To say that BlackBerry handset business is closed is disingenuous at best and quite possibly fraudulent.

Their freaking logo is still on current sales. And the first thing you see when turned on is "BlackBerry Powered by Android".

Stop with the misdirected gibberish about licensing... especially since no one here has actually seen such contract anyway.

They ARE still in the business... just under slightly different arrangements.

And BlackBerry's own web site attempts to prove this!
    They don't exercise control over engineering, manufacturing, distribution, sales, service, or warranties. They license their brand to another company that has total control of everything except the software. If that's your definition of still being in the business, then fine. It's not mine.

The company that I bought my phones from no longer has a hardware manufacturing business, and, once my warranties expire, no longer owes me anything.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-30-17 11:38 AM
    Anybody complaining here about DTEK60, post a price if you want to sell...
    Yes, please. They're awful, abandoned, unsupported pieces of junk, but I'll give you $50 for one in great condition!

06-30-17 11:39 AM
    I guess I'm more skeptical of marketing language than you are. I always recognized the risk that BlackBerry might exit HW and do nothing more than honor warranties, which is their only legal obligation. After all, the CEO gave fair warning that they might exit HW for three years!

I see their continued patching of their Android phones in 2017 as a good faith effort to keep their commitments in a line of business that is closed.

Why should I ever have higher expectations of a product than the written guarantees? That just seems naive to me. I hope for the best but I don't count on it. Any buyer who isn't skeptical is asking to be disappointed.

Nbd, but you might want to add false advertising with intent to deceive?
    Not a lawyer, just play one on CB.
    06-30-17 11:43 AM
    To say that BlackBerry handset business is closed is disingenuous at best and quite possibly fraudulent.

Stop with the misdirected gibberish about licensing...
    Sigh.
    06-30-17 11:52 AM
    Nbd, but you might want to add false advertising with intent to deceive?
    Not a lawyer, just play one on CB.
    Where was the intent? I am pretty sure that BlackBerry intended its Android phone business to be a success when it invested millions in the design, engineering, contract manufacturing, marketing, distribution and sales of its Android phones.

Just because you're disappointed/angry/annoyed doesn't mean BlackBerry did anything but fail at smart phones. The fact that there were buyers who didn't understand that was a distinct likely possibility in 2015-16 is mind-boggling to me.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 06-30-17 at 12:13 PM.
    06-30-17 11:57 AM
    Anybody complaining here about DTEK60, post a price if you want to sell...
    I have a limited edition BlackBerry Dtek60 for sale! This is one of the last remaining phones made by the now defunct BlackBerry.

This is the World’s Most Secure Android Smartphone!

More information can be found at BlackBerry.com/smartphones

The biding is starting at $1,000 usd

Payments via PayPal are accepted
    Last edited by Willieray3; 06-30-17 at 12:43 PM.
    06-30-17 12:12 PM
    Where was the intent? I am pretty sure that BlackBerry intended its Android phone business to be a success when it invested millions in the design, engineering, contract manufacturing, marketing, distribution and sales of its Android phones.

Selling the most secure phones with the latest security updates, Android patches? Just thinking out loud here.

I'll say it one more time, I have totally given up on the N prospect a few months back ( if it comes out all good). But, I do still believe those holding a Priv or newer should receive the security updates sold to them. Not a lot to ask for.

The intent issue is unfolding before our eyes with two months out of eight not getting monthly updates, with every one missed that intent grows imo
    Couver81 likes this.
    06-30-17 12:13 PM
    Selling the most secure phones with the latest security updates, Android patches? Just thinking out loud here.

I'll say it one more time, I have totally given up on the N prospect a few months back ( if it comes out all good). But, I do still believe those holding a Priv or newer should receive the security updates sold to them. Not a lot to ask for.

The intent issue is unfolding before our eyes with two months out of eight not getting monthly updates, with every one missed that intent grows imo
    You can't prove intent by actions taken months after an utterance. LOL. By definition, intent must precede the deception.

06-30-17 12:15 PM
    I have a limited edition BlackBerry Dtek60 for sale! This is one of the last remaining phones made by the now defunct BlackBerry.

This is the World’s Most Secure Android Smartphone!

More information can be found at BlackBerry.com/smartphones

The binding is starting at $1,000 usd

Payments via PayPal are accepted
    As we discussed earlier, Moto G4 Plus is on sale for $270.00 and you're not ready to sell right now? Have you changed your mind? I'm seriously looking to buy DTEK50/60 from people that are not happy with their recent purchases. You told me that you're still waiting until October. I'm looking for now. Thanks anyway though.
    06-30-17 12:17 PM
    As we discussed earlier, Moto G4 Plus is on sale for $270.00 and you're not ready to sell right now? Have you changed your mind? I'm seriously looking to buy DTEK50/60 from people that are not happy with their recent purchases. You told me that you're still waiting until October. I'm looking for now. Thanks anyway though.
    Well if the price is right I'll sell it! I'll use the funds to buy a less secured Pixel and then trade the Pixel in for a less secured Pixel 2 in the fall.
    06-30-17 12:50 PM

Just because you're disappointed/angry/annoyed doesn't mean BlackBerry did anything but fail at smart phones. The fact that there were buyers who didn't understand that was a distinct likely possibility in 2015-16 is mind-boggling to me.

You or anyone else on this board knows the intent, lawyers play with that. False advertising? Time will tell on that one with missed security updates or not.. Hope they follow thru, as I'm sure we all do. Missing the Mark on two out of eight by the end of today is not a good start. We shall see with the won't we.
    06-30-17 05:07 PM
    Reading through this both sides seem to have a point.

Some are posting that BlackBerry has fulfilled their requirements with the DTEK series and aren't obligated to do anything else at this point besides honor the warranty.

Others are upset that a phone that was only released a few short months ago has been essentially neglected and isn't getting the updates that were promised.

I see both sides of the argument, but I don't really know how anyone can defend BB here. If this were a year and half to two year old device then I think there would be some merit to that argument. But its only been out a few months. It was a little different with BB10 because they at least tried for a few years to get things rolling with it. Dropping support for the DTEK phones is seems a little rough on those who just purchased it, especially promising that it would get these regular monthly updates.

Saying "You can just walk away then and not buy another BlackBerry" is true, but it doesn't lessen the sting for those that shelled out money for the phone and aren't getting the support they feel they rightfully deserve. This is exactly the place to air out your grievances. This forum isn't just a "let's all praise BB." Its here to discuss good and bad, and calling people whiners because they have an issue adds nothing to an argument except nonsensical fanboy ramblings.
    giantrobo and kbz1960 like this.
    06-30-17 06:59 PM
    Reading through this both sides seem to have a point.

Some are posting that BlackBerry has fulfilled their requirements with the DTEK series and aren't obligated to do anything else at this point besides honor the warranty.

Others are upset that a phone that was only released a few short months ago has been essentially neglected and isn't getting the updates that were promised.

I see both sides of the argument, but I don't really know how anyone can defend BB here. If this were a year and half to two year old device then I think there would be some merit to that argument. But its only been out a few months. It was a little different with BB10 because they at least tried for a few years to get things rolling with it. Dropping support for the DTEK phones is seems a little rough on those who just purchased it, especially promising that it would get these regular monthly updates.

Saying "You can just walk away then and not buy another BlackBerry" is true, but it doesn't lessen the sting for those that shelled out money for the phone and aren't getting the support they feel they rightfully deserve. This is exactly the place to air out your grievances. This forum isn't just a "let's all praise BB." Its here to discuss good and bad, and calling people whiners because they have an issue adds nothing to an argument except nonsensical fanboy ramblings.
    BlackBerry is not dropping support though. The DTEKs (despite some interruptions) will continue to receive security patches and technical support.

I think the source of frustration for some is solely the lack of a Nougat update. Some claim an ethical requirement to release it, and others claim a legal requirement to release it (based on the claim that the DTEKs are the most secure Android devices - when the KEYᵒⁿᵉ exists).

It seems very much a philosophical debate now.
    06-30-17 07:08 PM
    This is exactly the place to air out your grievances. This forum isn't just a "let's all praise BB." Its here to discuss good and bad, and calling people whiners because they have an issue adds nothing to an argument except nonsensical fanboy ramblings.
    It would be truly odd to praise Blackberry for not updating phones or for being late with patches.

Saying that Blackberry is neither legally or ethically REQUIRED to update the Priv or DTEK phones to Nougat is hardly praising them.

Fanboy ramblings about Blackberry's defunct smartphone business would be ironic, no?
    06-30-17 07:33 PM
    It would be truly odd to praise Blackberry for not updating phones or for being late with patches.

Saying that Blackberry is neither legally or ethically REQUIRED to update the Priv or DTEK phones to Nougat is hardly praising them.
    Agreed, but I also don't think it's ok to say "well they stepped out of the hardware business so if you don't like it just move on." They are still in the handset game and while they aren't making hardware I don't think that lets them off the hook for devices that have been out for such a short period of time.
    06-30-17 07:36 PM
    BlackBerry is not dropping support though. The DTEKs (despite some interruptions) will continue to receive security patches and technical support.

I think the source of frustration for some is solely the lack of a Nougat update. Some claim an ethical requirement to release it, and others claim a legal requirement to release it (based on the claim that the DTEKs are the most secure Android devices - when the KEYᵒⁿᵉ exists).

How do you know that they will continue to receive security patches? They announced that they sent out June's patch but my dtek60 didn't get it, you then said it was late, but now there is only 3 hrs or so left in June and I still don't have it.
    06-30-17 07:38 PM

For the ump-teenth time now... it's NOT about Nougat.

It's the lies... misinformation... and apparent abandonment of those who purchased a device only a few months ago.

Lies about June security patch.
    Lies about still supposedly being for sale... when it isn't.
    Lies about being the most secure Android.

And we can't even get a whiff of anyone even admitting that it just might be an issue. Those who are miffed are just mocked and ridiculed... without facts about agreements that no one has even seen.
    chi-town311 and HughJarsse like this.
    06-30-17 07:39 PM
    Many others complain about Nougat....
    06-30-17 07:43 PM
    Those who are miffed are just mocked and ridiculed...
    Is disagreeing with someone is mocking them and ridiculing them?
    06-30-17 07:46 PM
    Agreed, but I also don't think it's ok to say "well they stepped out of the hardware business so if you don't like it just move on." They are still in the handset game and while they aren't making hardware I don't think that lets them off the hook for devices that have been out for such a short period of time.
    Why isn't it ok to say that Blackberry is out of the hardware business and if you don't like it all you can do is move on?

As I see it, those are the cold, hard facts. That's not me defending or apologizing for Blackberry. It's just reality.

You say that Blackberry is still in the handset game because they've licensed their brand to TCL and they are responsible for the software. Sure, that's true, but their contract with TCL has no bearing on their responsibilities to their legacy customers.

People are entitled to feel any way they choose, but if feeling aggrieved were enough to prove wrong-doing, a lot of divorced people would be in jail.

Blackberry has already walked away from its legacy business, so I just don't see what kind of "punishment" can be exacted on them if they only provide the minimum interpretation of the support they formally agreed to. Sure, you can choose not to buy a TCL phone with the Blackberry brand. But you're kidding yourself if you think Blackberry really cares about that.
    06-30-17 08:01 PM
    Why isn't it ok to say that Blackberry is out of the hardware business and if you don't like it all you can do is move on?

As I see it, those are the cold, hard facts. That's not me defending or apologizing for Blackberry. It's just reality.

You say that Blackberry is still in the handset game because they've licensed their brand to TCL and they are responsible for the software. Sure, that's true, but their contract with TCL has no bearing on their responsibilities to their legacy customers.

People are entitled to feel any way they choose, but if feeling aggrieved were enough to prove wrong-doing, a lot of divorced people would be in jail.

Blackberry has already walked away from its legacy business, so I just don't see what kind of "punishment" can be exacted on them if they only provide the minimum interpretation of the support they formally agreed to. Sure, you can choose not to buy a TCL phone with the Blackberry brand. But you're kidding yourself if you think Blackberry really cares about that.
    Blackberry may not care but you would think TCL would...they are trying to sale phones. Blackberry disdain towards customers who purchased DTEK phones could hurt TCL in the short term. It will be hard to refer someone to TCL Blackberry branded phones in the future.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-30-17 08:15 PM

Come on, calling devices that are 7 months old "Legacy" is a major stretch. BB10 users are Legacy users. People who purchased Android phones with the BlackBerry name on them are in no way "legacy" just because BB said they don't want to actually manufacture the devices anymore. The phones are called BlackBerry's. If BlackBerry was truly out of the handset game the phones would be called "The TCL KEYone" with an annotation that they are running BlackBerry's version of Android. Their name is on the device and saying they aren't responsible anymore is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. When their name is no longer on a device and its not being marketed as a BlackBerry then that's when they are truly out of the handset game.
    06-30-17 08:17 PM
    If y'all have an issue with a post, report it. If you'd like to discuss the trusted member program, you are welcome to PM me, howarmat or James Falconer. Do not clutter a thread with this crap!

Cleaned up, now carry on about the DTEK60, and that only please.
    06-30-17 08:17 PM
    I have two Alcatel devices, the Ideal and the Allura. Nothing great when compared to my DTEK50/60 phones. I agree that I'd like Nougat, but I'll buy whatever BBMo is selling over the other Android OEMs. Why punish myself over something like Nougat update? If Nougat is that important to me, I'll just buy a KEYone or new slab from BBMo coming soon...

They're just phones and we're not talking big money here..... I mean I bought my son an IPhone 7 as biannual gift, ugh!!!!!! He passes the old phones down to his sisters..... I guess from that perspective, it's not too bad...still we're not talking car/truck money.

Life is too short to be upset over a phone.
    I bought a car for less than the PRIV retailed new and daily driven it for over a decade now to work. All you're saying is " Hey guys I make enough money that I don't give a **** if my purchases end up being abandonedware and poorly supported"

Now I'm more fortunate than most people to have expendable income to blow, but a whole lot of people don't. To some people the 500+ they spend on their phone is quite a large amount and they want to see support for it. And when it doesn't get supported the way they want.... It's totally understandable that they are not happy, especially when every flagship released successful or failed around the same time is still getting love. its shameful that people who dumped that much money on the DTEK series are getting the shaft.
    Last edited by giantrobo; 06-30-17 at 08:43 PM.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-30-17 08:32 PM
    Come on, calling devices that are 7 months old "Legacy" is a major stretch. BB10 users are Legacy users. People who purchased Android phones with the BlackBerry name on them are in no way "legacy" just because BB said they don't want to actually manufacture the devices anymore. The phones are called BlackBerry's. If BlackBerry was truly out of the handset game the phones would be called "The TCL KEYone" with an annotation that they are running BlackBerry's version of Android. Their name is on the device and saying they aren't responsible anymore is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. When their name is no longer on a device and its not being marketed as a BlackBerry then that's when they are truly out of the handset game.
    I was using the term "legacy" to characterize discontinued products for a line of business with no future revenues projected. The products themselves, obviously, are still very much current, as both the hardware and Marshmallow OS are very much mainstream products in the prime of their usable lives.

But I don't think that trying to blur the lines between the responsibilities of a device manufacturer/seller and a brand licensor is accurate. They really have very little to do with one another in terms of relationship to the customer. Blackberry is 100% responsible for all post-sale support for the DTEK 60, but TCL is 100% responsible for all post-sale support for the KEYone. They are truly separate, from a responsibility standpoint.
    giantrobo likes this.
    06-30-17 08:33 PM
934 ... 2526272829 ...