I launch the DTEK app today and it is warning me that my operating system integrity has been compromised.

It doesn't tell me know why or how it is compromised. I have recently changed to a new sim card for data roaming. It did boot into the bootloader once and everything seems normal after that.

It also keeps on saying my security startup isn't enabled upon a reboot. Although I have already enabled the PIN on startup.

I am still on the March security updates. Is it a real threat or a bug in DTEK app? Will it return to normal after the April update is received? Thanks.
    Last edited by asiayeah; 04-22-17 at 05:48 PM.
    04-22-17 06:56 AM
    Some people had this issue with the DTEK app a few months ago, I think an app update resolved the issue. But, you may want to reach out to BlackBerry just in case. I doubt your phone is really compromised provided you haven't tried to do anything outlandish.
    04-22-17 09:17 AM
    I launch the DTEK app today and it is warning me that my operating system integrity has been compromised.

It doesn't tell me know why or how it is compromised. I have recently changed to a new sim card for data roaming. It did boot into the bootloader once and everything seems normal after that.

It also keeps on saying my security startup isn't enabled upon a reboot. Although I have already enabled the PIN on startup.

I am still on the March security updates. Is it a real threat or a bug in DTEK app? Will it return to normal after the April update is received? Thanks.
    I have a Priv and DTEK has been telling me my OS is compromised for about 3 WEEKS NOW. BlackBerry does know and they say it is a known issue. The next phone update may fix it, but nothing has been released for Priv yet.
    04-24-17 08:33 PM
    Some people had this issue with the DTEK app a few months ago, I think an app update resolved the issue. But, you may want to reach out to BlackBerry just in case. I doubt your phone is really compromised provided you haven't tried to do anything outlandish.

Thanks. I am fingers crossed for the April/May security updates.

In any case, this DTEK warning is a bit useless if it's buggy and doesn't tell which part of the OS is compromised.
    05-03-17 09:27 AM
    Thanks. I am fingers crossed for the April/May security updates.

In any case, this DTEK warning is a bit useless if it's buggy and doesn't tell which part of the OS is compromised.
    It's irrelevant what is compromised, because since the device is not rootable, the only way to fix a system file is to perform a complete restore anyway.

If you wanted more information from DTEK, just for interest sake, the level of required oversight would bring the system to a crawl.
    05-03-17 09:32 AM
    It's irrelevant what is compromised, because since the device is not rootable, the only way to fix a system file is to perform a complete restore anyway.

If you wanted more information from DTEK, just for interest sake, the level of required oversight would bring the system to a crawl.
    Thanks.

I never root my device. So I wonder how it would get compromised. It sounds more like it's a bug in DTEK so I just wanna know why DTEK app would find it is compromised. Perhaps there are some logs.
    05-03-17 09:36 AM

I've just found this, http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000038777

It says it's under investigations and there is currently no resolution...
    05-03-17 09:39 AM
    I've just found this, http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000038777

It says it's under investigations and there is currently no resolution...
    That is one potential false positive. But it's hard to say if that is what you have.
    05-03-17 09:45 AM
    Thanks.

I never root my device. So I wonder how it would get compromised. It sounds more like it's a bug in DTEK so I just wanna know why DTEK app would find it is compromised. Perhaps there are some logs.
    You can't root a BlackBerry Android device. That's not what I was saying.
    05-03-17 09:46 AM
    That is one potential false positive. But it's hard to say if that is what you have.
    That's exactly my point. Given there is a potential for false positive. And this is not the first time. Plus there is no explanation to users. I wonder if anyone could carry out any action for this DTEK warning at all for now or in future.
    05-03-17 09:54 AM
    That's exactly my point. Given there is a potential for false positive. And this is not the first time. Plus there is not explanation to users. I wonder if anyone could carry out any action for this DTEK warning at all.
    Better to have false positives than to error on the side of non-reporting.
    05-03-17 09:55 AM
    Better to have false positives than to error on the side of non-reporting.
    True. But I think BlackBerry DTEK has lost too much credibility on this one already IMHO.

Reporting a warning without any explanation is not useful. Plus, it has 2 incidents of widespread false positives already in his track records.
    05-03-17 09:56 AM
    Yeah. It's really impossible to know if it's what I have. Given the description of the knowledge base and DTEK description. But the timing does look similar to my issue. I am just sharing it for others' reference here.
    05-03-17 10:03 AM
    True. But I think BlackBerry DTEK has lost too much credibility on this one already IMHO.

Reporting a warning without any explanation is not useful. Plus, it has 2 incidents of widespread false positives already in his track records.
    False positives are just as bad as not reporting anything
    05-07-17 09:23 AM
    I would still prefer to error on the side of getting false positives. A factory reset on Android is fairly quick with Google backups.
    05-07-17 10:49 AM
    Had this DTEK app saying software compromised etc on my new Keyone out of the box before any updates, so did a factory reset all now ok.
    05-07-17 01:34 PM
    Had this DTEK app saying software compromised etc on my new Keyone out of the box before any updates, so did a factory reset all now ok.
    The May 5 Security Update on my DTEK60 has solved my warning issue from the DTEK app.
    05-08-17 07:52 PM
    The May 5 Security Update on my DTEK60 has solved my warning issue from the DTEK app.
    Thank's for this information will wait for may update,
    asiayeah likes this.
    05-09-17 01:07 AM
    I believe this warning issue comes back since yesterday (i.e. Aug 13, 2017). Having my KEYone since June, DETEK gives me "excellent" all the way until yesterday. It says "the integrity of the OS is compromised" and recommends me to back up and then perform a factory reset. Do I really need to perform a factory reset?
    08-14-17 10:25 AM
    This issue happened to me also on my KEYone a couple of days ago. The DTEK app says the OS is compromised.

I will wait for the next OS update to see if this is fixed. Rogers will be releasing an OS update on August 21.
    08-17-17 09:33 AM
    I just got the same message this afternoon out of the blue.

I will also wait for the next update to see if that fixes it
    08-21-17 07:11 AM
    Generally, in cybersecurity, a false positive is MUCH BETTER than a false negative. With a false positive you can take additional measures to confirm or reject an event, change behavior, quarantine or continue monitoring. But there is no way to respond to a false negative.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-21-17 07:45 AM
    Generally, in cybersecurity, a false positive is MUCH BETTER than a false negative. With a false positive you can take additional measures to confirm or reject an event, change behavior, quarantine or continue monitoring. But there is no way to respond to a false negative.

Yeah, maybe so, but a false positive can result in a factory reset under the circumstances. Get a few of those per year and you've wasted hours and hours of time.
    08-21-17 08:19 AM
    Yeah, maybe so, but a false positive can result in a factory reset under the circumstances. Get a few of those per year and you've wasted hours and hours of time.
    Then ignore it and you'd be no worse off than not having the app at all.

For me, I'd rather be safe than sorry - even if it takes an hour to rebuild after a Google restore.
    08-21-17 08:42 AM

Hmmm hold on! I wouldn't say much better! False negative will result in a threat that hasn't been identified.

Too many false positive would result in a user ignoring them, meaning that a true risk won't be identified.

Countless and countless of research had shown that... including lots of major aviation accidents caused by false positive. When an alarm sounds what too often, people will just ignore it.
    08-21-17 09:33 AM
37 12