I got my PRIV on the first day it was out. I am on a two year contract. Understandably I am a high end spec user and the specs in this phone amaze me.

But I want to know if there is development on future devices that I should hold out for?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-27-16 08:57 AM
    DTEK devices are rebranded and without a PKB. I would say its aimed more at corporations & Govs than BlackBerry fans and users. Something like the Rome is aimed at BlackBerry users, Priv or other devices.

Personally, I would find it hard to like any rebranded DTEK as they miss the main elements that make BB devices distinctive and unique.
    09-27-16 09:05 AM
    DTEK devices are rebranded and without a PKB.
    What I understand that the DTEK70 is going to be a pkb device. Not true?
    09-27-16 09:35 AM
    Probably, not rebranded though. This what I was referring to when I said the "Rome". Another name for it is Mercury. For now its not confirmed it will be a "DTEK" but yeah what else?. They've chosen this horrible name for 2 devices. I've some hope for it not being a DTEK because its PKB and not rebranded.

When I said DTEK devices are rebranded and without a PKB I meant the DTEK50 and the DTEK60.
    09-27-16 09:42 AM
    never heard any rumor like that but there is a keyboard device possibly planned for next year in the spring
    09-27-16 09:44 AM
    never heard any rumor like that but there is a keyboard device possibly planned for next year in the spring
    Chen said the devices are coming out between now (Whenever that was) and the end of the fiscal year Feb/17. March is in Spring but that's too far for the device to register any sales in the quarter earnings (They report in March/31). More likely they will release it in the beginning of 2017.
    09-27-16 09:49 AM
    Ah. After the Christmas rush. Smart.

Not.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android by a recovering Privaholic
    09-27-16 09:53 AM
    Personally, I would find it hard to like any rebranded DTEK as they miss the main elements that make BB devices distinctive and unique.
    You mean EXCEPT for the productivity aimed software (HUB, BlackBerry VKB, etc.), the familiar red notifications spark, and best in class security? I don't have any of the BlackBerry Android offerings yet but I can't see how they are really missing that much of what makes a BlackBerry device a BlackBerry device. OK, so they are rebranded and based off of existing designs but, really, just how original do you expect a glass slab can be? As far as I'm concerned, the software is the only difference between one smartphone to another (excluding models with a PKB), and BlackBerry doesn't fail to deliver there with their Android suite of BlackBerry-flavored software.
    BLu and bigjman like this.
    09-27-16 10:01 AM
    I got my PRIV on the first day it was out. I am on a two year contract. Understandably I am a high end spec user and the specs in this phone amaze me.

But I want to know if there is development on future devices that I should hold out for?

That really would depend on if you prefer a PKB or not. As a Priv user, you could be either. I would be shocked if they released another high-end device any time soon after the DTEK60 and, if they do, it will be the PKB that has pretty much been promised (BlackBerry claimed that the 'physical keyboard was not going anywhere' when the announcement that production of the Classic had ended). There is also a good chance that the PKB device will not out-spec the DTEK60 because it doesn't have to. For the people that want one, specs are not going to be a deal-breaker for them so long as they are not years behind.

Personally, regardless of what they come out with next, my sights are still on the Priv. BlackBerry's virtual keyboard is top-notch but I can't let go of my physical keys. The only way I won't get a Priv is if they release an eventual successor to that model and I can still have the best of both worlds.
    buzzer76 and Sigewif like this.
    09-27-16 10:07 AM
    You mean EXCEPT for the productivity aimed software (HUB, BlackBerry VKB, etc.), the familiar red notifications spark, and best in class security? I don't have any of the BlackBerry Android offerings yet but I can't see how they are really missing that much of what makes a BlackBerry device a BlackBerry device. OK, so they are rebranded and based off of existing designs but, really, just how original do you expect a glass slab can be? As far as I'm concerned, the software is the only difference between one smartphone to another (excluding models with a PKB), and BlackBerry doesn't fail to deliver there with their Android suite of BlackBerry-flavored software.
    Hahah, that's the funniest thing I've heard since quite a while here.

You don't see "how they are really missing that much of what makes a BlackBerry device a BlackBerry device?" Maybe the fact that its not designed by BlackBerry, just maybe xD? Its "rebranded", you said it yourself xD.. Your comment contradicts itself. you fail to see what's missing yet you tell me its rebranded, how original you expect it to be? So indeed you confess and admit its not original. Then what's the original? You admit the original BB device is missing here, right? Are you alright mate?.. That's an amazing contradiction.

You think what makes a BlackBerry is Hub, VKB, ETC? When did you buy your first BB device, yesterday?.. BlackBerry existed long before all that. It was mainstream long before that. This IS NOT what made BlackBerry unique. People do not identify BlackBerry with anything that you said. You speak as you were born in 2013, you really define BlackBerry by these apps?.. Mate, most people liked BlackBerry long before this stuff and they like it today mostly because of the same reasons.

- DTEK 50 doesn't have the "familiar red notification spark"

- "Just how original do you expect a glass slab can be?" Zlich, I expect it to unoriginal xD. And this is why I dislike it. (This is misunderstood, thought you meant rebranded. Even touchscreen phones can be unique and different. Just check HTC phones, I still expect it to be a little different)

- BIG NO, the software is not the only difference, design is a critical and major difference, unless one is blind, then its all software, by all means.

- People didn't buy BlackBerry because its the best class in security. The Masses don't work for the FBI. Only niche sectors like Govs & Corps bought for that.

I've said it over and over, I welcome all these DTEKs devices if they will help in sales. But no way in hell I'll like them or recommend them. And no way in hell I'll agree with people who tell me they're no different than original devices designed by BlackBerry. I actually don't recall anyone disagreeing with me on the fact that its not an original BB device, so you've got that going for you. A radical opinion so I had to blast it.
    Last edited by Sairos; 09-27-16 at 11:04 AM.
    09-27-16 10:33 AM
    Hahah, that's the funniest thing I've heard since quite a while here.

You don't see "how they are really missing that much of what makes a BlackBerry device a BlackBerry device?" Maybe the fact that its not designed by BlackBerry, just maybe xD? Its "rebranded", you said it yourself xD.. Your comment contradicts itself. you fail to see what's missing yet you tell me its rebranded, how original you expect it to be? So indeed you confess and admit its not original. Then what's the original? You admit the original BB device is missing here, right? Are you alright mate?.. That's an amazing contradiction.

You think what makes a BlackBerry is Hub, VKB, ETC? When did you buy your first BB device, yesterday?.. BlackBerry existed long before all that. It was mainstream long before that. This IS NOT what made BlackBerry unique. People do not identify BlackBerry with anything that you said. You speak as you were born in 2013, you really define BlackBerry by these apps?.. Mate, most people liked BlackBerry long before this stuff and they like it today mostly because of the same reasons.

- DTEK 50 doesn't have the "familiar red notification spark"

- "Just how original do you expect a glass slab can be?" Zlich, I expect it to unoriginal xD. And this is why I dislike it.

- BIG NO, the software is not the only difference, Design is a critical and major difference, unless one is blind, then its all software, by all means.

I've said it over and over, I welcome all these DTEKs devices if they will help in sales. But no way in hell I'll like them or recommend them. And no way in hell I'll agree with people who tell me they're no different than original devices designed by BlackBerry. I actually don't recall anyone disagreeing with me on the fact that its not an original BB device, so you've got that going for you. A radical opinion so I had to blast it.
    So take a breath now. You misunderstood what the person you responded to was saying. And judging from your response, your big concern is design differentiation. So i would assume that's PKB (coming early next year by the way)? Because as the person you were responding to said, and as you agreed, all touch slabs are pretty difficult to differentiate at this point. Every manufacturer takes design queues from others. There is only so much they can do to differentiate.

What i don't understand is people being so angry that BlackBerry is using a reference to design to lower costs and stay in the handset game. They can no longer afford to keep handsets without this type of arrangement.
    And yes, software is a massive differentiator. Given that android is over 80% of the market and pretty much 100% of that is all touch slabs, then yes software becomes the differentiating factor.

BLu likes this.
    09-27-16 10:43 AM
    So take a breath now. You misunderstood what the person you responded to was saying. And judging from your response, your big concern is design differentiation. So i would assume that's PKB (coming early next year by the way)? Because as the person you were responding to said, and as you agreed, all touch slabs are pretty difficult to differentiate at this point. Every manufacturer takes design queues from others. There is only so much they can do to differentiate.

What i don't understand is people being so angry that BlackBerry is using a reference to design to lower costs and stay in the handset game. They can no longer afford to keep handsets without this type of arrangement.
    And yes, software is a massive differentiator. Given that android is over 80% of the market and pretty much 100% of that is all touch slabs, then yes software becomes the differentiating factor.

He contradicts himself, he is saying red notification when it doesn't have one. He is saying BlackBerry is about Hub, VKB and that's what matters. and you tell me I misunderstood him xD?

The phone doesn't even have the name on the front, if you see it up close from the front you won't know what device it is. Is there anything more unoriginal than that? Do you experience the same with an HTC, Samsung or any other phone? DO you fail to identify it from the front no matter how much close you get to it? Please, lets be real here. Yeah BlackBerry didn't take any design Que from anyone here haha. There is no design perks stolen from anyone, even Alcatel doesn't have anything special. Its the most generic design of a touchscreen phone. Its like saying you're imitating someone, when there is nothing to imitate. Do I steal something from you when I drive a car? No, everyone is driving one.

Maybe people are angry. I'm not angry, not at all, I like and applaud their efforts with this phone. I've stated this over and over. I've defended why they came up with this device over and over. I'm not angry with BlackBerry too, if I'm, I would be angry with his comment, not the phone. Long posts don't mean angry, disagreeing or blasting comments don't mean angry too.

Its a massive differentiator, but not the ONLY one, take care of what he said and what I said. He said its the only differentiator, it is indeed if you're blind. Oh not even if you're blind, how would you see it xD?
    09-27-16 10:53 AM
    I believe the new Z50 will be aimed at Priv users.

Posted on my Still Awesome Z30
    09-27-16 10:57 AM
    He contradicts himself, he is saying red notification when it doesn't have one. He is saying BlackBerry is about Hub, VKB and that's what matters. and you tell me I misunderstood him xD?

The phone doesn't even have the name on the front, if you see it up close from the front you won't know what device it is. Is there anything more unoriginal than that? Do you experience the same with an HTC, Samsung or any other phone? DO you fail to identify it from the front no matter how much close you get to it? Please, lets be real here. Yeah BlackBerry didn't take any design Que from anyone here haha. There is no design perks stolen from anyone, even Alcatel doesn't have anything special. Its the most generic design of a touchscreen phone. Its like saying you're imitating someone, when there is nothing to imitate. Do I steal something from you when I drive a car? No, everyone is driving one.

Maybe people are angry. I'm not angry, not at all, I like and applaud their efforts with this phone. I've stated this over and over. I've defended why they came up with this device over and over. I'm not angry with BlackBerry too, if I'm, I would be angry with his comment, not the phone. Long posts don't mean angry, disagreeing or blasting comments don't mean angry too.

Its a massive differentiator, but not the ONLY one, take care of what he said and what I said. He said its the only differentiator, it is indeed if you're blind. Oh not even if you're blind, how would you see it xD?
    Okay then.

09-27-16 11:11 AM
    No, he's talking about the on-screen "spark" in the UI - the one that overlays the icon when you have a notification, not the LED which is a different thing.

True, the Dtek50 does not have a red LED, but it seems the Dtek60 will have one along with the white selfie flash. Now, whether it's a true RGB LED or a single element red-only LED, we don't know yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 11:15 AM
    Not this Priv user it isn't. No PKB no sale.

PS: if specs is all you're after, look to the Chinese brands. Lenovo Zuk Z2 Pro is amazing, SD820, 6GB/128GB for $400 USD.
    09-27-16 11:20 AM
    No, he's talking about the on-screen "spark" in the UI - the one that overlays the icon when you have a notification, not the LED which is a different thing.

True, the Dtek50 does not have a red LED, but it seems the Dtek60 will have one along with the white selfie flash. Now, whether it's a true RGB LED or a single element red-only LED, we don't know yet.

Posted via CB10
    I was referring to the led so yes. DTEK50 doesn't have the red led, DTEK60 will.
    09-27-16 11:20 AM
    Not this Priv user it isn't. No PKB no sale.

PS: if specs is all you're after, look to the Chinese brands. Lenovo Zuk Z2 Pro is amazing, SD820, 6GB/128GB for $400 USD.
    To further add, since it got released today:

Xiaomi Mi5s: SD821, 4GB RAM/128GB, Around $344+
    Xiaomi Mi5s Plus: SD821, 6GB RAM/265GB, Dual Cam. Around $389+

Doesn't get better than that, great looking phones too.
    09-27-16 11:48 AM
    Is dtek60 really not gonna have the red light or BlackBerry logo on the front? I really hope that's not the case.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 12:00 PM
    Is dtek60 really not gonna have the red light or BlackBerry logo on the front? I really hope that's not the case.

Posted via CB10
    Not known at this point. DTEK50 didn't have it but the 60 is reported to have it, so maybe it will have the logo on the front, although evanblass just posted a photo that doesn't show the logo.

is the DTEK aimed at PRIV users?-ctwywhaxgaal26i.jpg

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/780698293877833728
    09-27-16 12:05 PM
    Not known at this point. DTEK50 didn't have it but the 60 is reported to have it, so maybe it will have the logo on the front, although evanblass just posted a photo that doesn't show the logo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CtWYwhaXgAAL26I.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	409081

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/780698293877833728
    If the logo on the front is a make or break then the device isn't for you. You might want to wait for the PKB device where you will get the differentiation you seek.

09-27-16 12:09 PM
    If the logo on the front is a make or break then the device isn't for you. You might want to wait for the PKB device where you will get the differentiation you seek.

Maybe you mean to quote antonrr. I stated earlier on that I'll never get a rebranded DTEK. Even with the logo and BB's design, I'm only into PKB BBs.
    09-27-16 12:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I didn't realize so many people still care about the darn colour of the stupid light. Maybe should start a business to desolder that white LED and replace it with a red one. Reminds me the old days of Nokia 3310 backlight modding.
    09-27-16 01:47 PM

I would venture to say that the DTEK50 and 60 are aimed more at those who have used the Z10, Z30 and the Leap...

Respect My Autoritah!
    09-27-16 02:19 PM
    I didn't realize so many people still care about the darn colour of the stupid light. Maybe should start a business to desolder that white LED and replace it with a red one. Reminds me the old days of Nokia 3310 backlight modding.
    I want the RGB LED, so I can set my colors to my notification type like I have on my Z10, and like I did on my 9800 before that, and my 8100 before that.

That's not so easy to just swap out.

Just red only... sure. But then, you might as well just use a red Sharpie over the light hole.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 03:07 PM
36 12