who cares who made it or who handles what! we are pi$$ed off because we bought a phone that that's been abandoned after 7 months for gosh sakes!! marketed as the safest android phone with monthly updates. not like I bought an iPhone 3.
    06-26-17 03:23 PM
    who cares who made it or who handles what! we are pi$$ed off because we bought a phone that that's been abandoned after 7 months for gosh sakes!! marketed as the safest android phone with monthly updates. not like I bought an iPhone 3.
    Of course, but that is different from the specific sub-thread I'm involved in above.

As a DTEK60 owner myself, I am not happy about it either.

It didn't stop me from getting a KEYᵒⁿᵉ though, because I know who is to blame - and it's not TCL.
    06-26-17 03:30 PM
    I've got the PRIV and each DTEK. I'm not happy either but it has nothing to do with TCL. I'll eventually get the KEYone. What does one company have to do with the other in our case. BBMo doesn't owe me anything..... So I've bought three android phones from the original BlackBerry. Guess it's them I have a problem with right?
    06-26-17 04:06 PM
    It does seem that again we have all been misled and sold items that 6 months down the line are potentially now Not fit for purpose for very much longer.

I am so disappointed that I again fell for the BlackBerry rubbish. We were very strongly led to believe that Nougat was definitely part of the deal ..... and would follow ... the item is 7 months old and has been misold. Most secure and supported android phone was stated was the strapline for the sells and marketing ... I loved my Z30's and with a bit of support this phone was growing on me ... enough is enough ....

I'm angry ... as indicated not even Crackberry are picking this up. Kevin where are you on this ...

Does anybody know how we might stand in terms of returning these abandoned devices for refund? Trading standards in UK and Europe may be able to help?
    Last edited by Antberrymartyr1; 06-26-17 at 05:31 PM.
    06-26-17 05:06 PM
    This is the only part of all this that may matter.

After doing the math, obviously both BlackBerry and TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) don't believe it does, as either or both would insist on updating the DTEKs to Nougat.
    Guranteed they've not "done the math"!

This is pure and simple mis-management.

Sadly... they're probably not even savvy enough to run the correct numbers. They've already proven they don't know how to handle a launch.
    06-26-17 05:19 PM
    Don't know why that's so hard for seemingly smart folks to understand.
    They don't deal with phones at all so what image would they be worried about? You think a potential customer interested in one of their many other software offerings that has nothing to do with phones are worried about what goes on with their licensing agreements with phones?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-17 05:22 PM

Sadly... they're probably not even savvy enough to run the correct numbers. They've already proven they don't know how to handle a launch.
    Well, you'll just have to add yet another company to your list of corporations you could manage better.
    modifier likes this.
    06-26-17 05:25 PM
    It does seem that again we have all been misled and sold items that 6 months down the line are potentially now Not fit for purpose for very much longer.

I am so disappointed that I again fell for the BlackBerry rubbish. We were very strongly led to believe that Nougat was definitely part of the deal ..... and would follow ... the item is 7 months old and has been misold.

I'm angry ... as indicated not even Crackberry are picking this up. Kevin where are you on this ...

Does anybody know how we might stand in terms of returning these abandoned devices for refund? Trading standards in UK and Europe may be able to help?
    May I ask how you were specifically lead to believe that Nougat was "definitely" coming?

BTW, no jurisdiction in the world mandates a major OS update for smartphones.

DTEKs are not abandoned - support and patches will continue.
    06-26-17 05:29 PM

Probably took some pages from the "Microsoft Mobile Book of Mobile Retrenching Success".
    chi-town311 likes this.
    06-26-17 05:36 PM
    Conite

Strong marketing spiel led me to believe the OS update would follow.

You indicate that it's not abandoned and support and patches will continue. I have experience of being promised updates and support for years like all BlackBerry 10 users ... I wish I could believe the support and updates will continue.

The phone has been misold and I will try to use the merchantable quality aspect to enable this item to be refunded
    chi-town311 and xandros9 like this.
    06-26-17 05:54 PM
    Conite

Strong marketing spiel led me to believe the OS update would follow.

You indicate that it's not abandoned and support and patches will continue. I have experience of being promised updates and support for years like all BlackBerry 10 users ... I wish I could believe the support and updates will continue.

The phone has been misold and I will try to use the merchantable quality aspect to enable this item to be refunded
    Agreed here. What would make any reasonable person think that a phone that came out 7 months after the OS update was released would not get that OS update. Especially when the company is simultaneously developing a phone with the OS pre-installed. Seems like a logical assumption. Especially if that OS update also provides additional security which is the main marketing BS behind the product.

And think of your response by being a normal person who isn't privy to the unusual licensing agreements that separate the phones.

And don't blame a person for making a reasonable assumption.

The PRIV was updated. So there was precedent that updates would be provided.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-26-17 06:21 PM
    May I ask how you were specifically lead to believe that Nougat was "definitely" coming?

I see what you did there Conite loll

I don't think he meant he was led to believe that it was "definitely" coming but rather, he was led to believe that there was a high chance of it coming.

Everyone, including yourself, said things that made it sound like it would be "highly likely" coming to both the dtek50 and 60.

I think one user even wrote he "knew insider employees" testing nougat loll

This was at the very beginning when cautious minds were inquiring about whether it was smart to buy a dtek60, as it relates to nougat, given BlackBerry announced they had left hardware lolll

And you and others came to the rescue to say things like there is no reason why they wouldn't, etc etc

You even mentioned Chen talking about "securing android" to reach parity with bb10 and that would be nougat...

That's a huge deal if you ask me ...

Well nougat is here and Chen hasn't said anything.

I can only conclude

1) no one significant or in great enough numbers in Enterprise or government cares or buys their android phones

2) therefore BlackBerry themselves don't care about phone, not even their partnerships. They license the brand and software, a bare bones team does the updates and bug fixes. But it's essentially maintenance mode as far as their software goes.

These partnerships can easily be cancelled if BlackBerry is taken over I read...and last I read they're not doing that well at all in software apparently...

But they're becoming better positioned for a take over though...

Sorry didn't mean to turn this into an armchair ceo topic lolll

Just food for thought for people who think TCL has nothing to do with BlackBerry.
    xandros9 and AllanQuatermain like this.
    06-26-17 06:37 PM
    I see what you did there Conite loll

I don't think he meant he was led to believe that it was "definitely" coming but rather, he was led to believe that there was a high chance of it coming.

Everyone, including yourself, said things that made it sound like it would be "highly likely" coming to both the dtek50 and 60.

I think one user even wrote he "knew insider employees" testing nougat loll

This was at the very beginning when cautious minds were inquiring about whether it was smart to buy a dtek60, as it relates to nougat, given BlackBerry announced they had left hardware lolll

And you and others came to the rescue to say things like there is no reason why they wouldn't, etc etc

You even mentioned Chen talking about "securing android" to reach parity with bb10 and that would be nougat...

Well nougat is here and Chen hasn't said anything.

I can only conclude

1) no one in Enterprise or government cares or buys their android phones

2) therefore BlackBerry themselves don't care about phone, not even their partnerships. They license the brand and software, a bare bones team does the updates and bug fixes. But it's essentially maintenance mode as far as their software goes.

These partnerships can easily be cancelled if BlackBerry is taken over I read...and last I read they're not doing that well at all in software apparently...

But they're becoming better positioned for a take over though...

Sorry didn't mean to turn this into an armchair ceo topic lolll

Just food for thought for people who think TCL has nothing to do with BlackBerry.
    The poster said "definitely". I was just quoting.

The only things I ever said about Nougat are "I suspected the DTEKs will get it", and "to my knowledge no one in BlackBerry had a Nougat build for said devices".

I spoke very much about the claim that hardened-Nougat would be on par with BB10 for security - put not in the context of any discussion around the DTEKs.

Only a handful of DTEKs were ever made, so they certainly didn't take enterprise by storm. But Android itself has a significant enterprise footprint.

The BlackBerry Android development team will do whatever TCL contracted them to do.

A corporate buyout will not dissolve obligations.

Software, according to the financials, will show a 10 to 15% growth this year.

TCL has nothing to do with BlackBerry, apart from the fact that BlackBerry is one of many vendors on TCL's KEYᵒⁿᵉ project.

Did I miss anything?
    06-26-17 06:50 PM

Will continue? They skipped April and now apparently June. So it's the most secured android every other month. What a joke
    06-26-17 07:35 PM
    Will continue? They skipped April and now apparently June. So it's the most secured android every other month. What a joke
    I believe you'll see June in the next day or two.
    06-26-17 07:43 PM
    I believe you'll see June in the next day or two.
    They better if they are going to call it a June update 😁.
    water_rodent likes this.
    06-26-17 07:48 PM
    They better if they are going to call it a June update 😁.
    Hopefully:
    06-26-17 07:55 PM
    Well, you'll just have to add yet another company to your list of corporations you could manage better.
    Running several of them for years... thank you... and at ROI's that little johnny could only dream of.
    06-26-17 09:03 PM
    There are no more to buy. BlackBerry is out of the device business.

Besides, nothing has yet been abandoned.

I could be wrong but I thought Blackberry receive revenue on phones sold by TCL and the other hardware companies because they license the Blackberry name/Logo. You would think Chen would be concerned over the Security updates and the Blackberry reputation. It is like Federal Express...Fed EX Ground drivers are not Federal Express employees...they are independent contractors who use the Fed Ex name and logo as they move parcel. They pay for their own trucks, the upkeep of the trucks etc.

Fed Ex Express drivers work for Fed Ex. If a Fed Ex Ground driver is speeding or flipping off other drivers on the road the general public only see the Fed Ex logo and view Fed Ex Corporation in a bad light. TCL is trying to sale phones with the Blackberry name and logo and Blackberry is not updating a 7 month old phone OS and providing late security updates...that looks bad to the average customer who only see Blackberry. I had a relative say to me the other day that Blackberry does not keep their promises of " Zero day patching." He watch Alex Thurber 5 months ago say that...now he will not buy Blackberry.
    06-26-17 09:18 PM
    I could be wrong but I thought Blackberry receive revenue on phones sold by TCL and the other hardware companies because they license the Blackberry name/Logo. You would think Chen would be concerned over the Security updates and the Blackberry reputation. It is like Federal Express...Fed EX Ground drivers are not Federal Express employees...they are independent contractors who use the Fed Ex name and logo as they move parcel. They pay for their own trucks, the upkeep of the trucks etc.

Fed Ex Express drivers work for Fed Ex. If a Fed Ex Ground driver is speeding or flipping off other drivers on the road the general public only see the Fed Ex logo and view Fed Ex Corporation in a bad light. TCL is trying to sale phones with the Blackberry name and logo and Blackberry is not updating a 7 month old phone OS and providing late security updates...that looks bad to the average customer who only see Blackberry. I had a relative say to me the other day that Blackberry does not keep their promises of " Zero day patching." He watch Alex Thurber 5 months ago say that...now he will not buy Blackberry.
    Pretty simple really.

Hard to believe folks are still spewing excuses.
    06-26-17 09:30 PM
    I could be wrong but I thought Blackberry receive revenue on phones sold by TCL and the other hardware companies because they license the Blackberry name/Logo.
    Yes, of course. But BlackBerry Mobile probably thinks they will sell more DTEK Nougat replacements/updates (Krypton and Juno?) if BlackBerry does not update the DTEKs - which in turn makes more for BlackBerry proper.

If either company thought it would end up hurting the brand instead, they would insist on updating the DTEKs.
    06-26-17 09:30 PM
    Yes, of course. But BlackBerry Mobile probably thinks they will sell more DTEK Nougat replacements/updates (Krypton and Juno?) if BlackBerry does not update the DTEKs - which in turn makes more for BlackBerry proper.

If either company thought it would end up hurting the brand instead, they would insist on updating the DTEKs.
    Simple answer. It has hurt their brand. There are very few people who will buy their phones and if they keep letting us down they will have none. They even had to buy off CBK to get back on board. I wonder what he will think of BlackBwrry after they stop updating the Keyone in 7 months.
    06-26-17 10:26 PM
    There are very few people who will buy their phones ...
    Not sure where you get your metrics, but I'm sure BlackBerry and TCL have better numbers than we, and have looked at them in depth.
    06-26-17 10:30 PM
    Compounding interest : What I mean is TCL will lose customers as advocates. I would talk with relatives about the benefits of having a BlackBerry phone over other Android phones and Apple phones. I showed my relatives any information I came across in regards to Security updates and the hardening of the kernel etc.

This relative started watching BlackBerry as a possible upgrade for a new phone...and he starts to observe the lack of communication from TCL, missed updates on my Priv and now 60 and he was like forget this... I will stay with Apple. I can't defend TCL because this is reality..no Os update and late security patch.

I also can not in good conscience advocate people buy a TCL...made BlackBerry ( Allegedly) software supported phone at this time. I will see how TCL support K1 within the next 12 months.
    elfabio80 and modifier like this.
    06-26-17 10:50 PM
    Not sure where you get your metrics, but I'm sure BlackBerry and TCL have better numbers than we, and have looked at them in depth.
    Im sure there's are more accurate, but they show the same thing that we all know. Their sales are bad. Like really bad. And they can't afford to **** off customers.

You are seriously living in a bubble if you think otherwise.
    06-26-17 10:50 PM
934 ... 45678 ...