It is 100% TCL's product to support. The period of support is solely determined by the terms they have made with BlackBerry. BlackBerry is obligated to fulfill its legal requirements under the contract.
    And how long is that? Hopefully it's longer than what they provided to the Dtek series.
    06-27-17 08:01 AM
    And how long is that? Hopefully it's longer than what they provided to the Dtek series.
    Go ask BBMo. Since BB is getting paid by them for support, they don't mind. They left hardware to make it someone else's problem and now it's someone else's problem. TCL/BBMo has the resources, they're a much bigger company.
    06-27-17 08:05 AM
    Go ask BBMo. Since BB is getting paid by them for support, they don't mind. They left hardware to make it someone else's problem and now it's someone else's problem. TCL/BBMo has the resources, they're a much bigger company.
    I can't, support for the Dtek60 is directed to blackberry and crackberry lol
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    06-27-17 08:10 AM
    I can't, support for the Dtek60 is directed to blackberry and crackberry lol
    And so WR3, you have your answer...like BB10 getting dropped, we'll all get through it.
    06-27-17 08:17 AM
    The cost to develop nougat for the Priv and dtek series has to be minimal, they already have it for the key1. No one is going to buy a $500 + phone from a company that has a history of dropping support 6 months after they buy it.
    Correct... and what folks don't understand is this -> If a company can't be trusted, enterprise customers aren't going to buy anything from them either.

It's still really simple here. It's not about the math... or any silly excuse about licensing.

It's about reputation. johnny doesn't understand that... and because of it... BBRY is likely blowing even the last remaining chance for anyone to be interested in buying them.

It will be over soon... before FY 2019.
    06-27-17 08:21 AM
    Correct... and what folks don't understand is this -> If a company can't be trusted, enterprise customers aren't going to buy anything from them either.
    There's unlikely to be a single enterprise customer who knows anything about the DTEK60 - let alone if it got a Nougat update or not.
    06-27-17 08:24 AM

It's still really simple here. It's not about the math... or any silly excuse about licensing.

It's about reputation. johnny doesn't understand that... and because of it... BBRY is likely blowing even the last remaining chance for anyone to be interested in buying them.

It will be over soon... before FY 2019.
    One thing we can agree on, it will be over soon. Another company will buy them by 2020. Institutional holders have been driving all these changes and give JC like 95% support. They're backing him and he's doing what makes them and future buyers happy. This whole Nougat thing doesn't register with ANYONE that matters...
    06-27-17 08:26 AM
    There's unlikely to be a single enterprise customer who knows anything about the DTEK60 - let alone if it got a Nougat update or not.
    I doubt that, the Dtek series were marketed to enterprise customers and they will know that support has stopped.
    06-27-17 08:43 AM
    I think I'm done here. Sounds like we can all agree that DTEK60 is abandoned.

So in summary, some of us are mad about that because we think it is a bad business decision which will drive future customers of the brand away and others are slightly less mad but think it is a good decision because that's the way the numbers work.

None of us know if they will continue to patch, but expect delays (based on past performance). Nougat is not to be expected.

Can we all agree on that?
    06-27-17 08:46 AM
    I doubt that, the Dtek series were marketed to enterprise customers and they will know that support has stopped.
    Unfortunately, enterprise never purchased the phone in any meaningful quantities..
    06-27-17 08:48 AM
    I think I'm done here. Sounds like we can all agree that DTEK60 is abandoned.

So in summary, some of us are mad about that because we think it is a bad business decision which will drive future customers of the brand away and others are slightly less mad but think it is a good decision because that's the way the numbers work.

None of us know if they will continue to patch, but expect delays (based on past performance). Nougat is not to be expected.

Can we all agree on that?
    I will agree that DTEKs are highly unlikely to see Nougat. Although I hope to see security updates for some time.
    06-27-17 08:51 AM
    Unfortunately, enterprise never purchased the phone in any meaningful quantities..
    But the ones that did will know and won't want to be burned again with future product offerings from BlackBerry
    06-27-17 08:54 AM
    But the ones that did will know and won't want to be burned again with future product offerings from BlackBerry
    Correct, fortunately, just a small meaningless number.
    06-27-17 08:56 AM
    Not talking about hardware... if a company can't be trusted, they're not going to be trusted for EMM either... in fact probably less chance of that than hardware.

It's pretty simple...
    06-27-17 09:51 AM
    Not talking about hardware... if a company can't be trusted, they're not going to be trusted for EMM either... in fact probably less chance of that than hardware.

It's pretty simple...
    How would an Enterprise customer know they can't be trusted because they didn't update a DTEK60? You are the one equating the two events. Enterprise customers haven't even heard of a dtek60 - or its software.
    06-27-17 10:05 AM
    How would an Enterprise customer know they can't be trusted because they didn't update a DTEK60? You are the one equating the two events. Enterprise customers haven't even heard of a dtek60 - or its software.
    Oh I'm sure they have, they are not going to give their business and trust to a company with out doing some investigating and they will see that they have a poor track record of support
    06-27-17 10:32 AM
    It's actually even worse than that... which doesn't help prove your point.

Most enterprise customers don't know BlackBerry is doing ANYTHING!

As a consultant where I support multiple Fortune 50/100/500 companies, I'm in a unique position to see this.

Since most of my clients wish to set me up with their enterprise email, and remote file access, for the duration of a contract, I often spend quality time with IT... from management down to the working level.

And guess what... BlackBerry is just a laughing stock... whether you're talking about EMM or hardware... doesn't matter. And that's if they even know BBRY is still in business.

The idea that EMM is going to save this company... is laughable.
    06-27-17 11:39 AM

It's pretty simple...
    Amen, you are correct sir.
    06-27-17 12:02 PM
    Rolling out Nougat to a few thousand fanboys is not going to help either of the above situations. This is an unusual situation where the vocal minority just doesn't matter. We're invisible, can't and won't be heard complaining over the stadium crowd as we're looking for the $1 hot dogs and $1 beer of the past.
    06-27-17 12:03 PM
    Yep, that's what my company of 38 learned after buying Priv and Dtek60, never again!
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 12:05 PM
    Is this a DTEK60 forum? Not sure what enterprise software or whatever you are referring to has to do with DTEK60?

I still am trying to figure out what your point is.

Do you think we should just not care and accept that BlackBerry abandoned a phone after 7 months?
    Nice to hear a post from someone other than the excuse makers and defenders of all things BB, bought ours 11/2016.. So, seven months is about all you get from Blackberry anymore, after 11 yrs of riding this coaster it is time to get off if they don't live up to their promise to the customer know matter how small or large the Dtek60 base is. No OS update for a seven month old device, very late or skipped patches is a shame.
    water_rodent likes this.
    06-27-17 12:21 PM
    if it's just business then it's safe to assume this is it for blackberry, be it blackberry mobile, TCL whatever. if what your saying is true that they think it's just cheaper to not support products after 4 to 6 months then it's really an exit strategy. save money while they completely shut down and go out with the KEYone, that makes sense now.

I own restaurants, let's say my kitchen makes an extra pancake. first thought (and a nice one) is to give it to a staff member so it doesn't go to waste right? wrong. Throw it in the garbage is cheaper when it's already waste. That staff member will put butter and syrup on it, costing me even more not to mention dirty up a plate for my dishwasher to spend more labor on.

So really, this business practice that some of you are talking about sounds more like an exit strategy. if blackberry is software only but the hardware side provides no support for the product then both sides have nothing. They sound like they are merely getting rid of some final products and do it as cheaply as possible and then disappear. too bad
    06-27-17 12:27 PM
    It's actually even worse than that... which doesn't help prove your point.

Most enterprise customers don't know BlackBerry is doing ANYTHING!

As a consultant where I support multiple Fortune 50/100/500 companies, I'm in a unique position to see this.

Since most of my clients wish to set me up with their enterprise email, and remote file access, for the duration of a contract, I often spend quality time with IT... from management down to the working level.

And guess what... BlackBerry is just a laughing stock... whether you're talking about EMM or hardware... doesn't matter. And that's if they even know BBRY is still in business.

The idea that EMM is going to save this company... is laughable.
    Okay well we've now changed the topic completely. But I guess you're now agreeing with me that Enterprise doesn't know anything about nougat updates for old Blackberry phones.

BlackBerry uem software is still 2nd in market share, and it is growing. But uem is just one component of their software portfolio.
    06-27-17 12:44 PM
    if it's just business then it's safe to assume this is it for blackberry, be it blackberry mobile, TCL whatever. if what your saying is true that they think it's just cheaper to not support products after 4 to 6 months then it's really an exit strategy. save money while they completely shut down and go out with the KEYone, that makes sense now.

I own restaurants, let's say my kitchen makes an extra pancake. first thought (and a nice one) is to give it to a staff member so it doesn't go to waste right? wrong. Throw it in the garbage is cheaper when it's already waste. That staff member will put butter and syrup on it, costing me even more not to mention dirty up a plate for my dishwasher to spend more labor on.

So really, this business practice that some of you are talking about sounds more like an exit strategy. if blackberry is software only but the hardware side provides no support for the product then both sides have nothing. They sound like they are merely getting rid of some final products and do it as cheaply as possible and then disappear. too bad
    Finally....somebody gets it. You're right. It's an exit strategy....just like a few months ago when Chen said BB was EXITING hardware.

Think of it like BB couldn't get anyone to buy the hardware business, 2013 or 2017. Chen licensed the name and if brand has any value left, maybe then BBMo will buy it outright if they have any commercial success.

As far as everything goes though, Chen is done wasting shareholder money on hardware as he should be. Whether or not the company will be further successful is unknown but the shareholders back Chen.

You're right though, no reason for throwing good money after bad...and yes EXIT strategy but he told us that clearly awhile back. What more does anybody want from a shut down entity/division?
    06-27-17 12:45 PM
    Yep, that's what my company of 38 learned after buying Priv and Dtek60, never again!
    So what... They have no hardware to sell you anyway. They QUIT before you could FIRE them..get it??
    06-27-17 12:47 PM
934 ... 678910 ...