Their sales are bad. Like really bad.
    You're referring to BlackBerry proper? Growth of software is still predicted at 10-15% for the fiscal year. I doubt BlackBerry Radar or UEM will be affected in any way by the lack of a Nougat update for the DTEKs.
    06-26-17 11:05 PM
    Im sure there's are more accurate, but they show the same thing that we all know. Their sales are bad. Like really bad. And they can't afford to **** off customers.

You are seriously living in a bubble if you think otherwise.
    If BlackBerry cared about hardware, they would have never exited the hardware business... Pretty simple if you take a step back and think about it.....
    06-26-17 11:37 PM
    You're referring to BlackBerry proper? Growth of software is still predicted at 10-15% for the fiscal year. I doubt BlackBerry Radar or UEM will be affected in any way by the lack of a Nougat update for the DTEKs.
    Is this a DTEK60 forum? Not sure what enterprise software or whatever you are referring to has to do with DTEK60?

I still am trying to figure out what your point is.

Do you think we should just not care and accept that BlackBerry abandoned a phone after 7 months?
    06-26-17 11:49 PM
    If BlackBerry cared about hardware, they would have never exited the hardware business... Pretty simple if you take a step back and think about it.....
    Well, they entered the software licensing business. And their track record for updating their software is pretty bad in my view.

If they want to sell more software licenses, they are going to need customers buying the phones from the licensee, right?
    06-26-17 11:51 PM
    Is this a DTEK60 forum? Not sure what enterprise software or whatever you are referring to has to do with DTEK60?

I still am trying to figure out what your point is.

Do you think we should just not care and accept that BlackBerry abandoned a phone after 7 months?
    You just said BlackBerry cannot afford to anger customers. Since they mainly sell enterprise software, I made the comment that I can't imagine a link between enterprise sales and a Nougat update on a DTEK.

If you are referring to BlackBerry's sideline business of licencing Android, then I argued that BlackBerry has already run the numbers and feel that revenues from TCL's licencing will be higher from NOT updating.

None of this has anything to do with whether or not I actually want Nougat on my DTEK60 - which I, of course, do. I'm just explaining why it makes no financial sense for BlackBerry to provide it to me.
    06-26-17 11:56 PM
    Well, they entered the software licensing business. And their track record for updating their software is pretty bad in my view.
    Thats it. Many people recommended blackberry phone back then, one of their reason was long software update support. Eventhough, their updates always bring up some bugs.
    06-27-17 12:03 AM

If they want to sell more software licenses, they are going to need customers buying the phones from the licensee, right?
    They sold licensing for the entire planet. The licensees now have the headache of keeping people happy with hardware. The numbers of people that bought PRIV and DTEK is so low, it's not worth the cost of implementation or support for any problems the update might cause to PRIV or DTEK models. Just like 10.3.3 caused problems for people that now wish they could go back to 10.3.2. Operationally, they're going to do what they feel causes the least amount of headache for the company and customer as whole.

I sure don't want to have Nougat on my existing devices if new issues arise. That's a bigger issue than if devices stay on Marshmallow.

Both companies know their are certain number of former/prospective customers unhappy and, they're ok with that. If those customers don't like that, it's ok, they've written those customers off already.
    06-27-17 12:20 AM
    I could be wrong but I thought Blackberry receive revenue on phones sold by TCL and the other hardware companies because they license the Blackberry name/Logo. You would think Chen would be concerned over the Security updates and the Blackberry reputation. It is like Federal Express...Fed EX Ground drivers are not Federal Express employees...they are independent contractors who use the Fed Ex name and logo as they move parcel. They pay for their own trucks, the upkeep of the trucks etc.

Fed Ex Express drivers work for Fed Ex. If a Fed Ex Ground driver is speeding or flipping off other drivers on the road the general public only see the Fed Ex logo and view Fed Ex Corporation in a bad light. TCL is trying to sale phones with the Blackberry name and logo and Blackberry is not updating a 7 month old phone OS and providing late security updates...that looks bad to the average customer who only see Blackberry. I had a relative say to me the other day that Blackberry does not keep their promises of " Zero day patching." He watch Alex Thurber 5 months ago say that...now he will not buy Blackberry.
    Correct me if I wrong, but doesn't zero day patching mean of there was a hack or something they would provide a patch immediately? If so, there was no hack so shouldn't be any worries on that front.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-17 03:07 AM
    You just said BlackBerry cannot afford to anger customers. Since they mainly sell enterprise software, I made the comment that I can't imagine a link between enterprise sales and a Nougat update on a DTEK.

If you are referring to BlackBerry's sideline business of licencing Android, then I argued that BlackBerry has already run the numbers and feel that revenues from TCL's licencing will be higher from NOT updating.

None of this has anything to do with whether or not I actually want Nougat on my DTEK60 - which I, of course, do. I'm just explaining why it makes no financial sense for BlackBerry to provide it to me.
    The cost to develop nougat for the Priv and dtek series has to be minimal, they already have it for the key1. No one is going to buy a $500 + phone from a company that has a history of dropping support 6 months after they buy it.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-27-17 06:11 AM
    Correct me if I wrong, but doesn't zero day patching mean of there was a hack or something they would provide a patch immediately? If so, there was no hack so shouldn't be any worries on that front.

Posted via CB10

Not sure... I thought once Goggle released the latest security patch that BlackBerry would implement it to devices immediately...unlike other OEM's that would sit on it.
    06-27-17 06:14 AM
    The cost to develop nougat for the Priv and dtek series has to be minimal, they already have it for the key1. No one is going to buy a $500 + phone from a company that has a history of dropping support 6 months after they buy it.
    You're correct. But since BlackBerry Original won't produce anymore phones, who cares? Your threat is empty. You have nothing to encourage them with..
    06-27-17 06:17 AM
    You're correct. But since BlackBerry Original won't produce anymore phones, who cares? Your threat is empty. You have nothing to encourage them with..
    They may not manufacture phones in house anymore but they still need secured smart phones to complete the suite of security they tout about. If they didn't they wouldn't have licensees. So it goes back to who would buy an expensive phone that doesn't have support after 6 months and if they won't support a phone with software updates what does it say about the other software they provide?
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 06:47 AM
    They may not manufacture phones in house anymore but they still need secured smart phones to complete the suite of security they tout about. If they didn't they wouldn't have licensees. So it goes back to who would buy an expensive phone that doesn't have support after 6 months and if they won't support a phone with software updates what does it say about the other software they provide?
    You're right about securing phones that sell in quantities that pay for the development by either an OEM, licensee or big enterprise client. Obviously, we know PRIV and DTEK are not those kind of sales...
    06-27-17 07:01 AM
    No one can, as BlackBerry is out of the hardware business.

But will they buy a new one from TCL if BlackBerry proper does not bring Nougat to the DTEK? Apparently TCL believes they will - and perhaps even in GREATER numbers.
    06-27-17 07:13 AM
    You're right about securing phones that sell in quantities that pay for the development by either an OEM, licensee or big enterprise client. Obviously, we know PRIV and DTEK are not those kind of sales...
    And you think future phone sales will be better by having a reputation of dropping support for phones when they reach 6 months old? I can understand this if the phone was cheap and they didn't market it as the most secured smart phone and saying that they would update the security long after you purchased it. Chen himself said that Nougat was the most secured.
    06-27-17 07:16 AM
    So if you want a phone properly updated you should wait and see if a magic number is sold such that it makes commercial sense to update the phone. OK. What's that number? And how should I know that number if the company never reports sales?

So, long story short, don't buy a Keyone. Got it. That was my plan all along because of their track record with updating other phones. Wait, so we are saying the exact same thing.
    06-27-17 07:17 AM
    As we've mentioned various times, there is no distinction between BlackBerry, BlackBerry mobile, and TCL in the mind of most consumers. If the phone is called a Blackberry, then it's a BlackBerry.

Blackberry should be worried about retaining customers and proving that they are a reliable company. If they aren't willing to burn some cash to rebuild their brand then I think it's time for TCL to take that stupid logo off their phones.
    06-27-17 07:21 AM
    So, long story short, don't buy a Keyone. Got it. That was my plan all along because of their track record with updating other phones. Wait, so we are saying the exact same thing.
    Again, what BlackBerry chooses to do with its own devices has nothing to do with what TCL has obligated them to do with TCL's devices.

We are now on uncharted grounds.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-27-17 07:22 AM
    No one can, as BlackBerry is out of the hardware business.

But will they buy a new one from TCL if BlackBerry proper does not bring Nougat to the DTEK? Apparently TCL believes they will - and perhaps even in GREATER numbers.
    Have you seen tcl website? I don't see anything about the key1. I do when I visit BlackBerry's. Again it comes down to reputation, it's BlackBerry's name and logo on the phones not tcl, if a company has a reputation of not supporting their products, whose going to buy it?
    06-27-17 07:25 AM
    Again, what BlackBerry chooses to do with its own devices has nothing to do with what TCL has obligated them to do with TCL's devices.

It has nothing to do with it except that everyone except fanatics thinks they are the same damn company. Because they carry the same name and logo.

Plus it makes it pretty obvious that BlackBerry is perfectly willing to **** off their customers if the price is right.

Why won't they do the same with Keyone? Seems safe to assume they will do very little. Seems pretty safe to say they won't go above and beyond to make the end user happy.

They've agreed to support the device, but we don't know how much support. I for one will assume 7 months. Which isn't enough.
    06-27-17 07:28 AM

It's not so uncharted, tcl builds windows Alcatel phone and Microsoft has updated them to the newest software, just like they did with the HTC, blu and Nokia/lumina. It's up to the software provider not the manufacturer. And like you say BlackBerry is a software company.
    06-27-17 07:32 AM
    It has nothing to do with it except that everyone except fanatics thinks they are the same damn company. Because they carry the same name and logo.

Plus it makes it pretty obvious that BlackBerry is perfectly willing to **** off their customers if the price is right.

Why won't they do the same with Keyone? Seems safe to assume they will do very little. Seems pretty safe to say they won't go above and beyond to make the end user happy.

They've agreed to support the device, but we don't know how much support. I for one will assume 7 months. Which isn't enough.
    BlackBerry now has only three customers in device software - TCL (BlackBerry Mobile), PT BlackBerry Merah Putih, and Optiemus Infracom. That's it. They no longer deal with the end consumer.

BlackBerry is bound by contractual obligations to its three licencees - something they didn't have before when they dealt directly with consumers. That's why "track record" is irrelevant.
    06-27-17 07:37 AM
    Have you seen tcl website? I don't see anything about the key1. I do when I visit BlackBerry's. Again it comes down to reputation, it's BlackBerry's name and logo on the phones not tcl, if a company has a reputation of not supporting their products, whose going to buy it?
    www.blackberrymobile.com

TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) clearly believes they will sell MORE devices if BlackBerry doesn't update its DTEKs - they've run the numbers. Otherwise they would fund the project themselves.
    06-27-17 07:40 AM
    It's not so uncharted, tcl builds windows Alcatel phone and Microsoft has updated them to the newest software, just like they did with the HTC, blu and Nokia/lumina. It's up to the software provider not the manufacturer. And like you say BlackBerry is a software company.
    It is 100% TCL's product to support. The period of support is solely determined by the terms they have made with BlackBerry. BlackBerry is obligated to fulfill its legal requirements under the contract.
    06-27-17 07:44 AM
    Put another way. BB may have wanted to update PRIV and/or DTEK and BBMo/PTBMP/OI licensees may have told BB no because they want early adopters buying new hardware if they want Android 7. If licensees made revenue from old phones, maybe they care about update later, but more likely so few consumer % even care of a low volume set of phones, that licensees don't want to pay. Cheaper and more positive cash flow to write off the PRIV and DTEK owners that care versus the people and new customers that don't care. Just like when they dumped BB10. It's just business and profits, nothing personal.
    06-27-17 07:56 AM
934 ... 56789 ...