I have a Dtek 60 with Three UK.
    I never used to have issues on the regular Blackberry OS, and I could simply go to Settings / data management / turn off white roaming.
    I did this on Q5 / Passport and Classic.

On my last three trips to super expensive countries while roaming (£6/mb) my settings seem to just turn themselves ON spontaneously and I'd get a text message from Three a few minutes later telling me that I have used 30 or 40 pounds worth of data in last few hours! I'd then have a look at the Data While Roaming switch - and indeed it was re-set (by itself) to on... I'd then turn it off. Turn mobile to Airplane Mode and later contact Three when in WiFi zone. Three can permanently turn data while roaming OFF for me on their systems - which is not ideal, as I imagine a very rare emergency use of data while not in WiFi zone might be needed.
    I do like to have my UK SIM operating while abroad, for business purposes and although I have recently bought a £20 Alcatel phone for use with foreign SIM, I must confess that I have been too lazy to carry two phones with me...

Any ideas how this data while roaming switch re=sets it self to on despite me setting it to off when leaving the UK?
    03-02-18 05:08 AM
    I have been playing around with my settings and noticed TWO places connected to Data Roaming.
    1/. The one I have used so far (causing the problem, perhaps?) Is at Settings - Data Usage - Mobile Data - on/off

2/. Settings - ... MORE - Mobile Networks - Data Service While Roaming - ON / OFF

Indeed, although my data on the first setting was set to OFF, it still appeared as ON in the second setting.

Could this be the reason behind my phanthom / peculiar phone behaviour?
    Is there a reason for these two different settings, or is it perhaps a fault / glitch ?
    03-04-18 01:59 AM
    Yes. The second setting is the reason. It's not a problem with the phone it's the way u set it up.
    03-04-18 09:40 PM
    Thank you. Really appreciate your reply.
    So, when roaming in expensive destinations, if I want to receive calls / texts, but do not want to be charged for data - should I turn OFF BOTH those settings ? Or do I need to keep the first one 'on' - to be able to receive calls / texts?
    03-06-18 09:39 PM
    Thank you. Really appreciate your reply.
    So, when roaming in expensive destinations, if I want to receive calls / texts, but do not want to be charged for data - should I turn OFF BOTH those settings ? Or do I need to keep the first one 'on' - to be able to receive calls / texts?
    Keeping the first one off would stop mobile data usage completely but u can still use WiFi when available. This is the safest.

If you prefer to leave the first one on..

Then,

Keep the second one off or set it to prompt so it notifies you first then you can accept or decline.
    Attached Thumbnails Dtek problem with roaming data -  comes on for no reason-66982.jpg  
    03-07-18 04:35 AM
    Thank you, especially for the very helpful screen shot.
    I am now on to the Three Network, hoping to get a refund for £45 in just 6Mb of roaming data that happens while Mobile Data was turned off. Not a single one of 5 different operators I spoke to over my last two trips even considered advising me to turn off Roaming Data - they only said that turning off Mobile Data is not always 100% ...
    03-07-18 05:02 AM
    Thank you, especially for the very helpful screen shot.
    I am now on to the Three Network, hoping to get a refund for £45 in just 6Mb of roaming data that happens while Mobile Data was turned off. Not a single one of 5 different operators I spoke to over my last two trips even considered advising me to turn off Roaming Data - they only said that turning off Mobile Data is not always 100% ...
    No worries.

I'm on Three Network too and they do have a lot of countries you can travel to that mobile data is taken out of your allowance as if you were in the UK. It's called "Feel at Home". I think calls and texts to UK numbers are taken out your allowance too so no additional charges. I'm on an £18 a month sim only contract with 30GB data monthlies, unlimited calls and texts so it's worth checking that out. Countries you travel to might be included.

See screenshot. There's loads more included not captured in the screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Dtek problem with roaming data -  comes on for no reason-66989.jpg  
    03-07-18 06:24 AM
    Thanks. Yes. I am aware of that, although my £10 for 4Gb contract is nowhere near as good as yours :+)
    Just one thing about the Feel at Home, is that in countries outside the EU, when calling non UK numbers (including local numbers) the charges are sky high. That said, in a non EU country I connect online using free data allowance and use voip. My preference is www.sipgate.co.uk - as it allows you to have a local UK number of your choice when registering and theïr prices for actually making calls are quite competitive. It's free to receive calls - so anyone can call your UK landline number and (if you download a voip app on your smartphone) you pay nothing as welle
    Last edited by manulike; 01-11-19 at 06:50 AM.
    03-07-18 07:40 AM