Well the niche for DTEK60 is this group.

People that buy smartphones that:

1) aren't advertised
    2) sold by carriers
    3) Follow tech forums like this
    4) For some reason pass over the 100s of options from companies not publicly signally they are exiting hardware.

It's a niche for such.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-22-16 03:28 AM
    They're never intended to cancel. Man the misconception of this forum is outrageous

Cancerous
    Maybe maybe not - however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if you switch your model to outsourcing production (by TCL) and then a few months after the release of the first model, you pull the plug on hardware, that the release of the second phone is likely to be due to contractual obligation.

Here's the key thing to look out for - does BBRY spend more or less than $7.50 on promoting this phone.
    JeepBB and anon(9353145) like this.
    10-22-16 03:30 AM
    What delay are you talking about ?

The only reason we know about device is because of leaks.

Blackberry never even announced it and yet people are speculating the release day like if they knew the ceo.

Shake my head
    Bla1ze has previously posted that the DTEK60 launch was delayed ... quoting "changes to marketing strategy" as the reason he'd been given for that delay.

Maybe Bla1ze does know the CEO?
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-22-16 at 06:43 AM.
    10-22-16 06:31 AM
    Maybe maybe not - however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if you switch your model to outsourcing production (by TCL) and then a few months after the release of the first model, you pull the plug on hardware, that the release of the second phone is likely to be due to contractual obligation.

Here's the key thing to look out for - does BBRY spend more or less than $7.50 on promoting this phone.
    Damn... and I thought that seeing the truth of what you say was clear to me only because I am a rocket scientist!

You mean to say it's possible for just anyone to put the pieces together as well?!

I'm humbled...
    cgk likes this.
    10-22-16 06:42 AM
    Bla1ze has previously posted that the DTEK60 launch was delayed ... quoting "changes to marketing strategy" as the reason he'd been given for that delay.

Maybe Bla1ze does know the CEO?
    I remember reading that as well. For people to say that it was never announced so there is no delay is wrong. It was delayed, that's why B&H, Staples etc put the phone up for order, they apparently never got the memo from BlackBerry that they are delaying it now because of some marketing strategy.

BlackBerry was going to put it up for sale and announce the same day it hit the websites for ordering.

What this marketing strategy is they are talking about is a mystery to me because I haven't seen anything yet in terms of marketing the DTEK60.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-22-16 07:16 AM
    Would the Xiami be considered stock Android? I ask because I am waiting to upgrade and don't want a Samsung because of all the useless junk on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 10:08 AM
    So you belive Chen has been planning all along to end their selling of hardware as a company... and planned to go ahead and release just one more phones right before pulling the plug? But after he announce they were ending their hardware business.... maybe, the BlackBerry way has rubbed off on him.

Personally I think he hoped that the PRIV would sell better once the price came down and that the DTEK 50 would at least pull them up close to profitability. But apparently none of that happened as they had to write off another $100 million in hardware last quarter...
    I actually do think he was planning this for a long time. He conveniently gave himself till September this year to "make the decision" i believe knowing full well what that decision will be.
    It's not like September rolled around and he though, oh **** I better do something with hardware. Then decided on a licencing model and snagged his first license deal all over night. So yes, he has planned this for a very long while.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-22-16 11:07 AM
    Would the Xiami be considered stock Android? I ask because I am waiting to upgrade and don't want a Samsung because of all the useless junk on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    Xiaomi runs a heavily skinned version of Android called MIUI. Far from stock Android.
    10-22-16 11:23 AM
    I actually do think he was planning this for a long time. He conveniently gave himself till September this year to "make the decision" i believe knowing full well what that decision will be.
    It's not like September rolled around and he though, oh **** I better do something with hardware. Then decided on a licencing model and snagged his first license deal all over night. So yes, he has planned this for a very long while.
    Damn it Ray... we're going to have to stop agreeing on things!

Yeah, Chen has made no secret of wanting to exit Hardware and his previous mention of September (many months ago) was (I also believe) intended to soften-up the fans for the ER announcement (in September) that BB was getting out of Hardware by the end of the fiscal year. I reckon some of the uber-fans here thought he was maybe joking?

The "exit decision" has been a done deal for months. And the licensing deal with Indonesia has probably been in play for months too... and was announced at the ER simply to soften the "We're done with Hardware" blow.
    ray689 likes this.
    10-22-16 11:27 AM
    well, if you haven't heard about these phones you probably belong to the mighty 0.01 percent of consumers, congratulations!
    10-22-16 11:34 AM
    well, if you haven't heard about these phones you probably belong to the very respectable 0.01 percent of consumers, congratulations!

PS: sorry for double post, it was my responce to bigjman...I'm still learning how to use this site
    10-22-16 11:38 AM
    well, if you haven't heard about these phones you probably belong to the very respectable 0.01 percent of consumers, congratulations!

PS: sorry for double post, it was my responce to bigjman...I'm still learning how to use this site
    It's the "quote" button down there on the bottom-right. While on the post you want to respond to, hit the "quote" button.

We were all new here once. Welcome!
    hubbie likes this.
    10-22-16 11:48 AM
    It's the "quote" button down there on the bottom-right. While on the post you want to respond to, hit the "quote" button.

We were all new here once. Welcome!
    thank youuuu!
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-22-16 12:55 PM
    Yet if the suppliers never pushed the device onto their websites, we would never know about it

so...
    10-22-16 01:01 PM
    Yet if the suppliers never pushed the device onto their websites, we would never know about it

so...
    You think several independent suppliers all simultaneously decided that on one specific October date they would all put up pre-order pages and take people's money without an explicit word from BB that they would soon have the stock to fulfil those sales contracts?

As I've said, Bla1ze has already posted that the launch was delayed at the last moment and stated that he'd been told the reason was "marketing".

It's just my supposition, but I expect the delay was so last minute that those pre-order websites didn't have time to pull the pages. If so, I doubt they retain much goodwill for BB after making them look foolish.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-22-16 01:49 PM
40 12