Hey guys. I own the Priv and DTEK 60 and I felt the DTEK 60 takes poor pictures in low light situations with no flash. When tested both in exactly the same situation, I was right. I'm gonna attach pics taken from both phones below. You be the judge.

By DTEK 60
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK 60 VS Priv low light camera comparison-img_20161115_0324516.jpg  
    buwee likes this.
    11-15-16 04:41 AM
    By Priv
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK 60 VS Priv low light camera comparison-img_20161115_0327379.jpg  
    11-15-16 04:42 AM
    I had similar experiences. One thing I will miss from the Priv.
    11-15-16 09:03 AM
    Ita because of OIS.

Optical image stabilisation.

It reduces hand held shakes and movement. Allowing the shutter speed to be reduced and therefore gather more light.

But it's actually the same sensor.

What you should do is change the mode the manual. You should be able to get the same image quality and exposure by matching the iso and shutter speed.

You will need a stead hand though.
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 11-15-16 at 11:32 PM.
    11-15-16 09:24 AM
    Bring up the manual controls and stick the ISO at either 3200 or 6400. Prepare for grain (as you'll get with the Priv) but that will result in the same shutter selection.

What's happening is that the "automatic" mode is running out of dynamic range to adjust, and the limits set on the DTEK60 are tighter than on the Priv. You can (and should) override it in low light. "Shoot right now" isn't going to happen in low light anyway since you need to hold the camera steady (OIS or not!) to get a decent shot AND your subject must NOT be moving (OIS does nothing for *subject* motion.)

I own both a Priv and DTEK60 and both have the same low-light performance (and they should as they have the same sensor.) The DTEK60 has the automatic adjustment limits set somewhat tighter than the Priv, which I would like them to change, but it's easily overridden.
    11-15-16 10:13 AM
    Bring up the manual controls and stick the ISO at either 3200 or 6400. Prepare for grain (as you'll get with the Priv) but that will result in the same shutter selection.

What's happening is that the "automatic" mode is running out of dynamic range to adjust, and the limits set on the DTEK60 are tighter than on the Priv. You can (and should) override it in low light. "Shoot right now" isn't going to happen in low light anyway since you need to hold the camera steady (OIS or not!) to get a decent shot AND your subject must NOT be moving (OIS does nothing for *subject* motion.)

I own both a Priv and DTEK60 and both have the same low-light performance (and they should as they have the same sensor.) The DTEK60 has the automatic adjustment limits set somewhat tighter than the Priv, which I would like them to change, but it's easily overridden...What's happening is that the "automatic" mode is running out of dynamic range to adjust.
    Can confirm that it's a metering (software) issue, not a capability (hardware) issue. The exposure metering on the DTEK60 underutilizes the full operating envelope of the sensor. I did some test shots between an iPhone 6 Plus and my DTEK60 in very low light. At first glance, the iPhone was way better, but once I manually exposed with the DTEK60 I was able to produce similar results in terms of detail and noise.
    11-16-16 09:12 AM
    Hey guys. I own the Priv and DTEK 60 and I felt the DTEK 60 takes poor pictures in low light situations with no flash. When tested both in exactly the same situation, I was right. I'm gonna attach pics taken from both phones below. You be the judge.

By DTEK 60
    I kind of think the Dtek60 won this round. Which lighting condition is closer to the realistic conditions? Plus, Dtek60 preserves way more detail, in my opinion.
    11-16-16 12:54 PM
    Your blind

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-16-16 01:57 PM
    The same sensor?
    Are they not advertised with different MPs?
    11-16-16 02:19 PM
    The same sensor?
    Are they not advertised with different MPs?
    The OIS and lens combination on the Priv does not illuminate the entire sensor, so they're not using all of it. It is the same sensor.
    11-16-16 02:59 PM
    The OIS and lens combination on the Priv does not illuminate the entire sensor, so they're not using all of it. It is the same sensor.
    That's interesting. I've never come across this before, unless this is a practice with smartphones cameras which admittedly I do not have a lot of knowledge on.
    Do you have a source where I can read up some more on this?
    11-16-16 03:30 PM
    I have to say that the DTEK60 Is not looking good on low light shots. I'm hoping BlackBerry can fix this through software updates. Priv rocks in low light shots.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 05:31 PM
    My Priv isn't the best in low-light shots.
    11-16-16 06:30 PM
    That's interesting. I've never come across this before, unless this is a practice with smartphones cameras which admittedly I do not have a lot of knowledge on.
    Do you have a source where I can read up some more on this?
    Google Sony imx230 sensor.

Read this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1090186

Search for smcv on crackberry, he is from Blackberry 's Camera department.

There so much info just on this on this site.

Also dxomark just reviewed the tcl950 which is the same phone as the dtek60
    11-16-16 10:46 PM
    Google Sony imx230 sensor.

Read this thread: DTEK60 camera compared to HTC 10, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7 Edge - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Search for smcv on crackberry, he is from Blackberry 's Camera department.

There so much info just on this on this site.

Also dxomark just reviewed the tcl950 which is the same phone as the dtek60
    I've been looking, but I cannot find anything that states that the Priv uses the 21Mp (5248x3936 pixel) Sony IMX230 sensor (from DxOMark).
    DxOMark makes reference to the Priv using a 18Mp sensor. Not a 21Mp sensor resolving a 18Mp.

Just never heard of this practice before and would love to read up on it.
    11-17-16 09:29 AM
    My Priv isn't the best in low-light shots.
    I live my PRIV with its 18MP camera. But the DTEK60 21 MP seems pretty good too. Here are some low light shots:
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK 60 VS Priv low light camera comparison-2063.jpg  
    11-17-16 08:43 PM
    I live my PRIV with its 18MP camera. But the DTEK60 21 MP seems pretty good too. Here are some low light shots:
    Attached Thumbnails DTEK 60 VS Priv low light camera comparison-2064.jpg  
    11-17-16 08:44 PM
    I know this is 2 months old thread but I wanted to know if DTEK60 camera software is now more mature? I am spoiled with great camera like S7 or Pixel so I am kind of hesitant get a DTEK60. I had Blackberry Priv in the past and it was somewhat acceptable but not great. DTEK60 Camera is better than Priv's camera overall?
    01-22-17 11:54 AM
    I know this is 2 months old thread but I wanted to know if DTEK60 camera software is now more mature? I am spoiled with great camera like S7 or Pixel so I am kind of hesitant get a DTEK60. I had Blackberry Priv in the past and it was somewhat acceptable but not great. DTEK60 Camera is better than Priv's camera overall?
    General consensus is it's very similar to the Priv's camera. Maybe SLIGHTLY better. But I wouldn't expect a huge jump or close to the S7 or Pixel.
    01-22-17 02:02 PM
    General consensus is it's very similar to the Priv's camera. Maybe SLIGHTLY better. But I wouldn't expect a huge jump or close to the S7 or Pixel.
    Thanks. I might try it and worst case I can just return it.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 02:35 PM
    In my opinion, the Priv rear camera beats the DTEK 60 in low light conditions easily. I found the DTEK 60 poor in low light conditions and it doesn't have the duel led flash like the Priv either.

In normal lighting conditions, they are very similar, perhaps the DTEK 60 is slightly better. The shutter speed is much faster on the DTEK 60 and there is no delay whatsoever.

The front camera on DTEK 60 is miles ahead of the Priv.
    01-22-17 03:15 PM