It's simple, if you feel aggrieved or let down with a feeling of lack of support for the DTEK devices just don't buy another Blackberry product. It's a valid sentiment and one you are entitled to. If I feel aggrieved with a product I've bought I often choose to find an alternative.
    The conversation has certainly gone crazy from my initial post. It really doesn't matter to me who makes the phone or who is responsible, legally or otherwise. Reading through, it is kind of astounding where people went with their posts.

I just thought, and still think, that it is odd that Blackberry, on its website, still advertises the Dtek60 with links on where to buy it in spite of the fact you can't actually buy it there. Yes, I heard Chen say BB was exiting hardware. So why don't they just cop to it on the website and be done with it? Since they're all about software now, surely they have someone who could update their site.

I don't expect to be important to BB, so I don't feel aggrieved and I don't suggest anyone else should be. I just feel like there isn't anything for me except what I consider to be inferior phones. And I guess it just surprised me that this one went so quickly. Chosen is right, it really is simple, I think.
    chi-town311, Couver81 and xandros9 like this.
    06-29-17 07:38 PM
    Except that they also lost their corporate customers as well. At least the ones that don't need military level security.

Don't forget that it was their handsets that drove people to use their software, not the other way around. Companies didn't install bes because it was superior, they did it because it was the only way to use the BlackBerry devices.

I hope people can see, that even though they've been pushing security and software, they're losing business in that realm too.

I never knew this but apparently good technology wasn't even doing that well to begin with...thus the easy sale for much less than what was offered to good the year before.

I think once BlackBerry gets into an ok healthy shape, they're going to be bought out. I don't have faith anymore that they can grow anything at this point, people in IT apparently also view bes like how consumers view BlackBerry phones... that ain't good loll
    Excellent points... especially the part about handsets driving customers to BES... not the other way around.

Sick and tired of hearing that BlackBerry's historical expertise is EMM.

That is simply not the case.
    06-29-17 07:50 PM
    I look at it this way; I've been a BlackBerry loyalist for all most 15 years, I've bought almost every single BlackBerry released. Back in the day you couldn't conduct business without one. Over the years apple came, Google came, palm came, etc. I stayed loyal to BlackBerry, when BB10 launch I left Verizon to go to Tmobile because they got the Z10 first, I was standing in line on launch day with 2 other guys lol. I bought the Z30, leap, classic, Priv, and the Dtek60 on launch day directly from BlackBerry. I was forced to go to android when BlackBerry did, and since then I've discovered I actually enjoy it, it's no where near as good as bb10, but hey its my only choice. BlackBerry serviced and supported my previous handsets excellently and that's why I always returned for the next model. Now that they have exited the handset business and dropped support for my 7 month old device I'm pissed. I know that they licensed their name and logo to tcl, closed their support forum and redirecting everyone to cb for support. I'm told not to blame tcl for what BlackBerry did but WTF? I'm supposed to buy a K1 and just smile and forget about the $500 I spent 7 months ago so I can continue to get support?
    HughJarsse likes this.
    06-29-17 07:54 PM
    Excellent points... especially the part about handsets driving customers to BES... not the other way around.

Sick and tired of hearing that BlackBerry's historical expertise is EMM.

That is simply not the case.
    If handsets drive EMM, how do you explain the fact that NO EMM software providers have devices?

AirWatch, BlackBerry UEM, MobileIron, Citrix, SAP (in order of market share).
    06-29-17 08:04 PM
    If handsets drive EMM, how do you explain the fact that NO EMM software providers have devices?

I'm pretty sure that he was referring to the past, when BlackBerry handsets were the best way to get email on the go and they only worked with BES.
    06-29-17 08:18 PM

That's not the point... and is, in fact backwards logic.

The point is that BlackBerry's experience was handsets. Always has been. Just because they required BES (which was a quite simpleton product anyway) does NOT make them experts in EMM.

The fact that others became experts in EMM without handsets just shows they actually HAVE those core competencies... BlackBerry does not and will fail in that arena.

Thanks for helping prove that point.
    06-29-17 08:37 PM
    Yes, BlackBerry hardened-Marshmallow is very likely less secure than BlackBerry hardened-Nougat.

However, depending on the attack vector, it is arguably better than vanilla-Nougat.

Are you suggesting that the DTEK needs to be updated forever in order to maintain the "world's most secure Android device" designation, or else fail the promise at the time of the original sale?
    No they are just trying to find any hole to poke in your responses to justify them being so emotional about a os upgrade. This is my 3rd or 4th day on my dtek60 and I don't see what the big deal as far as all the tears for Nougat. It runs perfectly fine (imo) as is. But I bought my dtek60 to enjoy it in the state it was when I bought it, not for what it might (or might not) do in the future.
    06-29-17 08:41 PM
    I look at it this way; I've been a BlackBerry loyalist for all most 15 years, I've bought almost every single BlackBerry released. Back in the day you couldn't conduct business without one. Over the years apple came, Google came, palm came, etc. I stayed loyal to BlackBerry, when BB10 launch I left Verizon to go to Tmobile because they got the Z10 first, I was standing in line on launch day with 2 other guys lol. I bought the Z30, leap, classic, Priv, and the Dtek60 on launch day directly from BlackBerry. I was forced to go to android when BlackBerry did, and since then I've discovered I actually enjoy it, it's no where near as good as bb10, but hey its my only choice. BlackBerry serviced and supported my previous handsets excellently and that's why I always returned for the next model. Now that they have exited the handset business and dropped support for my 7 month old device I'm pissed. I know that they licensed their name and logo to tcl, closed their support forum and redirecting everyone to cb for support. I'm told not to blame tcl for what BlackBerry did but WTF? I'm supposed to buy a K1 and just smile and forget about the $500 I spent 7 months ago so I can continue to get support?
    People keep saying BlackBerry "dropped their support" where, how, and when did they supposedly do that?
    06-29-17 08:46 PM
    No they are just trying to find any hole to poke in your responses to justify them being so emotional about a os upgrade. This is my 3rd or 4th day on my dtek60 and I don't see what the big deal as far as all the tears for Nougat. It runs perfectly fine (imo) as is. But I bought my dtek60 to enjoy it in the state it was when I bought it, not for what it might (or might not) do in the future.
    A genuine response would recognize that most of us are ticked about the poor monthly security updates... having missed almost 30% on the DTEK60. Add to that the fact that now BlackBerry is lying about it.

And add to that the fact that BlackBerry is lying on their website as if DTEK60 are still for sale... when they've obviously been discontinued.

It has been pointed out again and again that we're not primarily talking about Nougat.
    HughJarsse and xandros9 like this.
    06-29-17 08:51 PM
    Reading through all 25 pages of this thread, I'm still trying to see how the dtek60 was "abandoned". It's running late on the security patch (no big deal, they've missed a date once before only to double up on the next month, all our phones lived) Nougat will or will not come to it (still not the end of the world actually) the only thing you can really say is its not for sale anymore. It was well known BlackBerry was leaving the hardware biz even before the dtek50 came out (if I remember correctly) so what did you think would happen once stock ran out (did you think they were going to make more when they were trying to get out the handset biz?)? BlackBerry mobile is rumored to be dropping the replacements to both dteks sometime this year so if you're looking for the latest os, there you go. If the dteks do get the update, then there you go.
    06-29-17 08:55 PM
    There we have it! Exactly the situation I'm in and all who purchased this... hello! Wasn't this what this thread is about?
    Donald Trump.... errr conite I mean and all others can't shut up about TCL being so amazing . There's a problem with support for the dtek60 etc and we just wanted to discuss this and perhaps whine a little.

Why can't you accept this Donald? Somebody got treated badly by a retail sector and you think it's just ok and good business practice. To hell with all the customers from the last 17 years or so we just want the small smattering of customers that want to buy a KEYone, we don't care about them anyway and am going to stop supporting the KEYone in 4 months guaranteed. This is not ok for blackberry, Not TCL! We get it Donald TCL has nothing to do with bb.

if blackberry is just in the software biz now since when does monthly security updates, as promised (not nougat), suddenly become hardware and not their responsibility? Now don't tell me the sky is Green Donald, we all know that is a lie, we also know security updates are software and should be easy to push out to these devices running their software.
    06-29-17 08:58 PM
    A genuine response would recognize that most of us are ticked about the poor monthly security updates... having missed almost 30% on the DTEK60. Add to that the fact that now BlackBerry is lying about it.

And add to that the fact that BlackBerry is lying on their website as if DTEK60 are still for sale... when they've obviously been discontinued.

It has been pointed out again and again that we're not primarily talking about Nougat.
    I was just making sure what the actual problem is as this has gone on for 25 pages so opinions/complaints have varied. In that case, what's the big deal over a security patch that's late? It happened once before and they just doubled up on the next month (and I think it came a day or 2 early if I'm not mistaken). Everyone's phone still worked as normal, no one's phone got hacked, u press answer on a phone call your call connected, you press send on your email it went through, life went on. Outside of Google (which pixle and nexus are basically in house and no other vendor should be able to compete) BlackBerry is the best on the updates. And I'm not responding to belittle anyone, or stir the pot, I've been in the Crack berry community for long time and appreciate everyone here, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the emotions and if anything calm a few folks down.
    06-29-17 09:09 PM
    There we have it! Exactly the situation I'm in and all who purchased this... hello! Wasn't this what this thread is about?
    Donald Trump.... errr conite I mean and all others can't shut up about TCL being so amazing . There's a problem with support for the dtek60 etc and we just wanted to discuss this and perhaps whine a little.

Why can't you accept this Donald? Somebody got treated badly by a retail sector and you think it's just ok and good business practice. To hell with all the customers from the last 17 years or so we just want the small smattering of customers that want to buy a KEYone, we don't care about them anyway and am going to stop supporting the KEYone in 4 months guaranteed. This is not ok for blackberry, Not TCL! We get it Donald TCL has nothing to do with bb.

if blackberry is just in the software biz now since when does monthly security updates, as promised (not nougat), suddenly become hardware and not their responsibility? Now don't tell me the sky is Green Donald, we all know that is a lie, we also know security updates are software and should be easy to push out to these devices running their software.
    What's My President Trump got to do with this?
    06-29-17 09:10 PM
    So if in fact TCL is separate entity why on Blackberry's site just a couple month's back do they list all the phones together.(Highlights added by me.

This is all part of their (TCL & Blackberry) plan of deceit to garner sales.

When you choose an Android by BlackBerry device, whether PRIV, DTEK50, DTEK60, the upcoming KEYone and Aurora, here are some of the security features you can count on to keep your device, your data, and your privacy safe:

The Hardware Root of Trust, which installs security keys directly on the processor at manufacturing time
    A secure boot process that protects the operating system against tampering by malware or other threats that leverages the Hardware Root of Trust
    A hardened Linux kernel that modifies Android to reduce its attack surface
    Certicom FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic libraries to ensure that it satisfies the security requirements for protecting unclassified information as defined by the Federal Information Processing Standards
    BlackBerry Secure Compound, which creates a special trusted execution environment for sensitive data and apps
    The DTEK by BlackBerry application that allows users to see what is happening on their smartphone and helps to improve overall security health
    A commitment to rapid Android patching to improve functionality and close security gaps
    The whole article is here: Google Names BlackBerry PRIV an Android Security Leader in Annual Report | Inside BlackBerry
    Last edited by Fordberry; 06-29-17 at 09:55 PM.
    crackberry_geek and xandros9 like this.
    06-29-17 09:22 PM
    Alright let's all calm down a bit. We're all disappointed with the way the dteks and the priv were handled. But who knows, maybe there's something in the pipeline still. No one really knows for sure at this point.
    06-29-17 09:29 PM
    No reason for name calling. Can we not have a mature discussion?

I don't know if TCL will be amazing. I just know they aren't BlackBerry, so this odd transference of negative emotion from BlackBerry to TCL might deserve a sober second thought. All I know about TCL, is that I liked the build of the DTEKs, and I like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. I have said repeatedly that I have no idea what the future holds for updates and support from TCL - but I think their desire to make inroads into this market over the long term seems encouraging. That's the extent of my thoughts towards TCL. Period.

As far as the BlackBerry DTEKs are concerned, they continue to receive security patches (with the occasional hiccup) and technical support. All the pitchforks and torches seem a bit extreme to me. If BlackBerry stops delivering mostly regular patches prior to the fall of 2018, then shame on them - I think that would be wrong. But I see no indication of that scenario at the moment. And I certainly wouldn't hold TCL to account for BlackBerry's actions.
    Last edited by conite; 06-29-17 at 09:59 PM.
    06-29-17 09:31 PM
    looooool take it easy sell ur dtek60 to me on a bargain price since its a trash not being updated by blackberry with delayed security updates and stop whining and go to samsung and buy s8 hahaha... im looking for a cheap dtek60 for now.. since there's no keyone available... i forgot to check my passport gosh it doesnt work right now because it states blackberry leave the hardware business already hahaha
    06-29-17 10:18 PM
    But i do agree that why is this even not on top of trending list hahahaha....... For the record i hate how blackberry/tcl particularly cistulli handled keyone launch so i hope i wont see any "you defend blackberry because ur a titled member here in crackberry "
    06-29-17 10:20 PM
    What's My President Trump got to do with this?
    Accumulated salt from November 8 spilling over.

Besides, he can't be Donald Trump when I am Donald Trump.
    06-29-17 10:42 PM
    I was just making sure what the actual problem is as this has gone on for 25 pages so opinions/complaints have varied. In that case, what's the big deal over a security patch that's late? It happened once before and they just doubled up on the next month (and I think it came a day or 2 early if I'm not mistaken). Everyone's phone still worked as normal, no one's phone got hacked, u press answer on a phone call your call connected, you press send on your email it went through, life went on. Outside of Google (which pixle and nexus are basically in house and no other vendor should be able to compete) BlackBerry is the best on the updates. And I'm not responding to belittle anyone, or stir the pot, I've been in the Crack berry community for long time and appreciate everyone here, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the emotions and if anything calm a few folks down.
    Now that you've made sure, sit back and enjoy the ride big.
    06-30-17 12:29 AM
    Alright let's all calm down a bit. We're all disappointed with the way the dteks and the priv were handled. But who knows, maybe there's something in the pipeline still. No one really knows for sure at this point.
    You are right, I've been a little pissed too. But can only stay that way for a little bit and it is know ones fault on here for sure. Other than a few major excuse makers and defenders ticking me off and not getting it, all is good on here. I will continue to come back for all my ranting needs..lol....But I do think some on here know a lot more than the say, just reading between the lines.
    06-30-17 12:39 AM
    looooool take it easy sell ur dtek60 to me on a bargain price since its a trash not being updated by blackberry with delayed security updates and stop whining and go to samsung and buy s8 hahaha... im looking for a cheap dtek60 for now.. since there's no keyone available... i forgot to check my passport gosh it doesnt work right now because it states blackberry leave the hardware business already hahaha
    Get a job and buy the K1, it's available on Amazon right now in the US
    06-30-17 05:32 AM
    There is your "Best in class security" with a C- grade on updates
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-30-17 05:54 AM
    Get a job and buy the K1, it's available on Amazon right now in the US
    well yeah I will buy keyone as soon as the unlocked version is available instead of whining here.. I learned that whining will not help my cause. I remember complaining about how I was pissed of cistulli and the gang for the keyone launch delay.. I checked the facts while i have a point no whining can make a keyone so instead of whining I have no options but to wait. If u want a direct response from BlackBerry why dont u send an email directly to them of ur grievances. Not even blaize can help u out not even kevin. Accept the fate throw ur dtek60 away buy a samsung and smile or live a life with hatred towards a brand that will never listen to you because they already left the hardware business

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 05:54 AM
    well yeah I will buy keyone as soon as the unlocked version is available instead of whining here.. I learned that whining will not help my cause. I remember complaining about how I was pissed of cistulli and the gang for the keyone launch delay.. I checked the facts while i have a point no whining can make a keyone so instead of whining I have no options but to wait. If u want a direct response from BlackBerry why dont u send an email directly to them of ur grievances. Not even blaize can help u out not even kevin. Accept the fate throw ur dtek60 away buy a samsung and smile or live a life with hatred towards a brand that will never listen to you because they already left the hardware business

Posted via CB10
    Last I checked this is a place for discussions. BlackBerry has directed support for the Dtek60 to CB so guess what that's why I'm here. Unlocked K1 is available on Amazon. See this is a place to help people and I helped you, go buy your k1 and choose 1 day shipping and you can have it tomorrow!
    06-30-17 06:07 AM
934 ... 2324252627 ...