There are no 100% bulletproof agreements. There are always ways to end an agreement. TCL can sue if BB breach the agreement, but what are the damages? It's BlackBerry's brand on the line here. If BB Mobile doesn't work out, BlackBerry can cut support and TCL will move in a different direction. Damage to TCL will be limited and they can continue building phones under a different brand. BlackBerry can scale back their involvement in hardware even further... to zero most likely.
    Ok. 99%. You know what I meant. Of course there are edge cases: BlackBerry could go out of business, TCL could go out of business, the world could go into a huge recession, things could get nasty and lawsuits ensue, etc.
    06-20-17 01:20 PM
    Ok. 99%. You know what I meant. Of course there are edge cases: BlackBerry could go out of business, TCL could go out of business, the world could go into a huge recession, things could get nasty and lawsuits ensue, etc.
    None of us know the agreement. There could be fairly simple terms that limit the agreement if sales objectives are not met, too. It doesn't have to be world ending scenarios.
    06-20-17 01:27 PM
    None of us know the agreement. There could be fairly simple terms that limit the agreement if sales objectives are not met, too. It doesn't have to be world ending scenarios.
    If anything, it would be very one-sided in TCL's direction. They have much, much more to lose. BlackBerry was lucky to get anyone on board.
    06-20-17 01:30 PM
    If anything, it would be very one-sided in TCL's favour. They have much, much more to lose. BlackBerry was lucky to get anyone on board.
    06-20-17 01:31 PM
    I hate to say it but the 60 could be the last BB I buy.

having had several goes with the Moto g5 that l bought for a mere £149 SIM free it's a great phone. so who knows, in the next 12 months either BB will have come up with something world beating or the competition will have sailed off and left them behind.
    06-20-17 01:51 PM
    It's not "their" KEYᵒⁿᵉ. That's a TCL device, and only TCL controls how long the support will be.
    It clearly states on BlackBerry website "Updating the security of your device - long after you purchase it". I guess that means 6 months lol 😁
    06-20-17 03:40 PM
    It clearly states on BlackBerry website "Updating the security of your device - long after you purchase it". I guess that means 6 months lol 😁
    Have to read between the lines on this one:

Updating the security (when necessary to us and zero day patches aren't necessary anymore) of your device* (when bought directly from our website - not Ingram Micro, not Amazon even though these are unlocked devices by definition) after your purchase it

*device is flexible by definition and this definition will be determined by us. A device bought last year is no longer an active device by our definition. Even though the hardware is not out of date and can support later versions of the OS we won't let anyone know what our plans are because we don't even know
    galifreiankid likes this.
    06-21-17 10:36 AM
    I wonder if the reason the Dtek60, 50 and Priv are potentially being phased out is because of the KeyOne? BlackBerry Mobile may not want any competition. A good way to get more users would be to funnel would be 60, 50 and Priv owners toward the KeyOne and future BlackBerry Mobile phones.

I have to admit I've abandoned plans to get the 60 due to the uncertain update future. Of course the KeyOne's build quality has left me uncertain of that phone too.
    06-21-17 12:35 PM
    Now B&H is showing it discontinued!!! One less place to find it...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...UvbUpU12933985
    06-21-17 01:20 PM
    Now B&H is showing it discontinued!!! One less place to find it...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...UvbUpU12934728
    Welp, pretty much seals the deal I guess. My first nonBB phone in many years...
    06-22-17 12:47 AM
    man, a lot of Doomsayers here! So if BB is so bad why does anyone buy a BB? I am thinking of getting KeyOne, but by the sound of it any phone not built by Google, Samsung, or Apple is not worth buying. I like difference, I have had 3 different BB phones and only went to Android because my Passport died and now want to go back. I hope that KeyOne will be supported into the next couple of years. I want a phone I can rely on for the next few years.
    06-22-17 01:14 AM
    No Doomsayer here but very disappointing that Blackberry or the New Blackberry Mobile has not given us an option moving forward for an all touch device. Some of us have already converted to using a touch keyboard and not wanting to go backwards so to speak. It is currently find a DTEK60 on the black market or wait it out for the next BM device which they are currently only fully pushing the new Keyone...
    06-22-17 07:15 AM
    No Doomsayer here but very disappointing that Blackberry or the New Blackberry Mobile has not given us an option moving forward for an all touch device. Some of us have already converted to using a touch keyboard and not wanting to go backwards so to speak. It is currently find a DTEK60 on the black market or wait it out for the next BM device which they are currently only fully pushing the new Keyone...
    It's coming. BBD100.
    06-22-17 07:45 AM
    Thanks Conite, I had seen that last evening but really no timeline for availability. I just wished the BBmobile would have had an all touch device and the Keyone available on launch of the new company this way consumers could have chose their own path so to speak... To have TLC launch a new company (Blackberry Mobile) and only offer the one phone knowing the DTEK50/60 handsets were already a limited run or soon to be discontinued makes really no sense when they are trying to keep people interested in the Blackberry name and brand. Just my opinion.
    06-22-17 08:00 AM
    Few DTEK60's left on Amazon. They're warehouse deals, sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Typically, packaging is damaged however item will be new. Since a refused or returned order, listed as used....
    06-22-17 08:32 AM
    Thanks Conite, I had seen that last evening but really no timeline for availability. I just wished the BBmobile would have had an all touch device and the Keyone available on launch of the new company this way consumers could have chose their own path so to speak... To have TLC launch a new company (Blackberry Mobile) and only offer the one phone knowing the DTEK50/60 handsets were already a limited run or soon to be discontinued makes really no sense when they are trying to keep people interested in the Blackberry name and brand. Just my opinion.
    I think BlackBerry Mobile had their hands full launching one product amidst setting up their entire global team and infrastructure. I would imagine subsequent launches will be much smoother.
    06-22-17 09:04 AM
    That would be unrealistic for a brand new company to release two new phones at once. They had problems with stock with the KEYone alone, imagine two phones launching at once. Would've been a disaster. But rumors are pointing to a upcoming slab so either get a good price on a dtek60 (or even 50) and ride it out, or see what becomes of this rumor of a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 02:29 PM
    [QUOTE=bigjman;12935455]That would be unrealistic for a brand new company to release two new phones at once. They had problems with stock with the KEYone alone, imagine two phones launching at once. Would've been a disaster. But rumors are pointing to a upcoming slab so either get a good price on a dtek60 (or even 50) and ride it out, or see what becomes of this rumor of a new phone.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE

Not really that unrealistic, they could have produced some more stock of the DTEK50/60 and folded those under the BBMobile umbrella until the new units came out. As you are aware both units were TCL based phones anyway.
    06-22-17 02:40 PM
    [QUOTE=ferrcad;12935472]
    That would be unrealistic for a brand new company to release two new phones at once. They had problems with stock with the KEYone alone, imagine two phones launching at once. Would've been a disaster. But rumors are pointing to a upcoming slab so either get a good price on a dtek60 (or even 50) and ride it out, or see what becomes of this rumor of a new phone.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE

Not really that unrealistic, they could have produced some more stock of the DTEK50/60 and folded those under the BBMobile umbrella until the new units came out. As you are aware both units were TCL based phones anyway.
    That doesn't really make sense though. Why would a newly formed company not only sell their first phone (the KEYone) but also take on another company's phone that they are phasing out? That's just not smart business. I am aware that both dteks and KEYone can be traced back to TCL one way or another, but on paper both phones are from two different companies.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-17 02:48 PM
    [QUOTE=ferrcad;12935472]

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE

But nobody was buying DTEK 50/60 because almost year old specs..
    06-22-17 03:03 PM
    Welp, pretty much seals the deal I guess. My first nonBB phone in many years...
    Buy a pixel and install BlackBerry services on it . You don't have to settle. Pixel will guarantee updates and you can keep using the BlackBerry services you like
    Uzi and xandros9 like this.
    06-24-17 11:39 AM
    the competition will have sailed off and left them behind........again
    06-24-17 12:30 PM
    [QUOTE=bigjman;12935492]

I am aware that both dteks and KEYone can be traced back to TCL one way or another, but on paper both phones are from two different companies.

Posted via CB10
    Good point re: DTEKs and KEYone being technically from two different companies. From this perspective BlackBerry abandoned the DTEKs and TCL won't update the OS on them or sell them.
    06-24-17 01:53 PM
    [QUOTE=nuff_said;12938352]

Good point re: DTEKs and KEYone being technically from two different companies. From this perspective BlackBerry abandoned the DTEKs and TCL won't update the OS on them or sell them.
    Either way were screwed right now for an all touch device...
    06-24-17 02:06 PM
    [QUOTE=nuff_said;12938352]

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Dtek & Keyone were both manufactured by TCL for Blackberry.
    06-24-17 04:02 PM
934 1234 ...