Hmmm hold on! I wouldn't say much better! False negative will result in a threat that hasn't been identified.

Too many false positive would result in a user ignoring them, meaning that a true risk won't be identified.

Countless and countless of research had shown that... including lots of major aviation accidents caused by false positive. When an alarm sounds what too often, people will just ignore it.
    Just like I'm ignoring my DTEK app now.
    08-21-17 09:35 AM
    Just like I'm ignoring my DTEK app now.
    Haha... one of those notification could be a real one! lol
    08-21-17 10:49 AM
    Haha... one of those notification could be a real one! lol
    Realistically, what are the chances of the OS being compromised from apps that are downloaded from the Google Play, with Google Play Protect continuously scanning the device for security threats and harmful apps?

The question is how DTEK picked up on an OS compromise when Google Play Protect didn't notice a thing? I suspect that DTEK is faulty.
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK App reports OS Compromised-screenshot_20170821-115733.jpg  
    08-21-17 10:59 AM
    Hmmm hold on! I wouldn't say much better! False negative will result in a threat that hasn't been identified.

Too many false positive would result in a user ignoring them, meaning that a true risk won't be identified.

Countless and countless of research had shown that... including lots of major aviation accidents caused by false positive. When an alarm sounds what too often, people will just ignore it.
    Yes. That's a valid point, but not really the case if it's not too frequent.

Any detection system of significant complexity will have its share of false positives and negatives. The system should be tuned so that the IMPACT is equal on both sides. So, if the cost/impact of a false positive is $100, and the cost/impact of a false negative is $500, you'd want to have 5x more false positives than negatives or vice versa.

A great example of this is prostate cancer testing. Everyone wants to prevent cancer, but over aggressive screening with very sensitive tests was leading to over treatment for patients whose health wasn't actually at risk, resulting in treatment side effects with real impacts that were not balanced with lives saved.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-21-17 11:25 AM
    Realistically, what are the chances of the OS being compromised from apps that are downloaded from the Google Play, with Google Play Protect continuously scanning the device for security threats and harmful apps?

The question is how DTEK picked up on an OS compromise when Google Play Protect didn't notice a thing? I suspect that DTEK is faulty.
    Read up about Delta Flight 1191, it's a classical case of False Positive and how it just renders "alerts" useless.

Before flying, most planes spends a huge amount of time taxiing. While taxiing, the plane will sound an alarm reminding the pilot to put the flaps on position for takeoff, without them, the plane will just crash.

It's just standard procedure and since the alarm was more of a nuisance, most pilots disabled the alarm by pulling the fuse.

On Delta 1191, they really forgot to set the flaps and the plane crashed right after liftoff.
    08-21-17 11:47 AM
    I just updated the DTEK app from Google Play store and the error is still there. Hopefully the OS update will fix it then
    08-25-17 10:16 AM
    I just updated the DTEK app from Google Play store and the error is still there. Hopefully the OS update will fix it then
    Why are you completely ruling out an actual compromise?
    08-25-17 11:14 AM
    Why are you completely ruling out an actual compromise?
    I don't believe it to be an actual compromise as I haven't added any software or made any changes to my phone. Unless its come by way of an app update.
    08-25-17 11:53 AM
    That can absolutely happen, yes.
    08-25-17 12:22 PM
    yep... especially with all the known holes in mediaserver. Thank Google for that abortion.
    08-25-17 01:26 PM
    Either way, we won't know until the OS update comes out.

Tick, tock, BlackBerry......... 😴
    08-26-17 10:32 AM
    Just got the August update and DTEK still says the OS is compromised :-(
    08-29-17 05:29 AM
37 12