How different each makes be feel is important to me.

If a friend lies to my face, it is very different that if his clumsiness caused an inadvertent, unintended lie. I would be far more upset about the former, and far more forgiving about the latter.

To each his own.
    Agreed. But if you point out that lie multiple times, I would expect that friend to change his position. If they didn't, Id stop talking to them. After the first incident it stops being unintended in my book.
    07-04-17 12:07 PM
    Agreed. But if you point out that lie multiple times, I would expect that friend to change his position. If they didn't, Id stop talking to them. After the first incident it stops being unintended in my book.
    I'm not absolving BlackBerry - I just think their communication is really just THAT bad.

I don't think there is anyone in a position there, above the fray, to take the corrective action.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-04-17 12:09 PM
    See it how you like to see it. From my point of view, the company is lying about it. Blog posts are clear. Their BBHelp is consistent in saying that they released it.

On top of that, crackberry doesn't care to even mention the delays. They just repeat the same line from BlackBerry. Am I to believe that none of the CrackBerry staff is aware of this oversight?
    There's a difference between misstatements and lying. You seem very quick to believe that BlackBerry is lying. Maybe you're right.

To me, though, considering your evidence that both the CS team AND the blog have the same inaccurate information, it seems to me more likely that the update was checked off internally as published, while never actually going live.

Possibilities:
    1) BlackBerry is lying. There is no update for Pviv60.
    2) BlackBerry is lying. The update for the Priv has not been published yet, but is coming.
    3) The update for the DTEK60 is ready, but not published, and BlackBerry's customer facing group thinks it was already released.
    4) The update for the DTEK60 is not ready, but BlackBerry 's customer facing team thinks it was already released.

Take this for what it's worth, but I worked for two years as the VP of Customer Experience for a company with almost 2 million active Web users, and I regularly received inaccurate information from engineers and project managers about which features were live on our very public site. In almost all cases, they were honest errors, where the development team and the testing/publishing team were not communicating effectively. More than once I had to retract announcements on my blog, and our CS team were stuck giving customers inaccurate information.

I have no idea what's going on at BlackBerry, but my experience leads me to believe it's more likely buffoonery than chicanery.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-04-17 12:10 PM
    BlackBerry makes its boilerplate blog post once a month. The twitter tech probably got the same one. Meh. It is what it is.

Without knowing much more than us, and with BlackBerry not really engaging on anything to do with the DTEKs from a communications perspective, I'm not sure what Bla1ze can really post about.

Until missing security patches becomes the rule rather than the exception, I guess no one else is really too excited about it.

In 2017, the Priv hasn't missed any, the DTEK50 one, and the DTEK60 now two. Hopefully we'll be all caught up in a couple of days. Prior to last month, we were 14 for 15 in 2017.
    Am I supposed to believe that the legends of CrackBerry have no way to communicate with anyone at BlackBerry? They don't know people? You don't think CBK could write an email directly to someone who knows?
    07-04-17 12:52 PM
    Am I supposed to believe that the legends of CrackBerry have no way to communicate with anyone at BlackBerry? They don't know people? You don't think CBK could write an email directly to someone who knows?
    What the contact knows and what he can say in public are two different things. Likewise for Kevin.

I'm not sure what you want to hear though. If the July patch comes in the next few days, June is just water under the bridge (affecting two out of four devices) - chalk it up to a busy May getting the KEYᵒⁿᵉ software out the door.
    Last edited by conite; 07-04-17 at 01:19 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-04-17 12:54 PM
    I assume you understand that Blackberry's interest in CrackBerry is probably much less than its interest in updating the DTEK phones. As a handset fan site, CrackBerry has outlived it's usefulness to BlackBerry, except as a way to shut down its user forums.

TCL, on the other hand, is obviously invested in CrackBerry, but they have nothing to say about the DTEK phones.

I'm curious if anyone with an unlocked DTEK60 still under warranty can get an actual support ticket logged with BlackBerry support.

That would be the best way to get this issue clarified.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-04-17 01:25 PM
    I wouldn't invest in the Dtek60, a 7 month old device that is phased out already and is not slated to get nougat along with spotty security updates is a waste of money. Save up a few more dollars and get a Pixel that will have a guaranteed 2 years of support.
    Trouble is.... said pixel is much more than a few extra dollars.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 09:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yea and the dtek60 is a bargain right loll

We're at the point where even the folks that typically defend BlackBerry are saying - yea, it doesn't make sense for them to invest in products they no longer even sell or profit from. Hardware is done.

It's pretty much still selling for its full MSRP - you'd have to be a huge brand loyalist to shell out $700 CAD after taxes for a phone that will have a questionable warranty (no new devices for replacement or exchange) when you can get a new moto g or another mid ranger for much much less and with more suppport.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-17 10:26 PM
    I'm curious if anyone with an unlocked DTEK60 still under warranty can get an actual support ticket logged with BlackBerry support.
    Which is exactly what BlackBerry support appeared to be attempting with @chi-town311. Chastising a CSR for lying, when they were more than likely only relaying what they were told to say, isn't going to accomplish anything.
    @chi-town311, keep us followed up on the case please.
    07-04-17 11:16 PM
    Yea and the dtek60 is a bargain right loll

We're at the point where even the folks that typically defend BlackBerry are saying - yea, it doesn't make sense for them to invest in products they no longer even sell or profit from. Hardware is done.

It's pretty much still selling for its full MSRP - you'd have to be a huge brand loyalist to shell out $700 CAD after taxes for a phone that will have a questionable warranty (no new devices for replacement or exchange) when you can get a new moto g or another mid ranger for much much less and with more suppport.

Posted via CB10

Does a moto g have a Snapdragon 820? Is a dtek60 a mid ranger? Maybe you should be comparing to a dtek50 which I bought for $260 CAD plus taxes on Black Friday. Yes there are great Android bargains out there, but at its release, the 60 was a great value.

Regardless I was answering a poster whom was specifically referencing the Pixel, nothing else.

No need for support for my dtek50 because it hasn't needed it. Android 6 is good enough. As far as any missed monthly security updates, I'm not too concerned about it.

Flicked via z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-17 12:21 AM
    Does a moto g have a Snapdragon 820? Is a dtek60 a mid ranger? Maybe you should be comparing to a dtek50 which I bought for $260 CAD plus taxes on Black Friday. Yes there are great Android bargains out there, but at its release, the 60 was a great value.

Regardless I was answering a poster whom was specifically referencing the Pixel, nothing else.

No need for support for my dtek50 because it hasn't needed it. Android 6 is good enough. As far as any missed monthly security updates, I'm not too concerned about it.

Flicked via z10.

Posted via CB10
    No it wasn't great value at its release - but if you believe it was, then that's awesome for you and anyone else who decided to get one.

The dtek50 was never $260 cad - it was $299 or $279 at the lowest on amazon. And THAT heavily discounted price made it comparable to the Moto G line (in price, not in value). It's $429 msrp was overpriced. I can't think of any other phone in its "range" that had such poor reviews regarding battery life.

Just like the $649 they wanted for the dtek60 - overpriced. But that's only my opinion - not here to debate over their pricing loll

I'll let the thread get back on topic.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    07-05-17 06:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes but Google guarantees 2 yrs of support. BlackBerry doesn't, so if you want the newest os and up to date security you have to buy a key1 ($540) 6 months after I bought the Dteck60 ($500) and when android O drops I have to buy their next phone ($?) The pixel is $750 do the math.
    Uzi likes this.
    07-05-17 08:09 AM
    Yes but Google guarantees 2 yrs of support. BlackBerry doesn't, so if you want the newest os and up to date security you have to buy a key1 ($540) 6 months after I bought the Dteck60 ($500) and when android O drops I have to buy their next phone ($?) The pixel is $750 do the math.

i like ur analogy though since dtek60 didnt get nougat for sure Keyone will not have android O and will also be skipping security updates occasionally. i wonder if you can also predict who will win next US election..
    07-05-17 08:34 AM
    i like ur analogy though since dtek60 didnt get nougat for sure Keyone will not have android O and will also be skipping security updates occasionally. i wonder if you can also predict who will win next US election..
    Why be an @ss? Because I didn't praise the Key1? Can TCL guarantee that the key1 will get Android O? Google guarantees that the pixel will.
    07-05-17 08:46 AM
    Why be an @ss? Because I didn't praise the Key1? Can TCL guarantee that the key1 will get Android O? Google guarantees that the pixel will.
    TCL has not guaranteed an upgrade to Android O. Neither has any other device manufacturer except Google (Have they actually guaranteed that?).

Don't buy ANY product based on assumptions that are not guaranteed in writing, unless you enjoy disappointment.

Having now used the KEYone , I would be happy with it on Android M for 3-4 years.

07-05-17 09:00 AM
    This is assuming that one buys phones based on the OS, no? I have never purchased a phone solely for the purpose of obtaining the newest OS variation. That seems really odd to me. Therefore, I wouldn't go thru the insanity of buying a DTEK60, then the KeyOne, and then whatever is next. I could understand where buying the Pixel comes with the added benefit of getting those updates. To me though there is no need. I don't long for those updates. Maybe some do. But the added cost of buying the Pixel isn't worth it to me. And besides, I think that it is ugly as sin, at least the back of it.
    07-05-17 09:02 AM
    I was stating that if someone wanted to buy a phone now that had the best chance of getting future updates for a reasonable amount of time Google has the best track record, that is undeniable.
    07-05-17 09:22 AM
    I was stating that if someone wanted to buy a phone now that had the best chance of getting future updates for a reasonable amount of time Google has the best track record, that is undeniable.
    can you kindly explain to me the pros and cons of having a nougat on my smartphone??? Since ur part of the pack complaining about the update can u kindly enlightened me pls..
    07-05-17 09:37 AM
    Absolutely correct, and the corollary to that is, if you are buying any phone BESIDES a Google phone, you shouldn't expect to be upgraded as quickly, or at all, for that matter.

07-05-17 09:49 AM
    can you kindly explain to me the pros and cons of having a nougat on my smartphone??? Since ur part of the pack complaining about the update can u kindly enlightened me pls..
    There is no debate that having the latest OS provides more features and improves security over the previous vanilla version.
    07-05-17 10:06 AM
    TCL has not guaranteed an upgrade to Android O. Neither has any other device manufacturer except Google (Have they actually guaranteed that?).

Don't buy ANY product based on assumptions that are not guaranteed in writing, unless you enjoy disappointment.

Having now used the KEYone , I would be happy with it on Android M for 3-4 years.

07-05-17 10:06 AM
    There is no debate that having the latest OS provides more features and improves security over the previous vanilla version.
    hehe im just making sure he knows what he's fighting for
    07-05-17 10:26 AM
    Just took a quick look at the DTEK50 forums....

Looks like there are some unhappy souls over there, too. Another EOL'd device behind on security patches.
    07-05-17 11:18 AM
    Just took a quick look at the DTEK50 forums....

Looks like there are some unhappy souls over there, too. Another EOL'd device behind on security patches.
    At a minimum, the DTEK50 new build (AAM312) actually exists because it's up on PTCRB already. DTEK60 doesn't show up there because they are not sold through carriers.
    07-05-17 11:25 AM
    Seriously?
    07-05-17 12:03 PM
934 ... 2829303132 ...