if they were to stop for the K1 after 8 or 9 months like DTEK60 then that would be very telling...
    Nothing has stopped for the DTEKs. They just missed the target this month.
    06-25-17 01:29 PM
    [QUOTE=dlmsd;12939370]

I agree, if N comes it comes, would be nice though. I just would like monthly security updates in the month they were promised, still a few days left.
    Yep thats the annoying thing, I think the DTEK60 is one of the best phone I have had from BB, being a business user and a moderate one at that... I would keep this until it mechanically fails if I got the updates for the foreseeable future, but maybe thats not what BB want?!
    06-25-17 01:31 PM
    If there is a BlackBerry logo on the phone and is sold to customers as a BlackBerry, then it's a freakin Blackberry! Tired of hearing it's a TLC, blah blah blah from the defenders of all things BlackBerry.
    What you wish to hear or not hear does not change the facts. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a TCL device. TCL controls the terms of support.
    06-25-17 01:32 PM
    And they lied about it...
    06-25-17 01:33 PM
    And they lied about it...
    Call it that if you want, ok.

It's more a situation of BlackBerry bloggers getting ahead of the BlackBerry engineers, but deal with it whatever way makes you feel better.
    06-25-17 01:36 PM
    If Blackberry are going to release no OS updates and stop security updates after 10 months of the phone being released, which is what it seems like at the moment with the DTEK60, then does that mean the K1 is finished by Feb / Mar next year?

I know it is something I have stated before, but they should have just ended BB devices (own hardware and licensed devices) and concentrate on software if thats what they want... it seems this is their long term plan with a gradual run down of devices, its just going to affect their reputation as people will not distinguish between BB Mobile and BB Software unless they really look into the business.
    [QUOTE=crackberry_geek;12939208]

Of course there is.

It's calling REPUTATION!

And any CEO worth his salt would clearly understand that. Lying doesn't prosper in the end.

But sadly... such valies are not in johnny's DNA.
    Reputation doesn't exist where one is no longer present. If BlackBerry Mobile thinks it's worth their own reputation, they might upgrade pre-KEYone devices but it probably doesn't make economic sense for them either.
    06-25-17 01:38 PM

Reputation doesn't exist where one is no longer present. If BlackBerry Mobile thinks it's worth their own reputation, they might upgrade pre-KEYone devices but it probably doesn't make economic sense for them either.
    That is an excellent point that essentially puts this argument to bed.
    Last edited by conite; 06-25-17 at 01:58 PM.
    06-25-17 01:42 PM
    What you wish to hear or not hear does not change the facts. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a TCL device. TCL controls the terms of support.
    So what, HTC makes the Pixel and doesn't control a damn thing other than supplying the phone to Google with them keeping up with what they promised their customers, Updates and customer support.

BlackBerry, marketed and sold my PRIV and 60 both from Digital river, NOT as a TLC , but as a BlackBerry, period, the manufacturer has nothing to do with the contract you enter into with the branding seller. BB has pretty much gave the middle finger to all that have bought the Priv and dteks, on customer service for 12 months and told us all to go to CB for that ..JOKE number one, now the security updates very late or completely skipped.... That is not a TLC issue, and I'm sure that will clearly show up in any class action coming down the pike. I choose to believe the facts not what the kool-aid makes me believe.
    nuff_said and modifier like this.
    06-25-17 01:58 PM
    So what, HTC makes the Pixel and doesn't control a damn thing other than supplying the phone to Google with them keeping up with what they promised their customers, Updates and customer support.

BlackBerry, marketed and sold my PRIV and 60 both from Digital river, NOT as a TLC , but as a BlackBerry, period, the manufacturer has nothing to do with the contract you enter into with the branding seller. BB has pretty much gave the middle finger to all that have bought the Priv and dteks, on customer service for 12 months and told us all to go to CB for that ..JOKE number one, now the security updates very late or completely skipped.... That is not a TLC issue, and I'm sure that will clearly show up in any class action coming down the pike. I choose to believe the facts not what the kool-aid makes me believe.
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is the first TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) device.

The DTEKs (constructed by TCL), and the Priv (constructed by Wistron) were BlackBerry devices.
    06-25-17 02:00 PM
    Duplicate post...
    06-25-17 02:10 PM
    Their freaking logo is on it.

Of course they are in it.

No amount of TCL excuses can change these simple facts.
    06-25-17 02:11 PM

The DTEKs (constructed by TCL), and the Priv (constructed by Wistron) were BlackBerry devices.
    Yes we all know that, now.. With a BlackBerry warranty and a 12 month customer service agreement from BlackBerry.

If your cars transmission brakes after two months, you don't have to go to the manufacturer of the parts that broke in it, you go to the branded selling company that warranted and put their logo on said car that they would at the time of the sale said they would stand behind the product that they sold the customer. Pretty darn simple to me.
    06-25-17 02:12 PM
    Their freaking logo is on it.

Of course they are in it.

No amount of TCL excuses can change these simple facts
    TCL has far more to lose from upset Priv and DTEK users - a lot more.

If the math doesn't work even for them, then it certainly doesn't work for BlackBerry.
    06-25-17 02:12 PM
    This is kinda my point though conite, if they have missed a deadline or there are issues with the update I am ok with that... but where is the communication, surely even with their connection with crackberry they could ask the forums to outline a details reason, i.e. in testing the new sec update has broken X so the update will be delayed / cancelled... not difficult, I have worked in Tech support all of my working life, first rule keep customers up to date or you deserve any backlash you receive... they have about 5 twitter account, how long does it take to tweet a message, its all excuses, its TCL, it BB software, its BB Mobile, its because its a 3rd Sunday in the month, because family guy had a re-run of season 3 etc etc.

No excuse for poor communication to paying customers.
    nuff_said, elfabio80 and modifier like this.
    06-25-17 02:27 PM
    its all excuses, its TCL, it BB software, its BB Mobile, its because its a 3rd Sunday in the month, because family guy had a re-run of season 3 etc etc.

None of those have been or should be used as excuses for the late DTEK60 update.

All I can guess is that they are buried from trying to get the KEYᵒⁿᵉ software out the door and working properly.

As to the lack of communication, that has always been a BlackBerry speciality. Although I'm not sure what the upside of a press release would be - particularly now since the hardware business is closed forever.
    06-25-17 02:35 PM
    This is kinda my point though conite, if they have missed a deadline or there are issues with the update I am ok with that... but where is the communication, surely even with their connection with crackberry they could ask the forums to outline a details reason, i.e. in testing the new sec update has broken X so the update will be delayed / cancelled... not difficult, I have worked in Tech support all of my working life, first rule keep customers up to date or you deserve any backlash you receive... they have about 5 twitter account, how long does it take to tweet a message, its all excuses, its TCL, it BB software, its BB Mobile, its because its a 3rd Sunday in the month, because family guy had a re-run of season 3 etc etc.

Problem is there are no paying customers left. I bought phone, they delivered phone. There is nothing in my contract with old BlackBerry that guarantees me anything beyond the contract. It's not like they're ever going to sell phones ever again.
    06-25-17 02:35 PM
    History is there, if they don't support a phone (limited run or not) that is 7 months old, why would someone buy another one?
    06-25-17 03:28 PM
    History is there, if they don't support a phone (limited run or not) that is 7 months old, why would someone buy another one?
    There are no more to buy. BlackBerry is out of the device business.

Besides, nothing has yet been abandoned.
    06-25-17 03:32 PM
    There are no more to buy. BlackBerry is out of the device business.

Besides, nothing has yet been abandoned.
    Blackberry announced prior to the launch of the Dtek60 that they were out of the handset business, their tag line was we put the smart in the smartphone.
    06-25-17 04:44 PM

Yes we all know that, now.. With a BlackBerry warranty and a 12 month customer service agreement, security updates pretty much lacking.

If your cars transmission brakes after two months, you don't have to go to the manufacturer of the parts that broke in it, you go to the branded selling car company that warranted, and put their logo on said car that they would at the time of the sale said they would stand behind the product (that has other companies parts in it) that they sold the customer. Stand behind your promise to the customers that keeps/kept you in business. Pretty darn simple to most people.
    06-25-17 04:54 PM
    Yes we all know that, now.. With a BlackBerry warranty and a 12 month customer service agreement, security updates pretty much lacking.

If your cars transmission brakes after two months, you don't have to go to the manufacturer of the parts that broke in it, you go to the branded selling car company that warranted, and put their logo on said car that they would at the time of the sale said they would stand behind the product (that has other companies parts in it) that they sold the customer. Stand behind your promise to the customers that keeps/kept you in business. Pretty darn simple to most people.
    So what part of your warranty contract has not been honored?
    06-25-17 04:59 PM
    Blackberry announced prior to the launch of the Dtek60 that they were out of the handset business, their tag line was we put the smart in the smartphone.
    Yes, but your statement says that lack of an update would prevent people from buying another BlackBerry phone.

If TCL was worried about that, THEY would front the cash to at least update the DTEKs. Since they haven't, I guess even their math says it's not worth it.
    06-25-17 05:24 PM
    Yes, but your statement says that lack of an update would prevent people from buying another BlackBerry phone.

If TCL was worried about that, THEY would front the cash to at least update the DTEKs. Since they haven't, I guess even their math says it's not worth it.
    But BlackBerry is the one who provides the software not tcl. Just like Google does with the pixel and the nexus devices, and Microsoft for that matter
    06-25-17 06:17 PM
    But BlackBerry is the one who provides the software not tcl. Just like Google does with the pixel and the nexus devices, and Microsoft for that matter
    BlackBerry does not just throw out an AOSP build once a month (like Google) for others to customise and deploy on their devices.

BlackBerry is preparing the entire package for its various licencees' devices. As such, the licencees would have insisted on a commitment from BlackBerry for a period of time to each device.

So ultimately it's up the the Licencee as to how long they choose to provide support. BlackBerry is simply an obligated vendor.
    06-25-17 06:24 PM
    BlackBerry does not just throw out an AOSP build once a month (like Google) for others to customise and deploy on their devices.

BlackBerry is preparing the entire package for its various licencees' devices. As such, the licencees would have insisted on a commitment from BlackBerry for a period of time to each device.

So ultimately it's up the the Licencee as to how long they choose to provide support. BlackBerry is simply an obligated vendor.
    Which is 2 licensees right now, one of which built the Dtek series for BlackBerry. Your argument is that BlackBerry has to give them support first, then support their other customers who bought the Priv and Dteks. Does the monthly security updates come from BlackBerry or tcl for the key1?
    06-25-17 06:39 PM
934 ... 23456 ...