update for a flagship ain't gonna happen. Maybe Blackberry can find a big enough market for people with low/no expectations, but when other companies are offering so much more, I find it hard to believe that they will.
    I have no idea if BlackBerry Mobile / TCL will be successful with BlackBerry devices. On the one hand, they are a consumer electronics company, which BlackBerry never was. On the other hand, they will have to rehabilitate the BlackBerry brand and learn the CRM function that they haven't yet demonstrated or needed in their business as a company that builds to order, rather than to stock.

I would say they have a 33% - 50% chance of still building BlackBerry phones two years from now.

For me, after having spent time with the KEYone, I would be comfortable buying it, but I wouldn't expect anything other than a great device with Nougat and regular patches. If I wanted to be sure to get Android O, I would wait for an announcement from BlackBerry Mobile at least.

I would never try to tell someone else which phone to buy, but it seems like you might be happiest with a Pixel phone, since you want guaranteed OS upgrades.

For me, I prefer the extra screen real estate I get with the KEYone when writing, which is how I use my phone 90% of the time.

07-26-17 03:38 PM
    The Dtek60 does not have July update!
    We received the June update in July.
    My Dtek60 still doesn't have June update.

Razr>BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    07-26-17 05:20 PM
    I have no idea if BlackBerry Mobile / TCL will be successful with BlackBerry devices. On the one hand, they are a consumer electronics company, which BlackBerry never was. On the other hand, they will have to rehabilitate the BlackBerry brand and learn the CRM function that they haven't yet demonstrated or needed in their business as a company that builds to order, rather than to stock.

I would say they have a 33% - 50% chance of still building BlackBerry phones two years from now.

For me, after having spent time with the KEYone, I would be comfortable buying it, but I wouldn't expect anything other than a great device with Nougat and regular patches. If I wanted to be sure to get Android O, I would wait for an announcement from BlackBerry Mobile at least.

I would never try to tell someone else which phone to buy, but it seems like you might be happiest with a Pixel phone, since you want guaranteed OS upgrades.

For me, I prefer the extra screen real estate I get with the KEYone when writing, which is how I use my phone 90% of the time.

Biggest problem with the Keyone is that you still have to rely on BlackBerry for the OS updates and patches. Blackberry hasn't proven that they are up to the task. I have nothing against TCL. The DTEK60 hardware is great, except the battery. Apparently an update to 7.1 would help fix that...
    07-26-17 05:33 PM
    Biggest problem with the Keyone is that you still have to rely on BlackBerry for the OS updates and patches. Blackberry hasn't proven that they are up to the task. I have nothing against TCL. The DTEK60 hardware is great, except the battery. Apparently an update to 7.1 would help fix that...
    Honestly, I have absolutely no issues with Blackberry's OS updates so far. My expectations are that they are released regularly, which they have been. For my level of comfort they are up to the task. If anyone else made a phone that interested me, I would consider it, but no one else does.

My larger issue is that I'm still not sold that Android will be an upgrade for my use case. I bought an Android M phone recently to play around with with the intention of getting a KEYone later this summer. So far, I am unimpressed as a daily driver. Sure it's better than my Z10 in a hundred and one ways, but so far, it's worse in the two or three ways I actually care about to run my business.

07-26-17 05:45 PM
    How difficult was it to put the hub and keyboard on? As simple as installing the apps? Are you using the BlackBerry Launcher? I would love to know more about this. Considering it myself. Thanks.
    I used the cobalt BlackBerry manager to download the apps. It was simple, I found the link in the Android apps section of CB. I like the Google launcher over BB. No problems so far it's quick and the battery lasts longer than the dtek60.
    07-26-17 06:10 PM

Apr - missed
    Jun - Jul14 - AAM326

But, whatever.
    I didn't say a disaster, Your June update that was sent out in July needs quotation marks because not everyone has received it.
    07-26-17 06:14 PM
    This is a bit more tempered from the post I responded to which stated: "marginal support may continue for them but highly unlikely."
    Well what is your definition of marginal? The company touts the best in security, but is 2 months behind on security updates.
    07-26-17 06:18 PM
    Well what is your definition of marginal? The company touts the best in security, but is 2 months behind on security updates.
    I'm curious what the actual work flow is for these updates. Whether BlackBerry is behind or not depends on what work they actually have to do between the time they receive the patches from Google and push them to the servers for release.

Considering that they have made alterations to Android, I have been patient under the assumption that they have to perform additional work and testing before pushing the updates. Otherwise, they could just release them at the same time as Google, more or less.

07-26-17 07:26 PM
    I'm curious what the actual work flow is for these updates. Whether BlackBerry is behind or not depends on what work they actually have to do between the time they receive the patches from Google and push them to the servers for release.

Considering that they have made alterations to Android, I have been patient under the assumption that they have to perform additional work and testing before pushing the updates. Otherwise, they could just release them at the same time as Google, more or less.

Conite will probably know, I'm sure that they do make some tweaks and test before they send it out, but with no communication on what is causing the delay and missed security updates everyone has to make a guess, and when BlackBerry does responds to a question it's buy a key1.
    07-26-17 07:39 PM
    Conite will probably know, I'm sure that they do make some tweaks and test before they send it out, but with no communication on what is causing the delay and missed security updates everyone has to make a guess, and when BlackBerry does responds to a question it's buy a key1.
    OEMs are provided the patched OS about a month prior to the public security bulletin. They then have a month to get it ready for their own devices in order to achieve "zero" day.

However, if a problem comes up, it can take longer than 30 days - sometimes even with an army of developers. Component suppliers may need to be brought in to fix something, and they may not be as timely. As is generally speculated, back in April there may have been an issue between the BlackBerry implementation and with one or more Qualcomm drivers on the 800 series SoC - which prevented both the Priv and DTEK60 from getting the full patch level. They caught up the next month.

We know BlackBerry has been up to its eyeballs with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ OS release, so if this is combined with yet another technical challenge, delays can result.

Stuff happens.
    ptaylor10 likes this.
    07-26-17 09:29 PM
    Guys, don't expect BlackBerry to provide support on your Android devices in a timely manner. They have abandoned their own hardware and support on their own OS and you expect security patches to come on time on a Operating system that is not their own?

****Berry
    07-26-17 10:10 PM
    Guys, don't expect BlackBerry to provide support on your Android devices in a timely manner. They have abandoned their own hardware and support on their own OS and you expect security patches to come on time on a Operating system that is not their own?

****Berry
    One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

If anything, the fact that they didn't pull the cord even earlier on BB10 astonishes me.
    07-26-17 10:16 PM
    DTEK 60
    Thursday 27 July 2017
    9:30:51 AM
    India
    07-26-17 11:00 PM
    07-26-17 11:01 PM
934 ... 3233343536 ...