Here is my two cents ...

As a happy Z30 owner for the past 3 years I am seriously interested in the DTEK 60.

I never wanted an android as it is rife with malicious software. If I can't have another updated BB10 device then I am intrigued by a locked down android that is customizable with the hub and other BlackBerry goodness. Add to that powerhouse specs (come on they are very solid) and as I said I think I will bite.

I've never been a fan of physical keyboards but I really do like the BlackBerry virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    vagos2006 likes this.
    10-02-16 12:37 PM
    I should add my only real superficial complaint is the name. Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 12:39 PM
    I've RMAed with BlackBerry twice and both times I had a new phone in my hands within a week. They were great actually. Not sure why people have had such bad experiences with them.

Posted via CB10
    My experience with them as been great.. I don't get it either
    10-02-16 12:49 PM
    Is it confirmed that the price is going to be $499 US? I think that might be a tough sell. BB needs to attract more customers and at $499 there are a lot of good choices. I was hoping for $399...
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-02-16 12:55 PM
    For me with iPhones? Superior silicon, actively updated OS (btw, "inferior", "outdated", "best" are highly subjective descriptors and generally pointless) very strong customer support, extensive 3rd party market, ease of use, some very nice accessories. Those parameters are of high value to me.

These types of markets are all cyclical and behaviors follow the same patterns in pretty well all industries. Consumers generally do win but largely because they have choices across price and capabilities. But the vast majority of OEMs suffer to deliver. You get a lot of contenders enter and exit but the majority will fail with a few long-stinging successes. Too bad, so sad, but that's the price the consumer inflicts by their demands.

You know, in its heyday RIM's handsets were among the most expensive and desired for the perceived exclusive cachet as the "executive" device as much as its capabilities. The irony that has popped out of the other shoe dropping amuses me.
    Piece of crap': Apple hit with proposed class action lawsuits over iPhone 'touch disease'
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/appl...tion-1.3786930
    ^^^
    If the phone is that great of quality then why the need to put so much value on customer support?

As for accessories, Google has a better and open ecosystem unlike Apple. At least Google has their apps on Apple. Apple only works with Apple. For example Facetime..
    If you like the closed ecosystem, OS, of Apple that is great but that's not how the Internet of Things will evolve.
    Apple will have to open up or die. IoS is now 8 years old with very few changes in that time.
    I was all in Apple for my ecosystem at home but now have converted to the wonderful world of Google Chrome Cast which now I can use my iPad or any Android.
    With Apple it's our way or the highway, like the dumb decision of the headphone jack. I will never go back to Apple for any new device (except Mac) as I am pro Open Source. By the way, BB10 is made up of about 60% Open Source Software, rest is QNX.
    Remember, Android holds 80% of the market Worldwide and only reason it's not even higher is because of iPhone market share in Canada and USA.
    iPhone and ioS were way ahead of its time a few years ago but no longer. They can't keep masking the high price justification with pretty exterior hardware that people cover up to protect the phone anyway.

Posted via my DTEK50
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 10-02-16 at 02:56 PM.
    10-02-16 02:02 PM
    Is it confirmed that the price is going to be $499 US? I think that might be a tough sell. BB needs to attract more customers and at $499 there are a lot of good choices. I was hoping for $399...
    Their target market is businesses and Government not consumers. Whatever the price is on ShopBlackBerry and other sites will be the "retail" price and not what their actual target market pays.
    Consumers that pay full price (like me) are just Gravy for them.
    BlackBerry is a much different company these days. Much different...

Posted via my DTEK50
    RobertP1 likes this.
    10-02-16 02:11 PM
    If the phone is that great of quality then why the need to put so much value on customer support?
    Where to start with a comment like this?

Hint: the added value to the consumer in premium products is not generally simply linked to the physical item itself.
    TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    10-02-16 03:05 PM
    Where to start with a comment like this?

Hint: the added value to the consumer in premium products is not generally simply linked to the physical item itself.
    But it's not so great was the point you missed. Read the article of poor customer service. I understand the value if it's actually worth it.
    Piece of crap': Apple hit with proposed class action lawsuits over iPhone 'touch disease'
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/appl...tion-1.3786930

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-02-16 04:19 PM
    I think the phone should stack up pretty well against the current flagships, especially at the cost. Here it is vs the Galaxy S7 Edge. Pretty good match up. Attachment 409281Attachment 409282
    I'm pretty sure Dtek60 has an AMOLED screen, at least the TCL 950 wich dtk60 is based on is Amoled, and that's a big plus for me.
    10-02-16 07:44 PM
    Funny to read How BlackBerry is great to update compare to one plus 3 while the main complaint on crackberry is ....where is 10.3.3 update.... so much delay

We have to know than if we buy Dtek 60, we could be forget just as PlayBook and BlackBerry 10. It's at our own risk.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 11:57 PM
    It's all about the price. If BlackBerry can price the DTEK60 closer to half of what an iPhone 7 or a S7 costs, they can sell a lot of them. Of course provided carriers release them because how else will people know this phone exists.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    10-03-16 04:18 AM
    It's all about the price. If BlackBerry can price the DTEK60 closer to half of what an iPhone 7 or a S7 costs, they can sell a lot of them. Of course provided carriers release them because how else will people know this phone exists.

And of course as BlackBerry always does, no marketing whatsoever. People I've talked to said BlackBerry is done they are no longer making phones. People actually think no more phones from BlackBerry. Little do they know that they have outsourced this now and the DTEK60 is arriving approx. October 11th.

This is BlackBerry's downfall, the no marketing is killing them, people don't even know they exist.

Posted via CB10
    RobertP1 likes this.
    10-03-16 05:19 AM
    Their target market is businesses and Government not consumers. Whatever the price is on ShopBlackBerry and other sites will be the "retail" price and not what their actual target market pays.
    Consumers that pay full price (like me) are just Gravy for them.
    BlackBerry is a much different company these days. Much different...

Posted via my DTEK50
    Their target market isn't working so much for them either, now is it? Plenty of government employees use iPhone and Android phones. BlackBerry claims that government and enterprise has been their target market for the last few years and look at where it has gotten them into. They no longer manufacture their own devices and they have 0.01% of the market share or whatever that real number is. I for one would love to purchase the new detek 60 but at $700 cnd that is slightly too high. A $600 market entry price would be a great value and may attract more potential android users. I say may, due to BlackBerry 's tarnished image outside of this community.

We need to stop these excuses we give BlackBerry and be upfront and direct with them. The detek 60 will not generate sales at that price. Chen and his foot soldiers need to become in tune with the Android world.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 06:44 AM
    I too I'm unsure but what i know is that blackberry is trying to keep up with compatition with andriod and apple
    10-03-16 06:52 AM
    Honestly, I'm unsure of whom BlackBerry are targeting with the DTEK60.
    Do you know?

To me, with the likes of Apple and Samsung releasing big hitters, when it comes to smartphones, I feel the DTEK60, isn't the device BlackBerry should be releasing. Of course, this is merely my opinion...
    I think you are spot on with your comment. Absolute disaster looming with the release of DTEK60. Cannot believe they would waste their time with this.
    10-04-16 05:09 PM
    Pixel a big hitter? Ugly chunky phone with large bezels. Ugly in my eyes. Dtek 60 is actually better looking imo.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-04-16 05:27 PM
    Pixel a big hitter? Ugly chunky phone with large bezels. Ugly in my eyes. Dtek 60 is actually better looking imo.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    Agreed. It's an ugly phone. The two tone back isn't appealing. Dtek60 has a much better look. Front and back.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 05:33 PM
    It's all about perceived value a lot people will spend what $800 to 900 on a apple phone, and not blink twice. Others think spending $400 to $500 is too much on a BlackBerry. I don't get people who will drop $85,000 on a pick up truck, my neighbour just has. I just about choked on paying $32,000 on a new Toyota. It's all about the value people see in that product,

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-04-16 05:37 PM
    It's all about perceived value a lot people will spend what $800 to 900 on a apple phone, and not blink twice. Others think spending $400 to $500 is too much on a BlackBerry. I don't get people who will drop $85,000 on a pick up truck, my neighbour just has. I just about choked on paying $32,000 on a new Toyota. It's all about the value people see in that product,

Posted via CB10
    People pay high for the brand, not really the device lol. BlackBerry is a dead brand when it comes to hardware, so obviously people are hesitant on throwing a lot of money at a brand that isn't big anymore in hardware

10-04-16 09:24 PM
    People pay high for the brand, not really the device lol. BlackBerry is a dead brand when it comes to hardware, so obviously people are hesitant on throwing a lot of money at a brand that isn't big anymore in hardware

I agree that people pay high for the brand, but Iphone 7 and Samsung Note 7 are very high quality compared to DTEK7. It's not fair to compare DTEK60 to top of the line phones.
    10-04-16 10:05 PM
    Dtek 60 specs look very good. Think it is coming out at a great time. Need to see some reviews on battery life.

Besides that I think the pixel phone is ugly. But that's a personal preference.
    Posted via CB10 on my PP
    Last edited by Adif_701; 10-04-16 at 10:59 PM.
    10-04-16 10:15 PM
    I agree that people pay high for the brand, but Iphone 7 and Samsung Note 7 are very high quality compared to DTEK7. It's not fair to compare DTEK60 to top of the line phones.
    Well it depends on who you ask about high quality because I personally find Note 7 and iPhone 7 inferior to BlackBerry Passport and Classic. At least BlackBerry phones aren't exploding in people's pockets! Haha

10-05-16 03:21 AM
    I think you are spot on with your comment. Absolute disaster looming with the release of DTEK60. Cannot believe they would waste their time with this.
    I think otherwise. I think they will do good on the DTEK60. The specs look amazing on this thing. People that value their security and want fast updates to security patches will it, like myself. Those who don't will buy oneplus3 and never see an update. To each their own.

After some time the price will come down, like it always does and people will buy it. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 03:55 AM
    Compare specs or the hardware on the outside? Spec wise they are right there with S7 and iPhone 7.

Posted via my DTEK50
    10-05-16 06:44 AM
    I've RMAed with BlackBerry twice and both times I had a new phone in my hands within a week. They were great actually. Not sure why people have had such bad experiences with them.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I RMAed 2 phones with DR and both times had no issues. Prompt and courteous people.
    10-05-16 09:35 AM
52 123