Reality check, 3 more pages of posts on this forum, yet it still isn't trending...
    06-28-17 10:51 AM
    Reality check, 3 more pages of posts on this forum, yet it still isn't trending...
    Yah... this whole place turning into just a shill for johnny.
    06-28-17 10:54 AM
    I have been following this for a couple of days now and it seems to me that an easy fix would be for TCL (Blackberry Mobile) take over pushing the software updates out to the cloned TCL products DTEK50/60 that have been discontinued by Blackberry. NO?
    06-28-17 11:00 AM
    It's Conite 's doing, Kevin won't let him put anything trending that doesn't have Key1 in the title. 😁

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    Distinctly giving you the shaft
    chi-town311 and HughJarsse like this.
    06-28-17 11:02 AM
    Sure. But it's TCL that is selling you the 2 year burger. BlackBerry only contributes the name Big Mac and the special sauce. It's up to TCL to make appropriate arrangements to make sure the sauce stays fresh - and that's only between them and BlackBerry.
    No - I bought a phone from BlackBerry before they had a "special sauce" relationship with TCL. and BlackBerry is letting their own special sauce go bad because they stopped selling phones and don't care about me any more. Well guess what, now I don't want their special sauce any more, even if it is coming through a new partnership with TCL, cause I think it will go bad regardless of who's in charge. I don't trust BLACKBERRY. There is nothing that is going to make be believe that they would treat their relationship with TCL any differently. If things go bad, they will stop supporting the device, even if it means breaking the agreement. They broke the implicit agreement of providing "the most secure device" with their DTEK60 customers, didn't they? Old OS = insecure. Old patch = insecure.

Also - your little summary of updates misses the obvious trend. As of late, the delays have been growing. over the past 4 months, they are shooting 50%.
    06-28-17 11:03 AM
    Yah... this whole place turning into just a shill for johnny.
    I speak for me. I haven't insulted you.
    06-28-17 11:04 AM
    Yes, BlackBerry Ltd. is out of the device business. Conite made that clear. But BlackBerry Ltd. is the licensor and the three current device makers he mentioned are the licensees. With all due respect, I disagree that BlackBerry Ltd. is the customer. The three licensees are, in a sense that they are putting out products that have attached to them certain branding and other intellectual property owned by BlackBerry Ltd.

I think TCL & BlackBerry Mobile have an obligation to protect the IP, including the brand, because I think it makes sense that BlackBerry Ltd. is getting a cut of each BlackBerry-branded/TCL-made device sold. BlackBerry Ltd. doesn't want its rep in the industry soiled, or its earnings to tank. Regardless of what you call it, both sides have their obligations under their deal. Perhaps BlackBerry Ltd. should step in to at least help with any software issues related to the problems with unlocked KEYONE'S, but I digress.

As many of you know, manufacturing of recent BlackBerry Ltd. BB10 phones were outsourced to subcontractors like Foxconn. So it's fair to say that in a vertically integrated way (similar to Apple and its iPhone) BlackBerry Ltd. was the ultimate manufacturer of its BB10 devices. But that's in the past.

Now, BlackBerry Ltd. has distanced itself from hardware, and is focused on the software it provides to its enterprise customers and licensees of the BlackBerry Ltd. IP.

IMO, TCL and its distribution/sales entity BlackBerry Mobile have been solely responsible for the future of BlackBerry devices here in North America ever since it purchased the Mercury design. Future DTEK slab devices are in the works, too. And it should be accountable for any snafus in distribution. I spoke with one of the TCL higher ups at a recent CB meetup, and sense the Company is doing its best to forge new relationships with North American carriers.

IMO the launch of unlocked KEYone devices was hurried, without smooth device operation on the networks of American carriers, but all parties involved are working on fixing that stat. Methinks that fix could coincide with an eventual KEYone adoption by the three major US carriers soon.

Sprint will be the test all eyes will be looking at. This scenario reminds me exactly of the launch of the Palm Pre in the US when it debuted only on the Sprint network. BlackBerry Mobile is a young company, and I look forward to watching it grow up fast!

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    06-28-17 11:22 AM
    No - I bought a phone from BlackBerry before they had a "special sauce" relationship with TCL. and BlackBerry is letting their own special sauce go bad because they stopped selling phones and don't care about me any more. Well guess what, now I don't want their special sauce any more, even if it is coming through a new partnership with TCL, cause I think it will go bad regardless of who's in charge. I don't trust BLACKBERRY. There is nothing that is going to make be believe that they would treat their relationship with TCL any differently. If things go bad, they will stop supporting the device, even if it means breaking the agreement. They broke the implicit agreement of providing "the most secure device" with their DTEK60 customers, didn't they? Old OS = insecure. Old patch = insecure.

Also - your little summary of updates misses the obvious trend. As of late, the delays have been growing. over the past 4 months, they are shooting 50%.
    This is true! If BlackBerry crapped on millions of customers (ok I'm exaggerating thousands maybe?) What would stop them from crapping on its current 3 customers, as you say Conite

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    06-28-17 11:27 AM
    This is true! If BlackBerry crapped on millions of customers (ok I'm exaggerating thousands maybe?) What would stop them from crapping on its current 3 customers, as you say Conite

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    Because Blackberry now has legal, contractual obligations to the licensees.
    06-28-17 11:30 AM
    But BlackBerry Ltd. is the licensor and the three current device makers he mentioned are the licensees. With all due respect, I disagree that BlackBerry Ltd. is the customer. The three licensees are

Perhaps BlackBerry Ltd. should step in to at least help with any software issues related to the problems with unlocked KEYONE'S, but I digress.
    I've always argued that the three licencees are now BlackBerry's only software customers for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Aurora, and all future BlackBerry-branded devices going forward.

And BlackBerry is absolutely working on KEYᵒⁿᵉ OS builds - that is their only obligation in all of this.
    06-28-17 11:35 AM
    How do you know that? Have you seen the contracts? It may simply say we will build it and you will sell it.

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    06-28-17 11:39 AM
    We presume. I don't have the agreement. That being said, everything has its price. If they are wasting resources providing updates to a phone that no one is using, it might not be worth the licensing revenue.
    06-28-17 11:43 AM
    We presume. I don't have the agreement. That being said, everything has its price. If they are wasting resources providing updates to a phone that no one is using, it might not be worth the licensing revenue.
    Sure. You'd have to weigh that against the costs associated with breach of contract, and whatever clause TCL put in there to handle such an event.
    06-28-17 11:47 AM
    How do you know that? Have you seen the contracts? It may simply say we will build it and you will sell it.

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    For crying out loud, selling what? Blackberry no longer has sales teams.They no longer have a distribution network. They no longer have support staff for future devices. TCL is doing all of that.

BlackBerry has a small team of developers who pump out OS builds for license devices every month. That's it. That's all they do.
    06-28-17 11:51 AM
    For crying out loud, selling what? Blackberry no longer has sales teams.They no longer have a distribution network. They no longer have support staff for future devices. TCL is doing all of that.

BlackBerry has a small team of developers who pump out OS builds for license devices every month. That's it. That's all they do.
    And they stink at doing that..

Still waiting on the June update and nougat . Pretty soon it will be waiting on July update and Oreo

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    Bee Gee likes this.
    06-28-17 11:56 AM
    And they stink at doing that..

Still waiting on the June update and nougat . Pretty soon it will be waiting on July update and Oreo

Distinctly different.
    Distinctly BlackBerry
    I suspect that BlackBerry's obligations to TCL has given the KEYᵒⁿᵉ priority with the OS development teams over the last month or two. Which would explain why Blackberry's own device patches have been delayed.
    06-28-17 12:02 PM
    In all honesty I struggle to fathom that you honestly believe that.
    Why it's the correct factual relationship - if you buy a keyone you have no legal relationship with blackberry.
    06-28-17 12:04 PM
    I suspect that BlackBerry's obligations to TCL has given the KEYᵒⁿᵉ priority with the OS development teams over the last month or two. Which would explain why Blackberry's own device patches have been delayed.
    Well that and the dtek50 and 60 sold in such low numbers that it makes no business sense to update.

Someone is going to shout "loyal followers" - sorry there are too few of you to matter - that's why they exited hardware and shuttered the store.
    06-28-17 12:09 PM
    Well that and the dtek50 and 60 sold in such low numbers that it makes no business sense to update.
    This is true, but I still see patches continuing for a while yet.
    06-28-17 12:10 PM
    Someone is going to shout "loyal followers" - sorry there are too few of you to matter - that's why they exited hardware and shuttered the store.
    "I bought both DTEKS, the Priv, the Passport, etc" can be spun two ways. What the customer means is "I bought all of these things from you so I expect prolonged software support", what the vendor hears is "I'll buy anything".
    cgk and anon(9803228) like this.
    06-28-17 12:13 PM
    [QUOTE=HughJarsse;12942687]And blinding, unswerving unalterable 'loyalty to the brand' (whatever they may morph into!)
    Coupled with an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude to those who have a grievance, rather than at least TRYING to see things from people who have been 'shafted' by BB, and armed with the phrases 'Blackberry will do what Blackberry wants to do' & 'Blackberry will say what Blackberry wants to say' , and the famous 'but it's not Blackberry anymore, it's TCL, a totally different scenario' as the answer when all 'logic' fails....
    As I have repeatedly stated, UK & EU 'customers' have been 'shafted' from the word go, by BB, who it appears deliberately set about selling devices they knew they were going to 'dump' even before they went on sale, and, repeatedly sent updates out late, sometimes up to a month late.. and, refuse to even admit that there will be nothing for Dtek's except a few later and later updates.
    This for a pair of phones not even out of their 12 month 'warranty' period!!
    (and the advice on here? buy a Keyone!!)[/QUOTnews

I think you forgot one...If you link an article that goes against the BlackBerry excuse making defenders it is called "fake news".
    When you call something fake news or fake story you loose ALL credibility to many one this board. He can toe that line if he wants, with that comes the deterioration of trust and credibility of the words he writes.
    06-28-17 12:14 PM
    "I bought both DTEKS, the Priv, the Passport, etc" can be spun two ways. What the customer means is "I bought all of these things from you so I expect prolonged software support", what the vendor hears is "I'll buy anything".
    I remember the heady days when someone started a thread suggesting we sent food and money to the BB10 team for encourage.
    06-28-17 12:16 PM
    This is true, but I still see patches continuing for a while yet.
    Security patches for sure - with a maximum of June 2019 (which is two years from the last sale of inventory direct from blackberry - Chen said in the earnings last week that would be this week).
    06-28-17 12:18 PM
    If you have a UK warranty that covers the hardware works out of the box - it has nothing to do with software updates.

Android devices should always be bought on the basis that what you get is all you will ever have.
    Huh?
    06-28-17 12:24 PM
    I've always argued that the three licencees are now BlackBerry's only software customers for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, Aurora, and all future BlackBerry-branded devices going forward.

And BlackBerry is absolutely working on KEYᵒⁿᵉ OS builds - that is their only obligation in all of this.
    Conite, I understand where you're coming from when you say BlackBerry Ltd. is the customer, because it's providing the particular Android OS to the licensees. Good to hear it's working closely on the software updates.

As an aside, at a recent CB meetup I asked CBK to see if he can convince BlackBerry Ltd. to provide Android system font options, as Samsung and LG. I've pitched the BlackBerry 10 system font, Slate, as the default over Roboto or whatever BlackBerry Android OS currently has. At least visually the UI can resemble BB10's.

And TCL needs to do its part in ironing out network compatibility issues with the unlocked KEYones in the US. As for BlackBerry Mobile, keep shmoozing the carriers!

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    06-28-17 12:30 PM
934 ... 1314151617 ...