I am a Priv owner and bought it for only 350$ so I am not as hurt as the 800$ priv owners out there. However the most hurt would be the Dtek owners that are literally compared to lab rats by blackberry. Basically if you bought a dtek phone you just bought their **** in your ***. The dtek phones were just a test. In which you are the rat.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    09-11-17 02:52 PM
    First, Priv launched at $699.

Second, TCL has taken over responsibility for the DTEKs, and hasn't decided yet about Nougat. In the meantime, security patches will continue for a long time.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-11-17 03:35 PM
    First, Priv launched at $699.

Second, TCL has taken over responsibility for the DTEKs, and hasn't decided yet about Nougat. In the meantime, security patches will continue for a long time.
    But BlackBerry did say the DTEK series were a test product, so...... I guess we were the rats.... lol
    09-11-17 05:15 PM
    But BlackBerry did say the DTEK series were a test product, so...... I guess we were the rats.... lol
    It was a transition device to the new licencing model, and a proof of concept for TCL. Not sure what that has to do with anything else though.
    09-11-17 05:42 PM
    I guess test was successful because the licensees became licensees. I'd be angry if my DTEK models sucked but, they've been a lot better than my PRIV was. If they get Nougat, that'd be great. If they don't, I won't lose sleep over it because I've always believed the OS the device comes with is usually the best optimized for the device. Apple changed my opinion with there IOS 7 and IOS 8. When I updated to IOS 9, they changed my opinion back to original. The newer OS take up memory that original didn't.

Let's face it, the OS updates are to force planned obsolescence. Look how long Windows XP lasted in the consumer space. People act like companies are out there looking out for the consumer. No company does that for any reason other than monetization purposes.

Check out the new price of the latest Apple flagship. That's a perfect example of using loyal customers for testing price elasticity.
    09-11-17 05:54 PM
    Conite, Rats or not ..... it's still very likely to be unfortunate for those of us who believed BlackBerry and bought the device ..... conned, ripped off, most secure phone LOL.
    HughJarsse likes this.
    09-11-17 05:57 PM
    Conite, Rats or not ..... it's still very likely to be unfortunate for those of us who believed BlackBerry and bought the device ..... conned, ripped off, most secure phone LOL.
    TCL has not made a final decision yet.

But it's still more secure than vanilla Nougat - of that there is no doubt.
    09-11-17 06:02 PM
    TCL has not made a final decision yet.

But it's still more secure than vanilla Nougat - of that there is no doubt.
    And there will be many Androids that are more secure, and supported three or four times as long. Again, the discrepancy is squaring promises and expectations with reality.

Never mind the PRIV, what BlackBerry delivered with the DTEKs is beyond bad...it approaches fraud and class action lawsuit territory. It's a good thing for them next to no one even knows they exist, let alone unfortunate enough to buy one.
    rcab and HughJarsse like this.
    09-11-17 07:35 PM
    what BlackBerry delivered with the DTEKs is beyond bad...it approaches fraud and class action lawsuit territory.
    Good luck with that.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    09-11-17 07:50 PM
    Good luck with that.
    Lol. Sure, people knew the BlackBerry hardware division was in serious trouble when the DTEKs came out. How many people did BlackBerry tell they were an experiment test the waters with TCL and the licensing model, and that support (except security patches...barely) would drop after barely a year? Thurber said very clearly the DTEKs were BlackBerry's devices, and that came with expectations. Not the least of which being that BlackBerry would actually support them.

Last time I checked, BlackBerry was not bankrupt. So the only other possibility is they have hung their paying customers out to dry after barely a year. You being one of them.
    chi-town311 and Xerograv like this.
    09-11-17 07:57 PM
    It was a transition device to the new licencing model, and a proof of concept for TCL. Not sure what that has to do with anything else though.
    BlackBerry said they were "test" devices.
    09-11-17 08:46 PM
    BlackBerry said they were "test" devices.
    From a corporate partnership perspective, yes. Under the hood stuff.
    09-11-17 09:04 PM
    BB Droid Software (BB launcher/hub/keyboard/calendar/secure encrypted android M flavour etc) is by BB Canada, and Dtek is TCL hardware. So how does the onus fall upon tcl to deliver Nougat OS on the Dtek 60?

Using this logic Optiemus infracom will be responsible for getting Android Oreo OS on the 4GB Keyones in India and At&T on their black keyones, & blackberry canada would just deliver apps to work on the new Oreo OS
    09-11-17 11:00 PM
    BB Droid Software (BB launcher/hub/keyboard/calendar/secure encrypted android M flavour etc) is by BB Canada, and Dtek is TCL hardware. So how does the onus fall upon tcl to deliver Nougat OS on the Dtek 60?

Using this logic Optiemus infracom will be responsible for getting Android Oreo OS on the 4GB Keyones in India and At&T on their black keyones, & blackberry canada would just deliver apps to work on the new Oreo OS
    The licencees are 100% responsible for their own devices. They PAY BlackBerry for the level of OS support they CHOOSE to supply their customers.

TCL took over responsibility for the DTEK devices from BlackBerry in a recent business transaction. Now TCL will decide what will happen.

On a separate note, if I were TCL, I would not bother with spending money having BlackBerry construct Nougat for the DTEKs, but instead offer some type of incentive program to upgrade to the Krypton.
    09-11-17 11:32 PM
    Rather than rats, I prefer BlackBerry Test Dummies. I like Conite 's incentive suggestion ... All who bought DTEK60 were fans ...

This good suggestion very cost effectively removes a lot of the bad angst and promotes TCL's commitment and support of users... works for Apple et al

It also gets vocal, communicative fans back on board
    09-12-17 01:41 AM

On a separate note, if I were TCL, I would not bother with spending money having BlackBerry construct Nougat for the DTEKs, but instead offer some type of incentive program to upgrade to the Krypton.
    Upgrade? Have you heard the specs of Krypton, it's more of a down grade.
    09-12-17 05:50 AM
    hopefully, TCL is convinced (as well as BB) that re-brand is non starter... I am labrat, brought dtek 60 for my nephew, inferior design (hardware), with a proper casing, so far, so good... As for OS update, the kid is computer science major, it is his hardware hardened OS to play with (he bricked my z10 before, and also assembled a computer for his next gen gaming..- convince him if you need next gen software, you need next gen hardware... if you can't find on market, or can't afford, build your own and over clock it..). a good toy/tool to learn how to do it properly in security and why it is bad design using glass backing (so far, no break yet... ). Labrat? might be (not me, but for the kid...). If we got either N or O, icing on the cake... otherwise, you make the best of your device, frame rate, animation, etc. what ever suitable to your needs. I thought that is why droid existed...
    09-12-17 06:12 AM
    Please someone answer this question.... When the Dtek 50 and 60 came out did they have lolipop or marshmallow?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-17 08:14 AM
    Please someone answer this question.... When the Dtek 50 and 60 came out did they have lolipop or marshmallow?

Posted via CB10
    Marshmallow
    09-12-17 08:17 AM
    Was such an expensive testing device (for early adopters). If it was lower, I think many wouldn't be as vocal about it.
    09-12-17 12:30 PM
    From a corporate partnership perspective, yes. Under the hood stuff.
    Exactly the problem. BlackBerry (Ontario and BlackBerry Mobile alike) are approaching things from a corporate view, and not their customers point of view. A guarantee for losing those customers. And by the sound of most comments here that's exactly what's going to happen: losing even more of the customers than they already have in the last 7 years.
    09-12-17 12:37 PM
    The licencees are 100% responsible for their own devices. They PAY BlackBerry for the level of OS support they CHOOSE to supply their customers.

TCL took over responsibility for the DTEK devices from BlackBerry in a recent business transaction. Now TCL will decide what will happen.

Here I absolutely agree. That should be the way of meeting the customers expectations. If the upgrading is too complex or too expensive look for other ways.
    09-12-17 12:39 PM
    Was such an expensive testing device (for early adopters). If it was lower, I think many wouldn't be as vocal about it.
    DTEK60 was actually a good value... probable because it was an EOL product before it was even launched and they were able to limit the number of device made, and wrote off the rest. Still can't complain too much on the price with those specs, but yes it was $500 US and that can be viewed as expensive in some ways. And yes most still believed/expected that it would get the recently release Nougat update....

I'd say from the PlayBook on.... BlackBerry users have been "beta" testers (lab rats) for BlackBerry's attempt at regaining some level of relevance or even some level of a Mobile Device presence.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-12-17 03:18 PM
    I have been a BlackBerry user for 20yrs and even fell for the PlayBook. I was lucky enough to buy my Dtek60 new for $350 and think it was well worth it for the specs on the phone.

However, if I paid full boat price for Dtek60, I would pretty ticked off at not even receiving Nougat and the constant delay with security updates.

Unless the new BlackBerry all touch phone is a powerhouse at a reasonable price, my next phone won't be a BlackBerry, unfortunately.
    skinnymike1 and baldy3577 like this.
    09-12-17 03:56 PM
    I would accept a trade for a newer model if it was a good deal and I liked the newer model.
    09-13-17 06:30 AM
40 12