Ah, so you don't see him as soft and fluffy either, or one who'll say: "it won't make BB any money, but shucks, this one's for the fans!" then?

Good, good, we seem to agree on the unlikelihood of him ever releasing the Mercury...

And now the DTEK60 launch seems to be "paused" at the 11th hour (actually paused at 1 minute past midnight given the retailers who clearly weren't told in time to pull their webpages). This "pause" is for an indefinite period while "BB reassess their marketing" or some such (a nonsense reason in my opinion, but whatever)... and which makes me wonder about the DTEK60's prospects for release too.
    Where is this from???

It occurs to me that the Note 7 disaster is actually more of a problem than a solution for small companies for one big reason. People think the Mercury is likely to come out in January. Well by then Samsung will have likely quickly rejigged the Note 7 and made it the Memo 1 or something. How is Samsung going to ensure that is successful and wash away the burnt taste of the note? Well they will turn the marketing firehose to full and throw money at adverts, incentives, retailer incentives, POS etc - it will get awfully difficult to get the note of carriers let alone the public...
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-14-16 04:26 AM
    Where is this from???
    Bla1ze posted the "delay was due to changes in marketing strategy" (not a verbatim quote) as what he'd heard to explain the bizarre last minute pulling of the D60 which clearly surprised pre-order retailers!

No disrespect to our esteemed EIC, but I think the "marketing plans" excuse being put about by BB is just that, an excuse, and is total nonsense.

There was also a post in the "is DTEK60 Coming?" thread (on Tapatalk, so can't link thread) where the poster was originally told by a BB Rep that the D60 would be delivered by 19th... and was later told that due to unspecified reasons, BB had delayed the D60 launch for an indeterminate time.

So, bottom line. The DTEK60 launch is on hold, and it's unknown how long that "postponement" will last.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-14-16 at 05:11 AM.
    10-14-16 04:57 AM
    Is it possible the delay is for further testing of battery? Wondering in light of Note 7 if they had similar batteries? Not sure, just a thought.

Posted via my DTEK50
    kjtaylor1 and JeepBB like this.
    10-14-16 07:50 AM
    Is it possible the delay is for further testing of battery? Wondering in light of Note 7 if they had similar batteries? Not sure, just a thought.
    The same thought had occurred to me, and might explain the "marketing plans" cover story because even the suspicion that BB thought there might be a battery problem would be almost as fatal to the DTEK60's prospects as a "fer-real" battery problem... and the reputational damage to BB and its impact on their plans for a hardware licensing future would likely be immense.
    kjtaylor1 likes this.
    10-14-16 08:08 AM
    The same thought had occurred to me, and might explain the "marketing plans" cover story because even the suspicion that BB thought there might be a battery problem would be almost as fatal to the DTEK60's prospects as a "fer-real" battery problem... and the reputational damage to BB and its impact on their plans for a hardware licensing future would likely be immense.
    But the DTEK60 is based on the reference design for the Alcatel Idol 4S. Isn't it released already? No issues of catching fire.

I'd have to think the phones have been 'built' and are sitting in a warehouse, ready to go. It wouldn't make sense to not release them at this point, or am I missing something obvious?

You and yer cynicism... Stop raining on my Mercury parade, haha.

Here's my TINFOIL hat theory: Chen is in negotiations / talks with someone regarding handsets (or maybe more).
    10-14-16 11:21 AM
    Wow, battery problems on the rumored Dtek60?

Guys, you need to give your imaginations a break...
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    10-14-16 11:27 AM
    So what's the marketing plan they're talking about?

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    10-14-16 11:39 AM
    A tweet including a photo of the device instead of just a text tweet.

Posted via CB10
    StephanieMaks and kjtaylor1 like this.
    10-14-16 12:06 PM
    But the DTEK60 is based on the reference design for the Alcatel Idol 4S. Isn't it released already? No issues of catching fire.

I'd have to think the phones have been 'built' and are sitting in a warehouse, ready to go. It wouldn't make sense to not release them at this point, or am I missing something obvious?

You and yer cynicism... Stop raining on my Mercury parade, haha.

Here's my TINFOIL hat theory: Chen is in negotiations / talks with someone regarding handsets (or maybe more).
    AFAIK, the DTEK60 is a lash-up of the Alcatel 4 Pro with the Alcatel 4S screen. There may be other differences, such as the red led, but that's the main thing. So the D60 is actually a unique device. I don't know what the battery is, or whether it is at risk frankly.

What I'm pretty sure of though is that the reason stated (marketing) for halting the launch so suddenly that retailers didn't get the memo is completely made-up!

I kind of agree with you. As you'll know, I've always believed that the DTEK60 would be released and that it was already sitting in a warehouse too, and for the same reasons as you... the production costs are already sunk and it would make no sense to not release this phone. But, something has clearly occurred to cause Chen to pull what was clearly expected to happen imminently. Those retailers didn't randomly decide just to start accepting pre-orders... BB had obviously told them when it was launching. Similarly with the the guy whose BB Rep told him that he could have a batch of D60's between 17-19th October ... the launch was clearly planned to happen this week with a number of coordinated actions... and suddenly it's not happening.

Yeah, maybe Chen is negotiating an off-the-books deal with Samsung to offer the entire production run of DTEK60's to replace the Note 7. I'm starting to think anything might be possible because BB are losing the plot and are starting to defy rational explanation...
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    10-14-16 12:59 PM
    So what's the marketing plan they're talking about?
    I think I may have a bridge to sell you...
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-14-16 01:10 PM

As you'll know, I've always believed that the DTEK60 would be released and that it was already sitting in a warehouse too, and for the same reasons as you... the production costs are already sunk and it would make no sense to not release this phone. But, something has clearly occurred to cause Chen to pull what was clearly expected to happen imminently. Those retailers didn't randomly decide just to start accepting pre-orders... BB had obviously told them when it was launching. Similarly with the the guy whose BB Rep told him that he could have a batch of D60's between 17-19th October ... the launch was clearly planned to happen this week with a number of coordinated actions... and suddenly it's not happening.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear...

=)
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-14-16 01:20 PM
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear...

=)
    Great lyric!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Amer Bolbol likes this.
    10-14-16 01:41 PM
    Conspiracy theory time! Anyone want to guess reasons for the mystery delay?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-14-16 01:42 PM
    Conspiracy theory time! Anyone want to guess reasons for the mystery delay?
    Alien abduction, obviously.
    10-14-16 01:45 PM
    You forgot elvis sightings.

10-14-16 02:35 PM
    Worst case being....Samsung beating Blackberry to market with a physical keyboard phone faster than the awaited mercury. In total it will be two phones DTEK 60 and the Mercury behind.

Posted via CB10
    I'm way happy with my BlackBerry PRIV and Dtek50, but your right about Samsung, they will release a keyboard phone using BlackBerrys patient that's been shared, it's coming. I won't buy it but it will sell like hot cakes.
    10-14-16 02:41 PM
    I'm way happy with my BlackBerry PRIV and Dtek50, but your right about Samsung, they will release a keyboard phone using BlackBerrys patient that's been shared, it's coming. I won't buy it but it will sell like hot cakes.
    Not saying it's happening but Samsung needs to "Change the subject" on the Note 7 sooner than later. They do have a history of working together obviously (Knox / BES12, SecuSmart), and since Apple sees the end of BlackBerry handsets as a great opportunity in enterprise, it follows that Samsung wants to get more of that market before Apple. A PKB device would be one way of accomplishing it, and maybe even adding BlackBerry's Productivity suite (but not their launcher).

Let the rumour mongering begin... Anyone want to create an article on Seeking Alpha and get 'er going? =)
    10-14-16 02:56 PM
    I think I may have a bridge to sell you...
    I think I might have a super connector to sell you too. :P

Posted via CB10
    10-14-16 03:01 PM
    So maybe the delay has something to do with closed door negotiations between samsung and BlackBerry. I could go for a note8 with hub+ free and keyboard

JeepBB likes this.
    10-14-16 03:11 PM
    So maybe the delay has something to do with closed door negotiations between samsung and BlackBerry. I could go for a note8 with hub+ free and keyboard

Seriously?
    10-14-16 03:20 PM
    and since Apple sees the end of BlackBerry handsets as a great opportunity in enterprise
    Yeah, I think in Cupertino they are already scratching their heads over how to fulfill the additional demand created by "the end of BlackBerry handsets". I mean, good old Foxconn might have to squeeze in an extra shift to get iPhones in all those one or two million hungry soon-to-be former BBRY users' hands as that equals their iPhone sales of almost an entire weekend after all!
    10-14-16 03:24 PM
    Yup, that'll be it!
    10-14-16 03:28 PM
    Seriously?
    No not seriously because there will never be a note8. That brand name is done. Samsung will think up a new name if they're smart.

10-14-16 03:29 PM
    Yeah, I think in Cupertino they are already scratching their heads over how to fulfill the additional demand created by "the end of BlackBerry handsets". I mean, good old Foxconn might have to squeeze in an extra shift to get iPhones in all those one or two million hungry soon-to-be former BBRY users' hands as that equals their iPhone sales of almost an entire weekend after all!
    Don't shoot the messenger. Tim Cook's reaction on the announcement that BlackBerry no longer designing / outsourcing / etc handsets:

So the Financial Times asked Apple CEO Tim Cook what he thought about BlackBerry's announcement, which has been called the "end of an era."

"I think their sales have been fairly low for a while," Cook told The FT. "We are very focused on the opportunity and we see it as massive."
    10-14-16 03:53 PM

Don't shoot the messenger. Tim Cook's reaction on the announcement that BlackBerry no longer designing / outsourcing / etc handsets:

So the Financial Times asked Apple CEO Tim Cook what he thought about BlackBerry's announcement, which has been called the "end of an era."

"I think their sales have been fairly low for a while," Cook told The FT. "We are very focused on the opportunity and we see it as massive."
    I'm guessing the third world is what Cook meant.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    10-14-16 04:16 PM
109 ... 2345